Mike Mayock On What the Vikes Should Do With Pick #8

Talk about the latest College games and players and discuss the NFL Draft here. Get reports on players, prospects, Draft Links, the latest Mock Drafts and other indepth analysis, plus the latest on the NCAA College games.

Moderator: Moderators

frosted
Career Elite Player

Mike Mayock On What the Vikes Should Do With Pick #8

Post by frosted »

Funkytown
Hall of Fame Inductee

Re: Mike Mayock On What the Vikes Should Do With Pick #8

Post by Funkytown »

From what I just read on NFL.com (I'd rather read than watch videos, so this was probably included in the video :D), he would take him first overall. So, yeah, getting him at 8 would be great.

I value Mayock's opinion(s) the most. We'll see how it plays out! Is it May yet?
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

fiestavike wrote:So far I find Mosely more impressive as a pure LB. Mack seems to excel at pass rushing, getting bend and whipping slow tackles around the edge. I'm sure he's a good player, I think it just depends what you are trying to do defensively.
I get the feeling a lot of fans are viewing him primarily as a pass rusher but he can play the entire LB position. He drops into coverage well and he's great in pursuit. He seems like a player that would be a great fit in Zimmer's defense because he plays "downhill", he's an excellent blitzer but he can also do what's necessary in coverage.
PurpleMustReign
Starting Wide Receiver

Post by PurpleMustReign »

Plus then we'd have Matt KHALIL, and KHALIL Mack. Wouldn't that be a hoot? Maybe Mack can change his last name to Matt. Or Matt can change his first name to Mack.
The Devil whispered in the Viking's ear, "There's a storm coming." The Viking replied, "I am the storm." ‪#‎SKOL2018
VikingLord
Hall of Famer

Post by VikingLord »

What Mayock said about Carr is really interesting. When asked if Spielman should consider moving back up into the late 1st to grab Carr Mayock basically says sure if Spielman is convinced that Carr could beat out the 1st rounder already on the roster. While I'm sure others here will interpret that statement differently, I took that to mean Mayock isn't convinced Carr is any better than Ponder.

On another, similar line - why would Spielman have to trade back up into the early 2nd to grab a QB if the QB-needy teams in front of the Vikings in the draft gorge themselves on QB's in the early 1st? It just doesn't make sense. I can see Rick trading up to grab a guy who is falling, but that won't be a QB this year. Trading up to get in front of teams that satisfied their needs in the early 1st makes no sense. Hopefully if the Vikings don't get their QB in the 1st Spielman will have the good sense not to panic and pull off some unnecessary trade to get one in the late 1st. If he intends to waste his high 2nd on a QB this year, at least have the good sense to stay put and don't trade away any picks to do it.

I hope somehow the Vikes get Murray in the 4th-6th range while using their first 4 picks to restock the defense and maybe get an offensive guard. They'd address their primary issue (lack of defensive depth) while also getting the next Andy Dalton for a fraction of the price.
Funkytown
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by Funkytown »

VikingLord wrote:
On another, similar line - why would Spielman have to trade back up into the early 2nd to grab a QB if the QB-needy teams in front of the Vikings in the draft gorge themselves on QB's in the early 1st? It just doesn't make sense. I can see Rick trading up to grab a guy who is falling, but that won't be a QB this year. Trading up to get in front of teams that satisfied their needs in the early 1st makes no sense. Hopefully if the Vikings don't get their QB in the 1st Spielman will have the good sense not to panic and pull off some unnecessary trade to get one in the late 1st. If he intends to waste his high 2nd on a QB this year, at least have the good sense to stay put and don't trade away any picks to do it.
I completely agree.
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

fiestavike wrote:I think those are fair observations, I just didn't find him as impressive as a tackler or when playing the run. Keep in mind this is just based off of youtube videos I have watched. Mack seems really agile and has great bend, but I think he would be better in a 3-4 OLB than a 4-3. I think he would be good in a 4-3 too though! It just depends what a team wants to do defensively. He's clearly a playmaker. As I said, Mosely just looks like more of a pure LB to me.
I understand. Mosely definitely looks like a pure middle linebacker, which could make him a good fit for the Vikings too.

Jim
Eli
Hall of Famer

Post by Eli »

It's interesting to hear Mayock say that Johnny Manziel reminds him of both Fran Tarkenton and Doug Flutie. Both for their scrambling ability and the ability to make something out of plays that break down. Plus, I'm sure he's thinking of Flutie's competitiveness and intangibles that enabled him to play bigger than his physical size. But he also notes the difficulty and lack of success Manziel has had when forced to play from the pocket.

That overall assessment reminds me way too much of Christian Ponder more than anyone else. He's better throwing on the run, when forced from the pocket, but he fails miserably from within it. That should be a giant red flag for the Vikings.
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

VikingLord wrote:What Mayock said about Carr is really interesting. When asked if Spielman should consider moving back up into the late 1st to grab Carr Mayock basically says sure if Spielman is convinced that Carr could beat out the 1st rounder already on the roster. While I'm sure others here will interpret that statement differently, I took that to mean Mayock isn't convinced Carr is any better than Ponder.
I just took it as a way of saying "if Spielman thinks he's worth it".
I see no reason to believe the Vikes spending their second round pick on a QB (either by standing pat or trading up) would necessarily be a "waste" and as Mayock pointed out at the end of that interview, it's February! The QBs haven't even thrown at the combine or had their pro days yet. The draft is months away and FAR from set in stone. There's enough depth at QB, and enough high quality at some other positions, that some of the teams picking ahead of the Vikes in R1, and the Vikes themselves, might choose to hold off on selecting a QB. There are enough questions about players like Manziel and Bortles that they could both fall. In short, while it's possible to make educated guesses about what will happen, we don't know what will actually happen. A variety of different scenarios could develop. There could be an early run on QBs or one of the QBs projected to go early could slip into the latter part of the first round, prompting a trade up to take him.

There are more than 3 QB-needy teams in this draft so even if Bridgewater, Manziel and Bortles are drafted in the top 7, that doesn't mean every team ahead of the Vikes that wants or needs a QB will have already satisfied that need, enabling the Vikes to stand pat and let whichever QB they want to "waste" a second round pick on fall to them. If they feel there's a QB in the late first round that's worthy of a reasonable trade up to acquire, and if they don't believe that QB will fall to them in the second, they should get him, whether it's Carr or somebody else.
I hope somehow the Vikes get Murray in the 4th-6th range while using their first 4 picks to restock the defense and maybe get an offensive guard. They'd address their primary issue (lack of defensive depth) while also getting the next Andy Dalton for a fraction of the price.
That sounds great but I suspect they're aiming to get more than the next Andy Dalton. :)
Mercy Percy
Franchise Player

Post by Mercy Percy »

PurpleMustReign wrote:Plus then we'd have Matt KHALIL, and KHALIL Mack. Wouldn't that be a hoot? Maybe Mack can change his last name to Matt. Or Matt can change his first name to Mack.
Matt Kalil - Khalil Mack Subtle differences my friend. :D
The term fan comes from FANatic or fanatical.
PurpleMustReign
Starting Wide Receiver

Post by PurpleMustReign »

Mercy Percy wrote: Matt Kalil - Khalil Mack Subtle differences my friend. :D
Lol, well its the thought that counts.

Sent from my SGH-T769 using Tapatalk
The Devil whispered in the Viking's ear, "There's a storm coming." The Viking replied, "I am the storm." ‪#‎SKOL2018