Potential Draft Targets

Talk about the latest College games and players and discuss the NFL Draft here. Get reports on players, prospects, Draft Links, the latest Mock Drafts and other indepth analysis, plus the latest on the NCAA College games.

Moderator: Moderators

dustbunnies68
Practice Squad

Potential Draft Targets

Post by dustbunnies68 »

I'm a big advocate of staying put at #8 in the draft. If one of the "Big 4" falls to us, take him, let Matt (assuming we get him to resign after he checks the market) start the season and bring the rookie in when he's ready or if Matt is struggling and the season seems to be spiraling. According to Mel Kiper Jr.'s1st Mock Draft, Teddy Bridgewater could be the odd man out to fall down the board. I know it'll never happen with combine workouts to come and surely trades but hey... I can dream.

In the instance that a combination of Oakland, Houston, Tampa, Jacksonville, and/or Cleveland select the "Big 4" then I would like Minnesota to take the best defensive player available on the board. Three names to keep in mind should be Khalil Mack OLB/DE, Anthony Barr OLB/DE and Darqueze Dennard CB. I don't think any would be a stretch at #8 and they should fit into both a 3-4 or 4-3 set (still waiting to hear what Zimmer has in mind for this team).

By taking the best defensive player in the first, it should allow us to sit tight and wait for one of the S.E.C. guys (McCarron, Mettenberger) to fall into our laps come 2nd round. I think that these guys may not have as much... "upside" as the aforementioned QB's but these guys may be the most NFL ready guys. They've played against and put up numbers against the stiff S.E.C. defenses. And all these 2 do is WIN!

In the 3rd round (2 picks), I'd like to see them address the secondary. A safety like Ahmad Dixon / Baylor, or Deone Bucannon S / Washington State. Maybe we went CB in 1st round, Max Bullough ILB / Michigan State could also be a great fit here. Also like a look at Aaron Murray if we have not yet solved that "young QB" issue that Norv is looking for. In this scenario, I believe it would be beneficial for the team to bring in a vet to possibly start the season and ease Aaron into a starting role. May be a 1-2 year project.

We will likely be receiving an additional pick or two in the 3rd or 4th via compensatory picks if/when Allen and Freeman walk in FA. May be a great spot to look for a value pick like a backup RB. Carlos Hyde / Ohio State, Andre Williams / BC, De'Anthony Thomas / Oregon could still be in the mix at this point.

From this point on, I believe we need to focus building up depth at CB, OL and S. A few of my favorite late round picks would include Seantrel Henderson T / Miami, Stanley Jean-Baptiste CB / Nebraska, Ty Zimmerman S / K-State, Trai Turner OG / LSU, and Jack Mewhort OT / Ohio State.

If we have not drafted that backup RB at this point James White / Wisconsin, James Wilder / FSU, and Silas Redd / USC could be absolute steals!!!

Let me know what you guys think!
We come from the land of the ice and snow,
From the midnight sun where the hot springs flow.
The hammer of the gods will drive our ships to new lands,
To fight the horde, singing and crying: Valhalla, I am coming!
Texas Vike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Re: Potential Draft Targets

Post by Texas Vike »

dustbunnies68 wrote:I'm a big advocate of staying put at #8 in the draft. If one of the "Big 4" falls to us, take him, let Matt (assuming we get him to resign after he checks the market) start the season and bring the rookie in when he's ready or if Matt is struggling and the season seems to be spiraling. According to Mel Kiper Jr.'s1st Mock Draft, Teddy Bridgewater could be the odd man out to fall down the board. I know it'll never happen with combine workouts to come and surely trades but hey... I can dream.

In the instance that a combination of Oakland, Houston, Tampa, Jacksonville, and/or Cleveland select the "Big 4" then I would like Minnesota to take the best defensive player available on the board. Three names to keep in mind should be Khalil Mack OLB/DE, Anthony Barr OLB/DE and Darqueze Dennard CB. I don't think any would be a stretch at #8 and they should fit into both a 3-4 or 4-3 set (still waiting to hear what Zimmer has in mind for this team).

By taking the best defensive player in the first, it should allow us to sit tight and wait for one of the S.E.C. guys (McCarron, Mettenberger) to fall into our laps come 2nd round. I think that these guys may not have as much... "upside" as the aforementioned QB's but these guys may be the most NFL ready guys. They've played against and put up numbers against the stiff S.E.C. defenses. And all these 2 do is WIN!

In the 3rd round (2 picks), I'd like to see them address the secondary. A safety like Ahmad Dixon / Baylor, or Deone Bucannon S / Washington State. Maybe we went CB in 1st round, Max Bullough ILB / Michigan State could also be a great fit here. Also like a look at Aaron Murray if we have not yet solved that "young QB" issue that Norv is looking for. In this scenario, I believe it would be beneficial for the team to bring in a vet to possibly start the season and ease Aaron into a starting role. May be a 1-2 year project.

We will likely be receiving an additional pick or two in the 3rd or 4th via compensatory picks if/when Allen and Freeman walk in FA. May be a great spot to look for a value pick like a backup RB. Carlos Hyde / Ohio State, Andre Williams / BC, De'Anthony Thomas / Oregon could still be in the mix at this point.

From this point on, I believe we need to focus building up depth at CB, OL and S. A few of my favorite late round picks would include Seantrel Henderson T / Miami, Stanley Jean-Baptiste CB / Nebraska, Ty Zimmerman S / K-State, Trai Turner OG / LSU, and Jack Mewhort OT / Ohio State.

If we have not drafted that backup RB at this point James White / Wisconsin, James Wilder / FSU, and Silas Redd / USC could be absolute steals!!!

I honestly had no idea what you were referring to w/ "big four" until half way into your post when it become somewhat clearer that you were referring to QBs and that you had likely included Carr under that umbrella. Assuming that is what you meant, I DO NOT like Carr at 8, at all. Even Bortles is a bit of a question mark for me. As for the rest of your post: I like much of what you said. It seems like Dennard has not quite graded out high enough to warrant the #8 pick, but I haven't seen him play enough to have a strong opinion myself. I'd love to get Mack. We need some LB help. One of the things I most look forward to this offseason is to watch what Zimmer and Speilman do to refashion this defense.
dustbunnies68
Practice Squad

Post by dustbunnies68 »

Texas Vike wrote:
I honestly had no idea what you were referring to w/ "big four" until half way into your post when it become somewhat clearer that you were referring to QBs and that you had likely included Carr under that umbrella. Assuming that is what you meant, I DO NOT like Carr at 8, at all. Even Bortles is a bit of a question mark for me. As for the rest of your post: I like much of what you said. It seems like Dennard has not quite graded out high enough to warrant the #8 pick, but I haven't seen him play enough to have a strong opinion myself. I'd love to get Mack. We need some LB help. One of the things I most look forward to this offseason is to watch what Zimmer and Speilman do to refashion this defense.
Sorry, I didn't clarify better. I also do not "like" Carr at #8. I believe a trade down to a mid-late 1st would get Speilman the extra picks he covets and a young QB that Norv wants. That being said, if there is a run on QB's at the top of the draft (as I assume there will be) I could see Speilman pulling a Ponder 2.0 and take Carr WAY TOO EARLY!
ocampo82
Backup

Post by ocampo82 »

dustbunnies68 wrote:I'm a big advocate of staying put at #8 in the draft. If one of the "Big 4" falls to us, take him, let Matt (assuming we get him to resign after he checks the market) start the season and bring the rookie in when he's ready or if Matt is struggling and the season seems to be spiraling. According to Mel Kiper Jr.'s1st Mock Draft, Teddy Bridgewater could be the odd man out to fall down the board. I know it'll never happen with combine workouts to come and surely trades but hey... I can dream.

I also agree with staying at 8 or trading back. I would not want a QB other than Bridgewater or Manzel unless its in the later rounds. I wouldn't mind Boyd if he fell to the late rounds. If they dont go QB in the first round I would like best available LB

I liked your idea of a playmaker at RB to supplement AD. Thomas from Oregon would be awesome. Especially if we get a rookie QB...simple check downs to Thomas could become big plays.

wish we could just fast forward to draft day, then to the start of preseason...but I guess the family needs some attention too :v):
dustbunnies68
Practice Squad

Post by dustbunnies68 »

ocampo82 wrote: I also agree with staying at 8 or trading back. I would not want a QB other than Bridgewater or Manzel unless its in the later rounds. I wouldn't mind Boyd if he fell to the late rounds. If they dont go QB in the first round I would like best available LB

I liked your idea of a playmaker at RB to supplement AD. Thomas from Oregon would be awesome. Especially if we get a rookie QB...simple check downs to Thomas could become big plays.

wish we could just fast forward to draft day, then to the start of preseason...but I guess the family needs some attention too :v):
Lol! Is it bad that my fiancée scheduled our wedding around Nebraska's first "bye" week this year?!?! She said, "The day will be stressful enough without you checking your phone every 5 minutes for a score update!"
dustbunnies68
Practice Squad

Post by dustbunnies68 »

dustbunnies68 wrote: Lol! Is it bad that my fiancée scheduled our wedding around Nebraska's first "bye" week this year?!?! She said, "The day will be stressful enough without you checking your phone every 5 minutes for a score update!"
I'm just praying that the weekend we are scheduled to leave for St. Thomas on our Honeymoon doesn't turn out to be the same weekend as the Vikings away game @ Tampa. I'm almost as anxious for the schedule release as I am for the draft!
dead_poet
Commissioner

Post by dead_poet »

Jadeveon Clowney - DL - Player

When asked about DE Jadeveon Clowney's work ethic, South Carolina coach Steve Spurrier said, "He was OK."

Spurrier isn't doing the talented Clowney any favors as the NFL world descends on Indy for the Scouting Combine. "He was OK. It wasn't like Marcus Lattimore, you know, every player is a little different," Spurrier said. "His work habits are pretty good, they're not quite like Lattimore, maybe Stephon Gilmore, Melvin Ingram, some of those guys, but when the ball is snapped he's got something no one else has." Any concerns over Clowney will be washed away once he goes through testing at the Combine. He's expected to post freaky numbers for a man that was listed 6'6/274.
Source: Profootballtalk on NBCSports.com
“Some people think football is a matter of life and death. I assure you, it's much more serious than that.” --- Bill Shankly
HardcoreVikesFan
Hall of Famer

Post by HardcoreVikesFan »

dead_poet wrote:Jadeveon Clowney - DL - Player

When asked about DE Jadeveon Clowney's work ethic, South Carolina coach Steve Spurrier said, "He was OK."

Spurrier isn't doing the talented Clowney any favors as the NFL world descends on Indy for the Scouting Combine. "He was OK. It wasn't like Marcus Lattimore, you know, every player is a little different," Spurrier said. "His work habits are pretty good, they're not quite like Lattimore, maybe Stephon Gilmore, Melvin Ingram, some of those guys, but when the ball is snapped he's got something no one else has." Any concerns over Clowney will be washed away once he goes through testing at the Combine. He's expected to post freaky numbers for a man that was listed 6'6/274.
To me, this is Juluis Peppers all over again. There were the same concerns about him coming out. He turned out all right I would say.

Clowney is too freakishly athletic to pass on in my opinion. Then again, if he is passed on until let's say pick eight, I wouldn't be upset. :)
A Randy Moss fan for life. A Kevin Williams fan for life.
dustbunnies68
Practice Squad

Post by dustbunnies68 »

dead_poet wrote:Jadeveon Clowney - DL - Player

He has no reason to do Clowney a favor! Spurrier owes him nothing. This reminds me of Pete Carrol a few years ago and his evaluation of then USC QB Mark Sanchez. Ol' Ball Coach is just telling people this kid may not be a practice superstar but he has that switch when the ball is snapped. Lot of college studs have this same issue. For the longest time they have simply dominated because of their God given abilities and did not have to "work hard" to get themselves to the top. The separation between great players and HOF players, is that one of the groups figures out that everyone on the NFL level also has those God given abilities and they will have to put in extra work to become the best! The other group is simply ok with being a good player and collecting their check.