Johnny Manziel

Talk about the latest College games and players and discuss the NFL Draft here. Get reports on players, prospects, Draft Links, the latest Mock Drafts and other indepth analysis, plus the latest on the NCAA College games.

Moderator: Moderators

Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Re: Johnny Manziel

Post by Mothman »

Thanks for the links!

This quote from the Manziel profile is interesting:
One issue that I found very concerning on film and addressed with NFL people is Manziel's tendency to vacate the pocket out the back, which rarely works in the NFL and can lead to major errors. He will need to become much more consistent stepping up in the pocket to avoid deep pressure if he hopes to become a successful NFL passer.
dead_poet
Commissioner

Post by dead_poet »

Mothman wrote: Thanks for the links!

This quote from the Manziel profile is interesting:
That's concerning, and I have a hard time believing it's a habit he'll be able to correct. He's never had to, as it's always worked. I think to some degree it still will. But it is a concern.
“Some people think football is a matter of life and death. I assure you, it's much more serious than that.” --- Bill Shankly
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

dead_poet wrote:That's concerning, and I have a hard time believing it's a habit he'll be able to correct. He's never had to, as it's always worked. I think to some degree it still will. But it is a concern.
I agree.

Did you notice that at the end of the Mack piece, Lande wrote;
He will be competing directly with Jadeveon Clowney and Anthony Barr to be the first defensive end/pass rusher selected, and if he performs well over the next three months, I believe he has a chance to be the first one selected.
That struck me as odd since I don't really see Mack as a defensive end or primarily as a pass rusher. Maybe he would be used in that capacity on a 3-4 team but I see him as a true NFL outside linebacker.

I confess, at this point, if the Vikings don't end up selecting a QB with the #8th pick but end up using it, I'm hoping they'll draft Mack.
Purple bruise
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by Purple bruise »

Mothman wrote: I agree.

Did you notice that at the end of the Mack piece, Lande wrote;
That struck me as odd since I don't really see Mack as a defensive end or primarily as a pass rusher. Maybe he would be used in that capacity on a 3-4 team but I see him as a true NFL outside linebacker.

I confess, at this point, if the Vikings don't end up selecting a QB with the #8th pick but end up using it, I'm hoping they'll draft Mack.
This team has greater needs than a LB.. Hopefully if they can't get a QB at 8 then they will trade up to get one or trade back for more picks and a 2nd round qb.
Do not mistake KINDNESS for WEAKNESS!

Best to keep your mouth shut and be thought a fool rather than open it and remove all doubt.
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

Purple bruise wrote:This team has greater needs than a LB..
Not many (other than QB) and at that point in the draft, I think it makes sense to select for talent/potential impact not just need.

When was the last time the Vikings had a genuine impact player, a real difference-maker, at linebacker? I can't even remember but I think Mack could be that kind of player.
VikingLord
Hall of Famer

Post by VikingLord »

Mothman wrote: Not many (other than QB) and at that point in the draft, I think it makes sense to select for talent/potential impact not just need.

When was the last time the Vikings had a genuine impact player, a real difference-maker, at linebacker? I can't even remember but I think Mack could be that kind of player.
I agree 100% on Mack. I would be ecstatic if he lasts to #8 and unless someone like Bridgewater drops, I think Spielman would have to be out of his mind to pass on a guy like that.

One other comment in regards to what Bruise said - #8 in a draft is not about filling a need. It's about finding a top-flight talent even if the team already has decent production at a spot. Think about when the Vikes drafted AD. They already had good production at RB out of Chester Taylor. They certainly could have skipped RB in that draft and focused on filling another position of greater immediate need. But the draft is like a box of chocolates (sorry for the Forrest Gump reference, but it fits). It gives what it gives, and teams that take what it gives even if they've already got that particular type of chocolate are going to be happier in the end than teams that ignore what the draft giveth and choose mystery chocolate based on immediate needs. As much as the Vikes may need a QB, where they sit in this draft it just isn't going to be in the box by the time they get to pick.

Let's see if Forrest, err..., Spielman, learned his lesson with Ponder.
BGM
Hall of Famer

Post by BGM »

I agree completely. Mack seems like a very special talent and I would be thrilled if the Vikings drafted him. But, for some reason I am hungry for chocolate.

Sent from my KFJWA using Tapatalk
"You can't be a real country unless you have a beer and an airline. It helps if you have some kind of a football team, or some nuclear weapons, but at the very least you need a beer." - Frank Zappa
MythBuster
Waterboy

Post by MythBuster »

Johnny Foolsball is a clown. The Vikes shouldn't touch him with a 10 yard pole. Here is a typical JFF play. Clean pocket, wide open receiver on the slant to the left and he decides to run into his O-Lineman for no reason. He doesn't know how to play QB. This backyard football junk he does every play will not fly in the NFL.

Texas Vike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by Texas Vike »

MythBuster wrote:Johnny Foolsball is a clown. The Vikes shouldn't touch him with a 10 yard pole. Here is a typical JFF play. Clean pocket, wide open receiver on the slant to the left and he decides to run into his O-Lineman for no reason. He doesn't know how to play QB. This backyard football junk he does every play will not fly in the NFL.
Interesting that he threw for a TD in your "Typical JFF (sic)" play!
dead_poet
Commissioner

Post by dead_poet »

Pretty in depth scouting report on Manziel: http://www.thesidelineview.com/scouting ... ny-manziel
“Some people think football is a matter of life and death. I assure you, it's much more serious than that.” --- Bill Shankly
Superman
Backup

Post by Superman »

Ideally you want high character to go along with high caliber skills, and I just do not like this guy! But I have to say from Youtube (I know that kills my credibility) he seems like the best qb in the draft by a long shot. And after a few years with boring Leslie Frazier, I almost want some defiant fire on the Vikes sidelines. I know we'll get plenty of that with Zimmer though. I like his instincts and touch on the football, it's pretty. Now can he mature under Zimmer, or does he have so much ego from the rich family, big contract, and friendships with Jay-Z and Drake that if things don't go his way he bails. I just don't know, but I DEFINITELY don't want the next Ponder or Gabbert.
Funkytown
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by Funkytown »

ESPN - Brett Favre tells USA Today Sports that QB Johnny Manziel reminds him of a "young Brett Favre"

:D
S197
Fenrir

Post by S197 »

dead_poet wrote:Pretty in depth scouting report on Manziel: http://www.thesidelineview.com/scouting ... ny-manziel
I thought the scouting report was pretty spot on and highlighted a lot of the concerns with Manziel. I wasn't a fan of the last paragraph though:
Ultimately, if Johnny Manziel wants to succeed as an NFL quarterback, he will have to learn to be more consistent beating teams from the pocket. He will have to become more consistent reading defenses, going through his progression, beating blitzes by hitting hot receivers, improve his accuracy from the pocket by setting his feet and stepping into his passes, and lastly after he does take off and run, slide to protect himself. If he is able to do those things, he can have a ton of success in the NFL.
So basically, not be Johnny Manziel. I think whoever takes him has to believe in his unconventional style and that it will translate to the NFL, not try to make him into a player he isn't. You want a pocket passer, go draft a pocket passer. Manziel is unconventional, it's what makes him so good and so scary at the same time. I'm not saying you can't tweak his mechanics or his style a little to be more suited for the NFL but trying to remold him into something he's not would be a mistake. You either believe in the "magic" and draft the guy, or you don't and you pass. The last thing you want to do is take the gun away from the gunslinger.
dead_poet
Commissioner

Post by dead_poet »

S197 wrote: I thought the scouting report was pretty spot on and highlighted a lot of the concerns with Manziel. I wasn't a fan of the last paragraph though:
So basically, not be Johnny Manziel. I think whoever takes him has to believe in his unconventional style and that it will translate to the NFL, not try to make him into a player he isn't. You want a pocket passer, go draft a pocket passer. Manziel is unconventional, it's what makes him so good and so scary at the same time. I'm not saying you can't tweak his mechanics or his style a little to be more suited for the NFL but trying to remold him into something he's not would be a mistake. You either believe in the "magic" and draft the guy, or you don't and you pass. The last thing you want to do is take the gun away from the gunslinger.
Spot on. Teach Kal-El about our ways, but don't take away his cape.
Funkytown
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by Funkytown »

ESPN - Johnny Manziel at combine: "I'm probably one of the most competitive people on the face of this earth"