Michael Sam and the Vikings

Talk about the latest College games and players and discuss the NFL Draft here. Get reports on players, prospects, Draft Links, the latest Mock Drafts and other indepth analysis, plus the latest on the NCAA College games.

Moderator: Moderators

PurpleKoolaid
Hall of Famer

Re: Michael Sam and the Vikings

Post by PurpleKoolaid »

Funkytown wrote: He better say that! :lol: I wonder if he is being sincere or just trying to make it look good.
Kluwe will tell us later. He is working with NSA as we speak, and already has lawsuits in the works for those NFL teams that haven't put in a good for for Sam (all the offices are bugged). I mean the guy is gay, that's all that matters, what are they waiting for? The next State of the Union address Obama can have Sam standing next to that gay NBA guy...because that's whats important. For those of us that don't give a flying F about what sexuality someone is, we have it force feed on us.
Funkytown
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by Funkytown »

PurpleKoolaid wrote:
LOL how about you try that. I have never seen anyone make such broad blanket statements. You take one extreme remark, and then take it to the exact other extreme, as if that makes it right.

Examples? :D Or do you mean my sarcastic responses to those extreme remarks?

Probably shouldn't take those too seriously, smarts.
Theres always a middle ground.
Yep, and I'm usually all about it. Usually.
NextQuestion
Career Elite Player

Post by NextQuestion »

Saw some quoted tweet by Brian Hall (Fox Sports) by Spielman that says "I don't care if a guy has three heads". Pretty sure that means "don't care as long as he makes us a better team"
Pull yr 84 jerseys out.
Funkytown
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by Funkytown »

NextQuestion wrote:Saw some quoted tweet by Brian Hall (Fox Sports) by Spielman that says "I don't care if a guy has three heads". Pretty sure that means "don't care as long as he makes us a better team"
That's good. Hopefully he's finding a few guys in the draft to do just that! ...and free agency, off the streets, whatever.

I don't care! Find 'em!
Just Me
Hall of Famer

Post by Just Me »

mondry wrote: Atheists haven't done anything for man? Science is the reason we can affordably feed millions of people. Antibiotics and advanced discoveries in medicine are the reason billions of people throughout history are alive today or lived much longer than they would have. A lot of extremely important human inventions have come from Atheists, Agnostics, or at least not christians. Guys like Albert Einstein, who helped develop the Atom bomb which helped immensely for winning WW2, and if it wasn't for our science outpacing Hitler's we'd be saluting Berlin 3x a day!
Here is a list of scientists who were also Christians. It is proper to point out that not all scientists are Christians (or believe in God) but the two aren't necessarily mutually exclusive. Some of science's greatest contributors have been Christians.

I want to set the record straight on a couple of items though: Einstein never worked directly on the Atom Bomb, he was thought to be a 'security risk.' It is a commonly held belief, but it is not true. Secondly, our science didn't outpace Hitler's. Our industrial might did. So while the Germans were able to produce technology that was superior to the Allies, they lacked the industrial capability to produce a sufficient quantity of these weapons to overcome their quantitative deficiency. Proof of the pudding, is the number of German scientists incorporated into the Space program after the defeat of Germany (both the Russian and the USA) as the Germans had already developed a sub-orbital rocket during WW2 (the V-2 rocket).

I read somewhere once: "Hypocrisy, self-deception, and intellectual dishonesty are all pretty much invisible to those infected with it. So there's a very good chance we all have some form of it that's as glaringly obvious to others as theirs is to us. Anyway, ideas are true or false because of how they correspond to reality, not how their believers do." Einstein was (for all practical purposes) an agnostic so if one were to suggest that only Christians have brought good things to civilization that would be disingenuous. If anything, though, the fact that Einstein didn't work directly on the bomb actually helps your argument, as he was responsible for revolutionizing physics (going beyond the Newtonian model) and some people consider the bomb to be 'evil.' (I happen to think it saved far more lives than it took, but that's a whole different debate).

I'd still prefer we lose the labels (i.e. all Christians are hypocrites; or all gays are 'gross', etc.) and treat people as complex individuals. But, it is understandable when both sides of a debate believe they have morality on their side, things get a little 'emotional.'
I've told people a million times not to exaggerate!
mondry
Hall of Famer

Post by mondry »

Just Me wrote:
I want to set the record straight on a couple of items though: Einstein never worked directly on the Atom Bomb, he was thought to be a 'security risk.' It is a commonly held belief, but it is not true. Secondly, our science didn't outpace Hitler's. Our industrial might did. So while the Germans were able to produce technology that was superior to the Allies, they lacked the industrial capability to produce a sufficient quantity of these weapons to overcome their quantitative deficiency. Proof of the pudding, is the number of German scientists incorporated into the Space program after the defeat of Germany (both the Russian and the USA) as the Germans had already developed a sub-orbital rocket during WW2 (the V-2 rocket).
Interesting about Einstein, but either way, we made the finished product first (or at least used the finished product first!) so something had to of gone right in that department. You're exactly right about our industrial capability though "Carrying" the load until we got to that point. Not sure on the exact words but a joke from the German tank commanders goes something like "we could destroy 9 ally tanks for everyone one of ours, but they always had a 10th." And that went for the American Shermans and the Russian t34's. The cannons often couldn't even penetrate the armor of the tiger tanks so the russians started ramming the tigers to see if that would work lol. In the end, Russian Winter might have been the best weapon the ally's had against the Tigers.

Yeah during the cold war capturing #### scientists was a top priority for both sides. Wernher von Braun is a name everyone should know more about.
NextQuestion
Career Elite Player

Post by NextQuestion »

Just read some of the religious talk on here. Interesting.

Do you like Phil Collins?

I've been a big Genesis fan ever since the release of their 1980 album, "Duke". Before that, I really didn't understand any of their work. Too artsy, too intellectual. It was on "Duke" where Phil Collins' presence became more apparent. I think "Invisible Touch" was the group's undisputed masterpiece. It's an epic meditation on intangibility. At the same time, it deepens and enriches the meaning of the preceding three albums. Listen to the brilliant ensemble playing of Banks, Collins and Rutherford. You can practically hear every nuance of every instrument. In terms of lyrical craftsmanship, the sheer songwriting, this album hits a new peak of professionalism. Take the lyrics to "Land of Confusion", in this song, Phil Collins addresses the problems of abusive political authority.

"In Too Deep" is the most moving pop song of the 1980s, about monogamy and commitment. The song is extremely uplifting. Their lyrics are as positive and affirmative as anything I've heard in rock. Phil Collins' solo career seems to be more commercial and therefore more satisfying, in a narrower way. Especially songs like "In the Air Tonight" and "Against All Odds". But I also think Phil Collins works best within the confines of the group, than as a solo artist, and I stress the word artist. This is "Sussudio", a great, great song, a personal favorite.
Pull yr 84 jerseys out.
Funkytown
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by Funkytown »

You and your music talk ;), but Against All Odds is the best. Great tune. :)
Just Me
Hall of Famer

Post by Just Me »

NextQuestion wrote:
Do you like Phil Collins?

I've been a big Genesis fan ever since the release of their 1980 album, "Duke". Before that, I really didn't understand any of their work. Too artsy, too intellectual. It was on "Duke" where Phil Collins' presence became more apparent. I think "Invisible Touch" was the group's undisputed masterpiece. It's an epic meditation on intangibility. At the same time, it deepens and enriches the meaning of the preceding three albums. Listen to the brilliant ensemble playing of Banks, Collins and Rutherford. You can practically hear every nuance of every instrument. In terms of lyrical craftsmanship, the sheer songwriting, this album hits a new peak of professionalism. Take the lyrics to "Land of Confusion", in this song, Phil Collins addresses the problems of abusive political authority.

"In Too Deep" is the most moving pop song of the 1980s, about monogamy and commitment. The song is extremely uplifting. Their lyrics are as positive and affirmative as anything I've heard in rock. Phil Collins' solo career seems to be more commercial and therefore more satisfying, in a narrower way. Especially songs like "In the Air Tonight" and "Against All Odds". But I also think Phil Collins works best within the confines of the group, than as a solo artist, and I stress the word artist. This is "Sussudio", a great, great song, a personal favorite.
American Psycho, correct? Was your intent to imply something?
NextQuestion
Career Elite Player

Post by NextQuestion »

Finally! :)

I've just been having fun with this thread now for the past few posts.
Pull yr 84 jerseys out.
Funkytown
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by Funkytown »

NextQuestion wrote:Finally! :)

:P
Just Me
Hall of Famer

Post by Just Me »

NextQuestion wrote:Finally! :)

If I had no sense of humor, I would long ago have committed suicide. :beerchug:
BGM
Hall of Famer

Post by BGM »

There are those we encounter in life whose opinions remain entrenched regardless of the facts. The question is, is there value in trying to change their minds, knowing that reason will barely dent their armor? For me, I have slowly discovered I have better things to do than tilt at completely unreasonable windmills. They will frustrate you to the point of sarcasm and frustration, and no one watching the discussion unfold will be swayed by either. There are some truly ignorant and hateful things being thrown out from all sides. I have resorted to use of the "foe" feature on some of the most hateful and ignorant. Some may find my intolerance for those who are unreasonable to be hypocritical. That may be true. But I am convinced that nothing I say will sway them, and there is greater reward in hoping that somehow they find a better path and focus on having productive discussions.

As for Michael Sam, he seems built to be an overachiever. Undersized, not a clear fit as DE or LB, but a high-character guy with a great work ethic. Based on that, I'm cheering for him to succeed. Unless he becomes a Packer, of course.
"You can't be a real country unless you have a beer and an airline. It helps if you have some kind of a football team, or some nuclear weapons, but at the very least you need a beer." - Frank Zappa
PurpleKoolaid
Hall of Famer

Post by PurpleKoolaid »

BGM wrote:There are those we encounter in life whose opinions remain entrenched regardless of the facts. The question is, is there value in trying to change their minds, knowing that reason will barely dent their armor? For me, I have slowly discovered I have better things to do than tilt at completely unreasonable windmills. They will frustrate you to the point of sarcasm and frustration, and no one watching the discussion unfold will be swayed by either. There are some truly ignorant and hateful things being thrown out from all sides. I have resorted to use of the "foe" feature on some of the most hateful and ignorant. Some may find my intolerance for those who are unreasonable to be hypocritical. That may be true. But I am convinced that nothing I say will sway them, and there is greater reward in hoping that somehow they find a better path and focus on having productive discussions.

As for Michael Sam, he seems built to be an overachiever. Undersized, not a clear fit as DE or LB, but a high-character guy with a great work ethic. Based on that, I'm cheering for him to succeed. Unless he becomes a Packer, of course.
Why would you cheer for him over any other kid out there that's trying to make it in the NFL as a LB/DE? That's what I don't get. All this talk about it, and just not here. Like he is something special. And hes not. Heck, half the people don't even know what position he will play. But because he said he likes guys, lets all wish him the best! I just don't get it.
Just Me
Hall of Famer

Post by Just Me »

PurpleKoolaid wrote: Why would you cheer for him over any other kid out there that's trying to make it in the NFL as a LB/DE? That's what I don't get. All this talk about it, and just not here. Like he is something special. And hes not. Heck, half the people don't even know what position he will play. But because he said he likes guys, lets all wish him the best! I just don't get it.
That's a valid question, but what's the alternative? (I'm assuming we don't want to wish him the worst?). He's going to garner attention (whether it's unwanted or not) because of the historic precedent of an openly gay player entering the NFL draft. Brian's statement focused on attributes that I think we all hold in high regard ("he seems built to be an overachiever. Undersized, not a clear fit as DE or LB, but a high-character guy with a great work ethic.") except for "undersized" part which usually activates the "Underdog" impulse in all of us. Who doesn't like a good underdog story a la John Randle (undrafted player who eventually makes it to the Hall of Fame, etc.). Brian also clearly stated based on that (previously mentioned attributes) he was hoping Sam succeeded.

In the end, it will be about how the person plays on the field. Wishing him the best, seems the 'decent thing' to do, wouldn't you agree? (Unless he's a Packer - In which case he is automatically considered 'scum' :wink: )