Mettenberger QB of the Future? Mock Draft

Talk about the latest College games and players and discuss the NFL Draft here. Get reports on players, prospects, Draft Links, the latest Mock Drafts and other indepth analysis, plus the latest on the NCAA College games.

Moderator: Moderators

frosted
Career Elite Player

Re: Mettenberger QB of the Future? Mock Draft

Post by frosted »

Skol_Zoss
Waterboy

Post by Skol_Zoss »

frosted21 wrote:Here's a good read on Murray:

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap200000 ... r-nfl-team
That was a good read. He's very high on Murray, moreso than anyone I know of at this time. Makes a great point about Murray beating out Mettenberger (which I completely forgot about).
Demi
Commissioner

Post by Demi »

frosted21 wrote:I have mixed feelings on Murray. I think he certainly is one of the more polished passers in the draft from the mental standpoint of the game. I think he shows nice anticipation on his throws and is quite accurate. I worry about his arm strength and his size. Don't know if they are valid concerns or not. I could get behind us drafting him. It'll be interesting to see how it shakes out.
I still don't understand the arm strength thing. I'm a big opponent of noodle arms and watching him play, he has more than enough arm. I'd worry about his size, but he can move in the pocket very well and find lanes. I'd love Murray over about any of the mid-draft prospects.

Supporting a noodle armed midget. What's this world coming to. :lol:
frosted
Career Elite Player

Post by frosted »

Demi wrote: I still don't understand the arm strength thing. I'm a big opponent of noodle arms and watching him play, he has more than enough arm. I'd worry about his size, but he can move in the pocket very well and find lanes. I'd love Murray over about any of the mid-draft prospects.

Supporting a noodle armed midget. What's this world coming to. :lol:
He does seem to have "it", doesn't he? I don't know - his arm strength is above average. He's not going to go out there and drop bombs deeeeeep down the field, but it's not as though we're talking about a Ponder-esque arm here, either. He can surely make most every throw, he just may have to adjust his timing, considering his ball doesn't get to the target with as much zip as some guys ball does, and NFL defensive backs are much better. Gil Brandt compared him a little bit to Drew Brees. That's nice. I like him, for the most part.
Rus
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by Rus »

I liked Mettenberger for a little while way earlier into the season when I was talking draft after about the sixth game.

He's got problems. Talentwise, on the field, he might be the third best quarterback in this draft. He draws a lot of comparisons to a certain quarterback from Pittsburgh. He also has similar off-field problems, in particular with women, booze, and a general lack of maturity.

It's pretty trendy to have the Vikings take the best player at each spot regardless of off-field and personal problems because Zimmer is their coach and he's had success with troubled players, but even Zimmer's got to have limits. If he doesn't, his assistants will. I'm sure Norv Turner wouldn't appreciate a quarterback that shows up to practice hungover. The Vikings picked a guy like that before...if you thought Christian Ponder was inconsistent, you should have seen Touchdown Tommy Kramer. One week he was Marino and the next he was basically Todd Marinovich. I just barely remember Tommy, as I was a kid at the time and just getting into football, but I have to believe that there was a direct proportion to how much my dad drank while Tommy was quarterback to when Wade Wilson took over.

If the quarterbacks past Bridgewater/Manziel slide, though, I wouldn't have a problem with the Vikings taking either Carr or Bortles. Garoppolo might be good. Turner might really like Garoppolo's super quick release and decision-making. Carr seems like a very solid choice. Bortles has some serious mechanics issues, kind of Ryan Mallett-like, but might be able to fix those.

(I only say Manziel goes high because I'm almost totally sure there's a team drafting high that will just take him to sell some tickets. He's probably my fourth or fifth best quarterback in this draft, including any off-field issues. Mettenberger is probably right after him.)
-Rus