A Football Life Series

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

Tark10
Starter

A Football Life Series

Post by Tark10 »

It would sure be nice if those guys would do a segment on some of our Viking greats. Ignored, as usual Grant,Marshall,Tarkenton...etc. I know they did a show on Page ( I think it was Sports Century). They were always treated poorly in the "70's. Cowboys, Steelers, Dolphins, Raiders got all the exposure. Anybody know if an episode has been done on any other Viking then Page?
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Re: A Football Life Series

Post by Mothman »

Tark10 wrote:It would sure be nice if those guys would do a segment on some of our Viking greats. Ignored, as usual Grant,Marshall,Tarkenton...etc. I know they did a show on Page ( I think it was Sports Century). They were always treated poorly in the "70's. Cowboys, Steelers, Dolphins, Raiders got all the exposure. Anybody know if an episode has been done on any other Viking then Page?

I think they did one on Cris Carter.
PacificNorseWest
Career Elite Player

Post by PacificNorseWest »

Saw both of those on Carter and Cunningham. Pretty good.

I think for younger Vikings fans born in the 80's and later, it would be nice to get one on the Purple People Eaters and that era.

Robert Smith might be a good story too.
Crax
All Pro Elite Player

Post by Crax »

I think John Randle is an obvious one to do as well. Undrafted guy to nfl star.
Tark10
Starter

Post by Tark10 »

I think they did one on John Randle. I think it was Sports Century. Most of the stories seem to be based on the newer players. I can't believe Marshall still hasn't made the HOF as yet. Hard to believe he never missed a game in 18 yrs with our Vikes.
Laserman
Hall of Famer

Post by Laserman »

What about Anthony Carter? One of the Vikings greatest WRs
NextQuestion
Career Elite Player

Post by NextQuestion »

Randle would be amazing. So would Moss
Pull yr 84 jerseys out.
UKno1VIKING
Transition Player

Post by UKno1VIKING »

They did the '98 vikings, for the missing rings series.
Maybe they should do one eventually for the '09 team
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

UKno1VIKING wrote:They did the '98 vikings, for the missing rings series.
Maybe they should do one eventually for the '09 team
They were a good team but I honestly I don't think they deserve a "Missing Rings" episode. They're one of many, many very good teams to reach a conference championship and fail to advance. They didn't have the kind of extraordinary season the '98 Vikes had and the Vikings had 3 teams in the '70s that actually reached the Super Bowl and lost. Those teams are arguably more deserving of a Missing Rings episode than the '09 team.
thatguy
Hall of Famer

Post by thatguy »

Mothman wrote: They were a good team but I honestly I don't think they deserve a "Missing Rings" episode. They're one of many, many very good teams to reach a conference championship and fail to advance. They didn't have the kind of extraordinary season the '98 Vikes had and the Vikings had 3 teams in the '70s that actually reached the Super Bowl and lost. Those teams are arguably more deserving of a Missing Rings episode than the '09 team.
How about they don't do anymore of those for ANY of the Vikings teams?! I was so close to being in tears having to relive the '98 season and subsequent heartbreak. Just a killer way to go out...
"The bravest are surely those who have the clearest vision of what is before them, glory and danger alike, and yet notwithstanding, go out to meet it." ~Thucydides
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

thatguy wrote: How about they don't do anymore of those for ANY of the Vikings teams?! I was so close to being in tears having to relive the '98 season and subsequent heartbreak. Just a killer way to go out...
I didn't watch that or the one about the '69 Vikings,. There's too much pain there for me...

Hopefully, one day soon, they'll be able to make a special about a Vikings team that won the Super Bowl.
saint33
All Pro Elite Player

Post by saint33 »

Mothman wrote: I didn't watch that or the one about the '69 Vikings,. There's too much pain there for me...

Hopefully, one day soon, they'll be able to make a special about a Vikings team that won the Super Bowl.
Being a younger fan, I only experienced the 98 season. But I bought the "history of the Vikings" DVD a few years ago, and it came with both "Missing Rings" shows as bonus features. Maybe it's because I didn't experience both seasons to the same extent as everyone here (I was only 9 for the 98 season), but I found both very interesting watches. Crushingly sad, but I enjoyed them still, the way I enjoy a great movie with a crushing ending.

Both shows are extremely well done, and make you feel proud of the teams we had those years, despite not getting the championship. The "History of the Vikings" DVD itself is a tad boring, and probably would not watch it again. However I've watched the Missing Rings episodes multiple times because they are that good
PurpleMustReign
Starting Wide Receiver

Post by PurpleMustReign »

Mothman wrote: I didn't watch that or the one about the '69 Vikings,. There's too much pain there for me...

I only recently became able to watch highlights of the 98 season. And that is only because of Moss and how freakishly talented he was and how so far ahead of his time he was.

Sent from my SGH-T769 using Tapatalk
The Devil whispered in the Viking's ear, "There's a storm coming." The Viking replied, "I am the storm." ‪#‎SKOL2018
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

saint33 wrote:Being a younger fan, I only experienced the 98 season. But I bought the "history of the Vikings" DVD a few years ago, and it came with both "Missing Rings" shows as bonus features. Maybe it's because I didn't experience both seasons to the same extent as everyone here (I was only 9 for the 98 season), but I found both very interesting watches. Crushingly sad, but I enjoyed them still, the way I enjoy a great movie with a crushing ending.

Both shows are extremely well done, and make you feel proud of the teams we had those years, despite not getting the championship. The "History of the Vikings" DVD itself is a tad boring, and probably would not watch it again. However I've watched the Missing Rings episodes multiple times because they are that good
They certainly sound good and I've seen other episodes in the series that were good. I'm sure I could watch them but it's not something I'm eager to do.:) I was just 7 years old when the Vikings lost their first Super Bowl and it was rough. The '98 season definitely had a crushing ending but the '69 Vikings were so heavily favored to win that Super Bowl that a loss seemed unthinkable to my 7 year old mind. It prepared me for tough losses to come but that was the hardest one to take and the one that still bothers me most.
thatguy
Hall of Famer

Post by thatguy »

saint33 wrote:
Being a younger fan, I only experienced the 98 season. But I bought the "history of the Vikings" DVD a few years ago, and it came with both "Missing Rings" shows as bonus features. Maybe it's because I didn't experience both seasons to the same extent as everyone here (I was only 9 for the 98 season), but I found both very interesting watches. Crushingly sad, but I enjoyed them still, the way I enjoy a great movie with a crushing ending.

We're around the same age then. '98 wouldn't have hurt as much for me had I not been at the game like I was. Never heard the Metrodome that silent before. I didn't cry too much after that game - I cried like a baby in '09 against the Saints though (moreso because I felt like we were cheated out of a win in the end).
"The bravest are surely those who have the clearest vision of what is before them, glory and danger alike, and yet notwithstanding, go out to meet it." ~Thucydides