Senior Bowl notes

Talk about the latest College games and players and discuss the NFL Draft here. Get reports on players, prospects, Draft Links, the latest Mock Drafts and other indepth analysis, plus the latest on the NCAA College games.

Moderator: Moderators

Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Re: Senior Bowl notes

Post by Mothman »

dead_poet wrote:Aaron Donald - DL - Player

Pittsburgh DT Aaron Donald received the 2014 Senior Bowl's most dominant practice player award.

Incredibly disruptive from the interior despite a 6-foot-1, 288-pound frame and 31 3/4-inch arms, Donald earned the 2013 Bednarik, Lombardi, Nagurski, and Outland Trophies in addition to ACC Defensive POY. "He's short in stature by NFL standards and doesn't maybe have all the measurables," said Senior Bowl North Squad coach Mike Smith, "but he's one of the more explosive guys we have." It's worth noting Bengals All-Pro DT Geno Atkins measured 6-foot-1, 293 coming out of Georgia. That precedent can't hurt Donald's chances of warranting a top-15 selection in May's draft.
Donald had an impressive Senior Bowl game yesterday. It was easy to see why he won those trophies. He was disruptive, as advertised.
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

Rob Rang's take on the Senior Bowl:

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/nfl- ... rs-fallers

His 10 players who helped their draft stock most and 5 who hurt their draft position:

Dee Ford, DE, Auburn
Aaron Donald, DT
Jimmie Ward, S, Northern Illinois
Crockett Gillmore, TE, Colorado State
Weston Richburg, OC, Colorado State
Brandon Thomas, OL, Clemson
Caraun Reid, DT, Princeton
Morgan Moses, OT, Virginia
Ryan Grant, WR, Tulane
Christian Kirksey, OLB, Iowa

Missed Opportunity:

Tajh Boyd, QB, Clemson
Cyril Richardson, OG, Baylor
Jordan Matthews, WR, Vanderbilt
Will Sutton, DT, Arizona State
Stephen Morris, QB, Miami

I've just provided the list but you can read Rang's comments on each player at the link above. I definitely agree with his take on Boyd and Morris. Neither QB impressed me at all.

For what it's worth, I thought the South QBs (Carr, Garoppolo and Fales) all looked good. I thought Carr looked like the best of the bunch during the game, even if his stat line doesn't show it. Despite all the negativity about him, in the right situation, he might be formidable.

I was glad to see Kirksey on the list above because he stood out to me too, as did Wisconsin LB Chris Borland, who has impressed me every time I've seen him play. FSU LB Telvin Smith was impressive too but he's a 218 lb. OLB. They were saying he might be moved to safety in the NFL.

If the Vikes want to add depth at RB, Toledo's David Fluellen might make a good late round choice for the position. He had a good game and he was an excellent player for the Rockets.
Loki
Veteran

Post by Loki »

"he who shall not be named." lol this needs to be an official board rule, No one shall speak the name of he who shall not be named.
ON TO VALHALLA
HardcoreVikesFan
Hall of Famer

Post by HardcoreVikesFan »

Mothman wrote:Rob Rang's take on the Senior Bowl:

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/nfl- ... rs-fallers

His 10 players who helped their draft stock most and 5 who hurt their draft position:

Dee Ford, DE, Auburn
Aaron Donald, DT
Jimmie Ward, S, Northern Illinois
Crockett Gillmore, TE, Colorado State
Weston Richburg, OC, Colorado State
Brandon Thomas, OL, Clemson
Caraun Reid, DT, Princeton
Morgan Moses, OT, Virginia
Ryan Grant, WR, Tulane
Christian Kirksey, OLB, Iowa

Missed Opportunity:

Tajh Boyd, QB, Clemson
Cyril Richardson, OG, Baylor
Jordan Matthews, WR, Vanderbilt
Will Sutton, DT, Arizona State
Stephen Morris, QB, Miami

I've just provided the list but you can read Rang's comments on each player at the link above. I definitely agree with his take on Boyd and Morris. Neither QB impressed me at all.

For what it's worth, I thought the South QBs (Carr, Garoppolo and Fales) all looked good. I thought Carr looked like the best of the bunch during the game, even if his stat line doesn't show it. Despite all the negativity about him, in the right situation, he might be formidable.

I was glad to see Kirksey on the list above because he stood out to me too, as did Wisconsin LB Chris Borland, who has impressed me every time I've seen him play. FSU LB Telvin Smith was impressive too but he's a 218 lb. OLB. They were saying he might be moved to safety in the NFL.

If the Vikes want to add depth at RB, Toledo's David Fluellen might make a good late round choice for the position. He had a good game and he was an excellent player for the Rockets.

Just a few notes: Dee Ford is a very underrated pass rusher. His size is what is hurting him. If he was just two inches taller and 15 pounds heavier, he would be a first round pick.

Trust me, I have watched a lot of Christain Kirksey as I am an University of Iowa student. Krisksey is a great talent. His downside is he tends to be undisciplined when he is containing. Another Iowa linebacker to watch is James Morris. I am surprised James Morris got no mention. Morris is one of the most underrated linebackers in the entire country.

Will Sutton, who was on the list of players that didn't perform, is a guy I think we should draft. Sutton, last year, was unstoppable. I don't know what happened this year, but his play really fell off. To me, it seems like he is a guy who lost motivation - the skill is still there. I think that Mike Zimmer would love to have a guy like Will Sutton this team. I bet Zimmer could do wonders with Sutton. Could you imagine Sharrif Floyd and a motivated Will Sutton terrorizing opponents on game day? That would be crazy.
A Randy Moss fan for life. A Kevin Williams fan for life.
dead_poet
Commissioner

Post by dead_poet »

ReFo: North vs. South, 2014 Senior Bowl

https://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2 ... nior-bowl/
Borland All Over Field

It was obvious early on that linebacker Chris Borland was one of the North’s top defenders as he made plays both in the running game and in coverage. One of the knocks on Borland coming into the game centered on his inability to shed blocks, but he had no issues juking past fullback Jay Prosch’s lead block to get in on the tackle at the 11:27 mark of the first. It was an impressive show of agility from Borland and could bode well for his second-level block shedding in the NFL.

He later showed his closing ability in coverage as he quickly sniffed out the screen pass and forced the fumble on running back Jerick McKinnon. As the draft process continues to unfold, Borland will be an interesting case in the yearly debate about measurables vs. production, but his +2.9 effort Saturday was a good step in the right direction as he states his case.
DE Dee Ford led the way picking up two sacks to go along with a hit, hurry, and a batted pass on his 33 rushes. He was amazingly quick off the snap, as he often had a step on opposing tackles before they even got out of their stance.
- North OT/OG Zack Martin was the team’s highest-graded offensive lineman at +2.0.
PFF Game Ball

Aaron Donald was too much to handle for the South’s offensive line as his +6.8 overall led all players
“Some people think football is a matter of life and death. I assure you, it's much more serious than that.” --- Bill Shankly