Jimmy Garoppolo lives up to hype in East-West Shrine Game

Talk about the latest College games and players and discuss the NFL Draft here. Get reports on players, prospects, Draft Links, the latest Mock Drafts and other indepth analysis, plus the latest on the NCAA College games.

Moderator: Moderators

dead_poet
Commissioner

Re: Jimmy Garoppolo lives up to hype in East-West Shrine Gam

Post by dead_poet »

Master Tesfatsion ‏@MasterStrib 10mTalked to QB Jimmy Garoppolo more tonight. Said Vikings haven't had contact at the moment, but lots of fans have on Twitter
“Some people think football is a matter of life and death. I assure you, it's much more serious than that.” --- Bill Shankly
HardcoreVikesFan
Hall of Famer

Post by HardcoreVikesFan »

I bet Garoppolo will sky rocket up draft boards. I just have that feeling that he will. He would be a guy to grab in the second, but no earlier than that.
A Randy Moss fan for life. A Kevin Williams fan for life.
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

HardcoreVikesFan wrote:I bet Garoppolo will sky rocket up draft boards. I just have that feeling that he will. He would be a guy to grab in the second, but no earlier than that.
Unless, of course, he turns out to be the real deal and then it won't matter if he was drafted with the first pick or the 60th... :)

Seriously, I know what you mean about not drafting Garoppolo too high but sometimes I think we all get carried away with treating the draft like it's some sort of strategy game in which value must be maximized in order to get the proper score at the end of the weekend's "game". The truth is that the real value of drafted players is determined over the course of their pro careers. I understand that you don't want to spend a first round pick on a player with a second round grade if you don't think anybody will draft him sooner because a move like that can deprive you of the opportunity to draft another quality player and still get that second rounder you covet. Nevertheless, given the position Garoppolo plays, I don't think it matters much if he's chosen in R1 or R2. A quality QB is well worth almost any first round pick and a mediocre-to-poor QB isn't really worth a first or second.
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

80 PurplePride 84 wrote:It's about value vs risk.
To some extent, that's definitely true but in the end I think it's really about results and little else. After all, it's the keystone of the team-building process. Value and risk are considerations and any good GM has to weigh those factors. It can be foolish to take wild risks and make extremely costly trades and those kind of moves will catch up to a GM fast if they don't work out well. However, beyond that, it's about results. If a "reach" becomes a superstar, only the most hardcore draft nut will still care that he was drafted "too high". A player who falls below where he was projected might seem like a great value and a low risk pick when drafted but unless he produces, that doesn't mean anything either.

I'm oversimplifying but hopefully, you understand what I mean. :)
dead_poet
Commissioner

Post by dead_poet »

NFL world is all abuzz about Eastern Illinois QB Garoppolo

http://www.suntimes.com/sports/25102521 ... ppolo.html
“Some people think football is a matter of life and death. I assure you, it's much more serious than that.” --- Bill Shankly
BGM
Hall of Famer

Post by BGM »

dead_poet wrote:NFL world is all abuzz about Eastern Illinois QB Garoppolo

http://www.suntimes.com/sports/25102521 ... ppolo.html

I am convinced he is going to go WAY too high considering the work that needs to be done with him. I won't be upset if the Vikings decide to draft him, but I do think anything above the 3rd round is all about the hype, not the reality.
"You can't be a real country unless you have a beer and an airline. It helps if you have some kind of a football team, or some nuclear weapons, but at the very least you need a beer." - Frank Zappa
mondry
Hall of Famer

Post by mondry »

Mothman wrote: To some extent, that's definitely true but in the end I think it's really about results and little else. After all, it's the keystone of the team-building process. Value and risk are considerations and any good GM has to weigh those factors. It can be foolish to take wild risks and make extremely costly trades and those kind of moves will catch up to a GM fast if they don't work out well. However, beyond that, it's about results. If a "reach" becomes a superstar, only the most hardcore draft nut will still care that he was drafted "too high". A player who falls below where he was projected might seem like a great value and a low risk pick when drafted but unless he produces, that doesn't mean anything either.

I'm oversimplifying but hopefully, you understand what I mean. :)
Well, you're right it's about "results" but you're acting like a negative result doesn't factor in at all. We don't even have to go back any further than Ponder at #12 to see how foolish that kind of thinking is. Thats the guy they wanted, they ignored the risk, and the end result is setting the QB position (which usually means the franchise) back 3 years. Babe Ruth hit 41 home runs in 1923, but no one remembers him striking out 93 times. That's not the approach I'd want my GM to take though!
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

mondry wrote:Well, you're right it's about "results" but you're acting like a negative result doesn't factor in at all.

Results are results. The word isn't inherently positive or negative. I wasn't acting as if negative results aren't a possibility. I just assumed that was obvious. The possibility is implicit in the statement that the draft is really about results.

Regarding Ponder, rather than saying the Vikings ignored the risk in selecting him, I'd simply say it was a risk they were willing to take, based on their situation and their estimation of Ponder. Like many first round picks, it didn't pay off. So it goes. There's certainly an argument to be made that it wasn't a risk worth taking but I disagree that the choice set the team back 3 years. Failure to manage that risk is what really set them back. They repeated the mistake they made with Jackson by putting all of their eggs in one basket.
BGM
Hall of Famer

Post by BGM »

fiestavike wrote: I really like the kid, as I've made obvious, not because of the hype, but because I've seen him play and been impressed. I predict that if the Vikings pass on a QB in the 1st and Garoppolo is sitting there in the 2nd, he will be selected with that pick.

edit* I even think there is a real possibility that they trade back into the end of the 1st to jump ahead of a team like houston who may pass on a QB with the idea of taking one to start the 2nd round.
Like I said, I would not be disappointed if the Vikings draft him. The thing is, I do not believe he is a 1st or 2nd round risk worth taking. But, the hype has been surging about him, so I would not be surprised if someone grabs him end of the first or early second round. I just do not think his talent warrants that high a pick. He is an intriguing prospect, however.
"You can't be a real country unless you have a beer and an airline. It helps if you have some kind of a football team, or some nuclear weapons, but at the very least you need a beer." - Frank Zappa
simonton18
Waterboy

Post by simonton18 »

Scouting Report from walterfootball.com
Strengths:
Excellent mechanics
Quick release
Strong arm
Can make all the NFL throws
Distributes the ball to a variety of weapons
Good on touch passes
Basis for good footwork
Athletic, can scramble
Decision-making
Field vision
Accurate in college
Improved throughout college
Intelligent
Hard worker
Good character
Intangibles

Weaknesses:
Level of competition
Not a dual threat
Learning curve with NFL defenses
Speed of reading coverage
Will he get flustered by NFL pass-rushers?
Small hands, fumbles

Summary: Thanks to the success of Cowboys quarterback Tony Romo, hailing from Eastern Illinois is no longer a bad thing for a quarterback. While playing at a lower level of competition is going to cause some doubts for any signal-caller, Garoppolo's skill set and his production landed him on the radar of NFL scouts during his senior season.

Garoppolo was a prolific point machine in 2013. He threw for 5,050 yards with 53 touchdown passes and nine interceptions while completing 66 percent of his passes. All 32 teams have scouted him this year, with two general managers visiting him on campus.

His impressive season landed him an invitation to the East-West Shrine Game. In St. Petersburg, Florida, Garoppolo had an impressive week of practice. He didn't dominate, but he consistently threw the ball well. Garoppolo displayed a strong arm and superb throwing motion. He showed some nice field vision with the ability to look off safeties to help open up his receivers.

When Alabama quarterback A.J. McCarron turned down the Senior Bowl, that opened up a spot for Garoppolo, who took advantage of the opportunity. Garoppolo played better in Mobile than he did the week previous, and that isn't surprising considering the rust factor and having better receivers to work with. Garoppolo had a good week of practice where he displayed accuracy, decision-making and had no issues practicing against a higher caliber of competition.

As a passer, Garoppolo has a nice skill set. He has a strong arm with a fantastic delivery. His quick release and field-vision potential illustrates the likelihood for him to be a good pocket passer.

For the NFL, Garoppolo will have to improve his feet and operating under three-, five- and seven-step drops. That will help him to throw the ball accurately and in rhythm. WalterFootball.com has received positive feedback on Garoppolo from scouts and coaches. They view him as a nice developmental option for the second day of the 2014 NFL Draft.

Player Comparison: Sam Bradford. Obviously, Garoppolo won't be drafted anywhere close to Bradford's slot as the No. 1 overall-pick in the 2010 NFL Draft. Bradford (6-4, 230) is bigger than Garoppolo, but they both have strong arms with good mechanics. Each one can move around and make all the throws the NFL requires. Some have compared Garoppolo to Tony Romo because they went to the same college, but Romo's mobility and spontaneous style of play is different from Garoppolo's.

NFL Matches: Jacksonville, Cleveland, Oakland, Minnesota, Tampa Bay, Arizona

There are a lot of quarterback-needy teams that could select Garoppolo on the second day of the 2014 NFL Draft. Going in the first round looks unlikely, but if one of the quarterback-needy teams in the top 10 drafts a different position, Garoppolo could be that team's target on Day 2.

The Jaguars, Browns, Raiders and Vikings are desperate to land franchise quarterbacks. Garoppolo would make sense as a plan B.

Tampa Bay could also have interest in Garoppolo depending on how the new regime feels about Mike Glennon. The Arizona Cardinals could also groom Garoppolo to be the heir apparent to Carson Palmer.
This is not Detroit, man! This is the Super Bowl!