Red McCombs is still an idiot

Talk about the latest College games and players and discuss the NFL Draft here. Get reports on players, prospects, Draft Links, the latest Mock Drafts and other indepth analysis, plus the latest on the NCAA College games.

Moderator: Moderators

Texas Vike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Red McCombs is still an idiot

Post by Texas Vike »

I really disliked McCombs when he owned the Vikings. He was cheap and had the annoying tendency to speak folksy Texan. I remember his line when he fired Dennis Green:
McCombs, who is from Texas, used an old country saying to describe Green's release. ''I admire Dennis a lot and appreciate what he's done,'' McCombs said. ''But I also know that we live by the fact there ain't never a horse that can't be rode and there's never a cowboy that can't be throwed.''
I later moved to TX, did grad work at UT Austin where the business school is named after him, and laughed every time I went by it.

He's now spoken out about the hiring of Charlie Strong… a great hire, IMO, but Red, a prominent booster, thinks they could have done better.

http://espn.go.com/college-football/sto ... trong-hire
"I think the whole thing is a bit sideways," McCombs said of the selection process during an interview with ESPN 1250 San Antonio. "I don't have any doubt that Charlie is a fine coach. I think he would make a great position coach, maybe a coordinator.
Are you kidding me? Strong was more successful at Louisville in the past few years than Mack Brown was at UT. A position coach?

Lastly,
How is it he has donated over 100 million to UT, yet he was so cheap with the Vikings? He has to be the world's most annoying man. /rant.
Hunter Morrow
Hall of Famer

Re: Red McCombs is still an idiot

Post by Hunter Morrow »

Everything is bigger in Texas, to include the b.s. they say to you. They lie to you
and expect you to compliment them for the gorgeousness of their brazen falsity, like
every con said to you is a treat, a twangy Mozart symphony.

He was a tightwad Jerry Jones who only knew how to get 40 million under cap
and whoop and holler with a phony ten gallon hat like he just hoisted the Lombardi trophy.

He makes me happy that our current ownership is felons from New Jersey.
They do not know what the hell they are doing either but they see us as a vanity project
and not an embezzlement opportunity so at least they spend the money and try to win.
Texas Vike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Re: Red McCombs is still an idiot

Post by Texas Vike »

Hunter Morrow wrote:Everything is bigger in Texas, to include the b.s. they say to you. They lie to you
and expect you to compliment them for the gorgeousness of their brazen falsity, like
every con said to you is a treat, a twangy Mozart symphony.

He was a tightwad Jerry Jones who only knew how to get 40 million under cap
and whoop and holler with a phony ten gallon hat like he just hoisted the Lombardi trophy.

He makes me happy that our current ownership is felons from New Jersey.
They do not know what the hell they are doing either but they see us as a vanity project
and not an embezzlement opportunity so at least they spend the money and try to win.
I am glad to report that not everything in TX is as gloomy as depicted here. Red just happened to embody some of the worst characteristics of my adopted state. There are also, other, very positive traits on display and for the most part I find the people here to be great.

Red publicly apologized, back-tracking rather quickly when his comments provoked a back-lash. I guess he's the one who got "throwed" off the horse this time! :D