Vikings 2014 Draft

Talk about the latest College games and players and discuss the NFL Draft here. Get reports on players, prospects, Draft Links, the latest Mock Drafts and other indepth analysis, plus the latest on the NCAA College games.

Moderator: Moderators

BallIsLife
Waterboy

Vikings 2014 Draft

Post by BallIsLife »

I don't think the vikings should draft a QB in the first round unless Teddy Bridgewater or Johnny Manziel are still on the board. If we can't get any of those two go defensive in the first round and pick up AJ McCarron in the second round.
22bsmith
Waterboy

Re: Vikings 2014 Draft

Post by 22bsmith »

I think it depends. Spielman has typically drafted the BPA (exception: Ponder, 2011) and I think we should stick to that plan this year. I think we'd be foolish to reach on a QB simply because we "need" one. Andy Dalton and Russell Wilson have proven that you can find a legitimate starter in the 2-3 rounds, whereas Blaine Gabbert and Ponder have proven that reaching for a need doesn't work out.

I think we are in a unique situation. Usually, picking in the top ten means you need help in a lot of places. I think we do, but on the defensive side. Offensively, we obviously need a QB upgrade and I'd love to see a new LG. Maybe a third receiver that could upgrade Jerome Simpson/Jairus Wright and a backup for Adrian Peterson. But those needs can typically be met in the later rounds.

In my opinion, this should be a defensive-heavy draft. I like where we're at with Brian Robison, Shariff Floyd, Chad Greenway, Xavier Rhodes, and Harrison Smith. This is assuming Kevin Williams and Jared Allen head elsewhere. I'd love to re-sign Everson Griffen, I love his athleticism and motor. That leaves some pretty glaring needs at MLB, SLB, CB2, DT and a safety to play along with Smith. I'm not sure there is anyone at 8 that would be worth the value there besides Khalil Mack from Buffalo. I think the kids a stud. He can put his hand in the ground and rush the passer but also play standing up and run sideline to sideline. I like Anthony Barr from UCLA as well, but he's more of a 3-4 rusher in my eyes. CJ Mosley and Ryan Shazier are LBs I like, but they would be too much of a reach at 8. Same with CB, guys like Darquez Dennard and the kid from Oregon (crazy name) are too high at 8. I really like LaMarcus Joyner from Florida State to play with Smith at safety, I think we could nab him in the third round.

So, we have a couple options in my opinion. If there's a quarterback we love at 8 and truly believe he could be a franchise QB (whether it be Johnny Manziel, Derek Carr, Blake Bortles, etc.) then take him. But don't take him unless we are 100% positive he can be our guy. No more developmental projects in AP's prime. Otherwise, take the BPA on defense. Or, trade down into the 12-16 range and take someone like Mosley, Dennard, Stephen Tuitt.

Just my thoughts. I think we are a few pieces away from winning the division again. We just need to nail this draft and find our QB.

SKOL!
BallIsLife
Waterboy

Post by BallIsLife »

There is no reason to reach for a QB the second should have a guy that can come in and lead this team. some guys that I think that we can get in the second are McCarron, Boyd, and Fales.

We also have around 27 million dollars in cap space to resign our own free agents or others so we can also fill our holes through free agency.
saint33
All Pro Elite Player

Post by saint33 »

No AJ McCarron please and thank you :puke:
Purple bruise
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by Purple bruise »

saint33 wrote:No AJ McCarron please and thank you :puke:
That guy smacks of Matt Lienart and Matt Barkley double no thank you.
Do not mistake KINDNESS for WEAKNESS!

Best to keep your mouth shut and be thought a fool rather than open it and remove all doubt.
Demi
Commissioner

Post by Demi »

Spielman has typically drafted the BPA
\

Really? Traded Percy. Drafted Patterson. Re-negotiated KWill to a one year deal. Drafted a DT. Cut Winfield, drafted a CB. :lol:

Cut McKinnie because we were over the cap...drafted a tackle.

:roll:

We'll see this year. Lose Allen...draft a DE?

BPA...when convenient.
Demi
Commissioner

Post by Demi »

80 PurplePride 84 wrote:It might be convenient but it's hard to argue that any any of those players weren't BPA at the time they were drafted.
Needed a QB, drafted Christian Ponder.

Sorry should have went further...
Just Me
Hall of Famer

Post by Just Me »

Demi wrote: Needed a QB, drafted Christian Ponder.

Sorry should have went further...

That's the one aberration that I see, actually. I know it's still early in his career, but Patterson seems to bring as much to the table as Harvin (sans the attitude). Assuming Patterson doesn't have a "sophomore slump" next year, I'm thinking that is one of the moves made by Spielman that is to his credit. It's hard to argue those players (except for Ponder) wasn't the BPA. Our need for QB was so desperate at that time, that even Ponder was the "BQBA" (at least in management's eyes) when the Vikings took him. If you recall correctly, EVERYONE was complaining about the Vikings not addressing the QB situation and always signing aging FA QBs.
I've told people a million times not to exaggerate!
PotGoblin
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by PotGoblin »

I know Johnny Football looked good last night vs Duke in the big comeback at the Chick-fil-A Bowl
Purple Pride till the end.
IIsweet
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by IIsweet »

Awesome site and 1st post as a new member!!! Kinda excited :thumbsup:
Manziel looked awesome last night and the commentators and draft experts are raving about him. They love his quickness and he has a swag to him. He was a special player last night. Really all year and last!
Anyways, I would be OK with Manziel, but think we are better drafting a Defensive player and then adding a QB later.
Interesting prospect will be the Garropollo kid. Maybe we trade back in the middle of first, acquire a 2nd , and nab this kid with that pick ? Just don't want to reach for a QB like others said! In complete agreeance.
I like Nix at NT. I think he and Floyd in the middle could become something.
New Head Coach and DC may want to bring in a 3-4 scheme?
Also, FA with $27 million allows us to sign some talent.
S197
Fenrir

Post by S197 »

Demi wrote:\

Really? Traded Percy. Drafted Patterson. Re-negotiated KWill to a one year deal. Drafted a DT. Cut Winfield, drafted a CB. :lol:

Cut McKinnie because we were over the cap...drafted a tackle.

:roll:

We'll see this year. Lose Allen...draft a DE?

BPA...when convenient.
Before he traded Percy, he drafted Percy, which seemed to be a pretty good BPA. Patterson was mocked by most as a 1st round talent and by many to go higher than the Vikings pick. Same with Rhodes, all the mocks I saw had a solid 1st round grade on him. Floyd was top 5 on a lot of boards including the leaked Cowboys draft board. All sound like BPA to me.

I'll give you Ponder, that one was a reach but I don't think Spielman reached on any of the picks this year. I don't think Kalil was a reach nor was Harrison Smith either. His record in the 1st round is pretty good.
VikingLord
Hall of Famer

Post by VikingLord »

I thought Childress drafted Harvin? Spielman was in the building, but wasn't it Chilly who flew down to Florida to meet with Harvin and his family?

I don't know if I can give Spielman credit on the Harvin pick. He does get full credit for the trade, though, although right now we don't know for sure who came out on the better end of that.
saint33
All Pro Elite Player

Post by saint33 »

VikingLord wrote:I thought Childress drafted Harvin? Spielman was in the building, but wasn't it Chilly who flew down to Florida to meet with Harvin and his family?

I don't know if I can give Spielman credit on the Harvin pick. He does get full credit for the trade, though, although right now we don't know for sure who came out on the better end of that.

It was rumored that Spielman was the advocate for drafting Harvin and that Childress was opposed to the idea because of character concerns. The trip down to Florida to meet Harvin and his family was supposedly an attempt to get Childress more comfortable with who Harvin was so that he would sign off on the selection. Which makes sense, since visiting Harvin a day before the draft if you're interested is a tip off to other clubs who may want to draft him that the Vikings were going to pick him
Last edited by saint33 on Fri Jan 03, 2014 12:17 am, edited 2 times in total.
mondry
Hall of Famer

Post by mondry »

saint33 wrote:
It was rumored that Spielman was the advocate for drafting Harvin and that Childress was apposed to the idea because of character concerns. The trip down to Florida to meet Harvin and his family was supposedly an attempt to get Childress more comfortable with who Harvin was so that he would sign on off on the selection. Which makes sense, since visiting Harvin a day before the draft if you're interested is a tip off to other clubs who may want to draft him that the Vikings were going to pick him
Yep, Spielman wanted him and Childress wasn't sold on it, so he made the trip to "get a better feel" of Harvin.
BallIsLife wrote: and pick up AJ McCarron in the second round.
He's made some crucial mistakes tonight, I would be very disappointed if he's our QB of the future.
VikingLord
Hall of Famer

Post by VikingLord »

mondry wrote: He's made some crucial mistakes tonight, I would be very disappointed if he's our QB of the future.
I told my son if McCarron marched Bama down the field with 54 seconds left I would advocate the Vikings draft him. I thought there was no chance in h3ll he could do it, but I was willing to give him the benefit of the doubt. On the very next play, he pulled a Ponder, fumbled, and sealed the loss.

McCarron is Ponder. I swear. It's like the Universe spit out two non-related twins when it comes to how each looks, acts, and plays QB. They each even have the hot wife/girlfriend. It's stunning, really. But it also allows Spielman to know enough not to re-draft Ponder I hope. Been there, done that, nothing to see here. If Spielman drafts McCarron, he seals his fate as GM of the Vikings IMHO.