2014 Vikings Draft Discussion

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

Re: 2014 Vikings Draft Discussion

Post by Pondering Her Percy »

I have looked over many mocks today and not one has had us going defense in the first round. We were taking either Bortles, Carr, or Manziel is every one that I looked at. I would much rather go defense but at the same time, I don't want to get screwed out of a QB come the second round. It's also going to be based on what QB needy teams go after a QB in the first and also, what team will sign Cutler if he leaves.

I'm really starting to lean toward trading down a few picks and taking Mosely or Nix and coming back with a QB in the 2nd
The saddest thing in life is wasted talent and the choices you make will shape your life forever.
-Chazz Palminteri
im4mnvikes
Starter

Post by im4mnvikes »

Pondering Her Percy wrote:I have looked over many mocks today and not one has had us going defense in the first round. We were taking either Bortles, Carr, or Manziel is every one that I looked at. I would much rather go defense but at the same time, I don't want to get screwed out of a QB come the second round. It's also going to be based on what QB needy teams go after a QB in the first and also, what team will sign Cutler if he leaves.

I'm really starting to lean toward trading down a few picks and taking Mosely or Nix and coming back with a QB in the 2nd

I have been saying trade down and get more picks for awhile now. There is no QB that looks like a sure bet as a 1st rounder and we have more serious needs on defense.
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

im4mnvikes wrote:
I have been saying trade down and get more picks for awhile now. There is no QB that looks like a sure bet as a 1st rounder and we have more serious needs on defense.
I agree as well. We all know that Spielman loves stockpiling picks. I could definitely see this as a possibility. I really hope QB don't fly off the board in the beginning
The saddest thing in life is wasted talent and the choices you make will shape your life forever.
-Chazz Palminteri
im4mnvikes
Starter

Post by im4mnvikes »

Pondering Her Percy wrote:I have looked over many mocks today and not one has had us going defense in the first round. We were taking either Bortles, Carr, or Manziel is every one that I looked at. I would much rather go defense but at the same time, I don't want to get screwed out of a QB come the second round. It's also going to be based on what QB needy teams go after a QB in the first and also, what team will sign Cutler if he leaves.

Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

I have a feeling this draft will play out much differently than a lot of the early mocks and internet discussions are suggesting. It's way too early to put much stock in mock drafts and the players who will enter the draft are about to undergo months of hard evaluation. Boards will shift. Players will move up and down, sometimes dramatically, and despite the number of teams that need a QB, I wouldn't be surprised when the draft rolls around if Bridgewater is the only QB to go in the top 10.

I also won't be surprised if Bortles, Manziel and Carr are all chosen in R2 or later.
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

Mothman wrote: I have a feeling this draft will play out much differently than a lot of the early mocks and internet discussions are suggesting. It's way too early to put much stock in mock drafts and the players who will enter the draft are about to undergo months of hard evaluation. Boards will shift. Players will move up and down, sometimes dramatically, and despite the number of teams that need a QB, I wouldn't be surprised when the draft rolls around if Bridgewater is the only QB to go in the top 10.

I also won't be surprised if Bortles, Manziel and Carr are all chosen in R2 or later.
Oh I agree 100%. I was just throwing that out there. As I said in another thread, I remember when Geno and Barkley were GUARANTEED 1st rounders and they had dramatic falls. Everything will definitely change.
-Chazz Palminteri
PurpleKoolaid
Hall of Famer

Post by PurpleKoolaid »

Teddy first, if we can swing the deal.

Jimmy if we cant. I love this kid.

Zach in the 3rd would be nice too. Our version of Big Ben.
Pepper2Moss
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by Pepper2Moss »

As a Louisville fan, I was holding out hope we'd still somehow have a shot at Bridgewater... He's absolutely shredding Miami in their bowl game right now, so I don't see him slipping outta the top 3.
im4mnvikes
Starter

Post by im4mnvikes »

Pepper2Moss wrote:As a Louisville fan, I was holding out hope we'd still somehow have a shot at Bridgewater... He's absolutely shredding Miami in their bowl game right now, so I don't see him slipping outta the top 3.

As you pointed he is shredding Miami, a very average defense at best.
Delaqure
Franchise Player

Post by Delaqure »

im4mnvikes wrote:
As you pointed he is shredding Miami, a very average defense at best.
But that's What he should be doing right? I'd be more concerned if he playing an average game against an average defense. I really think this kid has what it takes to be a pro. I will just be sorry that he won't be playing for us.
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

Even though our chances of getting Teddy are slim, you still never know what could happen. First of all, we have to see where we will be picking after Sunday and also you have to figure in the combine as well. Lets just say, I've seen crazier things happen
-Chazz Palminteri
Greg
Career Elite Player

Post by Greg »

headless_norseman wrote: NO ONE hit Tarkington!
his broken fibula against the Rams would disagree
S197
Fenrir

Post by S197 »

Now it's official, 8th pick in the 2014 draft.
PotGoblin
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by PotGoblin »

S197 wrote:Now it's official, 8th pick in the 2014 draft.
was going to post the exact same thing
Purple Pride till the end.
saint33
All Pro Elite Player

Post by saint33 »

I'm all for trading up with the Rams if Houston doesn't pick Teddy. This year's 1st, next year's 1st and one of our 3rds should be enough assuming there isn't a bidding war like the one for RG3