Draft Status

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

mondry
Hall of Famer

Re: Draft Status

Post by mondry »

dead_poet wrote:
Ah. Okay. :o I suppose I have a hard time doing that, because I want the best player over the course of his career as opposed to the best prospect.
Hah, me too!

Probably, but that's not always the case. We saw that with Shariff Floyd. Some were saying he should go #1 overall and he dropped to us with no injury or character concerns. Same with Harvin, AD, Moss, etc. (yes, these guys came with injury or character question marks, but the same could be said for Clowney). A guy like Clowney could easily drop to us at #8 after the year he's had and depending on how he performs at the combine and (perhaps just as importantly) during interviews.
And then I'd say that at some point along the line, the real NFL scouts (not the espn talking heads) determined he wasn't actually an elite prospect or there was something negative enough about him that elite prospects usually don't have but you're right it's not really worth trying to decipher, just give me a good player!

I think I'm getting where you're coming from, Mondry. It's hard to look at it from a purely prospective point of view when, as I mentioned earlier, I just want the guy that ends up being a stud, not just ranked as one.
lol yeah, that's really the bottom line. I think the most important thing about drafting a top prospect is that they probably have a little bit better of a chance to not just be a stud though, but to be perhaps the best to EVER play their position. That's certainly the case with AD and Megatron. Of course like I said, some guy in the 4th round might be the best player in THIS draft so it's not worth losing sleep over.
mondry
Hall of Famer

Post by mondry »

This loss did nothing to improve our draft position.

ATL - @SF, CAR - likely wont win either of these.

TB - NO - NO is just too good at home - loss

WAS - @NYG - Can no longer do better than us even if they win and we lose

OAK - DEN - Would be the biggest upset of the year, not happening.

Hou - Can't possibly do better than us already

JAC - @IND - Indy is still the way better team, not likely.

CLE - PIT - Browns -could- win it, but who knows.

Now for the "if we win another game" category.

NYG - Already won a game so we can no longer do better.

TEN - Already won a game so we can no longer do better.

BUF - Already won a game so we can no longer do better.

So with one week of football left to play, the draft window is starting to close. We can no longer get the #2 pick, so the best we could possibly do is 3rd. The worst we could possibly do also closes quite a bit going from 14th to 8th. That means even if we win against the Lions our draft spot can't be worse than 8th, we'll just be 8th for sure while if we lose 5 other teams could still win and improve ours.

But as it looks, it would be really surprising if we move much at all. Of the 5 teams we need to win, only the Browns look to have a "winnable" match up. The other 4 will be huge under dogs in their games.

That means I think there is a 60% chance we end up picking 8th. This has a good chance to play out because if we win it's what we get. If we lose, it's still what we could get. #7 is next most likely as if we lose and any of those 5 teams happen to win we move up on um.
Funkytown
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by Funkytown »

mondry wrote:
That means I think there is a 60% chance we end up picking 8th. This has a good chance to play out because if we win it's what we get. If we lose, it's still what we could get. #7 is next most likely as if we lose and any of those 5 teams happen to win we move up on um.
So, we should play to win, right? It's probably more meaningful? :twisted:

Good, I was beginning to worry about that. 8)
mondry
Hall of Famer

Post by mondry »

MelanieMFunk wrote: So, we should play to win, right? It's probably more meaningful? :twisted:

Good, I was beginning to worry about that. 8)
They always play to win, it's their job and their future resume for a lot of these guys. I don't believe Frazier was trying to tank either, I think he's just that incompetent to continually start the players he -thought- gave us "the best chance to win" like Ponder. I can't think of a time when a team didn't play to win!
Funkytown
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by Funkytown »

mondry wrote: I can't think of a time when a team didn't play to win!
Me neither. Those are just some sick fantasies fans have. :lol: