Derek Carr

Talk about the latest College games and players and discuss the NFL Draft here. Get reports on players, prospects, Draft Links, the latest Mock Drafts and other indepth analysis, plus the latest on the NCAA College games.

Moderator: Moderators

PurpleKoolaid
Hall of Famer

Re: Derek Carr

Post by PurpleKoolaid »

Mothman wrote: Read the post. He's not just a running a QB.
He's definitely an intriguing prospect.
Yeah, I know who Lynch is, but is is more known for his running (like tebow) then passing. That's why I thought maybe Texas Vike meant Jimmy Garoppolo . I sure wish we could get him with the our second pick, if we don't get Teddy with the 1st, but I doubt it.
S197
Fenrir

Post by S197 »

This is just one game but it emphasizes why Carr really worries me. It's a long clip because it's the entire game (his passes only) but you should get the gist after 5 or 6 minutes. Things to keep an eye on:

The number of 4 and 5 receiver sets Fresno runs. Carr is rarely under pressure and will be tough to evaluate how he will react in a busy pocket (sound familiar)?

There's no question he has a cannon for an arm but his footwork is really bad. He doesn't step into his throws and he often twists awkwardly.

Look at the number of screen passes he throws. That's why his percentage completion is so high.

I'm not saying he can't play in the NFL and I really don't care who his brother is, looking at him in person and on film, I just don't see a top 10 QB. Lets put it this way, if Colt Brennan and Case Keenum are low round/undrafted prospects, why is this guy rated so much higher? I don't see a whole lot of difference and all three QBs played comparable competition.
Demi
Commissioner

Post by Demi »

Forget top 10...I don't seen an NFL Qb regardless of where he is available...
Texas Vike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by Texas Vike »

PurpleKoolaid wrote: Yeah, I know who Lynch is, but is is more known for his running (like tebow) then passing. That's why I thought maybe Texas Vike meant Jimmy Garoppolo . I sure wish we could get him with the our second pick, if we don't get Teddy with the 1st, but I doubt it.
I'm watching Garopolo. Kid's got a serious arm and hyperactive, but effective, footwork. I just wonder what he'd look like playing against higher level competition. When I first turned this game on I thought it was a high school game!
Demi
Commissioner

Post by Demi »

mrc44 wrote: Ya I am not a big fan of Carr, I honestly think there are better QB's that could be found in the middle of the draft (i.e. Bortles)
Bortles looks just as bad...
Either could be an NFL QB, but watching the videos how can you not be further along by the time you're entering the NFL...
I'm watching Garopolo. Kid's got a serious arm and hyperactive, but effective, footwork. I just wonder what he'd look like playing against higher level competition. When I first turned this game on I thought it was a high school game!
Haven't seen him yet, PA on KFAN was talking him up recently though...as far as being on Vikings radar.
nfcnorthchamps25
Backup

Post by nfcnorthchamps25 »

How ironic would it be if Carr's draft status shot up to the point where he became the number one pick by the Texans. But in all reality I don't even see him as a first rounder. I see him as another Andy Dalton. Not bad, but without a wideout like AJ Green he won't be anything special in the NFL.
S197
Fenrir

Post by S197 »

Like I've been saying all along, not impressed.
But Fresno State, and in particular their much-heralded quarterback Derek Carr, did a disservice to their program and to their conference’s reputation in getting pasted by the Trojans. The Bulldogs looked outmatched throughout the majority of the game, and Mr. Carr – listed on Mel Kiper’s NFL Draft board as the top quarterback in the 2014 draft – overthrew open receivers on at least 3 separate occasions and otherwise looked less than dominant.
http://www.forbes.com/sites/prishe/2013 ... egas-bowl/
The Breeze
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by The Breeze »

S197 wrote:Like I've been saying all along, not impressed.
http://www.forbes.com/sites/prishe/2013 ... egas-bowl/
My favorite part is how the writer used dominant correctly.
Funkytown
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by Funkytown »

The Breeze wrote: My favorite part is how the writer used dominant correctly.
Dominate! :D
The Breeze
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by The Breeze »

MelanieMFunk wrote: Dominate! :D
Fraizer :wink:
Funkytown
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by Funkytown »

The Breeze wrote: Fraizer :wink: