13 NFL teams positioned to draft quarterback in 2014

Talk about the latest College games and players and discuss the NFL Draft here. Get reports on players, prospects, Draft Links, the latest Mock Drafts and other indepth analysis, plus the latest on the NCAA College games.

Moderator: Moderators

Mothman
Defensive Tackle

13 NFL teams positioned to draft quarterback in 2014

Post by Mothman »

NFL.com's Gil Brandt breaks the QBs in this draft down into 3 tiers and provides a list of 13 NFL teams that either "must have" or need depth at QB:

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap200000 ... ck-in-2014

His top tier:
Tier 1: Louisville's Teddy Bridgewater, Texas A&M's Johnny Manziel, and Fresno State's Derek Carr. Bridgewater and Manziel are underclassmen but have given every indication they are coming out early. In my opinion, all three have an above-average chance of going in the top 10.
Minnesota Vikings: The Vikings could be looking at a top-five pick when all is said and done. Ponder has been OK, but can he take a team to the playoffs? I'm not sure. And I can't figure the Josh Freeman thing out. He's been active for only one game; why isn't he playing? It seems that neither have starting futures in Minnesota. All three of my Tier 1 QBs would be upgrades.
Texas Vike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Re: 13 NFL teams positioned to draft quarterback in 2014

Post by Texas Vike »

Mothman wrote:NFL.com's Gil Brandt breaks the QBs in this draft down into 3 tiers and provides a list of 13 NFL teams that either "must have" or need depth at QB:

His top tier:

Good read. Thanks for posting it. I want to roll with Manziel.
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

Texas Vike wrote:Good read. Thanks for posting it. I want to roll with Manziel.
I'd be nervous about that but the Vikes could use a playmaking QB with a chip on his shoulder. I'd be more excited about Manziel than Carr or Bridgewater. I don't know if his game will translate well to the pros or not but there's only one way to find out!
Texas Vike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by Texas Vike »

Mothman wrote: I'd be nervous about that but the Vikes could use a playmaking QB with a chip on his shoulder. I'd be more excited about Manziel than Carr or Bridgewater. I don't know if his game will translate well to the pros or not but there's only one way to find out!
Me too, Jim. At this point, I see the gamble that he certainly represents as one totally worth taking. I do think getting the right coach to match up with him will be important.

I also wouldn't mind getting one of the highly regarded defensive players to give whoever our new coordinator is a shot to rebuild that mess. Someone to build around and to infuse that side of the ball with some real energy. Then take a 2nd tier QB in the 2nd.
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

Texas Vike wrote: Me too, Jim. At this point, I see the gamble that he certainly represents as one totally worth taking. I do think getting the right coach to match up with him will be important.

I also wouldn't mind getting one of the highly regarded defensive players to give whoever our new coordinator is a shot to rebuild that mess. Someone to build around and to infuse that side of the ball with some real energy. Then take a 2nd tier QB in the 2nd.
As far as defensive playmakers go, I'm pretty high on LB Khalil Mack (and not just because drafting him would give the Vikes both Matt Kalil and Khalil Mack!). However, barring a big, big trade, I can't imagine the Vikes will have a shot to land both Mack and Manziel.
S197
Fenrir

Post by S197 »

Mothman wrote:NFL.com's Gil Brandt breaks the QBs in this draft down into 3 tiers and provides a list of 13 NFL teams that either "must have" or need depth at QB:

His top tier:
His top tier scares the hell out of me with only Bridgewater seeming to be close to worth that high of a pick (even then I'm not sold). I know it's said every year but depending on where the Vikings end up drafting, they may be better trading down. Tons of holes to fill. If we stay, I'm warming up to the idea of Manziel. I really think he's going to be a huge risk but at this point, what's the worst that will happen, we don't win a Superbowl? Maybe it's time to roll the dice and hope that they finally fall in favor of the Vikings.
Texas Vike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by Texas Vike »

S197 wrote: His top tier scares the hell out of me with only Bridgewater seeming to be close to worth that high of a pick (even then I'm not sold). I know it's said every year but depending on where the Vikings end up drafting, they may be better trading down. Tons of holes to fill. If we stay, I'm warming up to the idea of Manziel. I really think he's going to be a huge risk but at this point, what's the worst that will happen, we don't win a Superbowl? Maybe it's time to roll the dice and hope that they finally fall in favor of the Vikings.
Something that I really like about Manziel? After gigantic success in his freshman season and some hints that he was feeling excessive contentment or satisfaction at what he'd accomplished …. he came back and played even better this season and even addressed some critiques of his game--becoming a better passer and relying on his mobility less. He is a gamble, but which prospect isn't? The possible reward with him is higher than with the others, IMO.
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

Texas Vike wrote:Something that I really like about Manziel? After gigantic success in his freshman season and some hints that he was feeling excessive contentment or satisfaction at what he'd accomplished …. he came back and played even better this season and even addressed some critiques of his game--becoming a better passer and relying on his mobility less. He is a gamble, but which prospect isn't? The possible reward with him is higher than with the others, IMO.
What I like about him is that he seems to have a natural affinity for the game. I love his confidence and he's been extremely productive but his height is a concern and he takes chances in college he probably won't get away with in the NFL. He'd be a risky pick, perhaps even a "boom or bust" pick, but the upside is hard to overlook!
The Breeze
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by The Breeze »

Him not being sure about Ponder makes me dubious of his evaluation in general...that being said, I don't know how you pick one guy over thevother when noone stands out.

Defintely the hardest position to evaluate IMO. Sure hope we land a solid kid....I don't care who it is.
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

The Breeze wrote:Him not being sure about Ponder makes me dubious of his evaluation in general...that being said, I don't know how you pick one guy over thevother when noone stands out.
It's tough. Like you said, i just hope the Vikes land a solid young QB. I don't acre who it is as long as it works out well!

I actually laughed at his question about Ponder because it's already been answered. He said he didn't know if Ponder could take a team to the playoffs but last year, Ponder started every game and the Vikes were in the playoffs. I realize Ponder didn't carry them there but basically, the question has been answered.
S197
Fenrir

Post by S197 »

Texas Vike wrote:Something that I really like about Manziel? After gigantic success in his freshman season and some hints that he was feeling excessive contentment or satisfaction at what he'd accomplished …. he came back and played even better this season and even addressed some critiques of his game--becoming a better passer and relying on his mobility less. He is a gamble, but which prospect isn't? The possible reward with him is higher than with the others, IMO.
I just think the gamble on him is a lot bigger than the other QBs but I agree the payoff is likely to be larger if he hits. He'll either end up like Favre, one of the great gunslingers, or like Tebow, out of the league in a few years. And just to be clear, I'm not saying his game is like Tebow, I'm just saying I don't see any middle ground with this guy, he'll either be special or a complete bust.
Texas Vike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by Texas Vike »

S197 wrote: I just think the gamble on him is a lot bigger than the other QBs but I agree the payoff is likely to be larger if he hits. He'll either end up like Favre, one of the great gunslingers, or like Tebow, out of the league in a few years. And just to be clear, I'm not saying his game is like Tebow, I'm just saying I don't see any middle ground with this guy, he'll either be special or a complete bust.

I agree. For me, I don't doubt his determination or his ability to handle the mental part of the transition. I have some doubt about how HIS style of play and level of ability will translate to the NFL game. Will the physical advantages he currently has over the competition disappear at the next level? The SEC is super competitive, but there is still a jump. I feel like that will be evident pretty early on--within a year or two. It won't be like w/ Ponder where we're sitting here wondering if the light bulb will go on and he'll become consistently consistent.

I don't understand why he's played so poorly against LSU two years in a row. He's done well vs. Bama, but LSU has his number it seems.
Demi
Commissioner

Post by Demi »

For me, I don't doubt his determination or his ability to handle the mental part of the transition.
Confidence maybe, but the "mental" part? Guy doesn't seem terribly bright to me. Which is reflected in the whole signing fiasco...and listening to him in interviews. But you'd have to work around him...and happy feet don't win super bowls. He's a college QB, he might be able to play in the NFL, but not win. mark it!
mondry
Hall of Famer

Post by mondry »

Well as always, trading down for a big deal is pretty much always the solution. However, if there is a DT, LB, CB, DE, or calvin johnson elite prospect there stand pat and take that guy. Qb... as much as we need one, this year seems really awful to me at the top. I could even see spending both 3rd rounders we have on back to back QB's and trying to solve it with more bodies rather than one guy.

Couple of these guys even tore ACL's and what not so you might be able to snag one in the 4th / 5th round for cheap and see if they can still play / get healthy.
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

Texas Vike wrote:I agree. For me, I don't doubt his determination or his ability to handle the mental part of the transition. I have some doubt about how HIS style of play and level of ability will translate to the NFL game. Will the physical advantages he currently has over the competition disappear at the next level? The SEC is super competitive, but there is still a jump. I feel like that will be evident pretty early on--within a year or two. It won't be like w/ Ponder where we're sitting here wondering if the light bulb will go on and he'll become consistently consistent.
For me, the biggest concerns are his size and his style of play. He'll eventually need to (primarily) be a pocket passer to achieve long term success in the NFL.