Derek Carr

Talk about the latest College games and players and discuss the NFL Draft here. Get reports on players, prospects, Draft Links, the latest Mock Drafts and other indepth analysis, plus the latest on the NCAA College games.

Moderator: Moderators

PurpleKoolaid
Hall of Famer

Re: Derek Carr

Post by PurpleKoolaid »

Carr just keeps going up and up. As Does Boyd and Zach.
saint33
All Pro Elite Player

Post by saint33 »

I don't like Boyd, honestly reminds me a bit of Josh Freeman. Big guy, mobile and pretty good at keep plays alive in the pocket. But he's extremely erratic with his throws, his ball placement is not good, however he's had very talented WRs who can make plays on off placed footballs.
PurpleKoolaid
Hall of Famer

Post by PurpleKoolaid »

saint33 wrote:I don't like Boyd, honestly reminds me a bit of Josh Freeman. Big guy, mobile and pretty good at keep plays alive in the pocket. But he's extremely erratic with his throws, his ball placement is not good, however he's had very talented WRs who can make plays on off placed footballs.
I was kinda big on Boyd before. He will definitely need a good coach, and at least a year to learn how to play QB in the NFL. Maybe 2 years. And he doesn't play well coming from behind.
The Breeze
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by The Breeze »

Carr with 6 Tds in the first half.....Fales with 5. :shock:
Texas Vike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by Texas Vike »

The Breeze wrote:Carr with 6 Tds in the first half.....Fales with 5. :shock:

I see six at the half time stats (not watching live). Does anyone play D in the Mountain West?
The Breeze
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by The Breeze »

Texas Vike wrote:
I see six at the half time stats (not watching live). Does anyone play D in the Mountain West?
yep...looks like Fales got another right before the half ended. Epic shootout here.
dead_poet
Commissioner

Post by dead_poet »

Derek Carr Carries Fresno St.
Carr has already thrown for nearly 4000 yards in operating offensive coordinator David Schramm’s no-huddle, spread offense. Schramm‘s offense is effectively a version of the Air Raid and this is what makes projecting a player like Carr to the NFL difficult.

Fresno State operates almost exclusively with 10 personnel (4 wide receiver, 1 RB, 0 TE) from the shotgun. The Bulldogs throw a high percentage of the time, mixing underneath routes with vertical throws. A large part of the Bulldogs’ offense is the wide receiver screen game, which effectively functions as Fresno State’s running attack. The Bulldogs use flash screens, tunnel screens and the like to constrain the defense and take advantage of defensive backs concerned with the down field passing game.

As a schematic matter, the wide receiver screen game is an effective counter for any passing team. NFL offenses increasingly utilize the outside screen game and if they do not, they probably should. Fresno State is extremely efficient with wide receiver screens and it forms a crucial part of the Bulldogs’ offense.

But it does limit evaluation opportunities of Carr when over half his throws are screen passes.
http://www.rotoworld.com/articles/cfb/4 ... -fresno-st
“Some people think football is a matter of life and death. I assure you, it's much more serious than that.” --- Bill Shankly
Texas Vike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by Texas Vike »

dead_poet wrote:Derek Carr Carries Fresno St.
http://www.rotoworld.com/articles/cfb/4 ... -fresno-st
Interesting stuff. His brother's difficulty in the NFL scares me a bit too; I feel like it shouldn't, but I'd be lying if I said it didn't.
Texas Vike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by Texas Vike »

Carr got snubbed for the Heisman (not even invited). Surprising that the kid from N. Illinois got the invite but he did not.
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

Texas Vike wrote:Carr got snubbed for the Heisman (not even invited). Surprising that the kid from N. Illinois got the invite but he did not.
Lynch had an absolutely outstanding, record-setting season for NIU so I can't say I'm surprised. I'm delighted, but not surprised. :)
Texas Vike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by Texas Vike »

Mothman wrote: Lynch had an absolutely outstanding, record-setting season for NIU so I can't say I'm surprised. I'm delighted, but not surprised. :)
Carr had better stats than even the shoe-in for the trophy (Winston), but from what I hear a fair amount of that seems due to their offense. Seems to be the topic of the morning: how to interpret QB stats in relation to the system they play in.

Is this Lynch kid coming out for the draft? Do you like him as an NFL prospect? Seems to me that there are a handful of prospects from smaller schools this year (Carr, Lynch, the kid from UCF). Might be nice 2nd to 4th round grabs.
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

Texas Vike wrote: Carr had better stats than even the shoe-in for the trophy (Winston), but from what I hear a fair amount of that seems due to their offense. Seems to be the topic of the morning: how to interpret QB stats in relation to the system they play in.

Is this Lynch kid coming out for the draft? Do you like him as an NFL prospect? Seems to me that there are a handful of prospects from smaller schools this year (Carr, Lynch, the kid from UCF). Might be nice 2nd to 4th round grabs.
Lynch is coming out for the draft but he's more of a late round prospect than a 2nd-4th round pick. He runs like a running back, which has been a huge part of his success as a college QB. He set the NCAA FBS single game rushing record by a QB this year with 316 yards rushing and then broke it a few weeks later with a 321 yard rushing performance. He's the fifth QB in NCAA history to throw for 5000 yards and rush for over for 4000 so he throws the ball well but to succeed in the NFL, he'll need more work as a pocket QB and he'll have to tone down his instinct to run a little. That said, he makes good decisions, throws pretty accurately and his intangibles and leadership qualities are off the charts so I do like him as an NFL prospect but as a late round, developmental QB, not a "plug and play" rookie. I just think he'll probably need a few years of refinement with a good coach before he can be a quality NFL starter and he's such a good runner that there will undoubtedly be teams who will want to draft him and ask him to change positions.

Put simply: he offers a lot of upside so I think he's well worth a look but I'm not convinced his game is going to translate to the next level. It's sure been fun watching him in college though... :)
PurpleKoolaid
Hall of Famer

Post by PurpleKoolaid »

Umm who the heck wants a running QB? How far did Tebow get? Well other then the 1 year where Denver beat Pitt in the playoffs.

Or do you mean Jimmy Garoppolo From E Ill.? No theres a QB worth taking.
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

PurpleKoolaid wrote:Umm who the heck wants a running QB? How far did Tebow get? Well other then the 1 year where Denver beat Pitt in the playoffs.
Read the post. He's not just a running a QB.
Or do you mean Jimmy Garoppolo From E Ill.? No theres a QB worth taking.
He's definitely an intriguing prospect.
Texas Vike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by Texas Vike »

Mothman wrote:
Lynch is coming out for the draft but he's more of a late round prospect than a 2nd-4th round pick. He runs like a running back, which has been a huge part of his success as a college QB. He set the NCAA FBS single game rushing record by a QB this year with 316 yards rushing and then broke it a few weeks later with a 321 yard rushing performance. He's the fifth QB in NCAA history to throw for 5000 yards and rush for over for 4000 so he throws the ball well but to succeed in the NFL, he'll need more work as a pocket QB and he'll have to tone down his instinct to run a little. That said, he makes good decisions, throws pretty accurately and his intangibles and leadership qualities are off the charts so I do like him as an NFL prospect but as a late round, developmental QB, not a "plug and play" rookie. I just think he'll probably need a few years of refinement with a good coach before he can be a quality NFL starter and he's such a good runner that there will undoubtedly be teams who will want to draft him and ask him to change positions.

Put simply: he offers a lot of upside so I think he's well worth a look but I'm not convinced his game is going to translate to the next level. It's sure been fun watching him in college though... :)
Interesting. I think UCF guy (Bortles?) sounds like the most interesting small school prospect. Carr too, but he's likely to go high. I'd like to actually take two QBs: one in Rd 1 and another with that extra 3rd we have. Then again… we have so many defensive holes!