Master 2013-14 College QB thread

Talk about the latest College games and players and discuss the NFL Draft here. Get reports on players, prospects, Draft Links, the latest Mock Drafts and other indepth analysis, plus the latest on the NCAA College games.

Moderator: Moderators

S197
Fenrir

Re: Master 2013-14 College QB thread

Post by S197 »

Demi wrote:Manziel & Mariota = Won't translate to NFL game. Book it, Danno.
Mariota is a homer pick for me since we went to the same high school but I think he shows more than Manziel. Manziel does some crazy things with his feet but he also makes poor decisions and tends to just sling the ball up for grabs at times. That won't work in the pros. Mariota has the same elusiveness but I think he scans the field better and has better ball placement. I wish he played some stiffer competition, it would be easier to evaluate him then. If they make it to the BCS championship it will be interesting to see how he fares against an SEC defense.
dead_poet
Commissioner

Post by dead_poet »

80 PurplePride 84 wrote:I still don't know if this is just his Top college QBs at the moment or if they're ranked off NFL potential? If it's the latter I disagree with Manziel being #1 and Winston is only a Redshirt Freshman so he can't come out this year.
I think it's his Top Quarterbacks at the moment. Just eliminate the ones not coming out this year if you'd like and you'd have a ranked list of his top draft-eligible QBs. IMO, there's not a whole lot that separates Manziel, Boyd, Mariota and Bridgewater in terms of pure talent and performance/execution. Obviously they are different in terms of scheme they run and a couple that are more running/scrambling QBs but I like calling them the Big Four. All four are studs. But it's hard to argue with Manziel's 71 percent completion percentage and 14:4 touchdown-to-interception ratio. 71% are you kidding me? He's the second most accurate quarterback in the entire country and has an absurd 10.3 YPA.

Keep an eye on FSU QB Jameis Winston, too, in the near future.
“Some people think football is a matter of life and death. I assure you, it's much more serious than that.” --- Bill Shankly
dead_poet
Commissioner

Post by dead_poet »

“Some people think football is a matter of life and death. I assure you, it's much more serious than that.” --- Bill Shankly
The Breeze
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by The Breeze »

Apart from commenting on who is better than whom, I will state the obvious and just say that there is some serious talent at QB in the chute.

It will be important for the Vikes to have somebody on their staff with a good track record for developing the position...assuming Freeman doesn't stun everyone and land the job.
dead_poet
Commissioner

Post by dead_poet »

Johnny Manziel - QB - Aggies

NFL.com's Daniel Jeremiah notes Texas A&M redshirt sophomore Johnny Manziel "extends plays better than any other" QB he has ever evaluated.

Jeremiah cites Manziel's combination of athleticism and creativity as the building blocks for this rare ability. His mobility was even more impressive considering Manziel injured his left knee in the first half against Ole Miss, but went on to rush for two touchdowns. Manziel is a difficult NFL evaluation, but his skill to extend plays mirrors Tony Romo, which has resulted in success at the next level.
Source: NFL.com
http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap200000 ... f-the-mark

---
Marcus Mariota - QB - Ducks

Washington coach Steve Sarkisian said Oregon redshirt sophomore QB Marcus Mariota will "be a top-five draft pick."

After Mariota torched the Huskies for 454 yards of total offense and three touchdowns in Oregon's 45-24 win on Saturday, Sarkisian said: "I don't know when he is planning on going to the NFL, but when he does, I think he'll be a top-five draft pick." NFL.com's Andy Fenelon wrote Sarkisian "linked a star opposing player to a high NFL draft pick" in an "attempt to plant a seed with the player or prospective agent in hopes of getting the player to leave early." Oregon fans shouldn't work themselves up by buying into that flawed logic, nor should anyone believe Sarkisian was engaging in tampering by replying to a reporter's question with the truth. If Mariota needed Sarkisian to alert him to the fact that he could be a Top-5 pick in May's draft, somebody should explain to him what the Internet is.
Source: NFL.com Oct 14 - 6:40 PM
dead_poet
Commissioner

Post by dead_poet »

QB tracker: Johnny Manziel remains No. 1; fresh names crack list

1. Johnny Manziel, Texas A&M (Last week's rank: 1)
Johnny Football's legacy was already in place in Aggieland after he captured the Heisman Trophy as a redshirt freshman, but he cemented his standing as one of the greatest players in college football with his heroic performance against Ole Miss. Not only did Manziel top the 300-passing-yard/100-rushing-yard mark for the fourth time in his career -- the most in NCAA FBS history -- but he topped the 7,000-yard mark in total offense in his 19th career game. Those feats are remarkable accomplishments at any level, but especially against the tough defenses reigning supreme in the SEC.
2. Marcus Mariota, Oregon (Last week's rank: 4)
If not for the spectacular play of the reigning Heisman Trophy winner, Mariota would be the runaway selection as the No. 1 pick on the list. The super sophomore has been magnificent as the director of the Ducks' high-powered attack. He has totaled 25 combined touchdowns without committing a single turnover. That speaks volumes about his intelligence, consistency and judgment at the position. More importantly, it is a key reason why the Ducks have rolled over every opponent with little resistance.
3. Tajh Boyd, Clemson (Last week's rank: 2)
Boyd is on record saying that he wants college football fans to remember his name; he will get a chance to cement his legacy with a blockbuster showdown against Florida State this weekend. To this point, Boyd has exceeded expectations as one of the top playmakers in college football, but a red-letter win against the Seminoles would silence the skeptics questioning the Tigers' legitimacy as national-championship contenders.
4. Teddy Bridgewater, Louisville (Last week's rank: 3)
The college football world finally got an opportunity to see Bridgewater on a big stage against a quality opponent. Although he didn't put on a spectacular showing, Bridgewater certainly didn't kill the buzz building in NFL circles about his potential as a franchise quarterback. From his superb arm talent to his mastery of the pre-snap phase of the Cardinals' offensive scheme, Bridgewater checks the box in all areas of the standard pro evaluation at this stage of his career. If he can fill out his slender frame and continue to refine his pocket-passing skills, there is strong reason to believe he will be the first quarterback selected whenever he makes his way to the NFL.
5. Brett Hundley, UCLA (Last week's rank: 6)
6. Jameis Winston, Florida State (Last week's rank: 7)
7. Zach Mettenberger, LSU (Last week's rank: 5)
8. Derek Carr, Fresno State (Last week's rank: 9)
9. AJ McCarron, Alabama (Last week's rank: 10)
10. Aaron Murray, Georgia (Last week's rank: 8)
11. Stephen Morris, Miami (Fla.) (Last week's rank: 13)
12. Bryce Petty, Baylor (Last week's rank: 14)
13. Sean Mannion, Oregon State (Last week's rank: NR)
14. Braxton Miller, Ohio State (Last week's rank: 16)
15. Christian Hackenberg, Penn State (Last week's rank: NR)
16. Anthony Boone, Duke (Last week's rank: NR)
http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap200000 ... crack-list
dead_poet
Commissioner

Post by dead_poet »

Tajh Boyd commended for his quick release

Five of six coaches or NFL scouts Jeremy Fowler recently spoke with brought up Clemson senior QB Tajh Boyd among college passers with the quickest release.

Fowler adds that he approximates Boyd's release clocking in at 0.23 seconds. It is only icing on the cake in terms of Boyd's evaluation, since he shows mobility in the pocket to find throwing lanes and multiple arm angles to fit passes into windows. Both help compensate for his lack of ideal height.
The Breeze
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by The Breeze »

There is a general murmur in Eugene that Mariota will not declare this year. Word is that he is really enjoying what he is doing in college and his family's influence is huge on him, to finish school.

Could be wishful thinking by Ducks supporters....
Texas Vike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by Texas Vike »

The Breeze wrote:There is a general murmur in Eugene that Mariota will not declare this year. Word is that he is really enjoying what he is doing in college and his family's influence is huge on him, to finish school.

Could be wishful thinking by Ducks supporters....
Might also depend on where the draft gurus project him to be taken. It would be hard to pass if there's a consensus that he'll be the #1 pick.

Thanks for the inside, local scoop. It wouldn't surprise me too much if he stayed in Eugene.
The Breeze
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by The Breeze »

Texas Vike wrote: Might also depend on where the draft gurus project him to be taken. It would be hard to pass if there's a consensus that he'll be the #1 pick.

Thanks for the inside, local scoop. It wouldn't surprise me too much if he stayed in Eugene.
The money is not the same for these guys with the new CBA. So, being #1 is huge...I don't think he goes #1 though.
If it were me, as an underclassman, I would be concerned about who owned the pick also. No way would I want play for Jax...I remember Elway telling the Colts to shove it. I thought he was a jerk...but in retrospect I admire his conviction. Same with Eli vs San Diego.
PotGoblin
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by PotGoblin »

8th Ranked Louisville just got upset at home by Central Florida :shock:
Purple Pride till the end.
PurpleKoolaid
Hall of Famer

Post by PurpleKoolaid »

Winston owning Byod tonight. Those FSU receivers can catch.
Texas Vike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by Texas Vike »

PurpleKoolaid wrote:Winston owning Byod tonight. Those FSU receivers can catch.

Boyd has a gun, but he stares his guys down at times and has not appeared to be on the same page as his WRs. Winston looks WAY more polished and confident.

Johnny FB had a typical day for him... big numbers, but w/ some ill-advised throws. The kid's a spark plug though.
PurpleKoolaid
Hall of Famer

Post by PurpleKoolaid »

Texas Vike wrote:
Boyd has a gun, but he stares his guys down at times and has not appeared to be on the same page as his WRs. Winston looks WAY more polished and confident.

Johnny FB had a typical day for him... big numbers, but w/ some ill-advised throws. The kid's a spark plug though.
Yeah, Boyd stares down, more then Ponder perhaps. But I love that arm. That's Favre like.
I just don't care for Johnny FB enough to even follow his games. I do not like cocky QBs.
This Winston kid is the real deal though.
Texas Vike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by Texas Vike »

PurpleKoolaid wrote: Yeah, Boyd stares down, more then Ponder perhaps. But I love that arm. That's Favre like.
I just don't care for Johnny FB enough to even follow his games. I do not like cocky QBs.
This Winston kid is the real deal though.

I'm on the fence w/ Johnny FB. He's immature seeming to me, but the chip on his shoulder and his attitude is a reflection of a fierce competitive spirit that I love. It just manifests in childish ways. He played through an injury today and played well despite having a messed up throwing shoulder. The kid's a fighter w/ big heart and he impacts the game more than anyone else on the field whenever he plays.

He'll either be great at the next level or a huge bust. I can't decide which. It'll depend on fit too. Can't imagine him w/ our low-risk O.