Master 2013-14 College QB thread

Talk about the latest College games and players and discuss the NFL Draft here. Get reports on players, prospects, Draft Links, the latest Mock Drafts and other indepth analysis, plus the latest on the NCAA College games.

Moderator: Moderators

dead_poet
Commissioner

Master 2013-14 College QB thread

Post by dead_poet »

Bucky Brooks ranks the QBs (with analysis):
http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap200000 ... derek-carr

9/25

1. Marcus Mariota, Oregon
2. Johnny Manziel, Texas A&M
3. Teddy Bridgewater, Louisville
4. Brett Hundley, UCLA
5. Tajh Boyd, Clemson
6. AJ McCarron, Alabama
7. Zach Mettenberger, LSU
8. Aaron Murray, Georgia
9. Jameis Winston, Florida State
10. Stephen Morris, Miami (Fla.)
11. Derek Carr, Fresno State
12. Keith Price, Washington
13. Kevin Hogan, Stanford
14. Devin Gardner, Michigan
15. Kenny Guiton, Ohio State
16. James Franklin, Missouri
Last edited by dead_poet on Thu Sep 26, 2013 11:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
“Some people think football is a matter of life and death. I assure you, it's much more serious than that.” --- Bill Shankly
Texas Vike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Re: Master 2014 College QB thread

Post by Texas Vike »

dead_poet wrote:Bucky Brooks ranks the QBs (with analysis):
http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap200000 ... derek-carr

9/25

1. Marcus Mariota, Oregon
2. Johnny Manziel, Texas A&M
4. Brett Hundley, UCLA
5. Tajh Boyd, Clemson
6. AJ McCarron, Alabama
7. Zach Mettenberger, LSU
8. Aaron Murray, Georgia
9. Jameis Winston, Florida State
10. Stephen Morris, Miami (Fla.)
11. Derek Carr, Fresno State
12. Keith Price, Washington
13. Kevin Hogan, Stanford
14. Devin Gardner, Michigan
15. Kenny Guiton, Ohio State
16. James Franklin, Missouri
This is a strong draft class at QB. Good timing for the Vikes to start their next chapter if the Ponder saga doesn't change course dramatically and soon.
dead_poet
Commissioner

Re: Master 2013-14 College QB thread

Post by dead_poet »

10 NFL Teams Will Be in the Market for a Quarterback Early in the 2014 NFL Draft
Minnesota 1-3. Most likely options: Marcus Mariota (Oregon), Tajh Boyd (Clemson), Brett Hundley (UCLA)

Christian Ponder has been inconsistent, doesn’t have a huge arm, and despite good running ability, I’m not sure he’s the long-term guy in Minnesota. Matt Cassel sure isn’t starting material. But will offensive coordinator Bill Musgrave return? Given the Ponder/Joe Webb runs at QB, does this mean the Vikings would implement some read option with Adrian Peterson? A Mariota-Peterson combo could be disgusting.
http://thebiglead.com/2013/10/04/10-nfl ... nfl-draft/
Last edited by dead_poet on Mon Oct 07, 2013 9:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
“Some people think football is a matter of life and death. I assure you, it's much more serious than that.” --- Bill Shankly
dead_poet
Commissioner

Post by dead_poet »

Scout: Nine QBs could have 1st round grades

The MMQB's Peter King spoke to one longtime NFL scout who noted it would not surprise him if nine QBs earned first-round grades this May.

"It would not surprise me when we make our board if we have nine quarterbacks with first-round grades," the scout said. "Not at all. Obviously, that depends on which underclassmen declare, and you hear things out there. But I could see it." King notes that doesn't mean nine quarterbacks will go in the first-round. In fact, King says that won't happen. "This road scout said the most intriguing prospect he’d seen this season was 6-5, 235-pound LSU quarterback Zach Mettenberger, who he said has improved a lot under new offensive Cam Cameron," King added.
dead_poet
Commissioner

Post by dead_poet »

Mariota accounts for 7 TDs in rout of Buffs

Oregon redshirt sophomore QB Marcus Mariota completed 16 of 27 attempts for 355 yards and five touchdowns in a 57-16 win over Colorado.

He added 43 rushing yards and two touchdowns. Mariota carved up the Colorado defense, standing in the pocket and firing after working through progressions. The NFL is looking for quick decision makers, and Mariota wins from inside and out of the pocket. We think he is clearly in the top two among prospects at the position with Teddy Bridgewater.
dead_poet
Commissioner

Post by dead_poet »

Clemson QB Boyd throws for 455 yds, 5 TDs

Clemson senior QB Tajh Boyd completed 20 of 27 attempts for 455 yards, five touchdowns, and two interceptions in a 49-14 win over Syracuse.

Boyd threw an interception in the second quarter on an overthrow and again in the third quarter on a tipped pass along the sideline. We love Boyd's throwing platforms and improved pocket mobility. The Clemson passer is making more and more NFL throws each week. He added a 16 yard run.
dead_poet
Commissioner

Post by dead_poet »

Louisville junior QB Teddy Bridgewater completed 25 of 35 attempts for 348 yards and two touchdowns in a 30-7 win over Temple.

Bridgewater continues to beat up whoever he faces, showing great touch and placement at every level of the field. We've seen him play some very talented defenses in Florida, UConn, and Rutgers last season, but expect to hear his level of competition questioned throughout the draft process. Oct 5 - 3:32 PM
dead_poet
Commissioner

Post by dead_poet »

NFL.com's Daniel Jeremiah received text messages from NFL scouts and personnel executives during the LSU versus Georgia game regarding senior QB Zach Mettenberger.

"He didn't come away with the victory, but Mettenberger was the biggest winner in terms of his NFL draft stock," Jeremiah writes. "His combination of size, arm strength and accuracy is very attractive to NFL teams in search of a quarterback." Again, this progression started last year in the Alabama game, but Mettenberger has taken it to the next level this season. His willingness to stand in the face of pressure and fire downfield tops it all off. Oct 1 - 8:56 AM
LSU senior QB Zach Mettenberger connected on 25 of 29 attempts for 340 yards, two touchdowns, and one interception in a 59-26 win over Miss State.

Mettenberger's first big play was an overthrown interception on a screen pass, but he responded well in the middle of the second quarter and on. It is nice to have receivers who work back to the quarterback and high point in contested situations, but Mettenberger relies on those targets to win in individual situations. Oct 6 - 12:25 PM
Texas Vike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by Texas Vike »

Year of the QB. It's going to be interesting. Whether Freeman works out or not, I think we should think QB in the 1st or 2nd rd. this year.

http://espn.go.com/ncf/notebook/_/page/ ... arterbacks
The Breeze
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by The Breeze »

dead_poet wrote:Mariota accounts for 7 TDs in rout of Buffs

Oregon redshirt sophomore QB Marcus Mariota completed 16 of 27 attempts for 355 yards and five touchdowns in a 57-16 win over Colorado.

He added 43 rushing yards and two touchdowns. Mariota carved up the Colorado defense, standing in the pocket and firing after working through progressions. The NFL is looking for quick decision makers, and Mariota wins from inside and out of the pocket. We think he is clearly in the top two among prospects at the position with Teddy Bridgewater.

MariOta did this in less than 3 qtrs of play. The guy hasn't played a full game yet this year.
dead_poet
Commissioner

Post by dead_poet »

Insightful article.

Mariota & Oregon's Offense

http://www.rotoworld.com/articles/cfb/4 ... ns-offense
dead_poet
Commissioner

Post by dead_poet »

Mariota shines against Huskies, posts 4 TDs

Oregon redshirt sophomore QB Marcus Mariota completed 24 of 31 attempts for 366 yards and three touchdowns in the school's 45-24 win over Washington.

Mariota added 88 rushing yards and a touchdown. It is now obvious why we have ranked Mariota as the No. 2 prospect at his position for some time. The redshirt sophomore is a very comfortable passer, even in the pocket, but offers mobility which results in elongated plays and long pickups on the ground. He is the real deal, and it was nice to see Mariota play in a meaningful fourth quarter.

---
Peter King: Mariota has real shot to be No. 1

The MMQB's Peter King believes Oregon redshirt sophomore QB Marcus Mariota has a legitimate shot at being the No. 1 overall pick.

We aren't surprised and we would agree. "...at least two teams love Mariota to the point that I believe if he comes out those teams would have him higher on their board than Bridgewater," King writes. Mariota has experience in a decisive and versatile offense, which will attract many NFL evaluators. He really is the complete package. Our Josh Norris has ranked him as the No. 2 draft-eligible passer since the summer.
http://mmqb.si.com/2013/10/14/tom-brady ... terback/5/
dead_poet
Commissioner

Post by dead_poet »

10/9 (with analysis)

QB Tracker: Manziel remains No. 1; big test looms for Boyd

1. Johnny Manziel, Texas A&M
2. Tajh Boyd, Clemson
4. Marcus Mariota, Oregon
5. Zach Mettenberger, LSU
6. Brett Hundley, UCLA
7. Jameis Winston, Florida State
8. Aaron Murray, Georgia
9. Derek Carr, Fresno State
10. AJ McCarron, Alabama
11. Keith Price, Washington
12. Kevin Hogan, Stanford
13. Stephen Morris, Miami (Fla.)
14. Bryce Petty, Baylor
15. James Franklin, Missouri
16. Braxton Miller, Ohio State

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap200000 ... s-for-boyd
mondry
Hall of Famer

Post by mondry »

How many of these guys are actually worth more than a 3rd round pick though like maybe 5?

I hope everyone gets caught up on boyd and bridge water and mariota so Manziel slips to us in the 2nd round!
Demi
Commissioner

Post by Demi »

Manziel & Mariota = Won't translate to NFL game. Book it, Danno.