Welcome to Minnesota Desmond Bishop!

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

Eliot
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Welcome to Minnesota Desmond Bishop!

Post by Eliot »

I am really excited about this signing. He will be our starting MLB and could end being the answer the Vikings need!
Minnesota Vikings fan from Missouri!

Skol!
The Breeze
Hall of Fame Inductee

Re: Welcome to Minnesota Desmond Bishop!

Post by The Breeze »

Is this the Desmond Bishop thread?

Excellent! Let the speculation ensue...
King James
All Pro Elite Player

Post by King James »

YES!!!! YES!!!!! YES!!!!!!! YES!!!!! YES!!!!!! YES!!!!!!! YES!!!!! :rock: :govikes:
S197
Fenrir

Post by S197 »

Apparently his wife is from Minnesota, that might have been the deciding factor (I think all teams offered him a 1yr deal). I'm assuming this means Henderson moves back to OLB if Bishop is healthy.
King James
All Pro Elite Player

Post by King James »

S197 wrote:Apparently his wife is from Minnesota, that might have been the deciding factor (I think all teams offered him a 1yr deal). I'm assuming this means Henderson moves back to OLB if Bishop is healthy.
That and he probably wants to try to stick it to Green Bay for cutting him.
Eli
Hall of Famer

Post by Eli »

Another one-year "no confidence" contract. Won't get too excited about this one until we see something beyond a guy recovering from an injury. I hope they signed him for the veteran's minimum, with no guaranteed money.
headless_norseman
All Pro Elite Player

Post by headless_norseman »

Eli wrote:Another one-year "no confidence" contract. Won't get too excited about this one until we see something beyond a guy recovering from an injury. I hope they signed him for the veteran's minimum, with no guaranteed money.

This sheds some better lighgt on it all, including the whole situation in which he was released in the first place - looks and sounds all good to me.

http://www.sbnation.com/nfl/2013/6/24/4 ... ond-bishop
A successful coach needs a patient wife, loyal dog, and great quarterback - and not necessarily in that order.

-- Bud Grant
dead_poet
Commissioner

Post by dead_poet »

Only makes sense Vikings' search for MLB isn't over
Even if he's healthy, Bishop, 28, probably wouldn't be a long-term solution any more than Henderson, 26. To truly upgrade the position, the Vikings need a player with more speed and range -- and at one point, there was a strong belief that upgrade would come through the draft.

Then defensive tackle Sharrif Floyd fell to them at No. 23 overall and cornerback Xavier Rhodes at No. 25. Receiver Cordarrelle Patterson was there at No. 29, prompting Spielman to boldly package picks in a deal with New England and reel in another of their highest-graded prospects.

By the time the Vikings were on the board again in Round 4, Ogletree (No. 30 to St. Louis), Te'o (No. 38 to San Diego), Minter (45th to Arizona) and four other inside linebackers were long gone. They ended up taking a flyer on often-injured Michael Mauti from Penn State in Round 7.
http://www.1500espn.com/sportswire/Peli ... over061813
“Some people think football is a matter of life and death. I assure you, it's much more serious than that.” --- Bill Shankly
Eli
Hall of Famer

Post by Eli »

dead_poet wrote:Only makes sense Vikings' search for MLB isn't over
Does someone actually need to make this argument? I hope nobody thought it was over when they signed a guy to a one-year contract.

If Mauti can actually come back and stay healthy, then I think their search for a MLB will be over. He's the real deal. I'm not sure, though, whether they'll know that by the time next year's draft rolls around.
The Breeze
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by The Breeze »

After reading more about his injury and how NFL players have come back from it, I am going to temper my excitement around thinking we have solved our LB issue for even this season. Which is fine. At worst he re-injures himself in camp and doesn't even make the team, leaving us where we were before GB released him. At best he has a solid season and returns to the form he was known for. Either way they are drafting an inside guy next year as I don't feel Bishop is really the answer at MLB.

It's low risk IMO. They should know quite well what he has halfway through camp. I hope he can still play...but I'm dubious. That's a pretty serious injury for a guy in a position where losing a step really hurts his game.
losperros
Commissioner

Post by losperros »

Eli wrote: Does someone actually need to make this argument? I hope nobody thought it was over when they signed a guy to a one-year contract.

If Mauti can actually come back and stay healthy, then I think their search for a MLB will be over. He's the real deal. I'm not sure, though, whether they'll know that by the time next year's draft rolls around.
I agree. Bishop is more of a stopgap player, which is something I was hoping the Vikings wouldn't do with the MLB position.

OTOH, maybe they have to go with a stopgap player currently if they want Mauti to eventually take over in the future.
Deadpool
Rookie

Post by Deadpool »

Don't be so negative guys, this is a great signing.

Things could have been much worse, we could have signed Urlacher. :lol:
King James
All Pro Elite Player

Post by King James »

Enough said. Bishop can do no worse than Brinkley.
dkoby
All Pro Elite Player

Post by dkoby »

Eli wrote: Does someone actually need to make this argument? I hope nobody thought it was over when they signed a guy to a one-year contract.

Well if Mauti is the real deal, then they should be able to figure that out. I'm not sure what they were supposed to do. They obviously thought it was more important to get Ponder help and shore up the secondary before the MLB spot. I'm betting that if Patterson wouldn't have been there, they would have picked Teo somewhere. You can't fix everything in every draft.
As for the one year deal.....I'm glad they didn't commit more than that. Like is being said here, he likely is a stop gap player. Would you be happier if they gave him a 4 year deal? We needed some experienced depth and help at the LB position, I really see no downside to this signing.
The Marines I have seen around the world have the cleanest bodies, the filthiest minds,the highest morale, and the lowest morals of any group of animals I have ever seen. Thank God for the United States Marine Corps.
Elenore Roosevelt. 1945
Demi
Commissioner

Post by Demi »

Deadpool wrote:Don't be so negative guys, this is a great signing.

Things could have been much worse, we could have signed Urlacher. :lol:
Yeah signing a guy that's actually played in the defense before would have been much worse. :roll:

Right where this team is at. They were going to do something considering the handful of scrubs they were trotting out there to compete for the position. (didn't take long to realize how stupid it was giving Erin a shot huh?) And we still get a downgrade in coverage. Another guy who won't be a three down guy for long, if at all. Who doesn't belong in the defense. And wasn't very good to begin with.

Don't be so negative, average linebackers like this who don't fit the defense are GRRReat!