State of the NFC North

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

PacificNorseWest
Career Elite Player

Re: State of the NFC North

Post by PacificNorseWest »

Nah. Rodgers is the best in the game as we stand today.
NextQuestion
Career Elite Player

Post by NextQuestion »

I'll agree to disagree. Until Brady and Manning are gone there is no debate for me
Pull yr 84 jerseys out.
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

PacificNorseWest wrote:Nah. Rodgers is the best in the game as we stand today.
That's highly debatable. I think just as much of a case can be made for Brees, Brady and Peyton Manning.
PacificNorseWest
Career Elite Player

From a numbers standpoint it is, but from a pure quarterbacking standpoint, I don't think so.

Rodgers easily faces the most pressure in the pocket than any of those quarterbacks and still possesses phenomenal accuracy standing or on the move and his production is the same, if not better than any of those guys. His arm strength is tops in the league and his escapeability is still really good given the amount of sacks on him.

If you were able to build a quarterback from scratch...Aaron Rodgers comes close to being that guy. His 2011 season one of the best ever and he followed it up with a very very good and efficient 2012.

All of this with a crap O-line and no running game. He's the best QB today. I repeat TODAY. Not all-time and we're not giving Peyton or Brady that title based on a lifetime acheivement measurement.
mondry
Hall of Famer

Post by mondry »

Rodgers is definitely the best RIGHT NOW, no question, if I was handed the keys to a team and I could pick any QB it'd be him 100 times out of 100. I don't want Brady unless his entire O-line and Belechik / the system come with. Don't want Peyton, he's only got a year or two left. Brees is good but I don't really think he's in the same category as the other 3.
NextQuestion
Career Elite Player

Post by NextQuestion »

Wouldn't you want McCarthy with Rodgers?
Pull yr 84 jerseys out.
Skoltastic_Voyage
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by Skoltastic_Voyage »

Rogers is the best QB according to Vikings fans.... :puke:

Ponders stats would improve if our OL got away with all that holding. I would throw up but my vomit reminds me of Green Bay colors.
My guide to being a Vikings fan:
Step 1.) Drink beer.
Step 2.) See step 1.
Cliff
Site Admin

Post by Cliff »

Skoltastic_Voyage wrote:Rogers is the best QB according to Vikings fans.... :puke:

Ponders stats would improve if our OL got away with all that holding. I would throw up but my vomit reminds me of Green Bay colors.
I'd assume Peterson is the best RB according to most Green Bay fans too, if it makes you feel better.
PacificNorseWest
Career Elite Player

Skoltastic_Voyage wrote:Rogers is the best QB according to Vikings fans.... :puke:
Yeah, well...It's not something I'm happy about, but I try to keep an unbiased and objective opinion no matter what.
PurpleJarl
Starter

Post by PurpleJarl »

Cliff wrote: I'd assume Peterson is the best RB according to most Green Bay fans too, if it makes you feel better.

I wouldn't put it past them to come up with some, "efficiency" argument to get AR in to that conversation too. :wink:
Skoltastic_Voyage
Pro Bowl Elite Player

If Rogers is the best then Flynn is God with what he did with that receiving corp.

On January 1, 2012, Matt Flynn started the final game of the season against the Detroit Lions. He threw for 480 yards and 6 touchdowns in the 45-41 victory, both of which set all-time Green Bay Packers records.
Step 1.) Drink beer.
Step 2.) See step 1.
PacificNorseWest
Career Elite Player

Skoltastic_Voyage wrote:If Rogers is the best then Flynn is God with what he did with that receiving corp.

On January 1, 2012, Matt Flynn started the final game of the season against the Detroit Lions. He threw for 480 yards and 6 touchdowns in the 45-41 victory, both of which set all-time Green Bay Packers records.
Skoltastic_Voyage
Pro Bowl Elite Player

So according to you records mean nothing in final games against teams that have no post season... We got some books to re-write!
Stafford threw for something like 510 that game as well..
Last edited by Skoltastic_Voyage on Tue Apr 30, 2013 4:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Step 1.) Drink beer.
Step 2.) See step 1.
PacificNorseWest
Career Elite Player

Essentially, I was jabbing you for taking that one game sample as a validation that everything Rodgers is as quarterback is somehow nullified based on his backup catching fire in a game that was completely irrelevant.
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

PacificNorseWest wrote:From a numbers standpoint it is, but from a pure quarterbacking standpoint, I don't think so.

Rodgers easily faces the most pressure in the pocket than any of those quarterbacks and still possesses phenomenal accuracy standing or on the move and his production is the same, if not better than any of those guys. His arm strength is tops in the league and his escapeability is still really good given the amount of sacks on him.

If you were able to build a quarterback from scratch...Aaron Rodgers comes close to being that guy. His 2011 season one of the best ever and he followed it up with a very very good and efficient 2012.

All of this with a crap O-line and no running game. He's the best QB today. I repeat TODAY. Not all-time and we're not giving Peyton or Brady that title based on a lifetime acheivement measurement.
I certainly think he has a very strong case but by no means do I definitively see him as the best QB today. His numbers the past two years are excellent and as you said, his mobility and arm strength are basically ideal. That said, it's all about performance, not physical characteristics and while he stacks up to the best in the game today as a performer, I don't think he's clearly superior to the likes of Brees, Brady and Manning. I also wouldn't say he easily faces the most pressure in the pocket. Brees certainly faces his share of pressure in New Orleans and in the last 2 or 3 years, Rodgers has arguably benefitted from a better receiving corps than the 3 QBs mentioned above.

I'm not trying to diminish Rodgers' accomplishments but if I had to win one game and could pick any QB in the league right now, I'm not sure he's the player I'd choose, although he'd certainly give any team a great chance.