State of the NFC North

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

PurpleJarl
Starter

Re: State of the NFC North

Post by PurpleJarl »

RandallioCobb18 wrote:
Yea, you clearly have no idea bruh.

Rodgers is a HOF QB in a good system, not a good QB in a good system, if you disagree, then you simply have not watched him very closely.

Dude has the most insane arm since Marino, go back in history and find someone with a more talented arm then A-Rod, seriously.

Ive watched them all, Montana, Marino, Manning, Brady, etc. etc. I can honestly say without a doubt that Rodgers is the most unbelievable of all of them.
Find me a QB that is going to spin out of a tackle, run to his left throw a LASER of his WRONG FOOT, 40 yards down the field in between to DBs for a TD.

You go ahead and try to find any QB EVER in history that can go out there and do the stuff Rodgers can do, seriosuly, go try. There is a reason people talk about this guy the way they do, he simply can do it all, wrong foot, defender hanging off his shoulder, between 3 defenders, there is nothing this guy cannot do on the field.

He has a great system, I agree. But all you have to do is watch the throws this guy makes to tell that he is a special, special talent. I understand your entitled to your opinion, but it doesnt make yours any less wrong. Montana, Staubach, Brady, none of them make the spectactular throws that Rodgers does on such and unrealistic frequency.

Hey man, AP is a great back, but im not sitting here trying to tell myself he is an alright back who is the product of a great system, he has a good system indeed, but I would have to be as foolishly blind/bias as your being to reason to myself that AP is anything less than a Hall of Famer.

I suggest the next time you watch Aaron Rodgers play, you pretend he is not a Packer, because otherwise your going to keep posting foolish bullcrap such as this, and keep making yourself look like a complete buffoon who only reads the scoring summary, instead of actually WATCHING the game, because if you actually watched him play, you would at least have a CLUE what your talking about.

I believe the point he was trying to make was that, your OL is better suited to defend the pass while our OL is better built to help the run game and it is difficult to do both so if AP and AR were on the same team one of their productions would suffer in part due to whichever way the OL was slanted (Pass/run)
mondry
Hall of Famer

Post by mondry »

mondry wrote:I can't wait for the draft tomorrow, it'll bring an entirely new stance to this thread. As it stands, I really think every NFC north team got worse from the team last year to where we're at now with free agency.

If we had to play with our line ups right now I'd say it'd look like this.

Pack 9-6
Vikes 8-8
Bears 7-9
Lions 5-11
Alright I said I'd have a new stance after the draft so here are my updates

Pack 10-6 - Datone Jones sounds pretty scary, they have needed a big threat to draw some attention away from Clay Mathews, hopefully Jones can help. Other than that they got some help at O-line and picked up a couple RB's. I'm not a huge Lacy fan but maybe he can be that bowling ball guy that's hard to bring down while everyone's dropping back in coverage. The defense didn't receive as much help as I expected it might have, but with Rodgers 10-6 feels good give or take a game.

Vikes 11-5 - We lose Harvin but add Jennings and Patterson, the offense should be better than last year and I think Ponder improves. Rhodes and Floyd add even more young talent to our defense, the big thing is if any of our draftee's can man down that MLB position, I think they can, and I don't think it's a huge loss losing Jasper Brinkley. In other words, they may not be awesome, but they have small shoes to fill compared to last year.

Bears 6-10 - They basically drafted some lineman and LB's, reaching multiple times to do it. I don't see this team capable of beating the Vikes or Packers. Defend Marshal and Forte, smash Cutler, it's the same story. They did get some much needed young talent in the LB corp so that's nice but this team will take more time to evolve.

Lions 7-9 - Ansah has a lot of potential, but #5 overall I'm not in love with that. Same thing with their second round pick Darrius Slay, but we shall see. Warford was a good pick, unlike the bears, at least these guys have a lot of upside and potential.

I think Minnesota is the winner of this off season (draft, FA) and thus the 11-5 record. Admittedly that 11-5 could end up being 8-8 if some things go wrong but I think we improved the most. Definitely see an intense division battle with the Pack again.
Purple bruise
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by Purple bruise »

RandallioCobb18 wrote:[quote="

I think the Packers are geared for the pass, at least some of AD's yards are thanks to our OL. When Matt Flynn played for GB he set records, Rogers is just a good qb in a good system for passing.
Would AD help the Packers? Well I don't see how he could hurt. Would his addition make the Packers unbeatable? Well, we are talking about purple Jesus here but still.
Yea, you clearly have no idea bruh.
Rodgers is a HOF QB in a good system, not a good QB in a good system, if you disagree, then you simply have not watched him very closely.
Dude has the most insane arm since Marino, go back in history and find someone with a more talented arm then A-Rod, seriously.
Ive watched them all, Montana, Marino, Manning, Brady, etc. etc. I can honestly say without a doubt that Rodgers is the most unbelievable of all of them.
Find me a QB that is going to spin out of a tackle, run to his left throw a LASER of his WRONG FOOT, 40 yards down the field in between to DBs for a TD.
You go ahead and try to find any QB EVER in history that can go out there and do the stuff Rodgers can do, seriosuly, go try. There is a reason people talk about this guy the way they do, he simply can do it all, wrong foot, defender hanging off his shoulder, between 3 defenders, there is nothing this guy cannot do on the field.He has a great system, I agree. But all you have to do is watch the throws this guy makes to tell that he is a special, special talent. I understand your entitled to your opinion, but it doesnt make yours any less wrong. Montana, Staubach, Brady, none of them make the spectactular throws that Rodgers does on such and unrealistic frequency.

Hey man, AP is a great back, but im not sitting here trying to tell myself he is an alright back who is the product of a great system, he has a good system indeed, but I would have to be as foolishly blind/bias as your being to reason to myself that AP is anything less than a Hall of Famer.

I suggest the next time you watch Aaron Rodgers play, you pretend he is not a Packer, because otherwise your going to keep posting foolish bullcrap such as this, and keep making yourself look like a complete buffoon who only reads the scoring summary, instead of actually WATCHING the game, because if you actually watched him play, you would at least have a CLUE what your talking about.[/quote]
________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
You have watched and listed all of the QB's that, in your humble opinion, do not stack up to Rogers huh? Did you do it by design or did you conveniently leave Elway, Steve Young, Warren Moon, Steve Mcnair etc. off of your list. Do not get me wrong, Besides Luck (because of his age) my first choice would be Rogers. Going a step further team wise, do not get to overly excited about Lacy. He played with a "Pro Level" o-line and was, I believe the 4th back selected. I think that Grant was/is a better back.
The Vikes will show marked improvement with their interior D-line, upgraded CB (Winfield was aged and was penciled in for part time),
improved punting, and Ponder with a year under his belt and more threats a wr's (Jennings, Patterson, a healthy Simpson, and Wright coming off of a promising rookie year. The Vikes have the best RB in the league, the best blocking fullback in the league, a great pass rush Jarred Allen, Robison and Griffen who is proving that he has has unlimited potential and now have Floyd stopping up the middle, the best special teams coach, the best fg kicker, best young left tackle in the game, a road grader for a right tackle, a pro bowl type center, the best young ss in the division. Man I do not fear the Packers, in fact their recent slide from 15-1 to 11-5 should only continue. :smilevike:
Last edited by Purple bruise on Mon Apr 29, 2013 1:05 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Do not mistake KINDNESS for WEAKNESS!

Best to keep your mouth shut and be thought a fool rather than open it and remove all doubt.
PurpleJarl
Starter

Post by PurpleJarl »

mondry wrote: I think Minnesota is the winner of this off season (draft, FA) and thus the 11-5 record. Admittedly that 11-5 could end up being 8-8 if some things go wrong but I think we improved the most. Definitely see an intense division battle with the Pack again.

This basically the point I am at now. I dont think anyone has run away with the divison but on paper I wouldnt be suprised with either the Vikings or the Packers winning it by one game. On the Bears I dont think they will be that bad but I would be suprised to see them hit 10 wins again (9 doesn't sound unreasonable). The Lions are always a threat to suprise with Megatron and if Stafford doesn't get injured from a hit, a trip, or a rouge stiff breeze. All in all I expect a way more competitive division than in the recent past and the NFC north as a whole to do better against the league then the average.
dead_poet
Commissioner

Post by dead_poet »

RandallioCobb18 wrote: heres hoping Lacy and Franklin can bring some BOOM to the Packers run game.
:puke:
“Some people think football is a matter of life and death. I assure you, it's much more serious than that.” --- Bill Shankly
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

RandallioCobb18 wrote:Ive watched them all, Montana, Marino, Manning, Brady, etc. etc. I can honestly say without a doubt that Rodgers is the most unbelievable of all of them.
LOL! Now there's an unbiased opinion...

He's excellent, no doubt about it, but I'm not even sure he's the best QB I've seen in the past 10 years. By the time he's done, maybe he'll be the greatest QB of all-time. He's not there yet.
How about John Elway, Steve Young or even Ben Roethlisberger? Culpepper did stuff like that and McNabb did too. I'm not saying all of those QBs are in Rodgers' class but you're going overboard with the hyperbole.
You go ahead and try to find any QB EVER in history that can go out there and do the stuff Rodgers can do, seriosuly, go try. There is a reason people talk about this guy the way they do, he simply can do it all, wrong foot, defender hanging off his shoulder, between 3 defenders, there is nothing this guy cannot do on the field.
He breathes fire and shoots heat rays from his eyes. We get it.
Montana, Staubach, Brady, none of them make the spectactular throws that Rodgers does on such and unrealistic frequency.
:roll:
I suggest the next time you watch Aaron Rodgers play, you pretend he is not a Packer...
I suggest you do likewise because you're obviously viewing him through a green and gold haze. While there's no doubt that he is a terrific quarterback, he's not the alpha and omega of the position.
PacificNorseWest
Career Elite Player

Post by PacificNorseWest »

After the draft I feel strongly that this is only a two team race for the divison between Minnesota and Green Bay.
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

I think it's a 4 team race with GB as the favorite and the Lions as the least likely to win it. The draft means very little until we actually see players and teams perform. Nobody wins the division in April. ;)

The Bears, in particular, are hard to get a read on because of the coaching change. Sometimes that sort of transition can temporarily set a team back and sometimes it leads to immediate success.

If I had to guess at the order of finish, I'd guess GB, MN, CHI, and DET but honestly, who knows? Health and how each team performs against divisional opponents will play a huge role in who wins it.

Personally, I hope it ends up with the Vikes winning it, followed by CHI, DET and then GB. Unfortunately, the Packers finishing last is an unlikely scenario.
petev_sj
Veteran

Post by petev_sj »

I think local boy Marc Trestman will be the biggest surprise in the division. Trestman's philsophy is simple, the team with the most points in the end wins the game. He is the type guy that believes football begins and ends with the quarterback. I expect the bears to have 70% passing, 30% running the ball. Bears fan should hope Cutler is the right guy for that type of system. He can expect to throw the ball 50-70 times a game.

I think Matt Forte's main job will be to pick up blitzes for Cutler.
The TEs job will be to chip the ends before they run their routes.
Basically the Bears Offense's job first and foremost will be to protect Cutler.

All this being said, I still say the Vikings are taking the division and Superbowl this year!
Skoltastic_Voyage
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by Skoltastic_Voyage »

RandallioCobb18 wrote: I suggest the next time you watch Aaron Rodgers play, you pretend he is not a Packer, because otherwise your going to keep posting foolish bullcrap such as this, and keep making yourself look like a complete buffoon who only reads the scoring summary, instead of actually WATCHING the game, because if you actually watched him play, you would at least have a CLUE what your talking about.
Sir, one more outburst and I will strangle you with my microphone wire.

WOWZ Rogers is the greatest QB evaaah omg, did you see how his receiver ran that route and caught that ball he threw? Rogers looks so amazing even when he has icky purple players all over him ja ja okay brah? 12 is also my favorite numbah *gush gush*. Man how handsome is he wow!

There, happy now? :flamed:
My guide to being a Vikings fan:
Step 1.) Drink beer.
Step 2.) See step 1.
Raptorman
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by Raptorman »

RandallioCobb18 wrote:Yea, you clearly have no idea bruh.

He has a great system, I agree. But all you have to do is watch the throws this guy makes to tell that he is a special, special talent. I understand your entitled to your opinion, but it doesnt make yours any less wrong. Montana, Staubach, Brady, none of them make the spectactular throws that Rodgers does on such and unrealistic frequency.

I suggest the next time you watch Aaron Rodgers play, you pretend he is not a Packer, because otherwise your going to keep posting foolish bullcrap such as this, and keep making yourself look like a complete buffoon who only reads the scoring summary, instead of actually WATCHING the game, because if you actually watched him play, you would at least have a CLUE what your talking about.

Fran Tarkenton.
Vikings fan since Nov. 6, 1966. Annoying Packer fans since Nov. 7, 1966
PurpleJarl
Starter

Post by PurpleJarl »

Raptorman wrote:

Fran Tarkenton.

Everyone knows that the REAL football era began with the on set of HD TVs. Everything from before that was just a pre modern era baseball like time.
hibbingviking
Hall of Famer

Post by hibbingviking »

PurpleJarl wrote:But to keep it on target and to sum up, Bears D is going to be weaker than its been in years imo and the Packers need to focus on everything BUT offense this year in the draft and we MIGHT see a hiccup in their offense, one can hope. AP should shred the Bears.
the nfc north will be the toughest division this year, especially if the Vikings defense improves.
PacificNorseWest
Career Elite Player

Post by PacificNorseWest »

hibbingviking wrote: the nfc north will be the toughest division this year, especially if the Vikings defense improves.
Maybe. The NFC West is stout as you can get.

Earlier I said that as it stands right now, I think it's a fight between the Packers and Vikes for the division title, but I was just rushing to judgement. I still think if you HAD to pick the standings today, then that may be the case, but Detroit plays a last place schedule and has a dynamic of an offense as you can get, while Chicago as QB who, when he plays at the top of his game, is as dangerous as any.

Should be interesting.
NextQuestion
Career Elite Player

Post by NextQuestion »

omg this Packers fan boy is too good. Rodgers is phenomenal but with Manning and Brady in the league he's 3rd best. Tom Brady, IMO, is the greatest of all time.
Pull yr 84 jerseys out.