face it, this is a horrible draft.

Talk about the latest College games and players and discuss the NFL Draft here. Get reports on players, prospects, Draft Links, the latest Mock Drafts and other indepth analysis, plus the latest on the NCAA College games.

Moderator: Moderators

mosscarter
All Pro Elite Player

face it, this is a horrible draft.

Post by mosscarter »

you mean to tell me a 5ft 7 receiver is the best one in the entire draft, alongside an undersized linebacker who got smashed when he faced real competition in the sec. in addition, there isn't a qb or an rb that anyone is even talking about. this draft is ALL hype.
PacificNorseWest
Career Elite Player

Re: face it, this is a horrible draft.

Post by PacificNorseWest »

Go to bed.
mosscarter
All Pro Elite Player

Post by mosscarter »

nah, watching the penguins, the next stanley cup winners. name me any standout offensive player that you think will have a long and successful career in the top 15 pics, because i'm curious. mel kiper would hype a rock when necessary.
Purple Domination
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by Purple Domination »

You make an interesting point. And you're right, this definitely isn't a Luck/RGIII draft like last year, but I do believe that it is a deep draft and there are some difference makers to be had. Looking forward to it regardless!
JellyBean2144
Starter

Post by JellyBean2144 »

I agree, nothing about this draft is sexy. But that could be a good thing.
Texas Vike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by Texas Vike »

JellyBean2144 wrote:I agree, nothing about this draft is sexy. But that could be a good thing.

It separates fans who enjoy the nuances of the game from the casual fan that only likes the bright lights and high profile positions.
JellyBean2144
Starter

Post by JellyBean2144 »

Texas Vike wrote:
It separates fans who enjoy the nuances of the game from the casual fan that only likes the bright lights and high profile positions.
Exactly. Great point.
mosscarter
All Pro Elite Player

Post by mosscarter »

disagree: it separates the fans with a brain from the fans that sit there and listen to these analysts (for the past month) hype players when they don't deserve it.
jeg067
Starter

Post by jeg067 »

I don't care how good the top picks are.
I'm just interested of how good the 23rd and 25th picks are.

:mrgreen:
The natural state of the football fan is bitter disappointment. - N.H.
mosscarter
All Pro Elite Player

Post by mosscarter »

i agree with you there jeg, it seems like it won't be for another 3 hrs though.
jeg067
Starter

Post by jeg067 »

Yep.
And on this side of the ocean, it's already 3 am....
It will be a long night.... or a short one... :mrgreen:
The natural state of the football fan is bitter disappointment. - N.H.
Rus
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by Rus »

It's only a horrible draft if you're drafting in the top 10...there aren't any truly elite players, so you're going to end up paying a guy that you're not completely sure about a LOT of money. If you're drafting later, you've got it made.

I think the Vikings are in a great spot for this draft. You want a lot of picks, but no really high ones. Bam.
-Rus
Rus
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by Rus »

mosscarter wrote:disagree: it separates the fans with a brain from the fans that sit there and listen to these analysts (for the past month) hype players when they don't deserve it.
That's THEIR job. Their job is to keep people watching so that they watch ads. The network doesn't like it when viewers drop out early.

Most on this board have already done the research on the players and already have opinions. Plenty of people have brains. Some of them know what's really going on instead of oversimplifying the situation.
-Rus
Demi
Commissioner

Post by Demi »

If you're drafting later, you've got it made.
How many non-1st round picks usually work out in most drafts?

And we're looking at a draft with a dozen first round talents.

How likely is it all these "deep" players who would probably get 2nd or 3rd round grades in most drafts actually pan out in the late 1st/2nd?

We shall see.
Rus
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by Rus »

Demi wrote: How many non-1st round picks usually work out in most drafts?

And we're looking at a draft with a dozen first round talents.

How likely is it all these "deep" players who would probably get 2nd or 3rd round grades in most drafts actually pan out in the late 1st/2nd?

We shall see.
I like how you quote one little snippet, then take it out of context.

What I'm saying is that if you're picking near the bottom of the first round, you're getting a player that isn't graded far off from guys being picked earlier...except that you don't have to pay nearly as much.

I'm not saying that it's all about getting super elite talents, far from that. Every other team in the league knows where players in this draft stand and what the picks are really worth. Future draft picks are never worth as much as immediate picks. You're not going to get a lot via a trade. The free agent market was weak. If your only option is to draft, and you're not stuck overpaying for a middling talent, you have it made in comparison to all the other teams that have to overpay for players that aren't projected to make an immediate impact. As no one can actually see into the future, you can't really take, say, a future injury or even a bad fit for a team into account...all you can do is evaluate past performances, numbers, injury history, combine stats, pro day stuff. It's all comparative situations. The Vikings are picking just high enough to possibly net one of those generally first round talents, but not high enough to have to pay them a lot. I'm not the only one saying this, either.
-Rus