Okay, VMB, who do you want in round 1?

Talk about the latest College games and players and discuss the NFL Draft here. Get reports on players, prospects, Draft Links, the latest Mock Drafts and other indepth analysis, plus the latest on the NCAA College games.

Moderator: Moderators

Who do you want in Round 1 (pick 2)?

Poll ended at Sat Apr 27, 2013 8:03 am

CORDARRELLE PATTERSON
19%
ALEC OGLETREE
4%
D.J. HAYDEN
11%
SYLVESTER WILLIAMS
13%
MANTI TE'O
15%
JUSTIN HUNTER
No votes
XAVIER RHODES
6%
DEANDRE HOPKINS
17%
ARTHUR BROWN
11%
KEENAN ALLEN
4%

Total votes: 47

Pepper2Moss
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Re: Okay, VMB, who do you want in round 1?

Post by Pepper2Moss »

I went with Allen/Brown but... I don't know anymore lol. I'll probably be satisfied with whatever they go if they take any of the players listed. Draft seems like the biggest crapshoot I can recall in recent years.
mondry
Hall of Famer

Post by mondry »

Should be no surprise here, voting for Hopkins (of course!) and DJ Hayden. Hayden because I believe he's the top corner in the draft but if he isn't picked that way, it's simply because of a massive (albeit scary as hell) fluke injury, of course that's just how I see it, I could be wrong.

If Teo falls to the 2nd round, that'd be huge if we could grab him too, possibly with a little trade up!
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

MelanieMFunk wrote:Come on Te'o lovers. Hit the button. No love for your man?!? lol.

I can't wait til tonight gets over with so we can all stop stressing. :thumbsup:
I'm not stressed, just excited! There are players I like better than others but the Vikes are in great position to come away with a good first round and a good draft and I have confidence in their ability to assess talent and determine who will fit in with their plans. I'm just looking forward to seeing what they do. Even if they pick players I'm trepidatious about (Patterson, Ogletree, Sly Williams) I'll still be excited because in the end, we're still talking about talented players.
losperros
Commissioner

Post by losperros »

Mothman wrote:Even if they pick players I'm trepidatious about (Patterson, Ogletree, Sly Williams) I'll still be excited because in the end, we're still talking about talented players.
That's how I feel. I figure the Vikings staff has done a lot of homework, so they'd have good reasons for any of those picks.

OTOH, I'd love to get a chance to call the picks. Spielman, Studwell, and the staff would look at me and ask, "Okay, Craig, who should we pick first?"

I'd confidently look right back at them and immediately reply, "Umm...I don't know."
Pepper2Moss
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by Pepper2Moss »

Where did this Deandre Hopkins hype machine come from? I feel like the WR hype is going in circles between the lot of them. If that tells me anything, it's that Tavon Austin may actually be worth it since he's the consensus #1 guy of the group.
Deadpool
Rookie

Post by Deadpool »

As long as we get one of Patterson or Hunter and one of Te'o/Ogletree or Hayden, I'm happy.
Pepper2Moss wrote:Where did this Deandre Hopkins hype machine come from? I feel like the WR hype is going in circles between the lot of them. If that tells me anything, it's that Tavon Austin may actually be worth it since he's the consensus #1 guy of the group.
Supposedly he's Roddy White 2.0. Very polished route runner, ready to contribute day one.
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

losperros wrote: That's how I feel. I figure the Vikings staff has done a lot of homework, so they'd have good reasons for any of those picks.

OTOH, I'd love to get a chance to call the picks. Spielman, Studwell, and the staff would look at me and ask, "Okay, Craig, who should we pick first?"

I'd confidently look right back at them and immediately reply, "Umm...I don't know."
:lol:

If it were me, I'd just point to the amazing Wheel of Potential Draft Picks I'd assembled and tell them to spin it. Imagine the anticipation in the war room as the wheel slowly spun to a stop!
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

I still don't know who I'd select but I have a feeling the Vikes will be faced with an opportunity and a choice when it comes to one or more of the really talented players with question marks. Specifically, I think it's increasingly likely that either Patterson or Ogletree (or both) will be available at #23 and if that's the case, will the Vikes roll the dice despite the question marks or will they pass?
petev_sj
Veteran

Post by petev_sj »

One of my guys wasn't on the list.

For me, an elite pass rusher is always in demand, especially in today's NFL era. My picks would be Werner and one of the higher rated LBs. Teo, Minter, Brown would be fine. We are a running team, so it demands that we have a strong defense.
dkoby
All Pro Elite Player

Post by dkoby »

Milliner and Vacarro.
The Marines I have seen around the world have the cleanest bodies, the filthiest minds,the highest morale, and the lowest morals of any group of animals I have ever seen. Thank God for the United States Marine Corps.
Elenore Roosevelt. 1945
dead_poet
Commissioner

Post by dead_poet »

dkoby wrote:Milliner and Vacarro.
Both will likely be long gone. But I feel you for Milliner. Vacarro doesn't get past Dallas.
“Some people think football is a matter of life and death. I assure you, it's much more serious than that.” --- Bill Shankly
S197
Fenrir

Post by S197 »

Hmm tough decisions. I like Mayock's mock of Patterson and Sly Williams but I had to sub out Sly and put in DJ Hayden (along with Patterson) as my picks. Hayden should be long gone but would be an absolute steal at 23/25.
dead_poet
Commissioner

Post by dead_poet »

S197 wrote:Hmm tough decisions. I like Mayock's mock of Patterson and Sly Williams but I had to sub out Sly and put in DJ Hayden (along with Patterson) as my picks. Hayden should be long gone but would be an absolute steal at 23/25.
Just saw that there are reports Hayden might go #3 overall. That's ridiculously high for a corner. But at least goes to show you how high he's risen, provided it's true.
“Some people think football is a matter of life and death. I assure you, it's much more serious than that.” --- Bill Shankly
VikingLord
Hall of Famer

Post by VikingLord »

I figured the love for Teo will compel Spielman to use #23 on Manti, and #25 to get Teo.
dkoby
All Pro Elite Player

Post by dkoby »

dead_poet wrote: Both will likely be long gone. But I feel you for Milliner. Vacarro doesn't get past Dallas.
I know, but it didn't say amongst who you would be left. Just who you want.
I've seen Vaccarro dropping to 22 in a few mocks and I resist all this "he won't be there" talk" I'd love to see Harrison and Vaccaro lighting up people all over the field.
A surprise always drops into the late 1st. And Dallas has LOTS of needs.
The Marines I have seen around the world have the cleanest bodies, the filthiest minds,the highest morale, and the lowest morals of any group of animals I have ever seen. Thank God for the United States Marine Corps.
Elenore Roosevelt. 1945