Draft in April

Talk about the latest College games and players and discuss the NFL Draft here. Get reports on players, prospects, Draft Links, the latest Mock Drafts and other indepth analysis, plus the latest on the NCAA College games.

Moderator: Moderators

Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Re: Draft in April

Post by Mothman »

dead_poet wrote:This is innnnnnnnneteresting: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/pub ... RUE&gid=10

By Eric Stoner, NFL Draft Analyst for DraftBreakdown, Rotoworld and Bleacher Report

Well, that's really different...

This might be a draft where it's impossible to call anyone a reach because nobody has any idea where anybody should be ranked! :)

I'm exaggerating, of course, but it's pretty clear that opinions vary widely on a lot of these players.
mondry
Hall of Famer

Post by mondry »

Mothman wrote:
Well, that's really different...

This might be a draft where it's impossible to call anyone a reach because nobody has any idea where anybody should be ranked! :)

I'm exaggerating, of course, but it's pretty clear that opinions vary widely on a lot of these players.
I think a lot of the talking head analysts rely heavily on elite prospects making their job easier, especially at the QB position. It's easy to predict Luck, Rg3, Kalil, Megatron, Newton, etc type picks and this draft has very few players like that. With all the other picks so close, especially past the "top 15" there should be a lot of "surprises" this year just because some team will see enough of a guy to like him a lot and they may see enough "flaws" in other players that might be rated higher, to not be so high on them.

It's been said this is a "scouts draft" as in, a scout's really gonna earn their pay check this year or perhaps be out of the job, no easy picks.
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

mondry wrote:I think a lot of the talking head analysts rely heavily on elite prospects making their job easier, especially at the QB position. It's easy to predict Luck, Rg3, Kalil, Megatron, Newton, etc type picks and this draft has very few players like that. With all the other picks so close, especially past the "top 15" there should be a lot of "surprises" this year just because some team will see enough of a guy to like him a lot and they may see enough "flaws" in other players that might be rated higher, to not be so high on them.

It's been said this is a "scouts draft" as in, a scout's really gonna earn their pay check this year or perhaps be out of the job, no easy picks.
Good post. I think you're right about the reliance on elite prospects to make mocking the draft easier.

I think this really will be a "scout's draft" and a draft where we see more than usual how many NFL teams really look for who fits their plans rather than just who is the most talented player available.
dead_poet
Commissioner

Post by dead_poet »

Final PFT mock has us taking DJ Hayden at 23 and trading our 25th to Jacksonville (who selects Geno Smith) for unknown compensation.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/20 ... ock-draft/
“Some people think football is a matter of life and death. I assure you, it's much more serious than that.” --- Bill Shankly
dead_poet
Commissioner

Post by dead_poet »

Washington Times has Vikes picking Cooper at 23 and Hunter at 25.
http://communities.washingtontimes.com/ ... edictions/
“Some people think football is a matter of life and death. I assure you, it's much more serious than that.” --- Bill Shankly
VikingLord
Hall of Famer

Post by VikingLord »

dead_poet wrote:Washington Times has Vikes picking Cooper at 23 and Hunter at 25.
Cooper falling to #23? I haven't seen a mock showing that since, well, ever.

Be a complete shock if it were to happen, and Spielman would not be able to pass that up. That would be an outstanding pick at #23.

I like the Hunter pick too quite honestly. Gives the Vikings 2 instant starters on offense who should both really help both AD and Ponder next year.
dead_poet
Commissioner

Post by dead_poet »

Last time a guard went in top 10 was 1997, when Chris Naeole went to Saints at 10. A guard WILL go in top 10 tonight. Book it.
Adam Schefter on Twitter
S197
Fenrir

Post by S197 »

Rumor is Davone Bess is on the trading block for a late round pick. Linked to the Browns and Vikings. Trying to find confirmation but I think this would be a good trade for the Vikings' WCO.
dead_poet
Commissioner

Post by dead_poet »

Good news

E.J. Manuel - QB - Player

ESPN's Adam Schefter reports the Browns, Bills, and Jets have all expressed interest in trading up into the bottom portion of the first round.

Presumably, these three teams all value a quarterback in the draft, but they don't feel comfortable enough in taking one with their respective top-ten picks. Instead, they would like to wheel and deal to work themselves back into the first round ahead of the Jaguars at pick No. 33. There's a strong chance that all four of Geno Smith, E.J. Manuel, Matt Barkley, and Ryan Nassib are available in the 20-32 range.
Source: Adam Schefter on Twitter
John_Viveiros
Career Elite Player

Post by John_Viveiros »

dead_poet wrote:Washington Times has Vikes picking Cooper at 23 and Hunter at 25.
Wet dream!

[Sorry if there are teenagers reading this]
Eli
Hall of Famer

Post by Eli »

If there's a projected run on QBs in the late 1st or early 2nd round, it could help the Vikings picking at #52. It would just mean more CBs, LBs and WRs left to choose. And if it means that they could trade down and score another middle-round pick, it could be a giant win for them.