Manti T'eo

Talk about the latest College games and players and discuss the NFL Draft here. Get reports on players, prospects, Draft Links, the latest Mock Drafts and other indepth analysis, plus the latest on the NCAA College games.

Moderator: Moderators

dead_poet
Commissioner

Re: Manti T'eo

Post by dead_poet »

Texas Vike wrote:The value chart says 25 is worth a high 2nd and a high 3rd, but I get the feeling that some QB hungry may up the ante.
Let's hope Geno drops.
“Some people think football is a matter of life and death. I assure you, it's much more serious than that.” --- Bill Shankly
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

Texas Vike wrote:I really don't know what to think about Te'o as a pro, but I feel pretty sure that the Vikes' brass is high on him.
I do too.

I think Cosell may be under-selling Te'o a little by saying he’s ultimately an inside stacked linebacker who will play in base-personnel packages, not in the sub-packages but only time will tell. I don't expect Te'o to be the next Lewis, Urlacher or Willis but if the Vikes draft him and he can be the next Scott Studwell, I'd be pretty happy.
I'd almost rather trade out of 25 for 2 2nd round picks (in addition to 52) and grab Arthur Brown and a WR (Hopkins, Allen, Woods, Hunter--in that order).

The value chart says 25 is worth a high 2nd and a high 3rd, but I get the feeling that some QB hungry may up the ante.
I wouldn't mind seeing that scenario play out, although I'll admit I'm looking forward to the excitement of the Vikes making two first round selections tomorrow so if they only ended up making one pick, I'd be a little disappointed. ;)

Spielman loves draft trades so if he can find a way to turn one of the first rounders into additional picks and still get players he covets, I have little doubt he'll make the deal.
dead_poet
Commissioner

Post by dead_poet »

Listening back to Rick Spielman's interview on @1500ESPN today. Said there were a handful of players they did more homework on than Te'o.
Tom Pelissero on Twitter
“Some people think football is a matter of life and death. I assure you, it's much more serious than that.” --- Bill Shankly
losperros
Commissioner

Post by losperros »

dead_poet wrote: Tom Pelissero on Twitter

Okay. But what does that mean? Guess we'll find out. Lots of double-speak from Big Rick right now. :D
Eli
Hall of Famer

Post by Eli »

losperros wrote: Okay. But what does that mean? Guess we'll find out. Lots of double-speak from Big Rick right now. :D
I think it probably means that there were players whose backgrounds required more research than did Te'o's. Which doesn't surprise me. I have a feeling Te'o comes off as a pretty clean-cut kid and is a great interview. Teams simply didn't know what to make of the fake girlfriend incident, rather than being scared off by it.
dead_poet
Commissioner

Post by dead_poet »

Speculation John? Or do you know something? (please don't trade up)
If there is a way, the Minnesota Vikings would like to find a way to take Manti Te'o in first round.
John Clayton on Twitter
dead_poet
Commissioner

Post by dead_poet »

The #Vikings and #Bears love Manti Te'o. If Minnesota wants to grab him, they'll need to jump up over Chicago. That's what they plan to do
Ian Rapoport on Twitter
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

dead_poet wrote: Ian Rapoport on Twitter
LOL! I'm sure Rapoport knows that as definitively as he states it because the Vikes would tell him, right?

There's so much smoke around the idea of Te'o going to the Vikes that I wouldn't be surprised if Spielman was using his past affinity for Notre Dame players and the team's need at MLB to fan those rumors while targeting someone else. Of course, it may simply be that he wants Te'o and the cat is out of the bag.

Oh, the mind games...
Funkytown
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by Funkytown »

80 PurplePride 84 wrote:I don't want Te'bow at 23 or 25, if they trade up for him. :wallbang:

Go Bears! Draft Te'o!
:thumbsup:
mondry
Hall of Famer

Post by mondry »

Mothman wrote: LOL! I'm sure Rapoport knows that as definitively as he states it because the Vikes would tell him, right?

There's so much smoke around the idea of Te'o going to the Vikes that I wouldn't be surprised if Spielman was using his past affinity for Notre Dame players and the team's need at MLB to fan those rumors while targeting someone else. Of course, it may simply be that he wants Te'o and the cat is out of the bag.

Oh, the mind games...
This is a HUGE smoke screen! How funny would it be if he got the bears to TRADE UP to take Teo at like 15?!? That would be epic!
dead_poet
Commissioner

Post by dead_poet »

I hate to keep bringing this up, but this was pretty funny.
Manti Te'o says he feels confident he'll be taken in the first round by the Atlantis Unicorns.
@FakeESPN on Twitter
VikingLord
Hall of Famer

Post by VikingLord »

The #Vikings and #Bears love Manti Te'o. If Minnesota wants to grab him, they'll need to jump up over Chicago. That's what they plan to do
I don't think I've ever seen a guy who gets so much love from people both real and imaginary as Teo...

Bears need an offensive lineman or TE to help Cutler. They have a major decision coming up on Cutler's future with the team that in many ways puts them in the same bind the Vikings are in with Ponder.

Of course, they do need an Urlacher-apparent at MLB, so it wouldn't surprise me if they were interested in Teo. All I can say is that if we're talking 1st round I fully support their interest and hope they make that move.
mondry
Hall of Famer

Post by mondry »

VikingLord wrote: I don't think I've ever seen a guy who gets so much love from people both real and imaginary as Teo...

Bears need an offensive lineman or TE to help Cutler. They have a major decision coming up on Cutler's future with the team that in many ways puts them in the same bind the Vikings are in with Ponder.

Of course, they do need an Urlacher-apparent at MLB, so it wouldn't surprise me if they were interested in Teo. All I can say is that if we're talking 1st round I fully support their interest and hope they make that move.
It's just an easy story imo. Two teams that need MLB's, that both run 4-3's, that are divisional rivals, that pick some where near each other.
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

VikingLord wrote:Bears need an offensive lineman or TE to help Cutler.
They signed two of the former and one of the latter in free agency so they have already addressed those areas. I think they may draft an interior lineman but I doubt they'll do it in R1 unless Cooper or Warmack falls into their lap.
saint33
All Pro Elite Player

Post by saint33 »

Mothman wrote: They signed two of the former and one of the latter in free agency so they have already addressed those areas. I think they may draft an interior lineman but I doubt they'll do it in R1 unless Cooper or Warmack falls into their lap.

They also signed two starting linebackers though too. They've opened themselves up to do a number of different things tonight