Vikings Message Board User Mock Drafts

Talk about the latest College games and players and discuss the NFL Draft here. Get reports on players, prospects, Draft Links, the latest Mock Drafts and other indepth analysis, plus the latest on the NCAA College games.

Moderator: Moderators

HardcoreVikesFan
Hall of Famer

Re: Vikings Message Board User Mock Drafts

Post by HardcoreVikesFan »

saint33 wrote:Ok I'm going to put out my 2 round mock, will probably adjust a few things on the day of the draft based on rumors and whatnot, but for now I feel pretty comfortable with this. Normally, I hate predicting trades in mock drafts, because it's really just a crapshoot once you start trying to guess trades. But with a few rumored players on the trading block that I believe will get moved before the picks come in on Thursday/Friday, the way the board sits in the top 10 as far as top 10 players and fits, as well as a QB (or possibly two) likely to be snatched up at the bottom of round one, I'm going to include a few trades in this mock just for #### and giggles. It is only a mock draft after all. Plus there are bound to be a lot more trades than even I project in this.

1st Round

1. Kansas City Chiefs - Eric Fisher, OT Central Michigan

I mentioned around the Senior Bowl time here and there that I believed Fisher could be the best tackle available. It seems some have jumped on that bandwagon. This could change if the Joeckel bandwagon gains steam from now til Thursday, but I'll stick with my guy here.

2. Jacksonville Jaguars - Sharrif Floyd, DT Florida

Could they go Geno? Sure, but if I'm the Jags I steer clear of this QB class and stick with Gabbert. Not because I believe in him, more so because I don't believe in this class either and this team has FAR too many needs to risk missing on another QB. Sticking to the board here with Floyd over Jordan, not that Jordan is a reach, but Floyd is higher on the board. Sort of like what Denver did with Von Miller over Marcell Dareus. Dareus filled the bigger need and wouldn't have been a reach, but when it came down to it Miller was the better prospect and also filled a need.

*3. Arizona Cardinals (via Oak) - Luke Joeckel, OT Texas A&M

Cardinals are desperate for a tackle and if they sit put, probably won't get one. They have more leverage than Miami or San Diego sitting at 7 as it would take less for them to move up to land Joeckel. So that's what they do here.

4. Philadelphia Eagles - Dion Jordan, OLB Oregon

With Joeckel and Fisher off the board, it's between Lane Johnson and Jordan here. Both fill big needs, but I have Jordan higher on my board, so they go in that direction here. Doesn't hurt that Jordan played for Chip Kelly at Oregon, and Kelly has been on record as saying that Jordan was a "special player" for their team.

5. Detroit Lions - Lane Johnson, OT Oklahoma

Some may say defense is the bigger need here, but I don't agree. Left tackle is equally as dire with Allen, Peppers and Matthews beating up Matthew Stafford year in and year out. Ansah and Johnson are very close on my board, both are raw but extremely gifted physically. Ultimately Johnson is further along than Ansah in his development and thus the pick here. Plus the draft is a little deeper in the 2nd and 3rd rounds in the pass rush department then the left tackle department.

6. Cleveland Browns - Geno Smith, QB West Virginia

Now I personally would not make this pick. I think Smith is a large reach here, especially to a cold weather team. However, I have a strange feeling that the Browns new head coach Chudzinski could fall in love with Geno Smith, as he got this job based on the offense he created for Cam Newton and Geno can be a Newton-lite to fit that scheme. Plus with Weeden or Campbell to start this year, Geno is under no pressure to start immediately unless he can earn the job.

*7. Oakland Raiders (via Ari) - Star Lotulelei, DT Utah

Defensive line is the need here. Ziggy Ansah is another possibility, but the Raiders are void of talent all over the roster and may be better served with the more plug and play type of player that Star provides, rather then the developmental Ansah. I could really go either way here though.

8. Buffalo Bills - Ziggy Ansah, DE BYU

With Geno off the board (and not really fitting the Bills anyway) the Bill have to choose between monumentally reaching for Nassib, Barkley or Manuel, or adding to a depleted roster in another way. The Bills have always been a team that has surprised me on draft day by picking players that fill needs that are much lower in their order. So with this pick I passed on QB and WR, and leaned towards Ansah or Warmack. Even with Mario Williams, the Bills need a pass rusher on the opposite side as Mark Anderson was a FA bust for them last year. So finally Ansah's value is too much to pass on.

9. New York Jets - Barkevious Mingo, OLB LSU

The Jets could go in a number of ways here. If they trade Revis (which as you'll soon see, I believe they will) Milliner could make sense here. But I don't think they would consider trading him if they weren't content with Cromartie and Wilson as their starting CBs. Warmack could also be a fit at this point, but ultimately I went with Mingo, who both fills a large need and provides decent value. The Jets lack pass rushers and after Mingo there seems to be a bit of a drop off.

10. Tennessee Titans - Dee Milliner, CB Alabama

After signing Levitre, the Titans can opt to pass on Warmack here and fill probably their biggest need in the draft at CB. Milliner also provides great value at this point and brings a physical presence in the secondary that the Titans have lacked since the departure of Cortland Finnegan.

11. San Diego Chargers - Chance Warmack, OG Alabama

The Chargers offensive line has become a mess, so they really can't be picky with who they pick here. They may want a LT but they LTs worthy of this spot are all gone. So they settle for the best guard prospect here and land themselves a player who will likely be considered top 5 at his position with in a few years.

12. Miami Dolphins - DJ Hayden, CB Houston

Anyone you knows me, knows that I'm a huge Mike Mayock guy. Not that I believe his word is gospel, but I trust his word a helluva lot more than any other draft analyst. I'm not bold enough to make him the first corner off the board, even if Mayock has him ranked as his top corner. But when he says that Hayden will go between 10-20, I trust him.

*13. New York Jets (via TB) - Tyler Eifert, TE Notre Dame

Well here's where the Revis trade comes into play. I really like this pick as a bit of a surprise pick, Revis trade or not. The Jets need help in the passing game, but still have Holmes and Hill (whom they drafted high last year). Austin is a possibility here depending how they feel about Jeremy Kerley in the slot again this year. But with Dustin Keller gone, and Eifert sitting here, who I believe is criminally undervalued in most mock drafts, the fit seems good. However, as I alluded to, even if Revis is not traded here, I feel Eifert is a darkhorse pick for the Bucs as they have a large need for a pass catching TE as well, even if everyone is convinced it CB or bust for the team.

14. Carolina Panthers - Sheldon Richardson, DT Missouri

This is probably the easiest fit in the entire first round. Unless Richardson is gone, which could be the case, I really don't expect this pick to be anyone else.

15. New Orleans Saints - Jarvis Jones, OLB Georgia

You'll see largely varying opinions on Jones. Some think he's a top 10 pick, some think he shouldn't be drafted in the first round at all. He has apparently been cleared medically (although there is still obvious risk there), and his 40 time does not concern me as much as it does others. He is simply too good on tape to fall out of the 1st round, and I see a very nice fit here in New Orleans, who is desperate for pass rushers that fit their new 3-4 scheme.

16. St. Louis Rams - Tavon Austin, WR West Virginia

No Danny Amendola leaves a big hole at slot WR for the Rams. Who better to fill that void than Austin? Even with Jon Cooper still on the board, Austin is too good a value and too perfect a fit to pass on here.

17. Pittsburgh Steelers - Kenny Vaccaro, S Texas

The Steelers are a tough fit. They would like a pass rusher, but their are none that have value at this point and the Steelers don't reach. They could go with Patterson at this point to fill the void left by Mike Wallace. However I think their WR's are good enough with Big Ben at QB and the Steelers have had a knack for finding value and scheme fits in the later rounds at the position. Equally, if not more likely is they could look to add to their aging secondary. Troy Polamalu, Ike Taylor and Ryan Clark are all in the twilight of their careers and a youth movement should be on the way. Xavier Rhodes could makes sense here as well, but I'm going to stick with the Steelers tendency to draft for the future. Plus it is much harder to find a true playmaker at safety later in the draft and Vaccaro fits that bill.

18. Dallas Cowboys - Jon Cooper, OG North Carolina

The Cowboys couldn't be happier than if Cooper were to fall into their laps. Pair him up with Tyron Smith, and they'll have their left side locked up for years.

19. New York Giants - DJ Fluker, OT Alabama

The Giants have invested a lot of high picks into their defensive line in years past, now it's time to turn their attention to the offensive side. Fluker is very similar to Michael Oher from a few years ago, huge behemoth tackle who can simply overpower defensive offensive lineman. However, he does not have the feet you look for in a LT. Good news for the Giants is they have their LT shored up with Will Beatty. Fluker gives them a pair of bookends to be feared, and down the road he should be one of, if not the best RT in the league.

20. Chicago Bears - Xavier Rhodes, CB Florida St.

The Bears have filled a number of needs in free agency and have given themselves some wiggle room in the draft to truly take the best player available. The Bears corners last year were certainly one of the bright spots on the team, as both Peanut Tillman and Tim Jennings earned their spots in Hawaii. However, neither is getting any younger and Rhodes provides a great value pick at this point.

21. Cincinnati Bengals - Alec Ogletree, LB Georgia

The Bengals have made a few moves at linebacker resigning Rey Maualuga and recently signing James Harrison, which makes LB less of an immediate need in this draft. However, neither is a long term solution at their positions as Harrison probably only has a year or two left and Maualuga is one of the most overrated LBs in the league. Ogletree fits the mold of a Bengal in that he's extremely gifted physically and provides flexibility in Mike Zimmer's defense depending what they plan to do with Burfict and Maualuga. He also fits the "trouble child" mold that the Bengals seem to have no concern with taking a risk on.

22. St Louis Rams (via Was) - Eddie Lacy, RB Alabama

The Rams continue to stock up on offensive playmakers to surround Sam Bradford. Something Bradford has severely lacked in his short time in St. Louis. With the departure of Steven Jackson, the Rams bring in a similar downhill running back in Lacy.

23. Minnesota Vikings - Cordarrelle Patterson, WR Tennessee

With the rumors surrounding Patterson's potential drop in the draft, I am more than willing to buy in. I have been more than vocal with my positive opinion of Patterson. Could Patterson be the 3rd talented WR with a supposed diva-like mentality to fall into the Vikings laps (see Moss, Randy & Harvin, Percy)? I certainly hope so. This kid will bring immediate playmaking ability in both the return game and on offense, and could develop into a star at the WR position with the right coaching.

24. Indianapolis Colts - Bjoern Werner, DE/OLB Florida St.

A strong fit for Chuck Pagano's hybrid defense, Werner compares favorably to Paul Kruger. A player Pagano coached in Baltimore and reported tried to persuade into joining the Colts this off season. Werner is the kind of solid football player that well run organizations like the Colts seem to have fall into their laps year in and year out.

25. Minnesota Vikings (via Sea) - Manti Te'o, MLB Notre Dame

Did you really expect anything else? I think I may be one of, if not the biggest Te'o supporter on this board. I am not shy in my belief that not only is Te'o a solid football player, but a strong fit for our defense. Let the hate ensue, but I guess we'll all see on Thursday :wink:

26. Green Bay Packers - Justin Pugh, OT Syracuse

A very underrated offensive lineman prospect, I would not be at all surprised to here Pugh's name get called a lot earlier than many mock drafts have him pegged. Especially with the inevitable run on offensive lineman that is bound to happen in the first round. Pugh's biggest weakness is his relatively short arm length, something the Packers did not shy away from when drafting Bryan Bulaga a few years back.

27. Houston Texans - DeAndre Hopkins, WR Clemson

As so many on this site will attest to, Hopkins is a very strong WR prospect. While not as physically talented as some of the other WRs in this draft, he appears to be one of the "safer" wideouts available. He won't be pushing Megatron as the best WR in the NFL any time soon, but for a team like Houston simply looking for a compliment to Andre Johnson, Hopkins will certainly not disappoint.

28. Denver Broncos - Sylvester Williams, DT North Carolina

Denver has done a nice job in recent drafts of filling many of its needs. They don't have many of them in this upcoming draft. However they could use a large space eater in the middle of their line to pair with last years underrated rookie Derek Wolfe. A pass rusher such as Tank Carradine, DaMontre Moore or Margus Hunt could be in the mix here as well with Elvis Dumervil's departure.

29. New England Patriots - Justin Hunter, WR Tennessee

Bill Belichick has never drafted a WR in the first round in all of his tenure as a head coach (including his short stint with the Browns). An argument that legitimately could be used to argue this pick, but they said the same about his tendency to avoid the LB position a few years ago. That was until he drafted Jerod Mayo and then again Dont'a Hightower. I am not a huge fan of Hunter's personally, his drops concern me greatly. However I have a feeling that his physical gifts are bound to get him drafted in the first round. The Patriots have had a tendency for drafting athletes recently, and I think this could be a surprise pick that makes sense come draft day.

30. Atlanta Falcons - Desmond Trufant, CB Washington

A gifted zone corner, Trufant is a nice fit both scheme-wise and value-wise for the Falcons here at 30. Don't rule out the rumors of the Falcons making another blockbuster trade up to nab a corner like Milliner or Hayden. I'm simply not bold enough to make such a leap, and will settle for Trufant as solid fit here.

31. San Francisco 49ers - Johnathan Cyprien, S Florida International

With Dashon Goldson's loss the need at safety has become glaring for the 9ers. Recently signed Craig Dahl is abysmal in coverage and Donte Whitner is one of the most overrated safeties in the league. It's a toss up here between the two safeties from Florida here, but I'm siding with the smaller schooled Cyprien here for his mere size advantage over Elam.

*32. Buffalo Bills - Ryan Nassib, QB Syracuse

The Bills don't risk waiting around in the 2nd to land their guy, they jump up with the more than willing Baltimore Ravens (who have worked miracles in moving out of the first round and still landing a quality player). Nassib is smart, works hard and already has experience in Marrone's offense. He may not be the most gifted physically or have the strongest arm, but he should provide the Bills with the quality starting QB they have so desperately been looking for.

2nd Round

33. Jacksonville Jaguars - Johnathan Banks, CB Mississippi St.

Better football player than athlete and has the size that Bradley grew accustomed to in Seattle.

34. San Francisco 49ers (via KC) - Zach Ertz, TE Stanford

Athletic TE to pair with Davis. Can fill the HB role that was left by the departed Delanie Walker.

35. Philadelphia Eagles - Kyle Long, OL Oregon

Chip Kelly adds another one of his Oregon alumni with the versatile brother of Chris and son of Howie. Long can provide an immediate starter at either RT or RG for the Eagles.

36. Detroit Lions - Tank Carradine, DE Florida St.

Lions take an injury risk on the much need pass rusher they passed on in round 1.

37. Cincinnati Bengals (via Oak) - Matt Elam, S Florida

All around solid, but undersized safety to pair with Reggie Nelson.

38. Arizona Cardinals - DaMontre Moore, OLB Texas A&M

Cardinals pass on QB in round 2 and take a falling pass rusher who fits nicely with their 3-4 scheme.

39. New York Jets - EJ Manuel, QB Florida St.

You didn't expect the Jets to stick with Mark Sanchez and David Garrard at QB did you?

40. Tennessee Titans - Kevin Minter, MLB LSU

Colin McCarthy has been a huge disappointment for the Titans, missing far too many tackles. Something that should not happen with Minter.

*41. Baltimore Ravens (via Buf) - Arthur Brown, ILB Kansas St.

As always, the Ravens land themselves a great value after trading down and find an ideal replacement for Ray Lewis.

*42. Kansas City Chiefs (via Mia) - Matt Barkley, QB USC

Chiefs land their heir apparent to Alex Smith in a trade for Brandon Albert.

43. Tampa Bay Buccaneers - Johnathan Hankins, NT Ohio St.

With Revis locking down the corner spot, the Bucs turn their attention to a mammoth tackle to pair with Gerald McCoy.

44. Carolina Panthers - Keenan Allen, WR California

Panthers nab the reliable Boldin-esque Allen here to start opposite speedster Steve Smith.

45. San Diego Chargers - Menelik Watson, OT Florida St.

A gifted, but raw tackle the Chargers can fit in next to Warmack to solidify the left side of their oline.

46. St. Louis Rams - Eric Reid, S LSU

Physical safety that the Rams desperately need.

47. Dallas Cowboys - Kawann Short, DT Purdue

A disruptive 3-tech to pair with equally disruptive NT Jay Ratliff.

48. Pittsburgh Steelers - Markus Wheaton, WR Oregon St.

A speedy replacement for Mike Wallace who also brings more dimensions than Wallace ever did.

49. New York Giants - Margus Hunt, DE SMU

Raw but physically gifted and versatile. Exactly what the Giants love in defensive end prospects.

50. Chicago Bears - Khaseem Greene, LB Rutgers

Technically sound and hard working LB who could play multiple positions for the Bears.

51. Washington Redskins - Robert Woods, WR USC

Talented possession WR to pair with Pierre Garcon and add more weapons for RG3.

52. Minnesota Vikings - Jamar Taylor, CB Boise St.

Wishful thinking? Maybe, but I would not be surprised to see Taylor last this long. Physical zone corner, willing tackler and immediate impact nickel corner. Great replacement for Antoine Winfield.

53. Cincinnati Bengals - Giovanni Bernard, RB North Carolina

Talented scatback who makes a great compliment to the bigger Benjarvus Green-Ellis.

54. Miami Dolphins (via Ind) - Alex Okafor, DE Texas

High motor defensive end prospect to pair opposite Cameron Wake.

55. Green Bay Packers - Montee Ball, RB Wisconsin

Physical one cut runner who makes a nice compliment to DeJuan Harris and comes right from their backyard.

56. Seattle Seahawks - Montori Hughes, DT Tennesse-Martin

May be considered a reach with John Jenkins and Jesse Williams still on the board, but Seattle has a knack for finding underrated gems and Hughes could be just that.

57. Houston Texans - John Jenkins, NT Georgia

Texans have lacked a true nose tackle since switching to a 3-4 defense, but Jenkins is perfect to fill that role.

58. Denver Broncos - Robert Alford, CB Southeastern Louisiana

Smaller corner with nimble feet, can be groomed to eventually replace aging Champ Bailey.

59. New England Patriots - David Amerson, CB NC State

Physically gifted corner that fits the Patriots preference for taller, versatile DBs. Could be moved to safety.

60. Atlanta Falcons - Gavin Escobar, TE San Diego St.

Not as physically gifted as he appears on tape, but if he can play to his potential, could turn out to be a real steal here and an ideal replacement for Tony Gonzalez.

61. San Francisco 49ers - Jesse Williams, DL Alabama

Versatile defensive lineman who fits the 9ers scheme. Can play on the nose or at defensive end and is a nice replacement for departed Isaac Sopoaga.

62. Baltimore Ravens - Tyrann Mathieu, CB LSU

Character risk, but should stay in check within a mature Ravens locker. Extremely gifted playmaker at nickel corner, could be the steal of the draft.
Awesome job! :thumbsup:

You are much bolder than I am for trying to predict trades! I never do that hahaha.

The only thing I am unsure about is Tyler Eifert being a first rounder. I felt that Kyle Rudolph was a better prospect coming out than Eifert is and Rudy fell to us in the 2nd round. Eifert is fast, no doubt, but Kyle was more polished and had much better range. Tough to say, and Eifert probably will be drafted in the first round.
A Randy Moss fan for life. A Kevin Williams fan for life.
CaptainKirov
Starter

Post by CaptainKirov »

1. Kansas City: Eric Fisher OT - Joekel could use some work in terms of run blocking. Fisher is well rounded in terms of both Pass and Run blocking. Andy Reid loves big linemen.

2. Jacksonville: Dion Jordan DE - Jaguars had the least amount of sacks out of all the teams. They need the pass rush. Jordan is the ultra-athletic piece to the beginning of fixing their pass rush. With his length, speed and raw athletic ability, Jordan can be a difference maker at the defensive end position.

3. Oakland: Shariff Floyd DT - The raiders have virtually no starting defensive linemen. Floyd can be that pass-rushing presence in the Oakland front four. With his first-step quickness and pure pass-rushing acumen, he has the talent to step into this remade defense and become a star in the middle of the field.

4. Philadelphia: Dee Milliner CB - Philly could go so many different ways with this pick. With Jordan off the board i see the eagles going for another defensive position with Dee Milliner. The eagles lost Asomugha, DRC and traded Asante Samuel away, they have nobody.

5. Detroit: Luke Joeckel OT - The lions lost both Gosder Cherilus(Colts) and Jeff Backus(Retired). In their best effort to keep Jared Allen, Julius Peppers and Clay Matthews from dismantling Matthew Stafford every play. Riley Reiff will take Cherilus' spot on the right side. Joekel and his elite pass blocking skills fit perfectly in the lions' vertical passing attack.

6. Cleveland: Lane Johnson OT - *TRADE* I see Miami trading their #12 pick and a few later round picks to switch with cleveland and get the last top tackle in the top 10. Johnson will imediatly step in and replace Jake Long as the blindside protector for Ryan Tannehill

7. Arizona: Chance Warmack OG - Missing out on Fisher, Joekel and Johnson, Arizona faces a fairly easy task. Their offensive line needs all the help it can get and selecting Warmack gives newly acquired QB Carson Palmer better interior protection and a dominant run blocker for recovering RB Rashard Mendenhall.

8. Buffalo: Ziggy Ansah DE - Buffalo could go for NC guard Johnathan Cooper, but having to face New England and Miami twice the Bills need the build a defense that can pressure Brady and Tannehill.

9. New York Jets: Barkevious Mingo OLB - The Jets have cleared out their defense. Linebackers especially. Kiki Mingo will provide the outside pass rush the jets have lacked for a while now.

10. Tennessee: Johnathan Cooper OG - Titans signed Andy Levitre but they could still use another guard. With how fragile Jake Locker is and how ineffective Chris Johnson is without good blocking the titans need to draft Cooper to play opposite Levitre.

11. San Diego: Star Lotulelei DT - Chargers lost Antonio Garay to age and free agency. Losing out on the top 3 OTs and top 2 OGs the Chargers go to rebuild their aging defense. Lotulelei would step in and can play the JJ Watt role as a DT or DE.

12. Miami: Xavier Rhodes CB - *Cleveland* They lost out on Milliner and Mingo so the browns go with the next best CB to play opposite Joe Haden, Xavier Rhodes. Rhodes fits better in a man coverage scheme and that would be exactly what Ray Horton will be implicating there in Cleveland.

13. New York Jets: Geno Smith QB - Im half away from this pick right now. The jets could really use Kenny Vaccaro and he would make alot of sense right here. Right now all they have is Dawan Landry and some no name guy. Why i have them taking Geno is because Mark Sanchez sucks absolute animal genatalia. Geno has greater accuracy, strong arm and a brain between the ears.

14. Carolina: Sheldon Richardson DT - I cant think of the last time the Panthers had a good DT. Richardson has the perfect combination of size, athleticism and a high-revving motor. If he can stay consistent he will anchor that defensive line for many years.

15. New Orleans: Jarvis Jones LB - Switching to Rob Ryan's 3-4 defense the Saints need a whole new set of OLBs. Jones played his whole career in Georgia's 3-4 defense. He can rush the passer and play the run.

16. St. Louis: Tavon Austin WR - Rams have Brian Quick and Chris Givens, they signed Jared Cook. Adding Austin would give them that home run threat over the middle and in the return game.

17. Pittsburgh: Kenny Vaccaro S - Kenny Vaccaro is a unique player in that he's able to play free safety, strong safety or nickel cornerback. That's the versatility that the Titans need in their defensive backfield. He's a smooth operator in the open field and could play either as a starter or sub-package player until the team moves on from the Veteran Troy Polamalu

18. Dallas: Sylvester Williams DT - Williams is the kind of player that will not wow you with pass rushing or run stopping, BUT he does both rather well. With the switch to a 4-3 defense the cowboys will need that prototypical 4-3 DT and Williams fits the bill perfectly.

19. New York Giants: Tank Carradine DE - The Giants love their D-Ends. Losing Osi is one thing, but veteran Justin Tuck is declining every year. Drafting Carradine means he would be their rotational player until the giants move on from Tuck.

20. Chicago: DJ Fluker OT - Marc Trestman is going to begin this draft by doing everything he can to help Jay Cutler

21. Cincinnati: Johnathan Cyprien S - Cyprien is a hard hitting safety that would step in immediately and become a force in the Bengals' young, physical defense.

22. St Louis: Matt Elam S - Calling Cyprien a hard hitting safety is almost a joke compared how hard Elam can hit, only knock on him is he's really freaking short. But he makes up for it in playmaking ability and leadership.

23. Minnesota: Cordarrelle Patterson WR - Drafting Patterson means the vikings are replacing Percy Harvin and his multi position ability AND they dont have to hear about complaining or headaches ever again.

24. Indianapolis: Bjoern Werner DE - Werner isn't a natural fit as a 3-4 outside linebacker, but he is powerful at the point of attack and has the bull-rush talent to drive back blockers on the edge. He doesn't have Von Miller quickness, but few prospects do. Werner has enough flexibility and leg drive to win on the edge, especially as a strong-side outside linebacker.

25. Minnesota: Manti Te'o LB - Vikings have a glaring hole at MLB. Te'o fits the defense and the need. And be sure of this: The first time he makes a big goal-line stop or interception, no one in Minnesota will care about his girlfriend or lack thereof.

26. Green Bay: Tyler Eifert TE - Tyler Eifert is a fan favorite in the 2013 draft class, thanks to his sure hands and lunchpail work ethic over the middle of the field. That's the type of player the Packers need at tight end

27. Houston: Keenan Allen WR - Andre Johnson is still one of the best receivers in the game, but as he ages, it becomes tougher for him to separate from double-coverage. Teams are able to slide their safeties over the top and limit what he can do down the field. Keenan Allen may not have elite speed on the track, but he's a smooth open-field runner and plays with the vision in space to make plays with his feet.

28. Denver: Dantone Jones DE - In the case of Datone Jones, he has high-level potential as an edge player in the 3-4 or 4-3 defense, but he's ready to go right now as a contributor. He would step in immediately taking over for Elvis Dumervill.

29. New England: Desmond Trufant CB - Trufant is the best man-coverage cornerback in this year's class, and he has the speed and instincts to step right into an NFL defense and start. That instant impact makes him a great fit in the Patriots' physical coverage schemes.

30. Atlanta: DJ Hayden CB - Hayden has talent—based on ability alone, he would be in my top 25 players—but medical red flags are always tough to gauge with 32 general managers making decisions based on information gathered independently of one another. Hayden's cover skills and playmaking ability might be enough to keep him in the first round, but know that his stock will vary wildly from one team to the next.

31. San Fran: Robert Woods WR - the 9ers lost Moss and Ted Ginn to FA and Mario Manningham to an ACL injury. Drafting Woods would give San Fran a solid #2 to play opposite Michael Crabtree or #3 if Manningham is able to come back and play effectively.

32. Baltimore: Arthur Brown LB - Arthur Brown doesn't have ideal inside linebacker metrics, but then again, neither did Ray Lewis coming out of college. He makes up for a lack of size with great instincts when tracking the ball, and he takes the angles that allow him to stop runners in the backfield. That's what the Ravens need on the inside of their 3-4 defense.
In victory,magnanimity; In defeat, defiance! - Fredrick The Great

HardcoreVikesFan
Hall of Famer

Final update for my mock draft has been posted! It has been another fun year of trying to guess the draft! Hopefully I get at least a few picks right.
HardcoreVikesFan
Hall of Famer

mrc44 wrote: I really do not see us grabbing Patterson. Spielman is the one responsible for Ponder being a Viking. If Ponder doesn't get a WR that is ready to contribute immediately to the passing game, then there is a good chance this season will look a lot like last in the passing department. We need multiple options on the field so Defenses can't just double cover the only good WR and then shut us down through the air. Spielman knows this and he knows his QB needs a solid contributor. Patterson will not be a solid contributor in the passing game his rookie year, unless he wakes up one morning and becomes a great route runner.

what do I know though, seriously. I am freaking fan with a passion, thats all.

Come on draft!
Hahahahaha wut. I did not mock Cordarrelle Patterson to the Vikings!
CaptainKirov
Starter

Post by CaptainKirov »

Patterson is ready to contribute immediately. Yes he needs coaching. But he can still run screens and end arounds...etc :deadhorse:

Crisp route running doesnt always make a receiver and thats the only real flaw in his game.

HardcoreVikesFan
Hall of Famer

Did a few adjustments this morning. The final, final draft is posted.

mrc44 wrote:
Ya, that's how out of whack I am, I can't even tell yours and captains avatars apart. Pretty sad
Don't worry about it man!
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

mrc44 wrote: I disagree, maybe if we had an amazing qb. But with our situation we need a skilled route runner. Do I like Patterson? Ya I do, a lot! And I will be excited if we get him, but I will also be very nervous about his ability to learn. I do t care as much that he can't run the routes as I am that he won't pick it up quickly. He has learning issues. He scored a 7 on the wonderlic and it is basic math and a few algebra questions. That's pretty sad

It's certainly not good, although poor Wonderlic scores don't necessarily translate to poor football learning skills.

CaptainKirov, I wouldn't say route-running is the only flaw in Patterson's game and that's certainly not the tune the scouting reports are singing either. For example:

http://www.nfl.com/draft/2013/profiles/ ... id=2540145
Consistently a body catcher, even when it is not necessary. Was not frequently asked to go up and get the football at its highest point. Large number of his snaps start while off the line of scrimmage, allows for a better release. Doesn't use his hands enough against a jam, tries to dip or side step rather than slap or push. Tends to throttle down in his breaks.Burst after the catch or return is only adequate but does accelerate quickly. Tries to do too much when the ball is in his hands at times. Dropped a few very catchable balls, including easy bucket throw over shoulder. Inconsistent blocking effort.
By almost all accounts, he's an incredible talent with a lot of learning to do.
saint33
All Pro Elite Player

Post by saint33 »

Final Mock:

1. Kansas City Chiefs – Eric Fisher, OL, Central Michigan
2. Jacksonville Jaguars – Luke Joeckel, OL, Texas A&M
*3. San Diego Chargers (via Oak) – Lane Johnson, OL Oklahoma
4. Philadelphia Eagles – Dion Jordan, DL Oregon
5. Detroit Lions – Ezekial Ansah, DL, BYU
*6. St. Louis Rams (via Cle) – Tavon Austin, WR West Virginia
7. Arizona Cardinals – Jon Cooper, OG North Carolina
8. Buffalo Bills – Chance Warmack, OG Alabama
9. New York Jets – Barkevious Mingo, DL, LSU
10. Tennessee Titans – Dee Milliner, DB, Alabama
*11. Oakland Raider (via SD) – Sharrif Floyd, DT Florida
12. Miami Dolphins – DJ Hayden, DB Houston
13. New York Jets (via TB) – Tyler Eifert, TE Notre Dame
14. Carolina Panthers – Sheldon Richardson, DL Missouri
15. New Orleans Saints – Star Lotulelei, DL Utah
*16. Cleveland Browns (via StL) – Geno Smith, QB West Virginia
17. Pittsburgh Steelers – Jarvis Jones, LB Georgia
18. Dallas Cowboys – Kenny Vaccaro, DB Texas
19. New York Giants – DJ Fluker, OL Alabama
20. Chicago Bears – Xavier Rhodes, DB Florida St.
21. Cincinnati Bengals – Eric Reid, S LSU
22. St. Louis Rams (via Was) – Eddie Lacy, RB Alabama
23. Minnesota Vikings – Cordarrelle Patterson, WR Tennessee
24. Indianapolis Colts – Bjoern Werner, DL Florida St.
25. Minnesota Vikings (via Sea) – Manti Te'o, LB Notre Dame
26. Green Bay Packers – Sylvester Williams, DL North Carolina
27. Houston Texans – Zach Ertz, TE Stanford
28. Denver Broncos – Justin Pugh, OL Syracuse
29. New England Patriots – Justin Hunter, WR Tennessee
30. Atlanta Falcons – Desmond Trufant, DB, Washington
31. San Francisco 49ers – Datone Jones, DL, UCLA
*32. Buffalo Bills (via Bal) – Ryan Nassib, QB Syracuse
HardcoreVikesFan
Hall of Famer

Damn. I got four correct. Trades destroyed me this year.
saint33 wrote: Final Mock:
You did well man! By my count, you got 7 players correct.
CaptainKirov
Starter

Post by CaptainKirov »

Mothman wrote:
It's certainly not good, although poor Wonderlic scores don't necessarily translate to poor football learning skills.

CaptainKirov, I wouldn't say route-running is the only flaw in Patterson's game and that's certainly not the tune the scouting reports are singing either. For example:

http://www.nfl.com/draft/2013/profiles/ ... id=2540145
By almost all accounts, he's an incredible talent with a lot of learning to do.
Patterson scored an 8..AJ Green scored a 10 on the wonderlic.

Eli
Hall of Famer

Post by Eli »

HardcoreVikesFan wrote: You did well man! By my count, you got 7 players correct.
I count 8. Yes, very well done.

Code: Select all

1 Chiefs      : Eric Fisher OT, Central Michigan
 2 Jaguars     : Luke Joeckel OT, Texas A&M
 5 Lions       : Ziggy Ansah DE, BYU
 7 Cardinals   : Jonathan Cooper G, North Carolina
 8 Rams        : Tavon Austin WR, West Virginia
17 Steelers    : Jarvis Jones LB, Georgia
24 Colts       : Bjoern Werner DE, Florida St
29 Vikings     : Cordarrelle Patterson WR, Tennessee
saint33
All Pro Elite Player

Post by saint33 »

Eli wrote: I count 8. Yes, very well done.

Code: Select all

1 Chiefs      : Eric Fisher OT, Central Michigan
 2 Jaguars     : Luke Joeckel OT, Texas A&M
 5 Lions       : Ziggy Ansah DE, BYU
 7 Cardinals   : Jonathan Cooper G, North Carolina
 8 Rams        : Tavon Austin WR, West Virginia
17 Steelers    : Jarvis Jones LB, Georgia
24 Colts       : Bjoern Werner DE, Florida St
29 Vikings     : Cordarrelle Patterson WR, Tennessee

Depends on how you grade it. I'm assuming he was going by player and pick, rather than player and team.

I got 7 picks correct (however DJ Hayden was projected to the Dolphins at 12, which ended up going to the Raiders). I got 9 players going to the correct teams however (you missed Atlanta selecting Desmond Trufant). Kind of upset I changed at the last minute the selections of Hopkins to the Texans and Sly Williams to the Broncos though.

I feel pretty good about, won me a picture frame on another website's mock draft contest :thumbsup: Thanks for the props
HardcoreVikesFan
Hall of Famer

Like I stated in my edited original post, I am resurrecting this thread from last year. Please feel free to post your mock here as many times as you would like throughout the offseason! I know for a fact I will be posting mine here a lot!

That being said, let me kick this thread off again. I recently did a mock on walterfootball.com. It is not perfect, but it makes sense to me at least haha. Enjoy! Also, please post your mocks if you will!

Here is my walterfootball mock. Please forgive any grammatical errors I may have made. I thought you could edit the draft after you posted it, but it appears that you cannot. Anyway, enjoy:

http://walterfootball.com/Mocks/Mock/4709/1 (EDIT: The link took you to the second part of the draft. I have fixed it so that you can start at the first part of the draft).
dead_poet
Commissioner

Post by dead_poet »

Nice work. Depending on how the draft shapes up, I'm very much on board with your selection of Watkins. Based on talent level alone, for me, he ranks higher than a guy like Dennard, who just happens to be a position of greater need. Looking long-term, Jennings doesn't have a ton of time left and I'd certainly like the idea of a transition of talent to Watkins, rather than need another #1 it #2 WR (a la Detroit). I just think from a pure player grading standpoint, a strong case could be made that his "number" would be a good degree higher than, perhaps, a guy like Bortles, Carr, Dennard or others. I wouldn't be disappointed if this is how it shakes out. Of course, if Rick passes on Bridewater, Manziel, Clowney, Mack or a couple of others, I may feel differently.
“Some people think football is a matter of life and death. I assure you, it's much more serious than that.” --- Bill Shankly
HardcoreVikesFan
Hall of Famer

dead_poet wrote:Nice work. Depending on how the draft shapes up, I'm very much on board with your selection of Watkins. Based on talent level alone, for me, he ranks higher than a guy like Dennard, who just happens to be a position of greater need. Looking long-term, Jennings doesn't have a ton of time left and I'd certainly like the idea of a transition of talent to Watkins, rather than need another #1 it #2 WR (a la Detroit). I just think from a pure player grading standpoint, a strong case could be made that his "number" would be a good degree higher than, perhaps, a guy like Bortles, Carr, Dennard or others. I wouldn't be disappointed if this is how it shakes out. Of course, if Rick passes on Bridewater, Manziel, Clowney, Mack or a couple of others, I may feel differently.
Thanks dead_poet. I appreciate you taking the time to read my mock and give me feedback.

As you can tell from my posts on this board and my mock, I believe that Minnesota needs to take BPA in this draft, which, would be Watkins if he fell to eight. I am not sure if I trust Rick to take BPA this year, given the fact that QB is our most glaring need.

As far as my own commentary on my mock - I think that Derek Carr has a good chance to fall to round 2. I mean, if Geno Smith and Matt Barkley can fall, Derek Carr can too. Then again, once that run of QBs starts, teams will get desperate. I just hope we aren't the team that gets desperate. I also think that this will be one of the most unpredictable drafts in recent memory. Houston will probably go with a QB when it is all said and done, but Jadevon is a hard guy to pass on even given his red flags.

I am very much looking forward to mocking this draft this year. It will be fun and challenging for sure.