Draft in April

Talk about the latest College games and players and discuss the NFL Draft here. Get reports on players, prospects, Draft Links, the latest Mock Drafts and other indepth analysis, plus the latest on the NCAA College games.

Moderator: Moderators

dead_poet
Commissioner

Re: Draft in April

Post by dead_poet »

Tyrann Mathieu - DB - Player

Out of 12 NFL personnel people polled by the Journal-Sentinel, nine said they would not draft LSU CB/PR Tyrann Mathieu or sign him as a free agent.

"He's a hell of a punt returner, but he's not that great a player," one personnel man said. "Besides, we got enough guys on our team that smoke dope. Why do I want one that might be smoking it in his room the night before a game?" Mathieu's marijuana issues have been well documented, but he passed his Combine drug test and appears to have turned a corner. There's enough talent here that a team will take a shot on Day 2 of the draft. "I did not want to like him, but he is fantastic," another scout said. "I know he's 5-8 3/4, but when you watch that tape all he does is make plays, and he's an excellent returner."
Source: Milwaukee Journal-Sentinel
“Some people think football is a matter of life and death. I assure you, it's much more serious than that.” --- Bill Shankly
PacificNorseWest
Career Elite Player

Post by PacificNorseWest »

Guys...I'm excited :lol:

I don't think I've ever been so excited for a draft. I wish it was still the old format though. I would love to wake up Saturday morning and zone out all day on some NFL Draft.
dead_poet
Commissioner

Post by dead_poet »

NFL Film guru Greg Cosell:
Cornerback is arguably the deepest position within this draft. Which cornerback has impressed you the most and why?

That’s easy for me—the cornerback that has impressed me the most might surprise a lot of people: D.J. Hayden (University of Houston). There’s a medical concern with him because he had a life-threatening injury that is not normally associated with a football injury. I believe he’s been medically cleared, but when you have that kind of injury, there’s definitely a concern. However, I think D.J. Hayden has the most complete skill set of any CB in this draft, including Dee Milliner and Xavier Rhodes.

I don’t believe Hayden will be the first CB taken, but I don’t know where he’d stand if there was no medical concern. I believe, with his combination of movement, aggressiveness, competitiveness, playing personality, and the fact that he’s a very physical and willing run-support defender, that D.J. Hayden is the most multi-dimensional corner in this draft.
http://nflfilms.nfl.com/2013/04/23/greg ... qa-part-2/

---
I'm starting to hope for a combination of Hayden/Hopkins/Sylvester Williams
“Some people think football is a matter of life and death. I assure you, it's much more serious than that.” --- Bill Shankly
HardcoreVikesFan
Hall of Famer

Post by HardcoreVikesFan »

dead_poet wrote:NFL Film guru Greg Cosell:
http://nflfilms.nfl.com/2013/04/23/greg ... qa-part-2/

---
I'm starting to hope for a combination of Hayden/Hopkins/Sylvester Williams
I am very skeptical of this sudden rise D.J. Hayden has enjoyed. To me, it seems that sympathy may be a factor... Just sayin'.
A Randy Moss fan for life. A Kevin Williams fan for life.
dead_poet
Commissioner

Post by dead_poet »

HardcoreVikesFan wrote:I am very skeptical of this sudden rise D.J. Hayden has enjoyed. To me, it seems that sympathy may be a factor... Just sayin'.
NFL front offices don't draft from sympathy. There's far too much at stake.
HardcoreVikesFan
Hall of Famer

Post by HardcoreVikesFan »

dead_poet wrote: NFL front offices don't draft from sympathy. There's far too much at stake.
Then what is it? Some team inflating his value? I don't understand how a consensus 5th corner can vault all the way up the best corner (according to Mayock) and go from being a late second round pick to now being a top 25 corner.

I am just confused is all. I admit, I have only seen the guy play once so maybe he has 'it.'
A Randy Moss fan for life. A Kevin Williams fan for life.
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

HardcoreVikesFan wrote: Then what is it? Some team inflating his value? I don't understand how a consensus 5th corner can vault all the way up the best corner (according to Mayock) and go from being a late second round pick to now being a top 25 corner.

I am just confused is all. I admit, I have only seen the guy play once so maybe he has 'it.'

Well, he hasn't been drafted so the NFL Front offices haven't "spoken" on the subject just yet. :) I might be mistaken but I think that was dead_poet's point: if Hayden's rise is due to sympathy on the part of all the prognosticators, he may go lower than they expect because NFL teams won't be viewing him with the same sympathy.

Some of these guys vault up boards late because for as much as all the draft gurus talk about players and rank them for their various media employers early, they don't see a lot of film on some of them until later and it changes their opinions. It's also possible, as you said, that some team is inflating his value.
dead_poet
Commissioner

Post by dead_poet »

HardcoreVikesFan wrote:Then what is it?
A) His Pro Day B) More people watching his film and C) his medicals checked out
I'd prefer to have Milliner, but he'll be long gone. We have significant corner issues and I like the kid.

Here's some film:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=llLcuVvBZ1M
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tASWQSReaj0
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V3Rpnxjf7SE
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DULLKzandYI
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lp5VU7e00c0
Eli
Hall of Famer

Post by Eli »

Hayden's late rise could be explained simply by the fact that he was completely written off by both NFL personnel deptartments and draft gurus after such a devastating injury. Only after he got the all-clear from doctors did he get put back on the board. But the injury is still a concern for some. He's ranked variously anywhere from a top 20 pick to somewhere in the 6th round by different draftniks.
John_Viveiros
Career Elite Player

Post by John_Viveiros »

This is a crazy year. No one knows where anyone is going in the draft! Look at Peter King's mock:
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/-nfl-d ... eter-king/

Guys I wanted:
Sylvester Williams gone at 15
Vacarro gone at 16
Cyprien gone at 18
Hopkins gone at 22
Rhodes gone at 24 (before we can pick him)

So I'm thinking this would be catastrophic. But that leaves a bunch of guys undrafted:
Hunter
Lotulelei
T. Williams
Patterson
Trufant
Brown

I can't believe the Vikes would let Lotulelei go past them at #23 if they had a shot (unless they are in on some medical information the rest of us don't have). I could forgo the pain of missing out on Hopkins for Star.
John_Viveiros
Career Elite Player

Post by John_Viveiros »

Another thing about King's draft - he has Patterson going at #31. I just don't see how that's possible. I'm being consistent here... I don't particularly want the Vikings to draft him. But I think that some GM of one of the 32 teams is going to feel Cordarelle is a top ten talent. And if you see a guy you have in your top ten fall into the lower 20's, you are going to trade up and grab him, because the price there is too good to pass up. It'll cost about a 2 and a 3 to move up at that point. To trade up to #12 (assuming that's where you thought his talent placed him) basically would cost a team like the 49'ers (drafting low every round) their whole draft (1-7).
Eli
Hall of Famer

Post by Eli »

John_Viveiros wrote:This is a crazy year. No one knows where anyone is going in the draft! Look at Peter King's mock:
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/-nfl-d ... eter-king/

Guys I wanted:
Sylvester Williams gone at 15
Vacarro gone at 16
Cyprien gone at 18
Hopkins gone at 22
Rhodes gone at 24 (before we can pick him)

So I'm thinking this would be catastrophic. But that leaves a bunch of guys undrafted:
Hunter
Lotulelei
T. Williams
Patterson
Trufant
Brown

I can't believe the Vikes would let Lotulelei go past them at #23 if they had a shot (unless they are in on some medical information the rest of us don't have). I could forgo the pain of missing out on Hopkins for Star.
Why does King have Lotulelei dropping to #26? Others have him in the top 5 and I've even seen him #1 in a few mocks.

It is a crazy year.
mondry
Hall of Famer

Post by mondry »

mrc44 wrote:
But a lot don't that's the thing. He could definitely drop to #31. Do I think he will? No, probably not but a lot of team's were very turned off by his immaturity in meetings and he only has one year really playing football at a serious level.
It basically comes down to if you think Devin Hester is worth a first round pick or not. You can basically match them word for word. "dangerous kick / punt returner" "Incredible open field running skills" "elusive with the ball in his hands." Also nearly identical in the lack of actual receiver skills and identical to their roles in the offense early on, as in he's only a kick returner and bubble screen guy. If he was a Running back those would be great things to be known for. As a WR, you have to actually get open and catch the ball before you can do anything with it.

At this point it's really just a guess if he'll fail like Hester or have it click. It wouldn't surprise me though if Patterson slides into the second round.
Purple bruise
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by Purple bruise »

I have my fingers crossed for Teo and Austin/Allen :smilevike:
Do not mistake KINDNESS for WEAKNESS!

Best to keep your mouth shut and be thought a fool rather than open it and remove all doubt.
dead_poet
Commissioner

Post by dead_poet »

This is innnnnnnnneteresting: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/pub ... RUE&gid=10

By Eric Stoner, NFL Draft Analyst for DraftBreakdown, Rotoworld and Bleacher Report