Okay, VMB, who do you want in round 1?

Talk about the latest College games and players and discuss the NFL Draft here. Get reports on players, prospects, Draft Links, the latest Mock Drafts and other indepth analysis, plus the latest on the NCAA College games.

Moderator: Moderators

Who do you want in Round 1 (pick 2)?

Poll ended at Sat Apr 27, 2013 8:03 am

CORDARRELLE PATTERSON
19%
ALEC OGLETREE
4%
D.J. HAYDEN
11%
SYLVESTER WILLIAMS
13%
MANTI TE'O
15%
JUSTIN HUNTER
No votes
XAVIER RHODES
6%
DEANDRE HOPKINS
17%
ARTHUR BROWN
11%
KEENAN ALLEN
4%

Total votes: 47

dead_poet
Commissioner

Okay, VMB, who do you want in round 1?

Post by dead_poet »

Taking the temperature of the collective here before the draft.

Note: these are guys that have a greater possibility at being there at 23/25. I'd love Dee Milliner, Chance Warmack, Sheldon Richardson or Sharrif Floyd but conventional wisdom says they're long gone. Time to put your cards on the table. Who do you want? Can pick 2.

Feel free to write-in candidates. There's a max number of options and I couldn't add everybody.

Potential write-in candidates: S Matt Elam, DE Tank Carradine, S Jonathan Cyprien, LB Kevin Minter, CB Desmond Trufant, WR Robert Woods
Last edited by dead_poet on Thu Apr 25, 2013 8:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
“Some people think football is a matter of life and death. I assure you, it's much more serious than that.” --- Bill Shankly
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Re: Okay, VMB, who do you want in round 1?

Post by Mothman »

No way, buddy! Tell us who you want first. :)

I'm curious but I'm also stalling because at this point, my mind has been saturated with pre-draft info and I don't know who I want them to select. I just want them to choose two players who will be great additions to the team. I'll give it some more thought and cast a vote.

For what it's worth, I think Austin will be long gone too but who knows?
dead_poet
Commissioner

Post by dead_poet »

Hey! This is MY poll. You can't tell me what to do. 8)

It's really hard to pick. I secretly want Dee Milliner to drop due to injury concerns or Sheldon Richardson to drop, and I've seen him fall to Chicago at 20 in some mocks. But I didn't give that option here because I just don't think it's going to happen. I've liked what I've seen from Sylvester Williams and I don't see us with an in-house candidate to replace Kevin Williams next season. 3-technique is crucial to this defense and this guy is pretty darn good.

Some Sylvester Williams

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wl-6hpChpJ0
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w9GZz4l2Sxs

My pipe dream is probably: Sylvester Williams at 23, trade back with #25 and select some combination of Robert Woods/Justin Hunter/Keenan Allen and Arthur Brown or Te'o in R2. I'm also high on DJ Hayden, but my gut says that unless he's there at our pick that we'll wait to address corner in round 2/3.

In short, I like a lot of guys and have no idea. :o Unless there's a big surprise from a guy that's not listed here, the only pick I can see being overly polarizing here would be Te'o. I'd also be shocked if we went safety or traded up.
“Some people think football is a matter of life and death. I assure you, it's much more serious than that.” --- Bill Shankly
dead_poet
Commissioner

Post by dead_poet »

Mothman wrote:For what it's worth, I think Austin will be long gone too but who knows?
You're right. I took him out and added Rhodes.
dead_poet
Commissioner

Post by dead_poet »

More possible evidence Spielman could be targeting a DT:
But what he said next, after noting the middle linebacker Jasper Brinkley was a free agent and Harrison Smith had been a revelation as a rookie, was a quote that stuck in my head as I tried to figure out the Vikings' plans with the Nos. 23 and 25 overall picks in this year's NFL Draft.

"We'll go ahead and look at that," Spielman said, "but I really, honestly believe if you can take care of the center of your offense and defense as you go through there, that's the key part of building a successful roster."

If the Vikings' general manager holds true to that belief, it's plain what he must do on Thursday night.

He'll use one pick on a defensive tackle and the other on a middle linebacker, solidifying an interior that has deteriorated further than many realize over the past few years.

That's easier said than done, of course. If the top defensive tackles (Florida's Sharrif Floyd, Utah's Star Lotulelei, Missouri's Sheldon Richardson, North Carolina's Sylvester Williams) and middle linebackers (Georgia's Alec Ogletree, Notre Dame's Manti Te'o, perhaps Kansas State's Arthur Brown) are gone, there's no point in Spielman reaching.

After all, the Vikings also could use help at receiver, cornerback, guard and maybe even defensive end, depending how hard they're looking at who's unsigned beyond the season. That's why the decisions with their top picks this time are so much more difficult to project.
http://www.1500espn.com/sportswire/Peli ... ious042413
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

dead_poet wrote:Hey! This is MY poll. You can't tell me what to do. 8)

It's really hard to pick. I secretly want Dee Milliner to drop due to injury concerns or Sheldon Richardson to drop, and I've seen him fall to Chicago at 20 in some mocks. But I didn't give that option here because I just don't think it's going to happen. I've liked what I've seen from Sylvester Williams and I don't see us with an in-house candidate to replace Kevin Williams next season. 3-technique is crucial to this defense and this guy is pretty darn good.

Some Sylvester Williams

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wl-6hpChpJ0
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w9GZz4l2Sxs

My pipe dream is probably: Sylvester Williams at 23, trade back with #25 and select some combination of Robert Woods/Justin Hunter/Keenan Allen and Arthur Brown or Te'o in R2. I'm also high on DJ Hayden, but my gut says that unless he's there at our pick that we'll wait to address corner in round 2/3.

In short, I like a lot of guys and have no idea. :o Unless there's a big surprise from a guy that's not listed here, the only pick I can see being overly polarizing here would be Te'o. I'd also be shocked if we went safety or traded up.
Ogletree might be polarizing too, just because of his character issues.

I'm in the same boat you're in: I like a lot of players and have no idea who I want the Vikes to take. The biggest dilemma for me is figuring out who I think they could pass on in the first round and still get in R2, even if they had to move up a bit to do it. For example, I'd love to see the Vikings draft a DT but I'm not entirely sold on Williams and I doubt Richardson, Floyd or Lotulelei are going to fall to them. I think I prefer Short's game to Sylvester Williams (I think Short provides more as a pass rusher/penetrator into the backfield) but could they get Short at some point in R2? They'd probably have to move up.

CB, WR, MLB, DT... ? I just don't know!
losperros
Commissioner

Post by losperros »

I hate to be a wimp about this but I can't vote. Why? I can't make up my mind.

The Vikings have so much need that I won't complain at all if they address MLB, CB, DT, or WR in the first round.

I mean, they have to address ALL those positions sooner or later.
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

losperros wrote:I hate to be a wimp about this but I can't vote. Why? I can't make up my mind.

The Vikings have so much need that I won't complain at all if they address MLB, CB, DT, or WR in the first round.

I mean, they have to address ALL those positions sooner or later.
None of us can make a choice. :rofl:
dead_poet
Commissioner

Post by dead_poet »

Mothman wrote:I think I prefer Short's game to Sylvester Williams (I think Short provides more as a pass rusher/penetrator into the backfield) but could they get Short at some point in R2? They'd probably have to move up.!
I like his game too, but his motor is questionable, he seems to wear down quickly and I don't think he's quite as quick. I've seen plays where he's standing trying to catch his breath as the ball is snapped. He doesn't pursue very well and his awareness is spotty at times. He was #93 for Purdue, so maybe that's a sign. :) I suppose the question, if it's down to those two, is if Rick thinks the dropoff between the two is small enough where he can get a higher-ranked guy on his board (for instance Arthur Brown or DJ Hayden) and still get a talented DT in Short a bit later.
Ogletree might be polarizing too, just because of his character issues.
I've been softening my stance on Ogletree a bit.
http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nf ... t/2105067/

That said, I still don't think he's the fit Spielman is looking for. In a perfect world, you put Ogletree's athleticism into Te'o and we're set.

Something else to consider: next year's ILB crop. Andrew Jackson and Max Bullough are guys to watch, the latter sounding like a "Spielman" type of player from what I've read. It would be interesting/surprising if Rick picked up Ogletree or Brown, plunked them in at OLB (moving them to MLB in nickel packages), Erin/Audie to MLB in base, and targeting one of those guys for 2014 if he feels they might be better suited to the defense. He'd be criticized up and down for "failing to address the position," this year but I can see our LBs being beastly if Jackson/Bullough turn out to be studs with Ogletree/Brown at OLB opposite Greenway.
PacificNorseWest
Career Elite Player

Post by PacificNorseWest »

Robert Woods, but I don't see him. :(
dead_poet
Commissioner

Post by dead_poet »

Sounds about right:
Assessed 20 mocks for Vikings' picks: 15 combos, 14 players, 6 positions. 'Like putting a Rubik's Cube together': http://bit.ly/14Spd4D
Dan Weiderererererer on Twitter
The most popular picks: Te’o (with seven votes), Hunter (six) and Williams and Woods (five each).
The most popular combo: Te’o-Hunter (three votes).
Funkytown
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by Funkytown »

Come on Te'o lovers. Hit the button. No love for your man?!? lol.

I can't wait til tonight gets over with so we can all stop stressing. :thumbsup:

I was listening to something last night (not sure what it was..I was kinda busy getting ready for my trip to Minneapolis), but it was talking about Spielman. About how he's spent time with/on Ogletree, Minter, and Brown. It could have been wishful thinking, but it seemed as if Te'o was more of an afterthought. I was probably dreaming. :D Nah, it was real. Maybe that was just my wishful thinking taking over, but I definitely heard about Spielman being high on these 4 guys...not just Te'o. Whew. There's hope for me yet!
dead_poet
Commissioner

Post by dead_poet »

MelanieMFunk wrote:I can't wait til tonight gets over with so we can all stop stressing.
Right! Then we can focus on stressing over rounds 2-7! :twisted:
Funkytown
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by Funkytown »

dead_poet wrote: Right! Then we can focus on stressing over rounds 2-7! :twisted:
lol. How about rounds 2-4? Beyond that? Eh. I wouldn't lose any sleep! ;)
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

dead_poet wrote:I like his game too, but his motor is questionable, he seems to wear down quickly and I don't think he's quite as quick. I've seen plays where he's standing trying to catch his breath as the ball is snapped. He doesn't pursue very well and his awareness is spotty at times.
Maybe he just needs a good pro conditioning program. ;) Williams has a lot of the same question marks about consistency and stamina but I think Short offers a more diverse game and more potential as a DT who can collapse the pocket and disrupt the backfield. I saw
He was #93 for Purdue, so maybe that's a sign. :)
Maybe. Either way, it's an easy transition if they're planning to replace KW. Short can wear #93 or Williams can be replaced by williams.
I suppose the question, if it's down to those two, is if Rick thinks the dropoff between the two is small enough where he can get a higher-ranked guy on his board (for instance Arthur Brown or DJ Hayden) and still get a talented DT in Short a bit later.
Exactly.
I've been softening my stance on Ogletree a bit.
http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nf ... t/2105067/

That said, I still don't think he's the fit Spielman is looking for. In a perfect world, you put Ogletree's athleticism into Te'o and we're set.

Something else to consider: next year's ILB crop. Andrew Jackson and Max Bullough are guys to watch, the latter sounding like a "Spielman" type of player from what I've read. It would be interesting/surprising if Rick picked up Ogletree or Brown, plunked them in at OLB (moving them to MLB in nickel packages), Erin/Audie to MLB in base, and targeting one of those guys for 2014 if he feels they might be better suited to the defense. He'd be criticized up and down for "failing to address the position," this year but I can see our LBs being beastly if Jackson/Bullough turn out to be studs with Ogletree/Brown at OLB opposite Greenway.
That's an interesting possibility! I like Ogletree much better as an OLB than an ILB.