Draft in April

Talk about the latest College games and players and discuss the NFL Draft here. Get reports on players, prospects, Draft Links, the latest Mock Drafts and other indepth analysis, plus the latest on the NCAA College games.

Moderator: Moderators

S197
Fenrir

Re: Draft in April

Post by S197 »

dead_poet wrote:Matt Elam - DB - Gators

NFL Films' Greg Cosell writes that NFL teams will view Florida S Matt Elam as a Bob Sanders type.

"In the base defense, he played both single high and 2-deep. It was not hard to like Elam. He was active, aggressive and competitive," Cosell wrote. "He covered, and he hit, with striking ability and force. He flashed explosive traits as an athletic and physical defender with multiple and interchangeable attributes to play effectively both in the box, and deep. The one concern, and it returns to what I discussed earlier, is man coverage versus tight ends. That’s where his lack of height comes into play. Elam is one of several players whose draft position I am anxious to see. Will teams see him as a Bob Sanders type player whose overall impact outweighs his potential coverage limitation? My guess is, yes."
Source: Yahoo! Sports
I've talked Elam up a lot and I still think if the Vikings are going secondary, he would be a better pick than one of the corners that will be on the board. Smith and Elam would be one hell of a duo, the Vikings could probably trade back a little and snag him too.
Demi
Commissioner

Post by Demi »

Yeah Elam is a guy I'd love for them to take with one of their picks. Safeties, Guards. You can get elite talent in the first at some positions instead of just getting average to slightly above at others. Especially late in the round.
dead_poet
Commissioner

Post by dead_poet »

Interesting take from NFL Films guru Greg Cosell:
"My favorite overall linebacker in this draft is Arthur Brown from Kansas State"
Coincidentally, he mocks him to the Vikings at 25. Here are his two first-round picks for the Purple.
23. Minnesota Vikings: This is where the offensive player that intrigues me the most comes off the board. That’s Justin Hunter, the Tennessee receiver. Hunter has a very similar body type to AJ Green: long, lithe and sinewy. Relax, I am not saying he’s Green at this point. But Hunter is the most explosive outside receiver in this draft class with his size/speed combination. He’s 6-foot-4, and there are not many with his height, length and movement. He showed the kind of vertical acceleration that impacts games. With free access, he ate up ground in a heartbeat, lifting the top off the coverage. The concern as he transitions is his inconsistent hands. He must catch the ball more consistently. But no WR has Hunter’s mix of size, fluidity, speed and explosion.
25. Minnesota Vikings: My favorite overall linebacker in this draft is Arthur Brown from Kansas State. He’s not as athletically gifted as Alec Ogletree but at this point he’s a more consistent player. Brown is an active, athletic, movement LB with some quick twitch to his game. He showed excellent agility and change of direction. As a tackler, he was sudden and explosive, with short area burst and striking ability. What I really liked was his ability to fight through blocks, work through traffic and take the most direct path to the ball. He trusted what he saw, showed excellent play recognition and was decisive with his reactions. His overall consistency was such I believe he could step right in from day one and be Minnesota’s starting MLB.
Mock picks 17-32: http://espn.go.com/blog/nfcnorth/post/_ ... r-williams

Edit: Patterson goes #29 to NE. Minter #32. Keenan Allen #27. Dee Milliner #17. I'm guessing Te'o falls out of the first round.

Sylvester Williams goes to the Rams at #22. Related: Sport Science video with Sylvester Williams: http://espn.go.com/blog/nfcnorth/post/_ ... r-williams
North Carolina defensive tackle Sylvester Williams is considered a candidate to be drafted by any of the three NFC North teams choosing between Nos. 20-26 in Thursday night's first round. This Sport Science video helps explain why.

Williams derives his power from 33-inch thighs, larger than at least a few of your waists. (Sadly, not your friendly blogger's.) In the video, Williams demonstrates his quickness in the form of a 10-yard split that was faster than the average result of this year's running back class.
“Some people think football is a matter of life and death. I assure you, it's much more serious than that.” --- Bill Shankly
Funkytown
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by Funkytown »

Brown and Hunter? I could accept that. :thumbsup:
dead_poet
Commissioner

Post by dead_poet »

Sharrif Floyd - DL - Player

NFL.com's Daniel Jeremiah believes Florida DT Sharrif Floyd could fall out of the top-ten picks if Oakland doesn't take him at No. 3.

We've been getting the same vibe; and don't believe the Raiders will take him at 3. The teams picking at Nos. 4-9 either "don't fit Floyd scheme-wise," per Jeremiah, "or they are set" at defensive tackle. We wouldn't be shocked if Floyd fell all the way to the Panthers at No. 14. He only appeals to 4-3 defenses.
Source: NFL.com
“Some people think football is a matter of life and death. I assure you, it's much more serious than that.” --- Bill Shankly
dead_poet
Commissioner

Post by dead_poet »

The @predictmachine's mock draft has #Vikings taking Manti Te'o at 23, Sheldon Richardson at 25, Cordarrelle Patterson at 52. Take that?
I don't know if those end up being the names, but MLB-DT-WR is a logical way to start. Writing a column later on the receiver issue.
Tom Pelissero on Twitter
Funkytown
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by Funkytown »

dead_poet wrote: Tom Pelissero on Twitter
Patterson makes it to 52? Someone is in dream land. :)
jeg067
Starter

Post by jeg067 »

Cordarrelle Patterson at 52 ?

I can believe that.
I mean, since Geno Smith goes at 58, Ezekiel Ansah at 61, DeAndre Hopkins at 89,
Barkevious Mingo at 137, Desmond Trufant at 142 and Justin Hunter at 166, why not ?

And I didn't even make this up.... :rofl:

http://predictionmachine.com/nfl-draft- ... s-complete
The natural state of the football fan is bitter disappointment. - N.H.
John_Viveiros
Career Elite Player

Post by John_Viveiros »

Rotoworld's draft rankings (no QB's: a different scale they say) -
http://www.rotoworld.com/articles/cfb/4 ... p-151?pg=1

This section caught my eye.
30. WR Quinton Patton, Louisiana Tech
31. WR Markus Wheaton, Oregon State
32. CB DJ Hayden, Houston
33. CB Johnthan Banks, Mississippi State
34. T Terron Armstead, Arkansas-Pine Bluff
35. DT Johnathan Hankins, Ohio State
36. CB Desmond Trufant, Washington
37. DT Sylvester Williams, UNC
38. ILB Kevin Minter, LSU
39. TE Travis Kelce, Cincinnati
40. DE Damontre Moore, Texas A&M
41. WR Robert Woods, USC
42. LB Alec Ogletree, Georgia
43. T D.J. Fluker, Alabama
44. RB Eddie Lacy, Alabama
45. ILB Manti Te’o, Notre Dame
46. WR Stedman Bailey, WVU
Seventeen players. I want twelve of them. I would trade our two picks in the first round for three of these guys. Jimmy Johnson's chart says we could get 40-42 based on points for #23 and #25. Of course, no team owns those three picks. But it goes to show how flat this draft is in the range of 20-50. A good trade for us would be for a mid-second and an early third for one of our firsts.

It's a nice year to have draft picks and options for trading.
big deli Vike
Backup

Post by big deli Vike »

looking at something like that makes me think why so many mocks have us taking sylvester williams and not jesse williams. Jesse is an Australian monster, and sly is "good". if we take DT why not take the best available, and no one has jesse going before us
CaptainKirov
Starter

Post by CaptainKirov »

big deli Vike wrote:looking at something like that makes me think why so many mocks have us taking sylvester williams and not jesse williams. Jesse is an Australian monster, and sly is "good". if we take DT why not take the best available, and no one has jesse going before us
Jesse Williams projects more as a Justin Smith type 3-4 DE. Although Daniel Jeremiah picked us to take Jesse @ 25. But Analysts like Mike Mayock and Matt Miller have him ranked as a late 2nd early 3rd round pick
In victory,magnanimity; In defeat, defiance! - Fredrick The Great

big deli Vike
Backup

Post by big deli Vike »

i think when guys put D linemen in categories like 3-4 or 4-3 (not saying you, but all the analysts) its kinda bologna. Jesse Williams played 4-3 at bama so why not NFL? Pat williams probably would've been a "3-4" but he worked great in our system. if dont take DT in 1st and he's around i hope we grab him.
dead_poet
Commissioner

Post by dead_poet »

Cornellius Carradine - DL - Seminoles

The Dolphins, Giants, Vikings, and Falcons are the "top suitors" for FSU DE Cornellius Carradine, according to draft insider Tony Pauline.

All four teams make sense, but the Dolphins would have to be sure Carradine could make an impact during his rookie season. The Vikings make a lot of sense, because of the contract situation of their entire defensive line. Even if he lack production during his rookie season, we firmly believe Carradine will be an impact player.
Source: Tony Pauline on Twitter
HardcoreVikesFan
Hall of Famer

Post by HardcoreVikesFan »

dead_poet wrote:Cornellius Carradine - DL - Seminoles

The Dolphins, Giants, Vikings, and Falcons are the "top suitors" for FSU DE Cornellius Carradine, according to draft insider Tony Pauline.

All four teams make sense, but the Dolphins would have to be sure Carradine could make an impact during his rookie season. The Vikings make a lot of sense, because of the contract situation of their entire defensive line. Even if he lack production during his rookie season, we firmly believe Carradine will be an impact player.
Oh boy oh boy. Everson Griffen AND Tank Carradine? Damn. That would be pretty scary.
A Randy Moss fan for life. A Kevin Williams fan for life.
losperros
Commissioner

Post by losperros »

dead_poet wrote:Cornellius Carradine - DL - Seminoles

The Seminoles have been good at recruiting talented DEs lately and Carradine is definitely one of them. I like this kid a lot.

The Vikings are going to have to think about the DL, given the uncomfortable contract dynamic that's going to rear its ugly head.