Should we draft a QB?

Talk about the latest College games and players and discuss the NFL Draft here. Get reports on players, prospects, Draft Links, the latest Mock Drafts and other indepth analysis, plus the latest on the NCAA College games.

Moderator: Moderators

mondry
Hall of Famer

Should we draft a QB?

Post by mondry »

If it's true that we're moving Webb to WR (it seems likely, as we have 4 QB's right now) who do you guys think would be worth a late round flyer? This guy should have more upside than MBT of course to become our developmental guy.

I think it's a good idea to draft someone, maybe a 5th rounder or our second 4th rounder? I'm someone who thinks Ponder will improve in 2013 but no matter how much you like someone it just makes sense to have a back up plan and I think we've found out that Webb isn't it.
Rus
Hall of Fame Inductee

Re: Should we draft a QB?

Post by Rus »

mondry wrote:If it's true that we're moving Webb to WR (it seems likely, as we have 4 QB's right now) who do you guys think would be worth a late round flyer? This guy should have more upside than MBT of course to become our developmental guy.

I think it's a good idea to draft someone, maybe a 5th rounder or our second 4th rounder? I'm someone who thinks Ponder will improve in 2013 but no matter how much you like someone it just makes sense to have a back up plan and I think we've found out that Webb isn't it.
I doubt a lot of them available in the sixth and seventh rounds are much better than MBT from what I've read of the late selections. If you were serious about drafting a developmental quarterback in this draft, it'd actually end up being in the second or third round because most of the better upside guys are going in those two. I'm thinking Glennon and Manuel, maybe Bray if you're up for a character risk. That said, those guys would be really solid developmental quarterbacks in any draft simply because they're all prototypical height and they all have pretty strong arms and decent athleticism (well, except for Glennon). They also all have a lot of work to do before they could run a successful NFL offense. Any other pick, though, feels like it'd be a waste. In this draft, the types of quarterbacks being drafted after the fifth round are the types that would be undrafted in most drafts.
-Rus
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

I think Zac Dysert (from Miami of Ohio) would be worth a mid-to-late round pick as a developmental QB:

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/play ... zac-dysert

http://www.nfl.com/draft/2013/profiles/ ... id=2539258

I like his potential quite a bit. I'm not sure how long he'll last but he could be available in the late 4th or 5th round window you mentioned.
PacificNorseWest
Career Elite Player

Post by PacificNorseWest »

I want them to get Tyler Wilson, but to answer the post...No.

The only thing I like about the Webb move is the dual position versatility he can provide for the roster. If he's used as the emergency Q, then the Vikes won't need to waste another roster spot for a guy that will be 3rd or even 4th on the depth chart.
mondry
Hall of Famer

Post by mondry »

Mothman wrote:I think Zac Dysert (from Miami of Ohio) would be worth a mid-to-late round pick as a developmental QB:

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/play ... zac-dysert

http://www.nfl.com/draft/2013/profiles/ ... id=2539258

I like his potential quite a bit. I'm not sure how long he'll last but he could be available in the late 4th or 5th round window you mentioned.
Nice, hopefully he only compares to big ben on the field haha. Definitely sounds like he has some issues as well but for a 4th or 5th round QB he sounds like he'd be worth a shot as the new #3 development guy.

We know it's Ponder for 2013, and if something happens to him cassel. I think that makes for a good situation for a rookie to sit back and learn a bit.
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

mondry wrote:Nice, hopefully he only compares to big ben on the field haha.

LOL! let's hope so...
He's definitely not perfect but I've seen him play a few times and he's "got game". I think he'd be an almost ideal mid-round developmental prospect because he has the proverbial tools to succeed and he's not a completely raw prospect. He's a skilled player.
I agree, I hope they come out of this draft with a young #3 QB with genuine future starting potential.
losperros
Commissioner

Post by losperros »

Mothman wrote: I agree, I hope they come out of this draft with a young #3 QB with genuine future starting potential.
I do too. Actually, I really don't know much about the QBs that will go in the middle to late rounds in this draft, so I don't know who would be a good candidate as a #3 QB and to develop.
Demi
Commissioner

Post by Demi »

Yes we should. Somewhere. Anywhere!
mondry
Hall of Famer

Post by mondry »

Demi wrote:Yes we should. Somewhere. Anywhere!
hahaha, I was waiting for your post, I knew you would like this thread! :)
Demi
Commissioner

Post by Demi »

mondry wrote: hahaha, I was waiting for your post, I knew you would like this thread! :)
I said before Dysert, Jones, someone in the mid rounds. Hopefully not a midget this time. At least bring in some real competition for that 3rd spot.
hibbingviking
Hall of Famer

Post by hibbingviking »

Demi wrote: I said before Dysert, Jones, someone in the mid rounds. Hopefully not a midget this time. At least bring in some real competition for that 3rd spot.
draft a qb that has a strong arm for once.
S197
Fenrir

Post by S197 »

We absolutely should draft a QB. We have more picks than roster spots, lets get some competition going for that 3rd spot. My biggest gripe with Spielman is how long he neglected the QB position. Whether or not that was his call (pre-GM role) we'll never know but he has the chance to fix that this year. Granted, Cassel makes this less of an issue but with the number of picks we have, we can afford a flier on someone. I mentioned it before, but I'll say it again, the Redskins gave away the farm for RG3 and STILL drafted another QB. We went with old man Favre and no contingency plan except for Webb (who was drafted to be a WR). That led to dirtball McNabb, his subsequent benching, and Ponder being put in, IMO, before he was ready. That's a scenario cannot be repeated.
mondry
Hall of Famer

Post by mondry »

S197 wrote:We absolutely should draft a QB. We have more picks than roster spots, lets get some competition going for that 3rd spot. My biggest gripe with Spielman is how long he neglected the QB position. Whether or not that was his call (pre-GM role) we'll never know but he has the chance to fix that this year. Granted, Cassel makes this less of an issue but with the number of picks we have, we can afford a flier on someone. I mentioned it before, but I'll say it again, the Redskins gave away the farm for RG3 and STILL drafted another QB. We went with old man Favre and no contingency plan except for Webb (who was drafted to be a WR). That led to dirtball McNabb, his subsequent benching, and Ponder being put in, IMO, before he was ready. That's a scenario cannot be repeated.
Good point about the Redskins, if the BPA ever happens to be a QB, I hope they pull the trigger on him. It really is kind of a no brainer, if the guy pans out and becomes better than your current starter hurray the team upgrades at QB. If your current starter turns out to be awesome and the new QB does well you can usually trade him to some other QB needy team for a much better pick then you spent. Even if the guy ends up being like Kevin Kolb as long as you can get him to look decent for a game or two there is always a team desperate enough to want um.
Laserman
Hall of Famer

Post by Laserman »

Demi wrote:Yes we should. Somewhere. Anywhere!
Agreed. I doubt anybody is higher than 50% sold on Ponder
dkoby
All Pro Elite Player

Post by dkoby »

Glennon in the 4th
The Marines I have seen around the world have the cleanest bodies, the filthiest minds,the highest morale, and the lowest morals of any group of animals I have ever seen. Thank God for the United States Marine Corps.
Elenore Roosevelt. 1945