State of the NFC North

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

Skoltastic_Voyage
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Re: State of the NFC North

Post by Skoltastic_Voyage »

Lions are going to be the biggest movers winning more games IMO.

Bears going to be in the basement. Cutler is worthless trash.

Pack could be on top or near the top but that's still only going to be at most 9-7 with this brutal schedule. I hope they crash and burn this year, end up tied with the bears for last place.

Vikes finish up close to 8-8 give or take a game. This schedual is brutal for all North teams. I think we got dumped on with the early bye, London and @Seachikens @Giants @Cowboys but end up with some favorable home games which may be crucial.

Can we win the North? Ya sure, so can't the Lions,bears or cheesers (soo much holding). If the packers stumble late, and the lions aren't as dangerous as I'm worrying about, we should be able to claim the title (assuming another magic draft)...

So lets hope the refs cut out some of that awful favoritism for the bears and packers and AD has another monster year and we walk away with it.
My guide to being a Vikings fan:
Step 1.) Drink beer.
Step 2.) See step 1.
Raptorman
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by Raptorman »

RandallioCobb18 wrote: Well, I probably shouldn't have went to that, I read your initial post as a bit more spiteful then I think it was, ha dont know why I was that touchy so for that, my bad.

But, lucky to get in the playoffs?? HAHA ok bruh, you guys made it because AD had an amazing year, you think he's going to be able to do that again? Don't count on it, and also your always going to be at sever disadvantage with Ponder unless he gets ALOT better in the next couple years, if he's in Minny that long. At best that dude is a game manager. As long as we have Aaron, were probably going to be a playoff team, look at manning and the Colts/Broncos. If any one is going to be fighting for a wildcard its probably going to be the Vikings/Bears, maybe lions but idk about that. The Vikes are free to try and prove me wrong though.
See this is what I don't get about Packer fans. Sure AD had an amazing year. Ponder not so much. But think of it this was, if AD takes a step back and Ponder becomes even an average QB the Vikings should be in good shape. After all, everything I hear is how much Ponder sucked last year. If he is just average, that would be a huge jump then wouldn't it? And since the Vikings finished one game behind the Packers, who have the greatest QB in the league right now, well anything is possible. Funny thing about that Greatest QB thing, Packers only finished one game above a team with what many consider one of the worst QB in the league last year. Wonder if that says more about the Vikings as a team, or the Packers as a team.
Vikings fan since Nov. 6, 1966. Annoying Packer fans since Nov. 7, 1966
RandallioCobb18
Starter

Post by RandallioCobb18 »

Mothman wrote: GB had no answer for the Cardinals offense in the 2009 postseason either and no answer for the Giants offense in the 2011 playoffs. In their last 3 postseason losses, the Packers have allowed an average of about 44 points per game. Their defense came through for them in 2010 and they won it all but it's clear they have a problem.
I doubt anybody here is worried about who the Packers play in the postseason... unless it's the Vikings. :)

Your definitely right that they need to improve if The Pack want another SB run. This is something I have alot of faith In Capers to do, as he has taken an awful defense, and turned them into a top D within years multiple times in his career, including with the packers. (And in the case of 2011-2012, an awful Defense to an alright one.)

Woot woot! I hear that! I absolutely LOVE meeting Divisional rivals in the Playoffs, I dont know if you guys can comprehend how insanely satisfyingl knocking those pretenders in Chicago out of the NFCCG a couple years back, bliss. :rock:
hibbingviking
Hall of Famer

Post by hibbingviking »

Vikings really need to move up and get tavon Austin or Patterson if they want to compete with the lions , packers, and bears offensively in this division. plus draft for need on the secondary to slow down Rodgers, cutler, and megatron.
RandallioCobb18
Starter

Skoltastic_Voyage wrote:Lions are going to be the biggest movers winning more games IMO.

Bears going to be in the basement. Cutler is worthless trash.

Pack could be on top or near the top but that's still only going to be at most 9-7 with this brutal schedule. I hope they crash and burn this year, end up tied with the bears for last place.

Vikes finish up close to 8-8 give or take a game. This schedual is brutal for all North teams. I think we got dumped on with the early bye, London and @Seachikens @Giants @Cowboys but end up with some favorable home games which may be crucial.

Can we win the North? Ya sure, so can't the Lions,bears or cheesers (soo much holding). If the packers stumble late, and the lions aren't as dangerous as I'm worrying about, we should be able to claim the title (assuming another magic draft)...

So lets hope the refs cut out some of that awful favoritism for the bears and packers and AD has another monster year and we walk away with it.
Lol, yea Packer favoritism! They must love us so much they allowed the Fail Mary to happen right? Lol, woe is you woe is you... The Vikes never got screwed like that in their entire history, so please, just get over it, Packers don't benefit then any more calls then the Vikings. (I know I know....#### storm approaching.)

Yea, 9-7 ok buddy, you wish, if everything goes wrong like in 2010 we might go 10-6, but whether you like it or not, All world QBs like Aaron, Tom, Peyton, simply dont lose that many games very often. Im not saying your team cant contend, im just saying your going to need better then a 9-7 to win this division.
PurpleJarl
Starter

Post by PurpleJarl »

So on the Packers, what the plan on defense for them? Did they pick up any FA or are they planning on starting 2 or more draft picks on D this year? Not saying thats bad or good, just curious.
RandallioCobb18
Starter

PurpleJarl wrote:So on the Packers, what the plan on defense for them? Did they pick up any FA or are they planning on starting 2 or more draft picks on D this year? Not saying thats bad or good, just curious.
Ha, they will probably pick up some nobody for vet minimum before the season begins, they probably will start a draft pick it two but besides the line (which is admittedly, terrible.) we dont have to many needs on defense, besides maybe free safety. Alot of our young guys got a lot better as the season went on, Casey Hayward was a gem, and management seems to think they hit am absolute home run on him, we will see if he comes down a little bit after an extremely impressive rookie season. Im more excited about the guts were getting back honestly, DJ Smith is probably going to take AJ Hawk's place sooner rather then later, Davon house was also showing alot of man on man potential, before and after his shoulder injury, glad hell be healthy, the biggest think is Nick Perry, if he builds on the flashes he had last season prior to his injury, and people cant just key in on Clay that alone would bring us to a whole nother level.
saint33
All Pro Elite Player

Post by saint33 »

RandallioCobb18 wrote: Lol, yea Packer favoritism! They must love us so much they allowed the Fail Mary to happen right? Lol, woe is you woe is you... The Vikes never got screwed like that in their entire history

You are clearly not very knowledgeable in your Vikings history, are you? I'll just leave it at that, as I find your statement about one bad call against the Pack canceling out the years of favorable calls preposterous.
HardcoreVikesFan
Hall of Famer

Post by HardcoreVikesFan »

RandallioCobb18 wrote:
Lol, yea Packer favoritism! They must love us so much they allowed the Fail Mary to happen right? Lol, woe is you woe is you... The Vikes never got screwed like that in their entire history, so please, just get over it.

LMFAO.

You know how the term "hail-mary" came into prominence? 1975, Divisional playoffs, Dallas vs. Minnesota. Staubach (or was it White) to Drew Pearson. Pearson score, game over. My point? Watch the replay. Pearson pushed off on (Carl Lee?) our cornerback. It should not have been a touchdown. It should have been offensive pass interference.

I watched the 'fail-mary,' and yes, Green Bay got screwed. However, your's, albeit a totally irresponsible call, came in the regular season. Pearson's push off cost Minnesota the game and the chance to advance to the Super Bowl.
A Randy Moss fan for life. A Kevin Williams fan for life.
RandallioCobb18
Starter

HardcoreVikesFan wrote:
LMFAO.

You know how the term "hail-mary" came into prominence? 1975, Divisional playoffs, Dallas vs. Minnesota. Staubach (or was it White) to Drew Pearson. Pearson score, game over. My point? Watch the replay. Pearson pushed off on (Carl Lee?) our cornerback. It should not have been a touchdown. It should have been offensive pass interference.

If you want to talk about pushoffs, Ithen go back an watch the 2009 wild card game, Fitzgerald pushed off about 7 different times with no call, not to mention every time the Packers faced the Cowboys in the 90's Micheal Irving....no need to explain.
people seem to forget the made up roughing the passer to nullify the Packers game winning pick, not to mention Tate pushed off as well, the whole thing was just messed up, although im not of a mind that if that call was different our season would have gone any different, honestly the Niners would have tore us up at home as well. :?

I watched the 'fail-mary,' and yes, Green Bay got screwed. However, your's, albeit a totally irresponsible call, came in the regular season. Pearson's push off cost Minnesota the game and the chance to advance to the Super Bowl.
NextQuestion
Career Elite Player

Post by NextQuestion »

Read option might be a gimmick but Kaepernick can still sling it as good as anyone. Kid has an arm.

The only win I was impressed with in GB's 2010 SB run was ATL. Ryan was on fire and you guys destroyed them. but playing turnover machines like Cutler and Vick don't really impress me. Good defense that year but man...2011 and 2012 were rough for GB.
Pull yr 84 jerseys out.
dead_poet
Commissioner

Post by dead_poet »

Lawrence Jackson - DL - Lions

The Vikings are keeping in touch with free agent DE Lawrence Jackson after his Thursday workout.

It's believed Minnesota hasn't extended a formal offer, but one could be coming soon. While the Vikings have an excellent starting front four, their best four to five defensive linemen are all entering the final year of their contracts.
Source: ESPN 1500 Twin Cities
“Some people think football is a matter of life and death. I assure you, it's much more serious than that.” --- Bill Shankly
indianation65
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by indianation65 »

What's the state of the NFC North? It appears to be 2 touchdowns behind SF and Seattle. Throw the ball down field...after AP scares the defense to death!

...wisdom
...spirits in the wind and the trees
RandallioCobb18
Starter

saint33 wrote:
You are clearly not very knowledgeable in your Vikings history, are you? I'll just leave it at that, as I find your statement about one bad call against the Pack canceling out the years of favorable calls preposterous.
The difference between our points is the call I have a problem with was an indisputable screw over, in which the league has actually admitted too.

Your point, is a bunch of bullcrap with no evidence to back it up whatsoever, I could complain about a ton of calls over the years too, but I don't, because I realize that it is entirely a subjective matter and to suggest otherwise would be baseless and serve no purpose.
Vike Fan 4 Life
Starter

Post by Vike Fan 4 Life »

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/20 ... ight-game/

well here's an instance where the NFL did apologize, but I'm sure no one has brought this one up yet because it wasn't nearly as bad as some of the examples listed. Just because the NFL admits a mistake doesn't make it any worse than game altering blown calls that weren't acknowledged.