State of the NFC North

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

NextQuestion
Career Elite Player

Re: State of the NFC North

Post by NextQuestion »

Make for a more interesting match up than Big Ben vs Rodgers. GB needs to get over that SF and NYG hump. GB is an incredibly soft team with a horrific defense. Does Dom Capers' haircut make him not make in game adjustments? :P

Packers, much like the Patriots, are going to be playoff contenders as long as they got their big money QB. Patriots without Brady? Yikes. Packers without Rodgers? My word...Harrell?
Pull yr 84 jerseys out.
Funkytown
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by Funkytown »

RandallioCobb18 wrote:
Ha, oh man, I hate Tebow.

I like Peyton with the Broncos, how cool would An Aaron Rodgers vs Peyton Manning SB be?! :rock: :rock:

I have a feeling you guys may not agree...
Very cool, as long as the Broncos win--more importantly (because it sounds better) that the Packers lose. :thumbsup:
HardcoreVikesFan
Hall of Famer

Post by HardcoreVikesFan »

It is Green Bay's division to lose. Minnesota has a good shot at being the 2nd team in the North again, but I don't see us winning the division. I am not on board the annual Chicago hype train either. Chicago will crash and burn like usual due to another poor draft.
A Randy Moss fan for life. A Kevin Williams fan for life.
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

I think the division is completely up for grabs. I see GB as the favorite and Detroit as the least likely to succeed but I think any of the 4 teams in have the talent to win it if things come together for them and they stay healthy.

The draft could be a key for all 4 teams because they all have holes and areas that really need to be addressed. GB needs to improve their defense and running game. I don't follow the Lions as closely as the other teams but it seems to me that they need to do likewise, particular the back end of their defense. Reggie Bush should help their offense get even more explosive. That's a team with talent but insufficient discipline.

The Bears improved at left tackle and TE, probably took a step back at LB and have a new coaching staff. Overall, it's tough to tell if they're on the upswing or the downswing but they're clearly in transition. If they have a good draft and improve their o-line enough, they could be formidable on offense. The new coaching staff is a big X factor.

The Vikes? They have a tough schedule and a zillion question marks so I have no idea if they'll take a step forward, win 11+ games and advance in the playoffs or if they'll take a step back. They had a remarkable 7 win improvement last year and that could prove a tough act to follow. They need a great draft and some good fortune to keep advancing.
RandallioCobb18
Starter

Post by RandallioCobb18 »

NextQuestion wrote:Make for a more interesting match up than Big Ben vs Rodgers. GB needs to get over that SF and NYG hump. GB is an incredibly soft team with a horrific defense. Does Dom Capers' haircut make him not make in game adjustments? :P

Packers, much like the Patriots, are going to be playoff contenders as long as they got their big money QB. Patriots without Brady? Yikes. Packers without Rodgers? My word...Harrell?
If we're so soft, then what does that make you? Not soft? We've beat you guys 6 out of the last 7 games, we also beat a pretty damn hard hitting, tough, Steelers team in the Super Bowl. Granted, that was in 2010 but I think it shows we are entirely capable of besting ANYBODY in the league when we are on our game, not that it always works out like that, we defiantly need to get tougher up front but that's what the draft is for .

Capers is decent, albeit a bit stubborn, 2009-2010 we had a top defense, 2011 was our only real bad year, as last year we were 11th ranked scoring d in the league. We had no answer for Kapernick and the read option, I expect that to change.
You should probably focus getting over the hump against us, before worrying about who we see in the playoffs.
headless_norseman
All Pro Elite Player

Post by headless_norseman »

RandallioCobb18 wrote:
So in your mind, signing big names is the way to win in the NFL? Hasn't that been proven to be wrong time after time?
Jared Allen.
A successful coach needs a patient wife, loyal dog, and great quarterback - and not necessarily in that order.

-- Bud Grant
RandallioCobb18
Starter

Post by RandallioCobb18 »

headless_norseman wrote: Jared Allen.
I never said free agent pick ups never worked out, I was saying that the teams that frequently pay for free agents rather then build there team through the draft dont win Championships, period.
Eli
Hall of Famer

Post by Eli »

headless_norseman wrote: Jared Allen.
Jared Allen w/Minnesota Vikings:

Code: Select all

2008  10-6  NFC North 1st  0-1 playoffs
2009  12-4  NFC North 1st  1-1 playoffs
2010  6-10  NFC North 4th  -
2011  3-13  NFC North 4th  -
2012  10-6  NFC North 2nd  0-1 playoffs

Total W/L: 42-42
Interesting.
headless_norseman
All Pro Elite Player

Post by headless_norseman »

It's a very interesting discussion all by itself, and I may have misread him, but that's why I popped of with Jared's name. He has been a warrior for the Vikes. And we are going to need him more than ever this season.
A successful coach needs a patient wife, loyal dog, and great quarterback - and not necessarily in that order.

-- Bud Grant
mondry
Hall of Famer

Post by mondry »

Jared Allen was NOT a free agent signing.
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

RandallioCobb18 wrote: If we're so soft, then what does that make you? Not soft? We've beat you guys 6 out of the last 7 games, we also beat a pretty damn hard hitting, tough, Steelers team in the Super Bowl. Granted, that was in 2010 but I think it shows we are entirely capable of besting ANYBODY in the league when we are on our game, not that it always works out like that, we defiantly need to get tougher up front but that's what the draft is for .

Capers is decent, albeit a bit stubborn, 2009-2010 we had a top defense, 2011 was our only real bad year, as last year we were 11th ranked scoring d in the league. We had no answer for Kapernick and the read option, I expect that to change.
GB had no answer for the Cardinals offense in the 2009 postseason either and no answer for the Giants offense in the 2011 playoffs. In their last 3 postseason losses, the Packers have allowed an average of about 44 points per game. Their defense came through for them in 2010 and they won it all but it's clear they have a problem.
You should probably focus getting over the hump against us, before worrying about who we see in the playoffs.
I doubt anybody here is worried about who the Packers play in the postseason... unless it's the Vikings. :)
Last edited by Mothman on Sun Apr 21, 2013 9:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
Funkytown
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by Funkytown »

GB had no answer for the Cardinals offense in the 2009 postseason either and no answer for the Giants offense in the 2011 playoffs. In their last 3 postseason losses, the Packers have allowed an average of about 44 points per game. Their defense came through for them in 2009 and they won it all but it's clear they have a problen.
Read that again and tell me what's wrong with it. ;)

Anyways, you're right. No one cares much about the Packers. Isn't this a Vikings fan message board? Do Vikings fans go on other boards? Weird. :) We have enough doubters within our own fanbase. They serve as good opposing fans in a way. lol.

We just have to take care of our own. Not worried about anything or anyone else.
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

MelanieMFunk wrote: Read that again and tell me what's wrong with it. ;)
Oops!

LOL! Thanks for catching that, Melanie. I really shouldn't attempt tasks as complex as thinking and typing first thing in the morning. ;)
Funkytown
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by Funkytown »

Mothman wrote: Oops!

LOL! Thanks for catching that, Melanie. I really shouldn't attempt tasks as complex as thinking and typing first thing in the morning. ;)
Ha. Here in an hour I'll be up for 24 hours. (I work overnights). I'm surprised I'm even functioning let alone catching mistakes. :) You gotta be on your game vs. Packers fans. Come on now!
Funkytown
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by Funkytown »

We better watch out for the Bears. T.O. wants to play for them. lol.
"I played my first early years in San Francisco with [Bears head coach Marc Trestman] and shortly after that, he left to do some things," Owens said. "I haven't talked to Marc in a long while. I know he's gone on and done some things, now he's back in the NFL. So, I never really thought about it until myself and Napoleon [Harris] :twisted: were talking about it earlier, but I would definitely welcome it if they would give it some serious consideration. To think about [Bears wide receiver Brandon Marshall] on the other side and me on one side, that's really dangerous. I'm keeping myself in shape just for any opportunity that may come about."
I like Owens, but he just needs to let. it. go.