State of the NFC North

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

PurpleJarl
Starter

State of the NFC North

Post by PurpleJarl »

Since we play in our division 6 times a year as well as frequently play a rival in the playoff it seems, it isn't a stretch to say that a lot of our success will hing, year to year on how well other NFC north teams prepare for the season. I thought it would be useful to have a thread devoted to what gaps the Lions, Packers, and Bears have and how our Vikings will stack up in response. Overall I feel like the Packers and the Bears haven't gotten any stronger as of yet through the off season. Feel free to add any insight and developments you spot that seem to bode well, or ill for the Vikings!

The Lions seem to have shored up a bit, especially by getting Reggie Bush. I remember almost watching him set the punt return record against the vikings a few years ago and I could see him being the difference in both games this year.

The Bears obviously have a big hole at middle linebacker now and I think their defense will be a lot less stout than in previous years, with a new coach and his tweaks to the system coupled with losing their "QB" on defense. Even if they end up with Ogletree I see AP having a couple of field days this year against them.

The packers still have the trouble on the offensive line and while losing GJ doesn't hurt them much at all, it certainly doesn't help them. I don't think the Vikings will be as good as the Packers this year but we are definitely closing the gap from just a couple of years ago.

Overall I think we are looking like a solid number two in the division but this is the first I can remember in a while that I wouldn't be surprised if everyone split.
RandallioCobb18
Starter

Re: State of the NFC North

Post by RandallioCobb18 »

PurpleJarl wrote:Since we play in our division 6 times a year as well as frequently play a rival in the playoff it seems, it isn't a stretch to say that a lot of our success will hing, year to year on how well other NFC north teams prepare for the season. I thought it would be useful to have a thread devoted to what gaps the Lions, Packers, and Bears have and how our Vikings will stack up in response. Overall I feel like the Packers and the Bears haven't gotten any stronger as of yet through the off season. Feel free to add any insight and developments you spot that seem to bode well, or ill for the Vikings!

The Lions seem to have shored up a bit, especially by getting Reggie Bush. I remember almost watching him set the punt return record against the vikings a few years ago and I could see him being the difference in both games this year.

The Bears obviously have a big whole at middle linebacker now and I think their defense will be a lot less stout than in previous years, with a new coach and his tweaks to the system coupled with losing their "QB" on defense. Even if they end up with Ogletree I see AP having a couple of field days this year against them.

The packers still have the trouble on the offensive line and while losing GJ doesn't hurt them much at all, it certainly doesn't help them. I don't think the Vikings will be as good as the Packers this year but we are definitely closing the gap from just a couple of years ago.

Overall I think we are looking like a solid number two in the division but this is the first I can remember in a while that I wouldn't be surprised if everyone split.
So in your mind, signing big names is the way to win in the NFL? Hasn't that been proven to be wrong time after time? The Packers are in contention ever year and we NEVER sign to many free agents so, quite obviously, we are not going to 'gotten any better' until after the draft, our D is going to come together quite well next year, bank on it. :D Although I do feel the Vikings are getting better, and fast.

As for the Bears though, man, they really have had #### cap management for some years now, they are way too old to win in this league as it is.
PurpleJarl
Starter

Post by PurpleJarl »

RandallioCobb18 wrote: So in your mind, signing big names is the way to win in the NFL? Hasn't that been proven to be wrong time after time? The Packers are in contention ever year and we NEVER sign to many free agents so, quite obviously, we are not going to 'gotten any better' until after the draft, our D is going to come together quite well next year, bank on it. :D

As for the Bears though, man, they really have had #### cap management for some years now, they are way too old to win in this league as it is.

Um, not at all. I don't even know what you are getting at actually lol. I mentioned reggie bush because he has a history of shredding the Vikings and greg jennings because he was an honest improvement name or no name. Then I proceeded to list the positions that haven't been filed as of yet by any FA of any quality by the Packers and the Bears. The Packers Oline is a perennially issue... so yeah, you kinda lost me there.
RandallioCobb18
Starter

PurpleJarl wrote:
Um, not at all. I don't even know what you are getting at actually lol. I mentioned reggie bush because he has a history of shredding the Vikings and greg jennings because he was an honest improvement name or no name. Then I proceeded to list the positions that haven't been filed as of yet by any FA of any quality by the Packers and the Bears. The Packers Oline is a perennially issue... so yeah, you kinda lost me there.
I certainly apologize if I mis understood you a bit, but perhaps I should have worded my point a little bit better.

All I meant to say was that while you say, "The packers haven't got any better." and all I mean to say is, it isnt very typical for them to have improved this early in the season,so saying they haven't improved doesn't really mean anything because it's simply not their way.
Purple bruise
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by Purple bruise »

RandallioCobb18 wrote: So in your mind, signing big names is the way to win in the NFL? Hasn't that been proven to be wrong time after time? The Packers are in contention ever year and we NEVER sign to many free agents so, quite obviously, we are not going to 'gotten any better' until after the draft, our D is going to come together quite well next year, bank on it. :D

As far as not signing any/many "big name " players, what about Reggie White, Charles Woodson, Jeff Saturday, just off of the top of my head :? And now how about your team's record over the last two years going from 15-1 to 11-5 just barely edging the Vikings out of the Title picture? You lost Jennings, Woodson and your Pro Bowl center (Friday). Your o-line is average at best and your defense is a joke. So I am not quite agreeing with your assesment. :confused:
Do not mistake KINDNESS for WEAKNESS!

Best to keep your mouth shut and be thought a fool rather than open it and remove all doubt.
PurpleJarl
Starter

Post by PurpleJarl »

Absolutely teams will still improve before the start of the season and yes I am well aware the your GM love to build through the draft. My point was simply, as of right now I think the Vikings have gained a little ground on the Packers we shall see if that still seems to be after the draft :wink: but I have faith in Spielmen. To be honest I am jealous of the Packers set up and am glad we finally have a Front office that seems to emulate the build. However, its not so much the defense of the Packers that I look at but the issues on the Oline. Your D is going to be back seated to your offense as usual imo.

And yeah, the bears are in trouble for the foreseeable future with the cap issues. As well as the age. I kinda think that the Ravens did what they did this off season to avoid becoming like the bears.
PurpleJarl
Starter

Post by PurpleJarl »

But to keep it on target and to sum up, Bears D is going to be weaker than its been in years imo and the Packers need to focus on everything BUT offense this year in the draft and we MIGHT see a hiccup in their offense, one can hope. AP should shred the Bears.
RandallioCobb18
Starter

Purple bruise wrote: As far as not signing any/many "big name " players, what about Reggie White, Charles Woodson, Jeff Saturday, just off of the top of my head :? And now how about your team's record over the last two years going from 15-1 to 11-5 just barely edging the Vikings out of the Title picture? You lost Jennings, Woodson and your Pro Bowl center (Friday). Your o-line is average at best and your defense is a joke. So I am not quite agreeing with your assesment. :confused:
Our 11th ranked scoring defense is joke? Yea, ok buddy.
, Reggie White was a rare occurance because teams were just learning how free agency worked. Charles was instrumental in our success, but if you remember nobody else wanted him, and he didn't want the Packers to begin with anyways, and Jeff Saturday? The dude that got supplanted in the middle of the season? And are you really ripping on the Packers for being 11-5? That's I pretty good record in my opinion, once your in the playoff anything fan happen.
Last edited by RandallioCobb18 on Sat Apr 20, 2013 4:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Purple bruise
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by Purple bruise »

No clue huh :?: 11-5 is an ok record but how about going from one loss to 5 times as many losses in one year? Or the Vikings having improved their record from 3-13 to 10-6 and the play-offs (which is more impressive) :)
The Pack will be lucky to make the play-offs this year 8)

Best to keep your mouth shut and be thought a fool rather than open it and remove all doubt.
RandallioCobb18
Starter

Purple bruise wrote:No clue huh :?: 11-5 is an ok record but how about going from one loss to 5 times as many losses in one year? Or the Vikings having improved their record from 3-13 to 10-6 and the play-offs (which is more impressive) :)
The Pack will be lucky to make the play-offs this year 8)
Well, I probably shouldn't have went to that, I read your initial post as a bit more spiteful then I think it was, ha dont know why I was that touchy so for that, my bad.

But, lucky to get in the playoffs?? HAHA ok bruh, you guys made it because AD had an amazing year, you think he's going to be able to do that again? Don't count on it, and also your always going to be at sever disadvantage with Ponder unless he gets ALOT better in the next couple years, if he's in Minny that long. At best that dude is a game manager. As long as we have Aaron, were probably going to be a playoff team, look at manning and the Colts/Broncos. If any one is going to be fighting for a wildcard its probably going to be the Vikings/Bears, maybe lions but idk about that. The Vikes are free to try and prove me wrong though.
Purple bruise
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by Purple bruise »

RandallioCobb18 wrote: Well, I probably shouldn't have went to that, I read your initial post as a bit more spiteful then I think it was, ha dont know why I was that touchy so for that, my bad.

But, lucky to get in the playoffs?? HAHA ok bruh, you guys made it because AD had an amazing year, you think he's going to be able to do that again? Don't count on it, and also your always going to be at sever disadvantage with Ponder unless he gets ALOT better in the next couple years, if he's in Minny that long. At best that dude is a game manager. As long as we have Aaron, were probably going to be a playoff team, look at manning and the Colts/Broncos. If any one is going to be fighting for a wildcard its probably going to be the Vikings/Bears, maybe lions but idk about that. The Vikes are free to try and prove me wrong though.
You are spot on about "if" the Vikings lose AD but take it a step further...if the Pack lost AR they would struggle to beat anybody.

RandallioCobb18
Starter

Purple bruise wrote: You are spot on about "if" the Vikings lose AD but take it a step further...if the Pack lost AR they would struggle to beat anybody.
Your right but you could say the same about almost every team with a franchise QB, how good would the Saints be without Brees? Or Denver with Manning, they'd all be screwed. Both the Pack and the Vikes have players they completely depend on, but so does every one else in the league, almost everyone at least.
PacificNorseWest
Career Elite Player

Post by PacificNorseWest »

Each of the teams in the North possess something that make them dangerous or a possible contender.

The Bears overall seem to be on the decline, but I'll never underestimate how well they look offensively when Cutler is on his game. Him and Marshall are a pain.

Lions are as explosive as anyone and their defense has some potential their too. Any given sunday, right? Especially given their last place schedule. Wouldn't at all be surprised if they made a run to the playoffs again this year.

Packers: Aaron Rodgers. Nuff said.

Vikings: So long as we're looking at this objectively I'll just leave it with two letters...AP. I like where this team is headed (and obviously the draft is huge for the direction of this teams future) and there's still a ? mark next to Ponder, but so long as AP his in a Vikings uniform, then you have to like their chances to stay close and win a game.
Funkytown
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by Funkytown »

RandallioCobb18 wrote:
Your right but you could say the same about almost every team with a franchise QB, how good would the Saints be without Brees? Or Denver with Manning, they'd all be screwed. Both the Pack and the Vikes have players they completely depend on, but so does every one else in the league, almost everyone at least.
If Denver was good with Tebow...I think they could still be alright without Manning. This is Denver we are talking about--not the Colts. :)
RandallioCobb18
Starter

MelanieMFunk wrote: If Denver was good with Tebow...I think they could still be alright without Manning. This is Denver we are talking about--not the Colts. :)
Ha, oh man, I hate Tebow.

I like Peyton with the Broncos, how cool would An Aaron Rodgers vs Peyton Manning SB be?! :rock: :rock:

I have a feeling you guys may not agree...