WRs to watch

Talk about the latest College games and players and discuss the NFL Draft here. Get reports on players, prospects, Draft Links, the latest Mock Drafts and other indepth analysis, plus the latest on the NCAA College games.

Moderator: Moderators

Funkytown
Hall of Fame Inductee

Re: WRs to watch

Post by Funkytown »

CaptainKirov wrote:Terrance Williams, WR, Baylor. 6-1 7/8 208 lbs

Strengths: Gliding athlete with smooth acceleration and long-striding speed. Good body control and balance for his size with smooth transitions and movements. Tracks the ball well downfield and can gain a step with an extra gear to be a legitimate vertical threat. Good focus and reach. Not a burner but catches the ball in stride and has the flexibility to make tough catches.
Strong plant foot in his routes to gain inside position and immediately looks upfield after the catch. Works back to the pocket and has good field awareness, finding open zones and showing the quarterback his numbers. Good effort blocking on the outside and can drive defenders out of the play. Shows some leadership qualities on the field and the sideline.

Weaknesses: Average route runner and needs continued improvement after a limited route tree at Baylor. Stiff ankles and has more build-up speed, lacking quick-twitch start/stop explosion. Didn't see a lot of press coverage in college and at times was able to just run past defensive backs untouched.

Needs to eliminate the mental errors and stay focused with his share of drops. Questionable toughness and doesn't always fight for every yard with a disappointing effort after interceptions, needing to show better effort for all four quarters. A tad too finesse at times and won't break a lot of tackles. Known to chirp at times about not getting the ball, will he be a distraction?

Courtesy of CBSsports
Do you not like this guy at all or just not in the first few rounds? He's Mayock's #53 overall prospect and I believe the 7th WR. He must not be too horrible.
CaptainKirov
Starter

Post by CaptainKirov »

MelanieMFunk wrote: Do you not like this guy at all or just not in the first few rounds? He's Mayock's #53 overall prospect and I believe the 7th WR. He must not be too horrible.
IF he fell to their first pick in the 4th id be fine with it. I just dont have a good feeling about the kid and feel like there are much better WRs than him to take.
In victory,magnanimity; In defeat, defiance! - Fredrick The Great

Rus
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by Rus »

I still think Markus Wheaton is a great sleeper pick in the third, I would even take him in the second. He's got solid size, great speed (well, quickness and an extra gear at least, solid speed overall), and runs good routes. He's also a good kid in a draft full of guys with character issues. I'm biased because I've seen him play a lot more than other wide receivers, but I watched that kid catch some terrible passes plenty of times and turn them into points.

Robert Woods would be a very good pick for the Vikes in the second. He's pretty much exactly what the Vikings need in their corps.

Keenan Allen is probably the only guy out of the top 5 WRs in this draft that I'd be okay with the Vikings picking in the first (well, Patterson of course, but he's probably gone before the 20th...if the Vikings land him, it's a coup). Again, a very good fit for the Vikings provided his injury isn't going to be a problem down the road.

Austin is definitely a fast guy, but I'm actually higher on Jarius Wright than Austin. Wright can take a few hits before he goes down and has an inch and a half over Austin. Austin also has "small hands". :)

I feel like Quinton Patton is a little overrated. I like receivers that are sure-handed and run clean routes. There's a lot of great stuff about him, but I'm not totally sold about those two things and the Vikings really just need a guy who can just catch and hold onto the ball. I feel like he's a lot like Jerome Simpson, but slower and a better downfield blocker.

There's no way you can't like Justin Hunter's size + speed. I think he's a lot like Sidney Rice. Which means, I'm worried about his injury history somewhat.

I really wouldn't mind seeing the Vikings take Aaron Dobson, and if they get him in the fourth that would be pretty sweet.

After that...well, the Vikings need quality over quantity in the draft. They have quantity already, plenty of guys to warm bench spots but not too much more. I'm sure there are guys that are diamonds that will go 5th round and out, but there are guys like that every year. Depth is needed elsewhere.
-Rus
saint33
All Pro Elite Player

Post by saint33 »

Rus wrote:I still think Markus Wheaton is a great sleeper pick in the third, I would even take him in the second. He's got solid size, great speed (well, quickness and an extra gear at least, solid speed overall), and runs good routes. He's also a good kid in a draft full of guys with character issues. I'm biased because I've seen him play a lot more than other wide receivers, but I watched that kid catch some terrible passes plenty of times and turn them into points.
And I thought I was alone on the Markus Wheaton bandwagon. Glad to have you along for the ride :rock:
hibbingviking
Hall of Famer

Post by hibbingviking »

swope :thumbsup:
losperros
Commissioner

Post by losperros »

saint33 wrote: And I thought I was alone on the Markus Wheaton bandwagon. Glad to have you along for the ride :rock:
You're far from alone about Wheaton. I would love to see the Vikings pick him.
CaptainKirov
Starter

Post by CaptainKirov »

I wonder if i am the only one here that would like Stedman Bailey in round 3 or 4....with some refinement from the man himself...the kid has a game very similar to Greg Jennings. Same build as well.
In victory,magnanimity; In defeat, defiance! - Fredrick The Great

big deli Vike
Backup

Post by big deli Vike »

i would like him. i remember being at WVU games and liking Bailey better as a pure WR than austin. i mean austin is crazy explosive but Bailey held his own on that team
Purple Rage
Franchise Player

Post by Purple Rage »

petev_sj wrote:Wow, everyone on this thread has their favorite receiver listed, I think maybe I should make a case for mine.

Terrance Williams from Baylor. Just researching him on youtube, I love seeing how discipline he is when the ball is in the air. A lot of young receivers have a tendency to stick out their hands when the ball is in the air. This signals to the pursuing CB or Safety where the ball is. This kid waits until the very last second to grab the ball. That is really hard for a DB to deal with. IMHO Terrance Williams is the best WR in this draft.
That is the exact reason I opened this thread? WTH happened to all the talk about Terrance Williams? Even in the mock drafts he disappeared completely in the first 2 rds. His tape speaks for itself, if we could steal him in the 3rd.....man!! And about fav wr in the draft, Im sticking with Keenan Allen. I think he is the most experienced and def has the best hands. As far as complete wr, Keenan is my pick. If the injury is the reason he has slipped, so be it. Would love Teo/Allen in the 1st.
REAL MEN WEAR PURPLE!
petev_sj
Veteran

Post by petev_sj »

PR video for Terrance Williams from nfl.com. Someone there believes he should be a top 10 draft pick.

http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-draft/0ap ... ams-Baylor

This video was uploaded 4/17/2013. Fairly recent.
Texas Vike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by Texas Vike »

petev_sj wrote:PR video for Terrance Williams from nfl.com. Someone there believes he should be a top 10 draft pick.

http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-draft/0ap ... ams-Baylor

This video was uploaded 4/17/2013. Fairly recent.

Yet another top 10er, eh?

I like the kid, but he won't go in the first round. I'd like him in the 2nd. It is surprising to me that he's been somewhat forgotten in the lead up to the draft.
mondry
Hall of Famer

Post by mondry »

Apparently there is some guy there who has a top 10 of players that aren't actually in any one's top 10!
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

mondry wrote:Apparently there is some guy there who has a top 10 of players that aren't actually in any one's top 10!
:rofl:
dead_poet
Commissioner

Post by dead_poet »

Good chance if we want everybody's favorite receiver we're going to have to move up to get him.

DeAndre Hopkins - WR - Player

Clemson WR DeAndre Hopkins will work out for the Rams for the second time in four days on Monday.

Per Scout.com's Aaron Wilson, coach Jeff Fisher will be in attendance. As observed by Rotoworld's Josh Norris, the Rams followed a similar pattern before using the No. 33 pick on WR Brian Quick last year. The question is whether Hopkins will still be on the board at No. 16. He's a possibility for the Panthers at No. 14.
Source: Scout.com
“Some people think football is a matter of life and death. I assure you, it's much more serious than that.” --- Bill Shankly
Texas Vike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by Texas Vike »

dead_poet wrote:Good chance if we want everybody's favorite receiver we're going to have to move up to get him.

DeAndre Hopkins - WR - Player

Clemson WR DeAndre Hopkins will work out for the Rams for the second time in four days on Monday.

Per Scout.com's Aaron Wilson, coach Jeff Fisher will be in attendance. As observed by Rotoworld's Josh Norris, the Rams followed a similar pattern before using the No. 33 pick on WR Brian Quick last year. The question is whether Hopkins will still be on the board at No. 16. He's a possibility for the Panthers at No. 14.
Source: Scout.com
Mayock thinks he will be there at 51.

Now we're hearing 14? We are officially in full on GMs manipulating the media mode. The Rams also have #22. Perhaps they are looking at Hopkins there.