WRs to watch

Talk about the latest College games and players and discuss the NFL Draft here. Get reports on players, prospects, Draft Links, the latest Mock Drafts and other indepth analysis, plus the latest on the NCAA College games.

Moderator: Moderators

mondry
Hall of Famer

Re: WRs to watch

Post by mondry »

dead_poet wrote:WR Allen's re-check was for ankle

The NFL Combine confirmed to ESPN's Adam Schefter that Cal WR Keenan Allen's recent medical re-check was related to a right ankle injury.

Schefter previously noted Allen posted an odd drug test when higher than normal water levels were found in his system. Allen has dealt with a PCL injury since November, but this ankle injury goes back to the Spring of 2012 when the receiver underwent surgery. There's a real chance the Cal product lasts until the middle part of the second day.
Man I hope we stay away from this guy, Demi is right taking him completely off the board would be smart. Guy isn't even taking hits yet and has multiple injuries popping up all over the place. Now his Surgically repaired ankle is flaring up?! Jeeze.
John_Viveiros
Career Elite Player

Post by John_Viveiros »

Against all conventional wisdom, I will point out that the top three WR's at Minnesota, while not the "three deep" we swooned over in the 1990's, are a fine group on paper (if we don't have injuries or suspensions). A healthy Jennings is a #1 guy for sure, Simpson should be a solid #2 (only full season starter stats are 50 catches for 725 yards and 4 TDs) and Wright is a seriously good #3 if he can keep up the per-game rate he had last year. Add to that a pretty reasonable receiving TE in Rudolph (maybe another in a rededicated Carlson) and you have the makings of a decent receiving corps.

But that's without injuries. And the top two guys have a history of injuries. To me, that's why we need to draft a WR. Of course, need isn't the only reason to draft a guy. If we get good value, I'd think we could draft a couple WR's. But I don't think we get good value at our #23 and #25 picks - #35 and #37 yes.

As a test, look up the stats for the average #2 or #3 receiver. I did last year (2011) - the median #2 guy (Lance Moore) had 627 yards. The median #3 guy (Ben Obamanu) had 436. A slightly above average set of wide receivers is something 1000/650/450. Do you think Jennings/Simpson/Wright would be a long way from that?
dead_poet
Commissioner

Post by dead_poet »

DeAndre Hopkins - WR - Player

ESPN's Adam Schefter reports the trashed Indianapolis hotel room at February's Combine belonged to Clemson WR DeAndre Hopkins and Rutgers WR Mark Harrison.

Yahoo Sports reported Monday that the trashed hotel room was littered with "urine and feces scattered about the bathroom, toothpaste on the mirror and garbage strewn about the room." Hopkins and Harrison have denied their involvement, and one GM told FOX Sports' Alex Marvez that Hopkins had left the room "several hours" before it was destroyed. While the incident was embarrassing to Combine organizers, we're not sure it'll affect Hopkins or Harrison's draft stock. Hopkins is a potential first-round pick. Harrison is a likely mid-rounder with 4.46 speed at a rocked-up 6-foot-3 and 231 pounds.
“Some people think football is a matter of life and death. I assure you, it's much more serious than that.” --- Bill Shankly
mondry
Hall of Famer

Post by mondry »

mrc44 wrote:Mayock said in his conference call that DeAndre Hopkins and Robert Woods will be there at 51, so that means one should be there at 52!!!

Defense first round and Hopkins second, BOOM!
Wow.... that's something, I didn't think Hopkins would make it out of the first round.
Eli
Hall of Famer

Post by Eli »

[Mark] Harrison is a likely mid-rounder with 4.46 speed at a rocked-up 6-foot-3 and 231 pounds.
"Rocked up"?? That might explain the hotel room.

PurpleKoolaid
Hall of Famer

Post by PurpleKoolaid »

dead_poet wrote:DeAndre Hopkins - WR - Player

ESPN's Adam Schefter reports the trashed Indianapolis hotel room at February's Combine belonged to Clemson WR DeAndre Hopkins and Rutgers WR Mark Harrison.

Yahoo Sports reported Monday that the trashed hotel room was littered with "urine and feces scattered about the bathroom, toothpaste on the mirror and garbage strewn about the room." Hopkins and Harrison have denied their involvement, and one GM told FOX Sports' Alex Marvez that Hopkins had left the room "several hours" before it was destroyed. While the incident was embarrassing to Combine organizers, we're not sure it'll affect Hopkins or Harrison's draft stock. Hopkins is a potential first-round pick. Harrison is a likely mid-rounder with 4.46 speed at a rocked-up 6-foot-3 and 231 pounds.
Blah, i heard about this, didnt know it was Hopkin's room. Very immature. Harrison was kinda my sleeper guy, but what in the world were they thinking?
Rus
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by Rus »

It sounds like the sources think it was all Hopkins's fault, but I can't see how Harrison didn't know what was going on if he was staying there. Maybe he wasn't, and just had his stuff there.

Yeah, I really hope trashing that hotel room was worth a million bucks to Hopkins, because that's about the least the guy will lose if he slides on draft day. What a knucklehead. Sounds like a future Raider.
-Rus
petev_sj
Veteran

Post by petev_sj »

Wow, everyone on this thread has their favorite receiver listed, I think maybe I should make a case for mine.

Terrance Williams from Baylor. Just researching him on youtube, I love seeing how discipline he is when the ball is in the air. A lot of young receivers have a tendency to stick out their hands when the ball is in the air. This signals to the pursuing CB or Safety where the ball is. This kid waits until the very last second to grab the ball. That is really hard for a DB to deal with. IMHO Terrance Williams is the best WR in this draft.
CaptainKirov
Starter

Post by CaptainKirov »

petev_sj wrote:Wow, everyone on this thread has their favorite receiver listed, I think maybe I should make a case for mine.

Terrance Williams from Baylor. Just researching him on youtube, I love seeing how discipline he is when the ball is in the air. A lot of young receivers have a tendency to stick out their hands when the ball is in the air. This signals to the pursuing CB or Safety where the ball is. This kid waits until the very last second to grab the ball. That is really hard for a DB to deal with. IMHO Terrance Williams is the best WR in this draft.
If the vikings draft him in the first three rounds ill puke. The kid has done nothing but slide since the draft process started. I see him as a Brian Hartline type #2 WR. Wont be putting a team on his back any time soon.
In victory,magnanimity; In defeat, defiance! - Fredrick The Great

petev_sj
Veteran

Post by petev_sj »

CaptainKirov wrote:If the vikings draft him in the first three rounds ill puke. The kid has done nothing but slide since the draft process started. I see him as a Brian Hartline type #2 WR. Wont be putting a team on his back any time soon.
That doesn't seem to match his 2012 performance. After RGIII and Kendall Wright left Baylor last year for the draft. People thought Baylor was done. All Terrance Williams did was to have 97 reception, 1832 yrds, 12 TD. Baylor need him to step up and put the team on his back, that's what he did.
losperros
Commissioner

Post by losperros »

petev_sj wrote:Wow, everyone on this thread has their favorite receiver listed, I think maybe I should make a case for mine.

There you go! Finally, another person that appreciates Terrance Williams, who is definitely one of the few WRs on my wish pick list to end up in purple. I've never been anything but impressed with Williams every time I've seen him play. The guy is a big time play-maker.
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

losperros wrote:There you go! Finally, another person that appreciates Terrance Williams, who is definitely one of the few WRs on my wish pick list to end up in purple. I've never been anything but impressed with Williams every time I've seen him play. The guy is a big time play-maker.
Terrance who?

;)
Texas Vike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by Texas Vike »

petev_sj wrote: That doesn't seem to match his 2012 performance. After RGIII and Kendall Wright left Baylor last year for the draft. People thought Baylor was done. All Terrance Williams did was to have 97 reception, 1832 yrds, 12 TD. Baylor need him to step up and put the team on his back, that's what he did.

Solid post.

I like him too. He's produced big #s with two different QBs and he is solid at stretching the field. I think he's undervalued.

The rumors about us moving up have me concerned that they are targeting Tavon Austin. I think he is a natural fit for Musgrave's offense and I like his quickness. I just don't like the notion of looking to replace Percy and I don't like giving up picks to move up. I think there are a lot of players (esp. LB and WR) that offer great value in the 2nd, so I'd rather they moved down from 25 and pick up an extra 2nd and 3rd.
Funkytown
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by Funkytown »

The Milwaukee Journal-Sentinel reports West Virginia WR Tavon Austin scored a seven on his Wonderlic Test at the Combine.The Journal-Sentinel's Bob McGinn has exclusive access to Wonderlic scores each year, and he reveals them for some top wide receivers at the linked article below.

Tennessee's Cordarrelle Patterson registered an 11 out of 50. College teammate Justin Hunter scored a 12. Keenan Allen (19) and Robert Woods (23) were much better. Ultimately, Wonderlic scores have zero correlation to NFL success. Troy Williamson scored a 21, while A.J. Green scored a 10. Redskins busts Devin Thomas and Malcolm Kelly both scored in the 20s.
Interesting. And also--I've read/heard Troy Williamson's name more in the last week than I have...well, ever. lol.
CaptainKirov
Starter

Post by CaptainKirov »

Terrance Williams, WR, Baylor. 6-1 7/8 208 lbs

Strengths: Gliding athlete with smooth acceleration and long-striding speed. Good body control and balance for his size with smooth transitions and movements. Tracks the ball well downfield and can gain a step with an extra gear to be a legitimate vertical threat. Good focus and reach. Not a burner but catches the ball in stride and has the flexibility to make tough catches.
Strong plant foot in his routes to gain inside position and immediately looks upfield after the catch. Works back to the pocket and has good field awareness, finding open zones and showing the quarterback his numbers. Good effort blocking on the outside and can drive defenders out of the play. Shows some leadership qualities on the field and the sideline.

Weaknesses: Average route runner and needs continued improvement after a limited route tree at Baylor. Stiff ankles and has more build-up speed, lacking quick-twitch start/stop explosion. Didn't see a lot of press coverage in college and at times was able to just run past defensive backs untouched.

Needs to eliminate the mental errors and stay focused with his share of drops. Questionable toughness and doesn't always fight for every yard with a disappointing effort after interceptions, needing to show better effort for all four quarters. A tad too finesse at times and won't break a lot of tackles. Known to chirp at times about not getting the ball, will he be a distraction?

Courtesy of CBSsports
In victory,magnanimity; In defeat, defiance! - Fredrick The Great