Manti T'eo

Talk about the latest College games and players and discuss the NFL Draft here. Get reports on players, prospects, Draft Links, the latest Mock Drafts and other indepth analysis, plus the latest on the NCAA College games.

Moderator: Moderators

losperros
Commissioner

Re: Manti T'eo

Post by losperros »

CaptainKirov wrote:WRs are deep up to the 4th round
But the best ones will be gone by the end of the 2nd round. Watch and see.
CaptainKirov wrote:MLBs drop off after the first 5, thing is that they are spread between 3 rounds. Minter, Te'o, Brown and Ogletree are 1st rounders. Bostic and Alonso are 2-3 rounders their stock is all over the place.

DTs are just as deep. You can get a quality DT in round 3 or 4
I'll be shocked and not too happy if the Vikings don't take a MLB in R1. I'm hoping they grab a WR and CB before the 2nd round is finished.
Funkytown
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by Funkytown »

dead_poet wrote: Rick ordered it, but the only thing that came out was an empty plate. He pretended to eat it anyway.

Y'all got jokes! Too funny! :thumbsup:
mondry
Hall of Famer

Post by mondry »

losperros wrote: But the best ones will be gone by the end of the 2nd round. Watch and see.
I'll be shocked and not too happy if the Vikings don't take a MLB in R1. I'm hoping they grab a WR and CB before the 2nd round is finished.
Probably true, I don't see a guy like woods making it to the 3rd round.

I'll only be shocked if a few of the top MLB's are still on the board when they pick and they don't take one or if the picks are like Hopkins and Trufant, I could live with that.
losperros
Commissioner

Post by losperros »

mondry wrote: I'll only be shocked if a few of the top MLB's are still on the board when they pick and they don't take one or if the picks are like Hopkins and Trufant, I could live with that.
That's a really good point. Who knows which MLBs will be left by the time the Vikings pick?

Admittedly, I want more than the Vikings can get. I want them to pick a top MLB, plus I want them to get both Hopkins and Trufant before R2 is over. Now that would be a heck of a start to this draft. But it's very unlikely, nearly impossible, that it will happen that way.
saint33
All Pro Elite Player

Post by saint33 »

I don't get why everyone's obsessed with Trufant. I get that he's a good prospect, but I feel like there's likely to be better values at 23 and 25 and he'll be long gone by 52. I guess it just the fact that he'll be the best CB available once we start to pick? There are a number of corners I would be happy with in the second just as much if not more than I would be happy with Trufant in the first.
mondry
Hall of Famer

Post by mondry »

saint33 wrote:I don't get why everyone's obsessed with Trufant. I get that he's a good prospect, but I feel like there's likely to be better values at 23 and 25 and he'll be long gone by 52. I guess it just the fact that he'll be the best CB available once we start to pick? There are a number of corners I would be happy with in the second just as much if not more than I would be happy with Trufant in the first.
If I'm being totally honest with you, he's the only CB's name I know besides Milliner and Honey Badger. Just haven't done the research at CB and I think Trufant has a brother or two in the NFL already that are decent players. In other words it's total bull #### on my part, who are the second rounders you like?
losperros
Commissioner

Post by losperros »

saint33 wrote:I don't get why everyone's obsessed with Trufant. I get that he's a good prospect, but I feel like there's likely to be better values at 23 and 25 and he'll be long gone by 52. I guess it just the fact that he'll be the best CB available once we start to pick? There are a number of corners I would be happy with in the second just as much if not more than I would be happy with Trufant in the first.
I guess I wasn't aware that I was obsessed by Trufant. In fact, I still don't think I am. It's just that I saw Trufant play a couple times and he looked good to me, but that's all I've seen of him. And yes, there is a chance that he'll be the best CB available when the Vikings actually start looking for a CB, if one goes by most CB rankings.

Personally, there are CBs in the draft that I think are better than Trufant. Dee Milliner is fantastic. What's the chances the Vikings are going to get him? None. I've seen Jamar Taylor and was quite impressed by him, much more than I was with Trufant. Will he be around late in R1? Maybe but I'm doubtful. Xavier Rhodes from Florida State is another guy I've seen play and he's no slouch. Will he get picked before 25 rolls around? I wouldn't bet against it.

Bottom line, I think Trufant will be there and if he's the best CB available at the time, then I won't gripe if the Vikings take him. If they can pick any of the other guys that I mentioned instead of Trufant, then I'm fine with that as well.
mondry
Hall of Famer

Post by mondry »

mrc44 wrote:
He is listed as the best cornerback for our system. He plays the best out of all the cornerbacks in zone coverage. He is a perfect for our Tampa 2, and is considered a larger Winfield but is not as good of a tackler yet has better "ball hawking skills" which I guess he goes after the ball more
Damn a larger winfield sounds pretty appealing.
Demi
Commissioner

Post by Demi »

Not as good tackler, but better ball hawk. Then he isn't really a anything-winfield. :lol:
losperros
Commissioner

Post by losperros »

mondry wrote: Damn a larger winfield sounds pretty appealing.
It sure does.

I haven't seen enough of him to make the comparison but it's good to hear that Trufant is accustomed to a defensive style similar to what the Vikings use.
losperros
Commissioner

Post by losperros »

mrc44 wrote:I'm just saying what I have read everywhere . He is a better in zone than both Rhodes and milliner. So he is actually supposed to be the best cb for us, which means there is a very good chance they grab him if he is there. The bad thing is, that means we might not take Hopkins or Brown :(. I would actually be just alright if we grab Trufant and Hopkins and then Bostic. But I really think Brown is going to be a beast in the NFL
I hear ya. But that's the worst part of the draft. The Vikings never get to pick all the players they need or that I want them to choose.

Personally, I think there should be a NFL ruling that the Vikings always get the first 20 picks or so of any draft, regardless what their W/L record was the previous year. Seems fair to me. :D
big deli Vike
Backup

Post by big deli Vike »

I think Trufant/Rhodes and someone like hopkins could be the way to go and jenkins/hankins in two and draft bostic later. or trufant/rhodes and jesse williams and woods or dobson in the second. bostic would still be there in round 3. Either scenario is good with me
PacificNorseWest
Career Elite Player

Post by PacificNorseWest »

I was pretty strict and stubborn in my thinking of T'eo being a potential bust because of that ugly performance in the Nat'l Championship game, but the more I watch tape of the guy, he's definitely grown on me. I'm not 100% sold, but I'm getting a better feeling about him as each day passes.
losperros
Commissioner

Post by losperros »

PacificNorseWest wrote:I was pretty strict and stubborn in my thinking of T'eo being a potential bust because of that ugly performance in the Nat'l Championship game, but the more I watch tape of the guy, he's definitely grown on me. I'm not 100% sold, but I'm getting a better feeling about him as each day passes.

Not to beat a dead horse but we all have to keep in mind that Bama had a fantastic offense that was loaded with talent and was well coached. They focused on taking Te'o out of the BCS game for a reason. It was because they felt they had to do it to win. That means they knew Te'o could play, in my view. Add up all the other accolades and awards, and I figure the guy must be good.
PacificNorseWest
Career Elite Player

Post by PacificNorseWest »

Yep. That's a fair take. I've come around on him and think he's one helluva instinctive football player. That's the best kind of prospect in my eyes.