WRs to watch

Talk about the latest College games and players and discuss the NFL Draft here. Get reports on players, prospects, Draft Links, the latest Mock Drafts and other indepth analysis, plus the latest on the NCAA College games.

Moderator: Moderators

Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Re: WRs to watch

Post by Mothman »

losperros wrote: You're right. Look at it this way. Would you want the Vikings draft scouts to make decisions based solely on highlight reels and draft bios?
No, although there have been a few drafts in Vikings history where it looked like that's what they did. ;)
losperros
Commissioner

Post by losperros »

Mothman wrote: No, although there have been a few drafts in Vikings history where it looked like that's what they did. ;)
Umm...could we not talk about those? :D
dead_poet
Commissioner

Post by dead_poet »

This is a great read.

The Elusiveness Factor: Patterson-Austin-Woods
http://mattwaldmanrsp.com/2013/04/04/th ... ck-whalen/
“Some people think football is a matter of life and death. I assure you, it's much more serious than that.” --- Bill Shankly
The Breeze
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by The Breeze »

dead_poet wrote:This is a great read.

That was one heck of an analysis. Would love any one of those kids.
Texas Vike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by Texas Vike »

Wow; and I thought I was ridiculous w/ the amount of time I invest in this interest of mine! Very detailed.

Some highlights from the reading (if you have the time, read it in its entirety):
Patterson has made more defenders miss on fewer plays than Austin and Woods. To the naked eye, the Tennessee wide receiver’s open field skills are at a level above the rest of the wide receiver class
It also raises questions about the type of moves that will or won’t work against NFL defenses. Patterson’s is neither as polished as Woods nor as versatile as Austin. It means that one of two things will have to happen for Patterson to enjoy similar success in the NFL:

Patterson will need to sharpen his route running.
His seemingly other-worldly, open-field skills at the college level will have to translate to the NFL.
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

LOL! That guy needs an intervention. His poor fiancé...

It was a fun read so thanks for the link.
mondry
Hall of Famer

Post by mondry »

losperros wrote: You're right. Look at it this way. Would you want the Vikings draft scouts to make decisions based solely on highlight reels and draft bios?
Haha, of course not. If that was the case mel kiper would be picking for an NFL team LOL!

At this point I'm fine with whom ever spielman takes, clearly he's going to do far and away more research and knows way more about prospects than I ever will. If he picks Patterson I'd be ecstatic because to me his vote of confidence in picking him, combined with you and saint's analysis on the guy is enough to make me comfortable. I still want Hopkins, at this point I'm going down with THAT ship LOL.
mondry
Hall of Famer

Post by mondry »

mrc44 wrote: That's exactly my thoughts. Everyone else is a 2nd rounder to me and Woods is definitely leading the pack after the top 3. He is the 2nd best slot receiver in the draft by far in my eyes.

Welcome to the Hopkins club hahah. I even changed my avatar! He is the most solid receiver in the bunch. I dot even look at Austin's film anymore because the Rams will definitely grab him. They would be so foolish not to in their division. So Hopkins is my number one because I would like an outside receiver over another slot guy like Austin.
hahahahhaha AWESOME! I should have changed my avatar too, it's old and doesn't make sense anymore other then when people start complaining a bout Frazier I can point them at the brad childress days.
HardcoreVikesFan
Hall of Famer

Post by HardcoreVikesFan »

mondry wrote:
hahahahhaha AWESOME! I should have changed my avatar too, it's old and doesn't make sense anymore other then when people start complaining a bout Frazier I can point them at the brad childress days.
FWIW, I hope you keep your avatar Mondry! Your avatar has always made me chuckle over the past few years. IMO, your avatar was only second to Cliff's old Brad Childress Waffle House menu/playbook
A Randy Moss fan for life. A Kevin Williams fan for life.
losperros
Commissioner

Post by losperros »

mondry wrote:At this point I'm fine with whom ever spielman takes, clearly he's going to do far and away more research and knows way more about prospects than I ever will. If he picks Patterson I'd be ecstatic because to me his vote of confidence in picking him, combined with you and saint's analysis on the guy is enough to make me comfortable. I still want Hopkins, at this point I'm going down with THAT ship LOL.
I want Hopkins, too. But I agree that the most thorough analysis will come from Spielman and the Vikings staff, so I'll gladly accept whoever they choose during the draft for any of the positions. I felt they did a great job drafting last year.
Funkytown
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by Funkytown »

Bucky Brooks' #3 underrated prospect:
3) DeAndre Hopkins, WR, Clemson: If not for a slower-than-anticipated 40-yard dash (4.57 seconds), Hopkins would be considered the most complete receiver in the draft. He has all of the tools to be special at the next level as an explosive No. 1 option.
http://www.nfl.com/draft/story/0ap10000 ... -prospects
losperros
Commissioner

Post by losperros »

MelanieMFunk wrote:Bucky Brooks' #3 underrated prospect:
http://www.nfl.com/draft/story/0ap10000 ... -prospects
Too bad the always under-researched Bucky doesn't follow pro days. If he did, he would have seen Hopkins click off a 4.41/40.

Anyway, the stopwatch times can be tossed out the window with Hopkins. He's a long-strider with great sustained speed, which is why he gets open on deep routes.
Funkytown
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by Funkytown »

California's Keenan Allen, the No. 1-rated wide receiver on some teams' boards, was red-flagged for a drug test at the scouting combine in Indianapolis and ordered to undergo another test this month, league sources have said.

http://m.espn.go.com/nfl/story?storyId=9177855
dead_poet
Commissioner

Post by dead_poet »

Keenan Allen, the No. 1-rated WR on some boards, was red-flagged for a drug test at scouting combine in Indy and retested this month. Keenan Allen's agent, JT Johnson, denied his client failed any drug test. Results of recent test unknown. Some had Allen as draft's No. 1 WR. JT Johnson said Keenan Allen was retested this month for previous ankle and knee injuries and it had nothing to do with any drug test.
Adam Schefter on Twitter
“Some people think football is a matter of life and death. I assure you, it's much more serious than that.” --- Bill Shankly
Funkytown
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by Funkytown »

dead_poet wrote: Adam Schefter on Twitter
I beat you. :thumbsup: