Question for Moderators

Announcements, suggestions, comments, or problems with Vikingsmessageboard.com

Moderator: Moderators

yezzir
Hall of Fame Candidate

Question for Moderators

Post by yezzir »

Is there any way to update the features on the board? I've seen boards where people can give stars or "props" to anybody's posts. It highlights good posts, and rewards good, consistent posters. I enjoy seeing which opinions people post that are liked by the public. There are a bunch of people here who's thought out posts should get some recognition from fellow members.

Just checking. :thumbsup:
:v):
Eli
Hall of Famer

Re: Question for Moderators

Post by Eli »

All it takes is $$$.

Has anyone ever thought of upgrading to something like vBulletin? I'd be will to pitch in a little money, even annually, to pay for the software.

I could also help with the site migration, as I've worked with a few vBulletin boards in the past. It could be done on the side (say, at test.vikingsmessageboard.com) using a temporary test database. We'd test both the functionality and the database migration process itself. When it comes time to go live, we'd shut down the site, make a database backup, do the migration of the users and posts, then come back up.
Cliff
Site Admin

Post by Cliff »

It isn't a matter of money ... Most of that stuff is free to install via plugins.

I can't speak for why glg hasn't intalled it but I prefer it with less clutter.
Eli
Hall of Famer

Post by Eli »

Cliff wrote:It isn't a matter of money ... Most of that stuff is free to install via plugins.

I can't speak for why glg hasn't intalled it but I prefer it with less clutter.
Using plugins with phpBB can be a major PITA. I've also maintained phpBB boards and keeping the plugins installed while updating to newer versions can be a nightmare. You end up having to use a patch management system and even then there's no guarantee that all the plugins you have installed will work correctly each time you upgrade to a newer version. And if you don't upgrade, it's guaranteed that you'll be left vulnerable to attacks. It's much nicer to have the functionality right out of the box and supported by the vendor.
Cliff
Site Admin

Post by Cliff »

Eli wrote: Using plugins with phpBB can be a major PITA. I've also maintained phpBB boards and keeping the plugins installed while updating to newer versions can be a nightmare. You end up having to use a patch management system and even then there's no guarantee that all the plugins you have installed will work correctly each time you upgrade to a newer version. And if you don't upgrade, it's guaranteed that you'll be left vulnerable to attacks. It's much nicer to have the functionality right out of the box and supported by the vendor.
It's true that you have to worry about the plugins every update ... but something like post ratings you can be sure will be included shortly after every new release.

Still ... it's $250 to buy the software (plus I'm sure support contracts after the first year or so if you want to keep it). Then if they upgrade their software you have to repay to upgrade. Not to mention the hassle of actually switching to it ... and all so that we can gain the functionality to start a message board post/member popularity contest?

It's not my decision or anything ... I just don't see the point, I guess.
glg
Site Admin

Post by glg »

Eli wrote:Has anyone ever thought of upgrading to something like vBulletin?
Not really. I guess it's just not philosophy for the board. ie, I prefer simple, free, no ads, etc, etc
Purple bruise
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by Purple bruise »

Sorry to bother you but when I log in and go to the board index and try to post a comment my account is logged out. I am not sure what is going on. Any help would be appreciated. Thank you in advance.
Do not mistake KINDNESS for WEAKNESS!

Best to keep your mouth shut and be thought a fool rather than open it and remove all doubt.
glg
Site Admin

Post by glg »

Purple bruise wrote:Sorry to bother you but when I log in and go to the board index and try to post a comment my account is logged out. I am not sure what is going on. Any help would be appreciated. Thank you in advance.
The login gets stored as a cookie, so maybe something has gone awry in your browser? Try clearing cookies for this site and see if that helps.