How many of you have come over from other boards?

Run into some old friends from another group or board? Want to do a little schmoozing, talk over old times? Or just some off topic stuff, then this is the place.

Moderator: Moderators

dead_poet
Commissioner

Re: How many of you have come over from other boards?

Post by dead_poet »

MelanieMFunk wrote:Repeated disappointments? Like what?
Let's not go down that road.
It's not so much what Jackson did that made me a fan. It was all of the hours I put into defending the man--and the fact that he was a Viking. lol. I would be a fool to give up on him now. But more than that, I feel like the fans were too hard on him.
I'm all for supporting/defending players, to a point. When there comes a time when it seems like they are either consistently costing the team games, a liability more than an asset, then they are damaging the team as a whole. People that criticize are largely advocating for the greater good. When it became clear to me that Tarvaris didn't have "it" and couldn't produce at a level of a starting NFL quarterback, I began calling for a change to someone (anyone) that could better lead the offense and ultimately win more games. From what I read about the guy, he's nice, an asset in the locker room and a heck of a hard worker. He handled himself with class in all he was put through, but the bottom line on him is that he's not a starting NFL quarterback. I believe he's shown that in his career to this point. I was pulling for him, but it got to the point where I cringed every time he dropped back. That's...not a good indication. But that didn't mean I didn't want him to succeed. I just lost confidence that he could, consistently.
I don't think he's half as bad as people try to pretend.
It really depends on your definition of "bad." In my opinion, his ceiling is probably an average backup. Which, in the NFL, is nothing to sneeze at. But he may have a hard time being more than #3 this season in Buffalo. He just didn't/doesn't consistently produce at a high enough level.
People love to hate Tarvaris Jackson
He's an easy target. Most quarterbacks that aren't of starting caliber but starting anyway are that way though (see: Sanchez, Mark).
More than that though, 99% of the time I support everything Vikings. I'm not one to sit around and bash everyone and their dog. I'd rather bash other cry-baby fans than turn on my purple! :D So, that's what I did. It was me and like one other person on WeAreVikingsFans.com defending Jackson. It was us against the world it seemed. lol :) I'll never turn my back on him.
That's admirable. But I still think you have to look at it from the perspective that many fans that criticize players (even if they choose poor words or spout ill-informed nonsense) are really looking at it from the perspective of "What is best for the franchise?" and "Can this guy help us win the Super Bowl we so desperately seek?" But I agree; I'd rather Vikings Nation rally and bash lame Packer fans :o When some poor Packer fan moseys here the week of games to start crap, it's amazing how overwhelmed they become. But, to their credit, there's one or two here that <swallows vomit> are not awful to read and whose opinions are measured and logical. Wait...that can't be right. :twisted:
The fans treated him like garbage
I don't think Vikings fans treated him any differently than any other starting quarterback performing at the level he did. Just be thankful he was a Viking and not subjected to the likes of the New York/Philly media/fans. People just began calling for a change at different times. Some wanted him gone after six games, others gave him more slack. But I wouldn't say he was treated like "garbage." Better performance/more wins would've turned the fan base around.
--and he still wanted to play for the Vikings and be in Minnesota.
I don't know how much of that was his innate loyalty as much as he was under contract PLUS he was given a legitimate chance to be a starter.
If I was him I would have WANTED to leave, but he didn't.
I think both sides needed a fresh start. It was a pretty clean break from what I remember.
Then you have guys like Harvin who everyone loves--and he can't wait to get outta Minnesota. At least Jackson wanted to be a Viking. He earned my respect. Plus, for a quarterback, he's buff. lol
If Jackson produced at the level at the quarterback position that Harvin did at receiver/returner, I guarantee Tarvaris would've had a lot more fans (and would likely still be starting for us). If only Harvin had Tarvaris' attitude.

Heh, I suppose he IS buff. Sooo, there's that.
“Some people think football is a matter of life and death. I assure you, it's much more serious than that.” --- Bill Shankly
King James
All Pro Elite Player

Post by King James »

MelanieMFunk wrote: LOL. Exactly! I was like, "What is James talking about? He's giving me a hard time about my avatar when his is a woman?" lol. Nice!

Who is that now? She looks like a woman on this TV show called "Deception" that I watch.

You are correct!! The first one was of Beyonce aka the power surge killer at the super bowl.

This one is of Meagan Good. My celebrity crush!!! lol
Funkytown
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by Funkytown »

JEC334 wrote:
You are correct!! The first one was of Beyonce aka the power surge killer at the super bowl.

This one is of Meagan Good. My celebrity crush!!! lol
I recognized Beyonce. Shoulda put a ring on it! I love her. lol

I actually recognized this one, too. Not that I know her name. I just recognized her face. I can't say that I'm used to seeing her (How do I say this?) "tas" out like that. lol She isn't trying to be sexy in "Deception", but man do I love that show. I'm addicted! Do you watch it just to stare at her? lol jk
King James
All Pro Elite Player

Post by King James »

I don't watch Deception but she has been in plenty of movies in the past. Mostly urban style movies. Deception is like a new area for her.
Funkytown
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by Funkytown »

dead_poet wrote: Let's not go down that road.
I'm all for supporting/defending players, to a point. When there comes a time when it seems like they are either consistently costing the team games, a liability more than an asset, then they are damaging the team as a whole. People that criticize are largely advocating for the greater good. When it became clear to me that Tarvaris didn't have "it" and couldn't produce at a level of a starting NFL quarterback, I began calling for a change to someone (anyone) that could better lead the offense and ultimately win more games. From what I read about the guy, he's nice, an asset in the locker room and a heck of a hard worker. He handled himself with class in all he was put through, but the bottom line on him is that he's not a starting NFL quarterback. I believe he's shown that in his career to this point. I was pulling for him, but it got to the point where I cringed every time he dropped back. That's...not a good indication. But that didn't mean I didn't want him to succeed. I just lost confidence that he could, consistently.
It really depends on your definition of "bad." In my opinion, his ceiling is probably an average backup. Which, in the NFL, is nothing to sneeze at. But he may have a hard time being more than #3 this season in Buffalo. He just didn't/doesn't consistently produce at a high enough level.
He's an easy target. Most quarterbacks that aren't of starting caliber but starting anyway are that way though (see: Sanchez, Mark).
That's admirable. But I still think you have to look at it from the perspective that many fans that criticize players (even if they choose poor words or spout ill-informed nonsense) are really looking at it from the perspective of "What is best for the franchise?" and "Can this guy help us win the Super Bowl we so desperately seek?" But I agree; I'd rather Vikings Nation rally and bash lame Packer fans :o When some poor Packer fan moseys here the week of games to start crap, it's amazing how overwhelmed they become. But, to their credit, there's one or two here that <swallows vomit> are not awful to read and whose opinions are measured and logical. Wait...that can't be right. :twisted:
I don't think Vikings fans treated him any differently than any other starting quarterback performing at the level he did. Just be thankful he was a Viking and not subjected to the likes of the New York/Philly media/fans. People just began calling for a change at different times. Some wanted him gone after six games, others gave him more slack. But I wouldn't say he was treated like "garbage." Better performance/more wins would've turned the fan base around.
I don't know how much of that was his innate loyalty as much as he was under contract PLUS he was given a legitimate chance to be a starter.
I think both sides needed a fresh start. It was a pretty clean break from what I remember.
If Jackson produced at the level at the quarterback position that Harvin did at receiver/returner, I guarantee Tarvaris would've had a lot more fans (and would likely still be starting for us). If only Harvin had Tarvaris' attitude.

Heh, I suppose he IS buff. Sooo, there's that.

This reply is huge. lol. That's all I have to say about that. Lengthy. :)

I could defend Jackson all day, but it's over with. I just don't understand all the "T-Joke" comments and everything else. He had some bogus playing time as a rookie, helped win 8 games the next season (How many OTHER "starting" quarterbacks won a game when Jackson was injured? 0), got benched after 2 games in the following season (vs. the Packers and Colts...hardly "easy W's") one of which we SHOULD have won if Shiancoe could freakin' catch (I was there), and barely played at all after that. So, excuse me, what is there to hate on? Why all the Jackson haters? Because he failed to get us into the playoffs his second season (when he couldn't stay healthy and the other quarterbacks were close to worthless) and lost vs. the Eagles in the playoffs the following year? That's it? We always lose to Eagles when it matters. lol I just don't get it. People act like he blew games for 8 seasons or something. HE BARELY PLAYED!

Fans were ugly towards him. I was on the message boards. I know. I also attended a game when fans booed him. Guess what? He was a freakin' backup, and they booed him. In the preseason no less! Really? We boo our backup players? People still talk about Jackson in a negative way. I mean, if the Vikings biggest problem was their backup quarterback, we'd have won a few Super Bowls in the past couple years, don't ya think? I WISH that's all we had to complain about. Yeesh.

I just think there are better things to complain about than what Tarvaris Jackson did his one *whole* year as starter, which he didn't even play the whole time because of injuries. It was 5 years ago. Time to move on ladies. Tarvaris Jackson isn't the reason the Vikings haven't won a Super Bowl. lol Let. It. Go.

So, yes, I think people ARE too hard on him. Those 20 starts for the Vikings just ruined the whole franchise. Wow. I guess finishing 8-4 in his one season as "full-time" starter is garbage. I guess that is a joke. A T-Joke. lol
Last edited by Funkytown on Wed Apr 10, 2013 12:12 am, edited 2 times in total.
Funkytown
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by Funkytown »

JEC334 wrote:I don't watch Deception but she has been in plenty of movies in the past. Mostly urban style movies. Deception is like a new area for her.
Yeah. I didn't think you watched it. The only reason I do is because it comes on right after my favorite show "The Biggest Loser." lol. Don't hate. It's a great show! I must have been too lazy to turn the channel one night and actually watched it. It's really good. But, I don't think you'd be interested. lol. It's one of those serious crime/investigative/cop shows. She's not being all sexy or anything. :)
glg
Site Admin

Post by glg »

MelanieMFunk wrote:I recognized Beyonce. Shoulda put a ring on it! I love her. lol
So I was at a wedding this past weekend. DJ plays "Single Ladies" and my wife is out there dancing with the bride and a single friend. I'm like "uh, honey, I did put a ring on it"
Funkytown
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by Funkytown »

glg wrote: So I was at a wedding this past weekend. DJ plays "Single Ladies" and my wife is out there dancing with the bride and a single friend. I'm like "uh, honey, I did put a ring on it"
Funny. :) If you liked it, then you shoulda put a ring on it. Oh, oh, oh. :)
King James
All Pro Elite Player

Post by King James »

glg wrote: So I was at a wedding this past weekend. DJ plays "Single Ladies" and my wife is out there dancing with the bride and a single friend. I'm like "uh, honey, I did put a ring on it"

Which is ironic because Beyonce released that song not too longer after she got married herself. :confused: And she still wears the ring till this day.