Keenan Allen's pro day

Talk about the latest College games and players and discuss the NFL Draft here. Get reports on players, prospects, Draft Links, the latest Mock Drafts and other indepth analysis, plus the latest on the NCAA College games.

Moderator: Moderators

Is Allen still a 1st round pick?

Yes
33%
No
39%
Unsure
28%

Total votes: 18

CaptainKirov
Starter

Keenan Allen's pro day

Post by CaptainKirov »

Ran a 4.71 40 according to Mike Mayock.

Dr. James Andrew said the knee itself is 100% but the surrounding muscle is only about 75%

I predict a slide for the former first round lock
In victory,magnanimity; In defeat, defiance! - Fredrick The Great

Pepper2Moss
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Re: Keenan Allen's pro day

Post by Pepper2Moss »

I've been on his bandwagon for a while. If he has a chance to fall, maybe draft best defensive player available with one of the 2 firsts, then trade back into the mid 30's with the other pick & pickup an extra 3rd/4th & take best wideout left in the 35-40 range.
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

CaptainKirov wrote:Ran a 4.71 40 according to Mike Mayock.

Dr. James Andrew said the knee itself is 100% but the surrounding muscle is only about 75%

I predict a slide for the former first round lock
It's definitely possible. I think it will depend on how teams evaluate that injury and how they expect other interested teams to react to it. I doubt the 40 times will have much influence on where he's selected.
CaptainKirov
Starter

Post by CaptainKirov »

Mothman wrote: It's definitely possible. I think it will depend on how teams evaluate that injury and how they expect other interested teams to react to it. I doubt the 40 times will have much influence on where he's selected.
He's a WR. Its one of the few positions that actually need the 40. Most linebackers can run faster than a 4.7. He'd be easy to cover with that kind of speed.

dead_poet
Commissioner

Post by dead_poet »

Keenan Allen - WR - Golden Bears

NFL.com's Mike Mayock says he was told by scouts that Cal WR Keenan Allen is a 4.55 player on tape.

Allen ran a 4.71 and 4.75 40-yard dashes at his pro day, per Mayock, and the comments from the scouts comes as no surprise. Allen is a big, physical wide receiver that is a better athlete than he times and is very versatile. He can line up all over the formation and create matchup problems for defenses in ways similar to Miles Austin. Mayock said Allen could go anywhere from pick 25 to 45.
Source: NFL.com
“Some people think football is a matter of life and death. I assure you, it's much more serious than that.” --- Bill Shankly
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

CaptainKirov wrote:He's a WR. Its one of the few positions that actually need the 40. Most linebackers can run faster than a 4.7. He'd be easy to cover with that kind of speed.
Yes, but that's almost certainly not an accurate indication of his actual speed and teams know it so why place significant emphasis on 40 times that probably aren't indicative of how he can actually run in a game situation when healthy? Speed was never Allen's main selling point anyway so if teams feel confident in his health and like what they saw of his WR skills in the workout, the 40 times probably won't make much of a difference.
Eli
Hall of Famer

Post by Eli »

The obvious implication in the report is that Allen isn't yet back to 100% and would likely run faster after he's completely rehabbed.

I'm surprised more undergrads, especially receivers and running backs, don't do pro days or something similar when they're healthy, just to get things like their 40 times and vertical and broad jump numbers on paper. Then if they get hurt during their senior seasons and can't run at either the combine or their senior pro day, it wouldn't hurt their draft stock as much.
dead_poet
Commissioner

Post by dead_poet »

Eli wrote:I'm surprised more undergrads, especially receivers and running backs, don't do pro days or something similar when they're healthy, just to get things like their 40 times and vertical and broad jump numbers on paper.
Do you mean during the season, prior to the combine? If what I read is correct, there's a fair amount of training that goes into the combine and drills that they prepare for during the interim. I'm also not sure the process to get it "official", or if it can even be done during the season.
“Some people think football is a matter of life and death. I assure you, it's much more serious than that.” --- Bill Shankly
PacificNorseWest
Career Elite Player

Post by PacificNorseWest »

Forget the 40 for a second. It's not an end all for WR's. Ask Jerry Rice, CC, Boldin, and Fitzgerald what they think about the 40-yard dash.

A hampering knee injury and an inability to stretch the field are my concerns with Allen. He got a lot of cushion from CB's in college and the luxury of going against LB's and Safety's. I worry once he goes against top flight CB talent consistenly, if he still shows the same promise.
CaptainKirov
Starter

Post by CaptainKirov »

PacificNorseWest wrote:Forget the 40 for a second. It's not an end all for WR's. Ask Jerry Rice, CC, Boldin, and Fitzgerald what they think about the 40-yard dash.

A hampering knee injury and an inability to stretch the field are my concerns with Allen. He got a lot of cushion from CB's in college and the luxury of going against LB's and Safety's. I worry once he goes against top flight CB talent consistenly, if he still shows the same promise.
I dont normally buy into 40 times much. But when hes got a 40 time similar to Manti Te'o's i get a little worried

Eli
Hall of Famer

Post by Eli »

He has plenty of time to rehab the knee completely by the time training camp rolls around. The only fear is that the injury could turn out to be a chronic one, and I haven't seen any suggestions to that effect.
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

PacificNorseWest wrote:Forget the 40 for a second. It's not an end all for WR's. Ask Jerry Rice, CC, Boldin, and Fitzgerald what they think about the 40-yard dash.

That's a legitimate concern, although there's reason to worry about how any college WR will fare against the better overall quality of DB they'll face at the next level.

Is there any compelling reason to believe Allen will still be hampered by that injury 4 months after the draft when the season begins? That's not sarcasm, I'm actually asking...

The inability to stretch the field only strikes me as a concern if that's what someone is drafting him to do and that seems unlikely since he's not perceived as a speedy, field-stretching receiver in the first place.
CaptainKirov wrote:I dont normally buy into 40 times much. But when hes got a 40 time similar to Manti Te'o's i get a little worried
You posted the info that the muscle surrounding his knee is only about 75% yourself. Don't you think that may have had an impact on his 40 time?

40 times aren't that indicative of how a receiver can run anyway. After all, they aren't running 40 yard dashes on the field very often. They're making cuts, double moves, veering a route inside and taking it out, etc. Acceleration out of a break means as much or more as a straight timed dash.
HardcoreVikesFan
Hall of Famer

Post by HardcoreVikesFan »

Yes he is. There is little doubt in my mind he gets past New England or Baltimore.
A Randy Moss fan for life. A Kevin Williams fan for life.
Demi
Commissioner

Post by Demi »

Not worth the risk at all!
Eli
Hall of Famer

Post by Eli »

Demi wrote:Not worth the risk at all!
Excellent analysis.