Vikings 7 round mock

Talk about the latest College games and players and discuss the NFL Draft here. Get reports on players, prospects, Draft Links, the latest Mock Drafts and other indepth analysis, plus the latest on the NCAA College games.

Moderator: Moderators

CaptainKirov
Starter

Vikings 7 round mock

Post by CaptainKirov »

R1-23 DeAndre Hopkins, WR, Clemson
Hopkins is a Roddy White clone, i will beat that notion to death till the day hes drafted. 6'1 214lbs. Hes not the tall outside WR many of us want. But he plays big, runs great routes and has very soft hands. At Clemson he was a TD machine. He caught pretty much everything that came his way. Having him across Jennings would be ideal for his development and production. Low expectations with Jennings being the #1 and less stress from opposing corners.

R1-25 Manti Te'o, MLB, Notre Dame
Considered by many to be a sure-fire first round pick after his junior season, Te'o surprised many when he decided to put the NFL on hold and return to the Irish for the 2012 season. After leading Notre Dame in tackles the past three seasons, earning an astounding seven national awards in 2012. Has a stocky, powerful frame with overall weight distribution and a naturally low-center of gravity which aids him in anchoring against blockers. Shows very good key and diagnosis skills, correctly identifying the intent of the play and quickly attacking.

R-2 52 David Amerson, CB, NC State
Amerson has rare height and length for the position and actually played primarily at safety in high school. He has the size and ballskills for the next level, but scouts are also impressed with his competitive drive to get better, showing vast improvement between his freshman and sophomore seasons. And the coaching staff says there is no problem keeping Amerson hungry, as he is one of the top practice players each week. Could prove a fit in a press-based scheme. Highly aggressive defender who intercepted many of his passes reading the eyes of quarterbacks and jumping short routes.

R3 Brandon Williams, NT, Missouri Southern State
Broad-shouldered and bulked up, especially in his upper body. Possesses the upper-body strength to shove opponents into the backfield and disrupt plays before they even have a chance to begin. Has enough short area quickness to slice through gaps. Possesses longer arms (32 3/4) than expected given his stout frame, which he uses well to keep offensive linemen off of him. Strong, heavy hands. Experienced playing on the nose, defensive tackle and out wide as a five-technique defensive end and has the length and awareness to be similarly versatile in the NFL. Good recognition of screens and draws. Surprisingly light feet and balance to move laterally through the trash and shows enough phone-booth quickness to close. Good strength and aggression for the pull-down tackle. Gets his hands up in passing lanes to provide quarterbacks with narrow lanes and has good hand-eye coordination and timing to tip passes.

R4 Cobi Hamilton, WR, Arkansas
Gliding athlete with good quickness in-and-out of his breaks and good, but not great, vertical speed. Nice job after the catch to slip defenders and race down the field. Used a lot on movement routes to catch the ball in stride and create seperation. Smooth body control with excellent adjustments to back shoulder and off-target throws. Nice job securing away from his frame, making consistent hand catches with good hand/eye coordination. Tough at the line of scrimmage and in tight coverage. Benefited from his chemistry with quarterback Tyler Wilson in college with top-shelf production, including the school-record for career catches.

R4 Robert Lester, SS, Alabama
Possesses a long, lean build well-suited to today's pass-happy NFL. Reads the quarterback's eyes and is a smooth accelerator, showing a burst to close on underneath routes. Times his leaps well in jump-ball situations and extends his arms to make a play at its highest point. Excellent ball skills, including the ability to track the ball over his shoulder, extend to catch away from his frame and the ability to sneak his hands under the ball to corral pass deflections.

R5 Ricky Wagner, OL, Wisconsin
Naturally large man with the long-limbs (33 1/2" arms) scouts are looking for at tackle. Flashes good initial quickness and gains good depth on his kick-slide when in pass protection. Best attribute might be his quickness and technique as a run blocker. Quick enough to turn and seal off defenders, creating large rushing lanes and can be a imposing force when releasing to the second level. I see him as Loadholt's backup.

R6 Aaron Mallette, WR, Elon
Solidly-built frame with good height and length for the position. Smooth body adjustments and looks flexible in his cuts, using his reach and movements to collect off-target throws. Uses his size well and knows how to box out defenders and utilize his frame. Natural hands-catcher with good focus to snatch grabs away from his body. Good toughness over the middle and competes for the ball in tight spaces. Good production over his career with at least 86 catches each of the last three seasons and 44 career touchdown receptions.

R7 John Lotulelei, OLB, UNLV
A potential honors candidate who is the squad's leading returning tackler in 2012 ... A high-energy defender that turned in a strong spring practice and is listed No. 1 at weakside linebacker heading into the fall ... Earned Preseason Second Team All-Mountain West from Lindy's ... Selected to represent the defense at the annual Mountain West Media Days event in Las Vegas in July....not much i could find on him

R7 Stansly Maponga, DE, TCU
Natural edge rusher who displayed natural pass rush skills. He is quick off the snap, shows good flexibility to react to cut blocks and is more stout at the point of attack than his size might indicate due to his natural leverage advantage and good upper strength. Maponga also shows strong, active hands, which he uses well to defeat blocks and knock the ball free. He has forced seven fumbles over the past two seasons.

R7 Travis Howard, CB, Ohio St.
Howard has good height and length for the position and matches up physically with receivers. He is an aggressive run defender, filling run lanes hard and throwing his body around on tackle attempts. Howard has the foot quickness to mirror the actions of receivers and play tight coverage. He does a nice job reading the eyes of the QB and isn't afraid to come off his man to make a play, driving quickly on plays. Howard has good ballskills and does a nice job getting his hands on the ball with eight interceptions and 20 passes defended over his career.
In victory,magnanimity; In defeat, defiance! - Fredrick The Great

big deli Vike
Backup

Re: Vikings 7 round mock

Post by big deli Vike »

The hamilton and lester picks would be great. Just would rather not draft Teo. Kinda hope he's gone so there's no temptation for Spielman to draft him. Plus it could be nice to trade down with 25 and gather some more picks
CaptainKirov
Starter

Post by CaptainKirov »

big deli Vike wrote:The hamilton and lester picks would be great. Just would rather not draft Teo. Kinda hope he's gone so there's no temptation for Spielman to draft him. Plus it could be nice to trade down with 25 and gather some more picks
Well who do you want at MLB then? He's solid value in the late 1st rd, especially with a big hole at MLB. Not to mention, he's got great instincts and lateral quickness, which is important for a linebacker in our defensive scheme. He grabbed 7 INT's last year and for many years, our MLB's have been terrible in coverage. Its been a very long time since the Vikings had a MLB that could do it all. EJ was a great run stuffer but was eh in coverage. Ogletree(though hes an olb in our scheme) would be good in just coverage, he leaves alot to be desired in run support. Kevin Minter is the exact opposite, instinctual run defender but is a little slow for coverage. Te'o does both exceptionally well. Mike Mayock and Charlie Casserly both think he'd be a better fit in zone coverage, which is exactly what the vikings run. And he's proven good against the run. Even in the BCS game he still managed to rack up 10 tackles.

Thats at least how i see it.

Mercy Percy
Franchise Player

Post by Mercy Percy »

Also T'eo just re ran his 40 at a 4.71 if I am correct! So he has alright speed and would be an instant starter over Audie Cole
The term fan comes from FANatic or fanatical.
big deli Vike
Backup

Post by big deli Vike »

CaptainKirov wrote: Well who do you want at MLB then? He's solid value in the late 1st rd, especially with a big hole at MLB. Not to mention, he's got great instincts and lateral quickness, which is important for a linebacker in our defensive scheme. He grabbed 7 INT's last year and for many years, our MLB's have been terrible in coverage. Its been a very long time since the Vikings had a MLB that could do it all. EJ was a great run stuffer but was eh in coverage. Ogletree(though hes an olb in our scheme) would be good in just coverage, he leaves alot to be desired in run support. Kevin Minter is the exact opposite, instinctual run defender but is a little slow for coverage. Te'o does both exceptionally well. Mike Mayock and Charlie Casserly both think he'd be a better fit in zone coverage, which is exactly what the vikings run. And he's proven good against the run. Even in the BCS game he still managed to rack up 10 tackles.

Thats at least how i see it.
i agree that we havent had a good MLB in a long time. Te'o isnt the athlete that minter or ogletree is and i prefer minter because he is a monster hitter which would be awesome to have. He can be fine in coverage. Its better to watch them play then believe the "experts" alot. how many times do they get it wrong?
Plus Te'o's ints- 1. Navy- good by him. 2-3 Denard Robinson awful pass, 3 tipped by Motta i think it was and te'o was in the right spot. 4. BYU thrown behind TE that ran past Te'o, tipped, Te'o fortunate. 5 OU game guy caught it hit the ground, ball popped up into Te'o's arms. 6 BC game, QB threw off his back foot hit the RB in the shoulder and bounced backwards to Te'o. 7. USC a legit one. I will never question his toughness and character (just his dating site use).
If we take him i'll live with it. If we do i hope he proves me wrong and you are right. I just think that when you want defense, I love SEC
Demi
Commissioner

Post by Demi »

Well who do you want at MLB then?
Arthur Brown!
CaptainKirov
Starter

Post by CaptainKirov »

mrc44 wrote:First pick is a reach in my opinion, and I LOVE Hopkins. he is my favorite WR in this draft. But I think with our first pick we will take Defense unless Tavon Austin is there. If Tavon Austin is there at #23 that would be a GREAT pick.

The other thing to consider is what the Colts need. It seems like Colts will draft Defense with their pick based on what the mock drafts are showing. So if the Colts desperately need a DT, LB, DE then we should draft our DT or LB if he is available at #23 and grab WR or CB at #25. The only reason I say this is because we don't want to risk reaching for a WR at #23 if Indy isn't even going to consider a WR and will potentially grab one of the Defensive players that we are banking on being there at #25.

So I think we go Arthur Brown/Manti Te'o with #23, Desmond Trufant/DJ Hayden with #25. Trade up a little in the 2nd round and grab Robert Woods/Quinton Patton. And then go WR again in the 3rd round; maybe Dobson.
Many mocks have Hopkins slated to the Pats or Texans. Now if thats where his value is i'd be more than comfortable with "reaching" for Nuk with the 25th pick. Especially if he can live up to the Roddy White comparison. I want to stay far away from Robert Woods. Never really liked USC WRs and he's a bonafide #2 WR. His skillset is ideal for across an Andre Johnson or Larry Fitzgerald. I know next to nothing on Patton. Have had my sights set on the taller #1 type WRs.

If its a LB we have to have in the first i think we can bank on the colts not taking Brown or Te'o

As far as Trufant or DJ Haden. I respect Mayocks opinion more than any other draft analyst. But im not sure how to feel about a guy that was virtually unknown until his pro day when Mayock discovered him. Maybe im missing something. Trufant is a good pick imo. But im really liking Amerson's value in round 2. A year ago he hauled in 12 ints a year ago and hauled in 5 this year. He is long and is a noted ballhawk. Him, Chris Cook and Josh Robinson sound like a good set of CBs to me.

CaptainKirov
Starter

Post by CaptainKirov »

Demi wrote: Arthur Brown!
Id like to quote an article titled Buyer Beware On these 10 Draft Prospects. Brown was one of the listed prospects
On film, Arthur Brown looks like one of the fastest linebackers in the NFL. He also looks like a guy who struggles to take on blockers at the point of attack and shed effectively. When he's allowed to roam free and attack ball-carriers, he flashes some impressive ability, but he can also show inconsistencies in tackling.

Brown is not known for his strength or physicality, but more so for his ability to run sideline to sideline. This skill is one which is highly coveted at the next level and generally displays nicely in testing. However, Brown surprisingly tested very poorly and had a combined-speed average similar to that of Manti Te'o, whom the media bashed for running so poorly even though he is not known for having blazing speed like Brown.

Brown's lack of speed is really one of the big question marks of this draft process and has now tainted his most redeeming quality. In ranking his overall physical tools among his linebacker peers, Brown ranks 12th out of 22. This is alarming for a guy who is supposed to be one of the best athletes at his position.

Looking at his production grade doesn't get much better; in that category, he ranked 13th among non-edge-rushing linebackers. It appears there is more to be concerned about than there is to praise at this point. This is a clear case of buyer beware.
Now i like Brown but im not sure how much

dead_poet
Commissioner

Post by dead_poet »

CaptainKirov wrote: Id like to quote an article titled Buyer Beware On these 10 Draft Prospects. Brown was one of the listed prospects
Now i like Brown but im not sure how much
Uh, Brown ran between 4.5-4.6 at his pro day. He's faster than 'T'e''''o' and it's not close.
“Some people think football is a matter of life and death. I assure you, it's much more serious than that.” --- Bill Shankly
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

dead_poet wrote: Uh, Brown ran between 4.5-4.6 at his pro day. He's faster than 'T'e''''o' and it's not close.
Brown definitely ran faster but I don't think 40 times really matter that much anyway. LBs aren't running 40 yard dashes during games so other characteristics matter more. Diagnosing and reacting to a play, taking good angles, tackling properly/effectively, getting off blocks, speed in shorter windows (ie: pursuit speed), coverage skills, etc. all matter more than straight-line speed and can make a much bigger difference in the quality of performance an LB provides in actual game situations.
dead_poet
Commissioner

Post by dead_poet »

Mothman wrote:Brown definitely ran faster but I don't think 40 times really matter that much anyway. LBs aren't running 40 yard dashes during games so other characteristics matter more. Diagnosing and reacting to a play, taking good angles, tackling properly/effectively, getting off blocks, speed in shorter windows (ie: pursuit speed), coverage skills, etc. all matter more than straight-line speed and can make a much bigger difference in the quality of performance an LB provides in actual game situations.
No doubt. I just take issue with the article comparing their speed (essentially in a vacuum). And, granted, straight-line speed is only one of many important qualities of good linebackers. But I hardly think Brown is in the same category as T'e'o'''''''''''''' as the author mentioned.

According to many accounts Brown "blew up" his Pro Day workout. At 6-foot-1, 236 he repped 225 pounds 21 times. He was reportedly "sensational" in drill work too.

I guess this just goes to show how opinions vary.
“Some people think football is a matter of life and death. I assure you, it's much more serious than that.” --- Bill Shankly
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

dead_poet wrote:No doubt. I just take issue with the article comparing their speed (essentially in a vacuum). And, granted, straight-line speed is only one of many important qualities of good linebackers. But I hardly think Brown is in the same category as T'e'o'''''''''''''' as the author mentioned.
I doubt it. Maybe Te'o has comparable speed in the first 10-15 yards or something? It certainly looks like Brown is the faster player overall.
According to many accounts Brown "blew up" his Pro Day workout. At 6-foot-1, 236 he repped 225 pounds 21 times. He was reportedly "sensational" in drill work too.

I guess this just goes to show how opinions vary.
Yes... it's part of what makes the draft fun. :)
CaptainKirov
Starter

Post by CaptainKirov »

Brown definitely ran faster but I don't think 40 times really matter that much anyway. LBs aren't running 40 yard dashes during games so other characteristics matter more. Diagnosing and reacting to a play, taking good angles, tackling properly/effectively, getting off blocks, speed in shorter windows (ie: pursuit speed), coverage skills, etc. all matter more than straight-line speed and can make a much bigger difference in the quality of performance an LB provides in actual game situations.
Manti had a better short shuttle (4.27) than Brown (4.31). Te'o's pro day had various times in the 4.7s. Brown was a 4.67 at his pro day. Average all three (40, SS, 3-cone) run times from each and Te'o has a 5.39 and Brown has a 5.35. Those are very similar speed averages.

CaptainKirov
Starter

Post by CaptainKirov »

mrc44 wrote: Brown was actually clocked at a 4.58 and a 4.62 in his 40. On top of that he was battling a shoulder injury at the time which probably affected some of his pro day, not necessarily his 40. But I'm not sure as I have never had the injury, just speculating.
Im not disagreeing. I probably sound like i dont like Brown. But i actually do. Him and Te'o are a 1a 1b for MLBs

CaptainKirov
Starter

Post by CaptainKirov »

Jeffbleedspurple wrote:I seen a mock draft that has Matt Barkley falling to the 4th round, hahaha!!

Gregg Cosel said he's a 4th rounder.....but what does Barkley have to do with my mock?