MLB prospects

Talk about the latest College games and players and discuss the NFL Draft here. Get reports on players, prospects, Draft Links, the latest Mock Drafts and other indepth analysis, plus the latest on the NCAA College games.

Moderator: Moderators

Purple bruise
Hall of Fame Candidate

Re: MLB prospects

Post by Purple bruise »

I would be quite happy if the Vikes get Teo with either of their 2 first rounders. This is a guy who was one time projected to be the 1st over all pick in the draft. He did have a very good Pro day and improved his 40 time for what ever that is worth. If the Vikes get him and or Patterson or Allen I will give them an A for those two picks.
Do not mistake KINDNESS for WEAKNESS!

Best to keep your mouth shut and be thought a fool rather than open it and remove all doubt.
dead_poet
Commissioner

Post by dead_poet »

Purple bruise wrote:This is a guy who was one time projected to be the 1st over all pick in the draft.
I think the consensus around the league is that was largely media-driven and probably not accurate. From what I've read/seen/watched of him the late first/second round grade is probably accurate.
“Some people think football is a matter of life and death. I assure you, it's much more serious than that.” --- Bill Shankly
losperros
Commissioner

Post by losperros »

saint33 wrote:I think you're misreading my point. I'm not suggesting Minter lacks leadership. He's a solid on field leader, but he doesn't have rare leadership qualities that Te'o has. Te'o appears to lift the player's around him. As I said, Te'o and Minter are so closely comparable. I wouldn't be devastated if they took Minter over Te'o. I just feel like neither is incredibly gifted physically but both are sound instinctual players, so the only thing that separates them really for me is that fact that Te'o has more "special" qualities.
Thanks for your explanation and I now understand your point better. Again, I'm biased about this because I've seen a bunch of Minter's games while not being all that familiar with Te'o (I watch a lot of SEC football). I'll take your word that Te'o has more "special" qualities but I sure wouldn't count Minter out. I'm serious about Minter playing against some of the best competition college ball had to offer.

Admittedly, we all have to keep in mind that every draft pick is a crap shoot, because sometimes a college player simply can't cut it in the pros for one reason or another. That could be true for Te'o and/or Minter. It's going to be fun watching this next draft and I'm excited to see who the Vikings choose as their future MLB.
big deli Vike
Backup

Post by big deli Vike »

No Te'o. After playing a real football team in the BCS title, we found out he's slow, not that smart, and not a good tackle (Eddie Lacy had a field day). You want a linebacker, you go SEC. Minter or Ogletree. Olgetree will probably be gone but Minter is a pure tackler and hard hitter. Also, they say he reads the holes correctly. I cant say how tired i was seeing guys go up the gut on us and finding Brinkley or Henderson out of position. We need a force, Minter was and is the MLB we need
As far as leadership, we have Greenway and Williams to lead on defense, Minter would be a beautiful pick. Minter is a football player
dead_poet
Commissioner

Post by dead_poet »

big deli Vike wrote:No Te'o. After playing a real football team in the BCS title, we found out he's slow, not that smart, and not a good tackle (Eddie Lacy had a field day). You want a linebacker, you go SEC. Minter or Ogletree. Olgetree will probably be gone but Minter is a pure tackler and hard hitter. Also, they say he reads the holes correctly. I cant say how tired i was seeing guys go up the gut on us and finding Brinkley or Henderson out of position. We need a force, Minter was and is the MLB we need
As far as leadership, we have Greenway and Williams to lead on defense, Minter would be a beautiful pick. Minter is a football player
FWIW, Gruden said that both Minter and Ogletree struggled against Alabama too.
“Some people think football is a matter of life and death. I assure you, it's much more serious than that.” --- Bill Shankly
big deli Vike
Backup

Post by big deli Vike »

FWIW, Gruden said that both Minter and Ogletree struggled against Alabama too.[/quote]

but when you figure in the intense games that they both played week in, week out, (minus the obvious LA Tech state western University college games). bama scored 21 points against LSU, Minter was a factor that whole game by the fact that neither bama RB went over 100 (166 combined but thats still college yardage). Olgetree is after MInter in my mind.Also gruden could say that but, be may be rooting for Teo. Vikings need a gamer. Minter is a beast
Texas Vike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by Texas Vike »

Solid read on Vikes' Tampa 2 scheme and what we need at MLB:

http://www.dailynorseman.com/2013/3/26/ ... inebackers
dead_poet
Commissioner

Post by dead_poet »

Texas Vike wrote:Solid read on Vikes' Tampa 2 scheme and what we need at MLB:

Thanks for the link. Not a very positive review of Minter.
Demi
Commissioner

Post by Demi »

Arthur Brown or bust!
dead_poet
Commissioner

Post by dead_poet »

Arthur Brown - LB - Wildcats

Scouts Inc.'s Todd McShay did not include Kansas State's Arthur Brown among the five 4-3 LBs in his updated two-round mock draft.

Dion Jordan, Alec Ogletree, Manti Te'o, Kevin Minter, and Sio Moore were the five who made the top 62 selections. This worries us a bit, since Brown has dealt with a shoulder issue throughout the draft process despite not missing a game during his time at Kansas State. We think his talent warrants a first-round pick.
Source: ESPN

---
I like LB Arthur Brown a lot, but do understand if some have durability questions...sidelined at the Senior Bowl due to his shoulder injury
Brown couldn't bench at the Combine due to the shoulder, but didn't run or do drills because of an injured left quad, not just the shoulder
RT @MarkJL07 Never missed a game >> Which speaks a lot about Brown's toughness at KSU. Durability not huge concern IMO, but will be for some
Dane Brugler ‏on Twitter
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

dead_poet wrote:Arthur Brown - LB - Wildcats

Scouts Inc.'s Todd McShay did not include Kansas State's Arthur Brown among the five 4-3 LBs in his updated two-round mock draft.

Dion Jordan, Alec Ogletree, Manti Te'o, Kevin Minter, and Sio Moore were the five who made the top 62 selections. This worries us a bit, since Brown has dealt with a shoulder issue throughout the draft process despite not missing a game during his time at Kansas State. We think his talent warrants a first-round pick.

I've seen quite a few mocks where he's not projected as a first round pick, although if McShay doesn't even have him in the first two rounds, that seems a little unusual. It just goes to show how much opinions vary and change regarding these players as the draft approaches.

Thanks for the info.
The Breeze
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by The Breeze »

Texas Vike wrote:Solid read on Vikes' Tampa 2 scheme and what we need at MLB:

Great link.

Makes sense why the best Tampa 2 MLBs were converted safeties. Sounds like much of their responsibility emphasizes those of a safety rather than a traditional MLB. It also stresses the importance of a dominant nose tackle for this defense. If the middle if the D-line is soft-ish the MLB is compromised....if i'm understanding it correctly. Makes him more susceptible to draws and play action fakes.

Don't know if I'm sold on any of these guys as a first rounder.

Te'o seems to be the smartest and has the best body....but I don't think our scheme plays to his strengths.

I'm liking Arthur Brown, but concerned about his size and how that affects his physical impact in the run game. Maybe he'll be around in rd 2.

Jake Knott might be a guy to grab on day two.....there doesn't seem to be a whole lot of good film on him for public perusing. But the short bit I did see of him reminded me a little of Harrison Smith as far as his energy making plays on the ball/ball carrier. And it just may be that the best fit for the Cover2 MLB is a guy who played outside or safety in college.

Ogletree is the guy who seems to have the first round talent...and he's the only one IMO that I've seen who has the real "IT" quality. (Although, Te'o is a quality player) But I think Ogletree needs to get a lot stronger and there's no way I want them to draft a guy who steals scooter helmets and gets DUI's before the combine. :wallbang: Which is a shame...because he could very well go on and have a spotless career and all kinds of accolades.

The fact that a couple other teams will be in the market for the same position will make the draft even more interesting. I think there is a strong possibility that we get our guy in the second round and that we grab a guy for the D- line or the secondary with one of the 1st rd picks.
I'm kinda hoping they sign a vet (Dansby?) after the draft as well.
dead_poet
Commissioner

Post by dead_poet »

Kevin Minter - LB - Player

LSU ILB Kevin Minter ran forty times of 4.67 and 4.72 at the Tigers' Pro Day.

The times are improvements on Minter's 4.81 at the Combine, although LSU has a faster track than Lucas Oil Stadium. Minter goes 6-foot, 246 and posted a 34 1/2-inch vertical. We expect him to be a top-75 pick in April's draft.
Source: NFL.com
dead_poet
Commissioner

Post by dead_poet »

Kansas State LB Arthur Brown "is looking more and more like a top 32 pick," according to USA Today's Tony Pauline.

It is about time. Brown is a top-15 talent in this class and projects as a weakside linebacker in a four man front or inside due to his aggression and strength at the point of attack. We aren't sure what took so long, possibly his lack of participation in the Senior Bowl due to a shoulder injury, but Brown is an absolute stud.
Source: TFY Draft Insider

---

After watching one final tape on Kansas State's Arthur Brown, former NFL scout Daniel Jeremiah considers the LB a top of the second-round talent.

"Sideline-to-sideline range, instinctive, productive," Jeremiah tweeted. "Inconsistent take-on player." Brown isn't of ideal size for an inside linebacker, but we think his aggression and strength to shed makes up for his "undersized" frame. He is an immediate starter.
Source: Daniel Jeremiah on Twitter
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

dead_poet wrote:Arthur Brown - LB - Wildcats

Kansas State LB Arthur Brown "is looking more and more like a top 32 pick," according to USA Today's Tony Pauline.

It is about time. Brown is a top-15 talent in this class...
I swear, I think I've read that at least 30 players in this draft are "top 15" talents.
After watching one final tape on Kansas State's Arthur Brown, former NFL scout Daniel Jeremiah considers the LB a top of the second-round talent.
There we go! There's ammo for those who want to complain if the Vikes pass him up in the first round and ammo for those who want to consider him a reach. :)

Sorry, I don't mean to sound cynical and based on what I know, I actually think Brown is a good prospect. It's just interesting to see how much opinions on these players end up varying.