MLB prospects

Talk about the latest College games and players and discuss the NFL Draft here. Get reports on players, prospects, Draft Links, the latest Mock Drafts and other indepth analysis, plus the latest on the NCAA College games.

Moderator: Moderators

dead_poet
Commissioner

Re: MLB prospects

Post by dead_poet »

Teo-40: 4.81 (first attempt). Not very explosive.
“Some people think football is a matter of life and death. I assure you, it's much more serious than that.” --- Bill Shankly
VikingLord
Hall of Famer

Post by VikingLord »

dead_poet wrote:Teo-40: 4.81 (first attempt). Not very explosive.
I continue to struggle with why Teo is considered such a great LB prospect by many. I've watched the guy play, watched his highlight videos, and I just don't see why people think he's a special player. A good player, yes. A solid player, absolutely. But a 1st round draft pick? I don't see it.
dead_poet
Commissioner

Post by dead_poet »

“Some people think football is a matter of life and death. I assure you, it's much more serious than that.” --- Bill Shankly
J. Kapp 11
Hall of Famer

Post by J. Kapp 11 »

dead_poet wrote:Teo-40: 4.81 (first attempt). Not very explosive.
Interesting.

That's the exact same 40 time Audie Cole recorded at last year's combine.
Go ahead. I dare you.
Underestimate this man.
HardcoreVikesFan
Hall of Famer

Post by HardcoreVikesFan »

Jon Bostic: 4.61 officially. (He had a 4.50 unofficially at one point).

Draft him Minnesota!
A Randy Moss fan for life. A Kevin Williams fan for life.
Rus
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by Rus »

Just to point out...the one thing about middle linebacker is that in most schemes, you don't care as much about speed as you do about instincts/leadership/intangibles.

However, in Alan Williams's defense (and Frazier's before that...all the way back to Tony Dungy himself...and I'm sure Singletary has a big say here), it's a big plus if they've also got good wheels to drop back into coverage. So the Vikings may not target a guy that other teams have higher on their draft board and may be rated higher...or they may target an OLB with speed/strength/instincts that they really like and move him inside.

Ogletree would be a good choice...but...his off the field stuff is going to make him drop. Maybe right into the Vikings hands, but maybe he'll drop further. Jelani Jenkins could be a possibility, he could slide inside maybe in Williams's scheme. Kevin Minter might be a possibility, too...he's a heck of a good linebacker. Bostic has good speed and agility, most people thought that would be a problem for him prior to the combine from what I've read. He's probably worked himself up into a second or third round pick. I think he's fairly underrated, and if the Vikings go the WR route in the first (Te'o having a terrible combine + Ogletree's off the field problems = tough decision), he could be a steal in the second.

Still, if the Vikings are stuck with Brinkley again, I don't think they're completely screwed...but Jasper right now is a player with a fair amount of athletic talent who makes a lot of dumb mistakes. He can work on those, but his instincts are off way too often and teams shouldn't be able to run right up the gut whenever they want on the Vikings, even if Williams is a little over the hill. A good middle should be able to stuff the run better and not lose so many yards. He gets out of place, then runs back down to make the tackle (and he certainly makes a fair amount of those, but sometimes you want quality over quantity there). He doesn't seem to read the offense very well. It's a lot of inexperienced player type of stuff, but it's also stuff that guys learn when they play in high school. Some guys can do it, some can't. Those who can are middle linebackers. Those who can't play outside.
-Rus
dead_poet
Commissioner

Post by dead_poet »

I'm gonna go ahead and put this out there...Arthur Brown is Ray Lewis. I know that's ludicrous to compare, but that's how I see AB in NFL.
NFL Philosophy on Twitter

Arthur Brown puts up strong numbers
After a shoulder injury withheld Kansas State linebacker Arthur Brown from both the Senior Bowl and the 2013 NFL Combine, he took part in a much-anticipated full workout at the K-State Pro Day on Tuesday.

The No. 15 overall prospect and top inside linebacker in the latest rankings from SB Nation's Dan Kadar, Brown was certainly the headliner of the event and drew a crowd of NFL scouts.

Brown did not disappoint, running between a 4.58- and 4.62-second 40-yard dash and posting a 32.5-inch vertical jump. Perhaps most impressive, Brown got in 21 reps on the bench press, helping to assuage any concerns over the health of his shoulder.

In the latest mock draft from Kadar, Brown is slated to be selected by the Green Bay Packers with the 26th selection in the first round.
http://www.sbnation.com/nfl-mock-draft/ ... thur-brown

---
K-State LB Arthur Brown 'blew up' his pro day

According to draft insider Tony Pauline, Kansas State LB Arthur Brown "blew up" his pro day workout.

We already blurbed that Brown weighed in at 236 pounds and recorded 21 bench press reps, a notable number since some of have speculated he is dealing with a shoulder injury. Brown's forty time ranged from 4.58 to 4.62 seconds and during the workout he "was sensational, showing a quick change of direction and losing no momentum altering his angle of attack," Pauline writes. "He was fast in every direction and really solid in ball drills." We consider him a top 10 talent, although he might be selected much later.
Source: TFY Draft Insider
dead_poet
Commissioner

Post by dead_poet »

mrc44 wrote:Arthur brown has been my favorite lb in the draft, I hope we grab him at 25. I don't think it is really a tech considering how well he has been looking. Plus... He looks good in purple :smilevike:
I've watched some tape on him and from my untrained eye he looks pretty solid. Problem is he's been ranked in the top-10 overall to a second rounder. Will be interesting where he lands.
petev_sj
Veteran

Post by petev_sj »

Minter is the under 6'0 MLB that can sneak in behind taller DL. I think he will rack up the most tackles in his career vs all the other MLB in this year's draft.

Ogletree, from scouting reports, is the best drop back and cover MLB in this draft.

I am fine with either guys, depending on which role the MLB plays in the Vikings Cover 2 scheme.
dead_poet
Commissioner

Post by dead_poet »

Arthur Brown - LB - Player
Kansas State LB Arthur Brown ran forty times in the 4.58-4.62 range at the Wildcats' Pro Day.

Brown didn't work out at the Combine due to a shoulder injury. He proceeded to "blow up" his Pro Day workout, according to NFL Draft insider Tony Pauline, tipping the scales at 6-foot-1, 236 and repping 225 pounds 21 times on the bench press. He was reportedly "sensational" in drill work. Writes Pauline of Brown, "We are hearing late-first round is now a possibility."
Source: TFY Draft Insider Mar 18 - 3:12 PM
Texas Vike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by Texas Vike »

dead_poet wrote:Arthur Brown - LB - Player
Kansas State LB Arthur Brown ran forty times in the 4.58-4.62 range at the Wildcats' Pro Day.

Brown didn't work out at the Combine due to a shoulder injury. He proceeded to "blow up" his Pro Day workout, according to NFL Draft insider Tony Pauline, tipping the scales at 6-foot-1, 236 and repping 225 pounds 21 times on the bench press. He was reportedly "sensational" in drill work. Writes Pauline of Brown, "We are hearing late-first round is now a possibility."
Source: TFY Draft Insider Mar 18 - 3:12 PM

I hope the Vikings take a good long look at him.
Texas Vike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by Texas Vike »

Interesting read through and through. This last section addresses the notion of rolling with a rookie MLB.

http://www.startribune.com/sports/vikin ... page=2&c=y
The Vikings are in need of a starting middle linebacker.

What’s the story? The Vikings opted to let last year’s starter Jasper Brinkley move on. That created a very important opening.

It’s unlikely the Vikings will make much if any push at 34-year-old free agent Brian Urlacher. So now it looks as if the draft will be the place to find a possible playmaker (LSU’s Kevin Minter? Notre Dame’s Manti Te’o?) to sandwich between Chad Greenway and Erin Henderson.

Wanted most: a guy who can play all three downs, show solid coverage skills in the nickel and be an instant communicator.

What Frazier said: “Without question, we need leadership. That guy has to be an extension of our defensive coordinator, Alan Williams. He’s got to be able to not only run our defense, but communicate, get guys lined up, earn the respect of his teammates. … It can be scary [to turn that over to a rookie]. But it depends on the rookie. You have to measure the maturity and how far along that guy is and make your call.”
dead_poet
Commissioner

Post by dead_poet »

The Tape Never Lies: Alec Ogletree lacks the willingness to be consistently physical
When a traditional NFL scout rolls the film of Alec Ogletree’s games, he’ll probably become quickly upset. Ogletree, an inside linebacker in Georgia’s 3-4 defense, is somewhat allergic to physicality.

He’s not particularly fond of offensive linemen combination blocking him at the second level, which is evident by his reluctance to use his hands to avoid the blocks. At times, he’ll just stand and get blocked out of the play. Just watch the SEC Championship game against Alabama. On some running downs, it’s like he wasn’t even playing as he’s moved out of middle of the field like a truck cleaning a snowy road.

Yet some consider him the top inside linebacker in this class. He’s probably not for some scouts, such as the aforementioned traditionalists. They’re looking for a certain toughness, a specific physicality, and most importantly, an all-in willingness to defend the run. He’ll have to bring all three traits to the pros if he plans on making a living playing football.
Full post: http://blogs.thescore.com/nfl/2013/03/2 ... -physical/
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

dead_poet wrote:The Tape Never Lies: Alec Ogletree lacks the willingness to be consistently physical
Full post: http://blogs.thescore.com/nfl/2013/03/2 ... -physical/

I hope the Vikings stay FAR away from Ogletree. There's way too much risk there to pull the trigger and draft him.
VikingLord
Hall of Famer

Post by VikingLord »

Mothman wrote: I hope the Vikings stay FAR away from Ogletree. There's way too much risk there to pull the trigger and draft him.
Spielman has already extolled the virtues of Ogletree IIRC, so if he's still there at #23 I'd be shocked if the Vikes pass on him.

His character concerns are a big deal, and I hope if the Vikes do take him they find a way to bring him along slowly rather than quickly. That's hard to do when you spend a 1st on a guy and you have no incumbent, but maybe the Vikes can shuffle things around or find a vet in FA that can help bring him along.