WRs to watch

Talk about the latest College games and players and discuss the NFL Draft here. Get reports on players, prospects, Draft Links, the latest Mock Drafts and other indepth analysis, plus the latest on the NCAA College games.

Moderator: Moderators

Texas Vike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Re: WRs to watch

Post by Texas Vike »

PurpleMustReign wrote:
Where is Patterson projected right now? His highlight film was pretty entertaining.

He seems to be one of those guys that is jumping all over the place, from late 2nd to mid 1st round. I think this is due to his very obvious raw talent despite somewhat limited production.

"Patterson currently ranks as NFLDraftScout.com's No. 7 WR for the 2013 NFL Draft and is considered a second-round pick. Although still unpolished as a route runner, Patterson has explosive ability with the ball in his hands with excellent acceleration and vision to weave through defenses.
Patterson transferred to Tennessee prior to the 2012 season from Hutchinson (Kan.) Community College. The 6-foot-3, 205-pound receiver finished this season second on the team with 46 catches for 778 yards and five touchdowns, earning first-team All-SEC honors. He also had three rushing touchdowns and two scores on special teams, one punt return touchdown and one kick return for a score."
PurpleMustReign
Starting Wide Receiver

Post by PurpleMustReign »

mrc44 wrote:Brandon Coleman, 6'5" 220lbs, dude looks FAST for being that tall. I highly suggest watching the video

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8zhPTLZ3Tdc
Where is he projected?
The Devil whispered in the Viking's ear, "There's a storm coming." The Viking replied, "I am the storm." ‪#‎SKOL2018
dead_poet
Commissioner

Post by dead_poet »

Keenan Allen - WR - Player

According to NFL Draft insider Tony Pauline, Cal WR Keenan Allen has "not looked anything special" in pre-Combine workouts and "failed to separate himself" from the receivers he's training with.

Allen has reportedly not showed the "wow" factor typically associated with a high draft pick, according to Pauline's sources. Allen, listed at 6-foot-3, 210, is coming off a knee injury that cut his junior season three games short. As a sophomore in 2011, Allen racked up 98 receptions, 1,343 yards, and six TDs.
Source: TFY Draft Insider
“Some people think football is a matter of life and death. I assure you, it's much more serious than that.” --- Bill Shankly
dead_poet
Commissioner

Post by dead_poet »

Cal WR Keenan Allen will not participate in this week's NFL Scouting Combine due to a lingering left knee injury.

Allen suffered a Grade 2 PCL tear in late October and missed the final three games of his college career. His recovery is going on four months now, which is concerning. Allen experienced swelling in pre-Combine training, and will have a March 11 followup exam with Dr. James Andrews. He'll only run routes at Cal's Pro Day, but has tentatively scheduled a personal workout for the first week of April to run the forty-yard dash. Allen's forty time is crucial because NFL evaluators have questions about his long speed.
Source: CBS Sports
“Some people think football is a matter of life and death. I assure you, it's much more serious than that.” --- Bill Shankly
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

dead_poet wrote:Keenan Allen - WR - Player

Cal WR Keenan Allen will not participate in this week's NFL Scouting Combine due to a lingering left knee injury.

Allen suffered a Grade 2 PCL tear in late October and missed the final three games of his college career. His recovery is going on four months now, which is concerning. Allen experienced swelling in pre-Combine training, and will have a March 11 followup exam with Dr. James Andrews. He'll only run routes at Cal's Pro Day, but has tentatively scheduled a personal workout for the first week of April to run the forty-yard dash. Allen's forty time is crucial because NFL evaluators have questions about his long speed.

Interesting. This is the sort of thing that could drop him out of the first round.
VikingLord
Hall of Famer

Post by VikingLord »

dead_poet wrote:Keenan Allen - WR - Player

According to NFL Draft insider Tony Pauline, Cal WR Keenan Allen has "not looked anything special" in pre-Combine workouts and "failed to separate himself" from the receivers he's training with.

Allen has reportedly not showed the "wow" factor typically associated with a high draft pick, according to Pauline's sources. Allen, listed at 6-foot-3, 210, is coming off a knee injury that cut his junior season three games short. As a sophomore in 2011, Allen racked up 98 receptions, 1,343 yards, and six TDs.
Source: TFY Draft Insider
I know Allen gets a lot of press as one of the top WR prospects in this year's draft, but I'd rather have Hunter than him. Both apparently have knee issues, but Hunter has demonstrated an ability to impact the way a defense plays more than Allen IMHO. That's just based on watching college highlights of both.

Hunter's stock seems to be hovering in the late 2nd round-range right now, which is perfect if Spielman doesn't pick up a WR in the 1st.
dead_poet
Commissioner

Post by dead_poet »

Keenan Allen - WR - Golden Bears

Draft guru Mike Mayock compares Cal WR Keenan Allen to Baltimore Ravens WR Anquan Boldin.

"If you like him, he's Anquan Boldin," Mayock said. "If you don't like him, he's speed deficient." He notes that the "only" question teams have with Allen is his speed. Allen won't be running at the NFL Combine due to a PCL injury in his left knee.
Source: Mercury News

---
Chris Harper - WR - Wildcats

Scouts Inc.'s Matt Williamson likes Kansas State WR Chris Harper in the top 40.

Williamson's comment comes a couple of days after The Sideline View's Lance Zierlein said Harper is a target for the Houston Texans outside of the second round. Nevertheless, Harper's stock seems to be rising. He compares favorably to Anquan Boldin.
Source: Matt Williamson on Twitter

---
DeAndre Hopkins - WR - Tigers

Clemson WR's coach Jeff Scott said WR DeAndre Hopkins still has room to grow physically.

"He has not physically reached his ceiling yet," Scott said. "He still has two more years of physical development in the weight room before he reaches his ceiling. As far as the ball skills and being able to go out and play, I have no doubt that he has the ability." Scott believes his potential makes him a "steal" in the draft.
Source: Milwaukee Journal Sentinal
Texas Vike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by Texas Vike »

mrc44 wrote:Im voting Deandre Hopkins for Purple, the fact that he has room to physically grow.. if he rund a 4.43 or under, hit him with the 23rd pick overall. That kids hands are beautiful and so are his routes.

Here are his listed weaknesses on NFL.com:

Has room to bulk... PERFECT.
Some time in the weight room should fix that, along with the room to bulk
Well we have PH for the short passes, no need to worry about that, lol
Will need to be more consistently physical in the blocking game at the next level.
bulk, again.

NOW THE STRENGTHS :x
STRENGTHS Presents good height and length for an outside receiver, also has some lower-body strength for explosion off the line of scrimmage and in his cuts. Solid route-runner used in the short, intermediate, and deep games, who has flexibility to avoid corners in zone and the quick feet to separate on hitches, comebacks, and other cuts. Does a nice job creating separation and deceiving defensive backs with head fakes and quick moves. Will threaten the top of defenses with NFL-quality straight-line speed. Possesses strong hands in traffic, not afraid of contact downfield and can separate at the last second with an arm extension. Agile enough to quickly avoid oncoming defenders after the catch yet remain balanced to head downfield for the big gain. Does not go down without a fight, can run through arm tackle attempts from cornerbacks. Snatches throws with his hands, even those within his frame. Concentrates on the ball throughout difficult catches and extends his long arms to make a big radius. Sells double-moves well with a head fake and body lean. Very good body control to contort his body on catches and pluck the ball out of the air, keep one foot in-bounds on the sideline. Effective run blocker, usually reaches his target and gets his hands up, uses correct blocking angle to sustain; also shows some nastiness at times, capable of putting his man to the ground. Consistently productive over his time at Clemson, improving his stats each season
Just need a 4.4 40 from him and I think he is a great pick at 23. (that's if the top player at every position is already gone, including Patterson).[/quote]

Hopkins looks solid. My only concern is the type of competition he's played against. Duke's DBs don't measure up.

Patterson gets a lot of hype, but I have a few reservations. He still needs a couple of years of development from what I can tell. Here's a pretty solid breakdown of his strengths and weaknesses: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CaE0Kqr3WCM
dead_poet
Commissioner

Post by dead_poet »

Da'Rick Rogers - WR - Player

Tennessee Tech WR Da'Rick Rogers admitted at the Combine to three failed drug tests that got him kicked out of the University of Tennessee.

"I did it to myself," said a seemingly-truly contrite Rogers. "You have to accept responsibility for what you did and move forward. All I can do is come in, work hard and get my foot in the door." Rogers claims to have passed "10 drug tests" during his one season at Tennessee Tech. In terms of sheer on-field ability, he's arguably the most talented wideout in the 2013 NFL draft.
Texas Vike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by Texas Vike »

mrc44 wrote: step 1: admitting :rofl:
no but seriously this kid could be a great pick up in a late round because no one is really talking about him, not in Mayock's top 5 and haven't seen him on any mock drafts going in the 1st.

I would definitely take him over Hunter. JMO, health > off the field (in this case)
What drug did they catch him using (3 times)? We already have Simpson and Percy, both of whom have had issues with weed. I'd sure like a guy with a clean record and solid character for once. I like Williams and Hopkins an awful lot.
dead_poet
Commissioner

Post by dead_poet »

Appearing on NFL Live Friday, ex-Colts president Bill Polian compared Cal WR Keenan Allen to Reggie Wayne.

Polian knows Wayne pretty well. "When I see Keenan Allen," said Polian, "I see Reggie Wayne." Like Wayne, Allen is considered a quality route runner who sharply gets in and out of his breaks. He's projected as a late first-round pic
Texas Vike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by Texas Vike »

mrc44 wrote:
Ya but I'm talking like round 3 if we get a pick, obviously Hopkins I think is the best wr in this draft. He is more developed than Patterson but Patterson has a higher ceiling. Williams I like about as much as Patton and woods. Woods played in a division 1 which I think gives him more of an upside.
Honestly, I don't think it fits w/ Spielman's MO.

I found this on Rogers: http://bleacherreport.com/articles/4501 ... its/page/5
"He was one of several Tennessee players involved in a serious bar brawl in Knoxville that left one police office unconscious after several kicks to the head.

The school has taken no official action toward Rogers yet, but the latest police reports indicate that he allegedly assaulted a man during the brawl. He was arrested on disorderly conduct and resisting arrest charges."

Both Williams and Woods played D1. Big 12 is just as solid as Pac 10; possibly better. The high # of total failure WRs from USC scares me too.
Demi
Commissioner

Post by Demi »

No thanks. Let's quit with these head cases while we're ahead (Well, not quite yet, but hopefully soon). We have 52 guys without serious issues, let's keep it that way, not bring in more.
Texas Vike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by Texas Vike »

mrc44 wrote: Ya but what Baylor WR have turned out great? Josh Gordon?, Kendall Wright? USC has produce crappy WR and HOF WR soit goes both ways.

I just don't care at all for Williams choice to fall down on every play. He can't seem to break away in the open field, everyone catches up, NO YAC. I do like him a lot and would love to have him on the team but I take Woods over Williams. Woods fights for extra yards, which we need.

Woods:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1aLPm38LBwg
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=va3cuLHgIbQ
Williams:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H6J7iqDEsS8

Almost every play Woods is breaking tackles, he is not scared.
1. Every time you type "Ya" I feel like I'm in the movie Fargo, or simply like I'm back home in Minny. Loving that.

2. I admit to having a deep bias against USC. I was a huge Longhorn fan when they beat USC in the Rose bowl for the national title. I pretty much hate USC.

3. Woods, honestly, looks solid. His speed might be suspect, but it looks to me like he has enough talent to make that a moot point. The couple of USC games that I watched this season I remember that the other receiver (Marquis Lee) was much more impressive. Like Tennessee, though, USC has an abundance of talent at the position, which can make it difficult to judge the relative merit of any one WR of the group. No single one stands out.

4. I still like Williams a lot after watching the video you posted. In fact, I like him more! We already have YAC guys--once Percy's signed we have the best one in the league. We could use Williams' talents. He gets beyond DB coverage, in the end zone or on the sideline, and makes difficult catches look easy. He doesn't NEED to break tackles because he's already scored a TD or made a diving catch or caught a difficult ball on the sideline. I see him as a great compliment to PH, Jarius Wright and Rudolph.

5. One WR I hope the Vikes consider later (rounds 4-7) is TCU's Josh Boyce. Even w/ the loss of starting QB Casey Pachall this year he had solid production. Boykin, the freshman QB that came in for Pachall, wasn't much of a thrower initially, otherwise Boyce's #s would have been even better. Boyce is deceptively fast, sure-handed, and as you can see very, very strong.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tey0mfnNKJI
Texas Vike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by Texas Vike »

mrc44 wrote: I am in california, sorry to burst your bubble but that made me laugh when you said that.

I HATE USC, with a passion as well, I dont really have a favorite college team, just players. But I never root for USC, Root for Oregon, Oregon st. and Cal.
I think tomorrow, if he runs a 4.4 it will answer all the ?s about speed. The problem was that Kiffen (cant stand him) designed basically the whole playbook around Lee once he showed up so Woods actually didn't get to show us everything he had during his time with Lee. Even Barkley has stated that the majority of the playbook was focused on Lee. The only positive out of that was being able to see whether Woods has any kind of blocking ability down field for AP.
I can agree with you to some extent, but we dont know if PH is going to be back, so I have been approaching the WR roster without PH, because If we dont have him, we will definitely be drafting a couple WR's this year to make an impact immediately. But if we were to go the Deep threat route, I like Hopkins a lot, and he is already physically bigger than he was a month ago. "Nuke" is my favorite WR in this draft, and he has a great demeanor, barely celebrates and doesn't get cocky, lets his game show how good he is. Always catches the ball at the peak. Kid is amazing.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=13cTixvMEos
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bVWm9pNiXYY
I like Cobi Hamilton for late round
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PFCFdJ6BR-Y

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jx-isZncztk
Ya, but yer typing teacher must've been from da iron range!

Funny... I suppose "ya" is shorter than "yeah".

How late is Cobi Hamilton likely to be available?

When do the WRs run their 40s at the combine? Is it as we type?