Cordarrelle Patterson

Talk about the latest College games and players and discuss the NFL Draft here. Get reports on players, prospects, Draft Links, the latest Mock Drafts and other indepth analysis, plus the latest on the NCAA College games.

Moderator: Moderators

Vikes99
Waterboy

Re: Cordarrelle Patterson

Post by Vikes99 »

Cordarrelle Patterson is a solid wideout, but basically every mock draft I have seen says he is gone by our pick, and he will be the first WR off the board if he runs well at the combine.

I think we should look at his teammate Justin Hunter at Tennessee, he has superstar potential, and the only thing holding him back is the fact that he tore an ACL in 2011.

He came back and had a great season anyway in 2012, we can make AD be his "ACL Mentor" and finally have a deep threat.

Check out this 2013 NFL DRAFT BIG BOARD from Sportsmasher.com it gives a lot of detail on the top 70 or so prospects. Hunter included:

http://sportsmasher.com/2013/02/08/2013 ... rsion-1-0/

:rock: :rock: :rock:
VikingLord
Hall of Famer

Post by VikingLord »

mrc44 wrote:I would never want Hunter on this team, not because I don't think he will be good, I just don't think our 1st round pic should go towards a player who has already torn his ACL. If any injured player it would be Allen from Cal. He is not as fast as Patterson but he has better hands and runs better routes. Allen is amazing, but I would prefer we just draft BPA in 1st round (which very well could be WR , but I think its DT), and then grab the Baylor boy in the 2nd, who I believe is the big boddied WR we need opposite someone like PH, if he stays.
The only problem I have with going DT in this draft is the position is so deep it's hard to tell who the BPA at DT is, much less who the BPA at DT might be when the Vikings are on the clock. There are likely to be decent options at that position well into the 3rd round this year, so while it's fashionable for the mocks to go DT for the Vikings with their first, I don't see it. I'd say it's more likely the Vikes will go MLB with Ogletree if he's there, Patterson at WR if he's there, or Elam at safety if he's there. I could also see them going with Warmack at guard although I doubt he'll still be there, but they might also go OG there with another highly-rated OL prospect if they feel the right man is still on the board (like the guard from North Carolina whose name escapes me...). The offense Frazier wants to run requires great blocking, and the guard play for the Vikings last year was anything but great. The need is there and Spielman might surprise a lot of people by grabbing a guy he feels might be flying a bit under the radar due to the perceived value of the position.
dead_poet
Commissioner

Post by dead_poet »

fiestavike wrote: Wouldn't upset me. Warmack is my first choice out of any player in the draft that I would like to see the Vikings add. I'm sure he will be gone by 23 though.
Yeah. I'd be surprised if he gets out of the top 15.
“Some people think football is a matter of life and death. I assure you, it's much more serious than that.” --- Bill Shankly
dead_poet
Commissioner

Post by dead_poet »

fiestavike wrote: If he's there at 16-20 do you consider trading up for him?
Yes. Some have said he's one of the few "blue chip" players in this draft. But it depends on the cost and who the Vikes' have on their board. At 20, I'd inquire. Much higher than that and it'd probably be cost-prohibitive.
“Some people think football is a matter of life and death. I assure you, it's much more serious than that.” --- Bill Shankly
HardcoreVikesFan
Hall of Famer

Post by HardcoreVikesFan »

This year's wide receiver class has no clear cut favorite to go number one overall. I feel like this year will be very similar to the class five years ago. Not in terms of there being no first round WR, but I feel that once one of the WRs are picked, there will be a run on WR. The ultimate question is who will be that top guy?
A Randy Moss fan for life. A Kevin Williams fan for life.
dead_poet
Commissioner

Post by dead_poet »

Watched & charted six games of #Tennessee WR Cordarrelle Patterson today. When you say 'play', I say 'maker.' Full writeup late tonight. No way he lasts to Rams at 22
Evan Silva on Twitter
VikingLord
Hall of Famer

Post by VikingLord »

The nice thing about this year's draft at most positions where the Vikings could use substantial improvement is that one impact guy at at least one of the positions looks to be there at #23 and possibly much later into the 1st or early 2nd. If we're talking WR, one of the top guys is going to be there or might slip. If we're talking DT, LB, DB, or OL, one of the top guys is going to be there or might slip. In fact, depending on who they are targeting, Spielman might even be able to trade down and still get a guy that can come in and play right away. Most of the positions the Vikings have immediate needs at are also some of the deepest positions in this year's draft, while some teams drafting early in the 2nd might feel the need to move up for a guy who plays a position that isn't as deep and where a run might be going by the time #23 comes up.

I wouldn't be surprised at all if Spielman's reference to coming up with some extra picks is about that possibility more than trading Harvin.
dead_poet
Commissioner

Post by dead_poet »

NFL Network's Mike Mayock said his "jaw dropped" after studying Tennessee WR Cordarrelle Patterson on tape.

"The one kid I'm really interested in seeing run (at the Combine) is the Patterson kid from Tennessee," said Mayock. "You heard me say earlier I haven't seen any really explosive difference makers (in this draft); This kid's only played one year of Division-I football. And I put the tape on, my jaw dropped. And he's big. ... He's 6-foot-3, 200-plus pounds, and he flies. And he makes people miss all over the field. All I know is his ceiling could be really exciting because he's so darn raw. And I can't wait to see him run." Feb 14 - 2:27 PM
Source: The Rich Eisen Podcast
dead_poet
Commissioner

Post by dead_poet »

Evan Silva's breakdown of Patterson:

Patterson the Playmaker
Cordarrelle Patterson is a freak. There were times he looked genuinely un-tackle-able on tape. I charted him with 29 open-field opportunities across six games. He made the first defender miss on 20 of them. Many receivers are explosive vertically and run fast in a straight line. Patterson is explosive both vertically and laterally, and physical as all get out. I loved how he got skinny through tight spaces, regularly sending would-be tacklers grasping at air as they left their feet. Patterson's run-after-catch ability might be the best I have ever seen from a college wide receiver.
http://www.rotoworld.com/articles/cfb/4 ... -playmaker
saint33
All Pro Elite Player

Post by saint33 »

this has been the guy I've wanted all along. He's the #1 WR we need. It's a shame he's starting to gain a lot of attention. I though his rawness might help him fall, somewhat like Demaryius Thomas who went at pick 22.
Texas Vike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by Texas Vike »

He's become every scout's darling rather quickly and for good reason. His elusiveness jumps off the tape. I'm starting to like the idea of going WR in the 2nd and 3rd or 2nd and one of our 4ths.

I think Williams from Baylor would be a great pick in the second. He's the opposite of Patterson in that he put up big numbers with two QBs (so you can't just point to the fact that he had RG3 throwing to him). I like that he runs the sidelines well. I think that would compliment Percy well. Decent size too (6-2, 200).
VikingLord
Hall of Famer

Post by VikingLord »

saint33 wrote:this has been the guy I've wanted all along. He's the #1 WR we need. It's a shame he's starting to gain a lot of attention. I though his rawness might help him fall, somewhat like Demaryius Thomas who went at pick 22.
Last Walter football mock had St. Louis taking Patterson at #22. If Patterson is still there at #22 then if I'm Spielman I make a move to swap spots with the Rams and get him. I'd be willing to throw in the first of the Vikings 4th rounders to make the swap and hopefully they feel good enough about their receivers and who is still there to drop down, or maybe they use their first 1st rounder on a WR and then Spielman can just sit on his hands and let Patterson drop into his lap.

If the Vikes somehow snag Patterson I will be as excited for their prospects next year as a I was the year they took Moss. Assuming everything ends up happy with Harvin, I can't even imagine how hard it would be for a defense to defend AD while having to contend with Harvin on one side and Patterson on the other, plus Rudolph in the middle. It would be very difficult given how effective both outside guys would be running after the catch. The safeties on both sides would have to sit back to ensure deep help and then AD can go off, and Musgrave doesn't even have to field any exotic looks to make it go.
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

VikingLord wrote:Last Walter football mock had St. Louis taking Patterson at #22. If Patterson is still there at #22 then if I'm Spielman I make a move to swap spots with the Rams and get him. I'd be willing to throw in the first of the Vikings 4th rounders to make the swap and hopefully they feel good enough about their receivers and who is still there to drop down, or maybe they use their first 1st rounder on a WR and then Spielman can just sit on his hands and let Patterson drop into his lap.

If the Vikes somehow snag Patterson I will be as excited for their prospects next year as a I was the year they took Moss. Assuming everything ends up happy with Harvin, I can't even imagine how hard it would be for a defense to defend AD while having to contend with Harvin on one side and Patterson on the other, plus Rudolph in the middle. It would be very difficult given how effective both outside guys would be running after the catch. The safeties on both sides would have to sit back to ensure deep help and then AD can go off, and Musgrave doesn't even have to field any exotic looks to make it go.
It would be nice to see him playing for the Vikings next year but I think they'll probably have to trade up quite a bit higher than #22 to get him. If he runs well at the combine, I'm guessing Patterson will move steadily up draft boards between now and April. I'm already seeing him projected in the top 15 in some mock drafts.
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

mrc44 wrote:Not only that, but Spielman LOVES to accumulate draft picks, so he would be more likely to trade his first away for extra picks, than to trade up.
I think you're right, although a trade up wouldn't be unprecedented.
J. Kapp 11
Hall of Famer

Post by J. Kapp 11 »

Just read Mike Mayock's list of the top 5 players at each position.

Patterson is Mayock's #1 rated WR.

Read Mayock's top 5 at each position.

I would love it if Patterson somehow ended up on the Vikings. Not only would it make the Vikings better, but I have to believe it would significantly improve our chances of keeping Percy Harvin.
Go ahead. I dare you.
Underestimate this man.