Jadeveon Clowney hit and fumble recovery. (Video)

Talk about the latest College games and players and discuss the NFL Draft here. Get reports on players, prospects, Draft Links, the latest Mock Drafts and other indepth analysis, plus the latest on the NCAA College games.

Moderator: Moderators

Juice
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Jadeveon Clowney hit and fumble recovery. (Video)

Post by Juice »

"They say no matter how hard you work, there's always someone, somewhere working harder than you. Guess what? I'm that someone." -Kevin Garnett
BGM
Hall of Famer

Re: Jadeveon Clowney hit and fumble recovery. (Video)

Post by BGM »

Yup. And coming on the heels of one of the very worst officiating mistakes ever! He certainly solidified his top five draft status.
"You can't be a real country unless you have a beer and an airline. It helps if you have some kind of a football team, or some nuclear weapons, but at the very least you need a beer." - Frank Zappa
PurpleMustReign
Starting Wide Receiver

Post by PurpleMustReign »

What happened the play before? I didnt see it..

Sent from my SGH-T769 using Tapatalk 2
The Devil whispered in the Viking's ear, "There's a storm coming." The Viking replied, "I am the storm." ‪#‎SKOL2018
BGM
Hall of Famer

Post by BGM »

The ref gave Michigan a first down on a measurement that was CLEARLY not a first down. The Wolverines ran a fake punt and came close to a first down. When the chain gang came out, the tip of the ball was a good three inches short of the chain, and the ref, for reasons known only to him, signaled a Michigan first down.
"You can't be a real country unless you have a beer and an airline. It helps if you have some kind of a football team, or some nuclear weapons, but at the very least you need a beer." - Frank Zappa
PurpleMustReign
Starting Wide Receiver

BGM wrote:The ref gave Michigan a first down on a measurement that was CLEARLY not a first down. The Wolverines ran a fake punt and came close to a first down. When the chain gang came out, the tip of the ball was a good three inches short of the chain, and the ref, for reasons known only to him, signaled a Michigan first down.
Wowmmi will be interested to see his explaination.

The Devil whispered in the Viking's ear, "There's a storm coming." The Viking replied, "I am the storm." ‪#‎SKOL2018
PurpleMustReign
Starting Wide Receiver

PurpleMustReign wrote: Wowmmi will be interested to see his explaination.

Lol, I typed that from my phone... I will be interested to see if there is an explanation on that call. That's pretty bad when you can't even do a measurement correctly.
PurpleMustReign
Starting Wide Receiver

80 PurplePride 84 wrote: In 2014. He's only a Sophomore.
Are they allowed to come out early in Football?
Barry
All Pro Elite Player

Post by Barry »

Ladies and Gentlemen, the beginning of the 2013 Heisman campaign!

Go Gamecocks!
Fan of:
Hanahan Hawks
South Carolina Gamecocks
Minnesota Vikings
Charleston Battery
FC Bayern München
USMNT & Die Nationalmannschaft
Barry
All Pro Elite Player

Post by Barry »

AT&T Player of the Year!
Fan of:
Hanahan Hawks
South Carolina Gamecocks
Minnesota Vikings
Charleston Battery
FC Bayern München
VikingLord
Hall of Famer

Post by VikingLord »

It's a massive hit for sure, but Michigan didn't even block the dude. Plus, he leads with his helmet and looks like he could have seriously hurt the running back. I mean, the dude's helmet doesn't just come off - it *pops* off.

Clowney does that in the pros and it will be 15 yards plus a big fine. Not to say it's a bad play or he did it intentionally, but as impressive as it looks, it's not all that impressive.
Barry
All Pro Elite Player

Post by Barry »

VikingLord wrote:It's a massive hit for sure, but Michigan didn't even block the dude. Plus, he leads with his helmet and looks like he could have seriously hurt the running back. I mean, the dude's helmet doesn't just come off - it *pops* off.

Clowney does that in the pros and it will be 15 yards plus a big fine. Not to say it's a bad play or he did it intentionally, but as impressive as it looks, it's not all that impressive.
I'll agree on the lack of blocking on that play. He had been pretty much double teamed and contained all day. The thing with him is it takes one play. In the Tennessee game he was kept out of the backfield all day and then on Tennessee's final drive he got the lone sack of the day and sealed the game.

On the hit we'll have to disagree. He hits him facemask to numbers. He came in low and was exploding up, that's what knocks the helmet off.

He's going to be fun to watch next season.
Fan of:
Hanahan Hawks
South Carolina Gamecocks
Minnesota Vikings
Charleston Battery
FC Bayern München
canadaviking08
Franchise Player

Post by canadaviking08 »

The guy is an absolute beast! Would love to see him in a vikings Uniform but will never happen
J. Kapp 11
Hall of Famer

Post by J. Kapp 11 »

VikingLord wrote:It's a massive hit for sure, but Michigan didn't even block the dude. Plus, he leads with his helmet and looks like he could have seriously hurt the running back. I mean, the dude's helmet doesn't just come off - it *pops* off.

Disagree 100% with pretty much everything you said.

Look at the replay at ground level from behind the running back. Lateral quickness is off the charts. They didn't block him because they couldn't ... Clowney went laterally from tackle to A-gap in about a half a nanosecond. Straight sideways off the snap and then upfield. The left tackle missed him by five feet. One of the most impressive plays you'll ever see.

And it was not a penalty. He hit the dude smack in the chest. The force knocked his helmet about 8 yards.
Go ahead. I dare you.
Underestimate this man.
VikingLord
Hall of Famer

Post by VikingLord »

J. Kapp 11 wrote: Disagree 100% with pretty much everything you said.

Look at the replay at ground level from behind the running back. Lateral quickness is off the charts. They didn't block him because they couldn't ... Clowney went laterally from tackle to A-gap in about a half a nanosecond. Straight sideways off the snap and then upfield. The left tackle missed him by five feet. One of the most impressive plays you'll ever see.

And it was not a penalty. He hit the dude smack in the chest. The force knocked his helmet about 8 yards.
OK, I looked at it again after your assessment because I wanted to see if I was off the mark and I partially agree with what you're saying.

Based on the post-snap movement of the blockers and even where the LT and the LG are looking pre-snap, it appears that neither the LT nor LG was assigned to block the RDE (Clowney) on the the play. Both fire out into the 2nd level of the defense and appear set to block the 2 nearest LBs on the play.

I think its safe to assume that someone was assigned to the RDE on the play as it appears the play is designed to go in that direction. The next logical choice is the full back. It appears he could certainly have at least impeded the RDE, but he instead flares wide to block the DB who is up at the line.

So after looking at it more, it appears the guy who was supposed to block Clowney on the play is the RG. He pulls and tries to get over to where Clowney is, but Clowney is so aggressive rushing up the field that the RG can't get there in time to even impede him. There was just no time.

So on that score I have to give Clowney credit. He explodes into the backfield without any hesitation and simply beats the RG to the spot. With that said, I can't give him full credit as had the LT, LG, or even the FB been assigned to him he likely would not have been able to reach the RB with such devastating force. He gets credit for an explosive play, but his ability to make the play in such spectacular fashion was significantly helped by the blocking scheme coupled with Clowney's willingness to sell out to crash into the backfield.

As far as the legality of the hit, it was a solid hit. But in the context of the modern NFL, that hit would draw a fine and maybe a flag. I've watched a lot less get flagged and fined, and IMHO Clowney would have drawn both in the modern day NFL.

As far as Clowney himself goes, he's an impressive player.
S197
Fenrir

Post by S197 »

Nah that stuff rarely gets called on a running back. If it were a QB or defenseless receiver I could see but RB's take those types of shots all the time. I can't even remember a time when someone was flagged for a helmet to helmet hit on AD.