Cordarrelle Patterson

Talk about the latest College games and players and discuss the NFL Draft here. Get reports on players, prospects, Draft Links, the latest Mock Drafts and other indepth analysis, plus the latest on the NCAA College games.

Moderator: Moderators

Grashopa
Franchise Player

Cordarrelle Patterson

Post by Grashopa »

Saw that a few analysts had us picking up this guy at 23. From what i read he isnt first round talent but he looks speedy and elusive, he is a bit bigger than what we have at 6' 3" 220, but i didnt really see him going up and getting many balls from defenders. A LOT of yac.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vx6pGFvDqt0
Formerly AADPFan
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Re: Cordarrelle Patterson

Post by Mothman »

He's an intriguing player but one that would probably need some development. The downside to drafting someone like Patterson is that he only has one year of top-level NCAA production to assess.

Here's a link to a draft profile:

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/players/1996183
Grashopa
Franchise Player

Post by Grashopa »

yea, i read that earlier before i looked up the video. despite his "inexperience" at WR (as far as running routes...) he is a very dynamic ball carrier (possibly the best in the draft), i can see it now, harvin on on side, patterson on the other, fake the screen to one then toss the screen to the other... The draft is a long ways away though, we will just have to wait and see waht happens, but from what i see now we may be inline to pickup the #2 or 3 receiver in the draft whoever it is, Allen sounds like he would be a good physical downfield threat.
Formerly AADPFan
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

AADPFan wrote:yea, i read that earlier before i looked up the video. despite his "inexperience" at WR (as far as running routes...) he is a very dynamic ball carrier (possibly the best in the draft)
He clearly has some serious open field running skills and he looks like a natural. He made some great, fluid moves in the open field on that highlight reel. It will be interesting to see where he's projected as the draft gets closer.
VikingLord
Hall of Famer

Post by VikingLord »

Patterson will be the best WR from this year's class. Take that to the bank. I've watched the highlight videos of all of the top WR's, and while there will be some solid performers from this class, the only guy I see star potential in is Patterson. He turns routine catches into highlight reel plays on a regular basis. Displays excellent field vision and awareness and has that burst you look for in a game-changer at the pro level. Patterson doesn't have the experience of many of the other guys coming out, but even if he takes a year or two to develop, you can put him back returning punts and maybe kickoffs and you'll notice an immediate impact.

I would be ecstatic if the Vikes snagged Patterson at #23.
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

VikingLord wrote:Patterson will be the best WR from this year's class. Take that to the bank. I've watched the highlight videos of all of the top WR's, and while there will be some solid performers from this class, the only guy I see star potential in is Patterson. He turns routine catches into highlight reel plays on a regular basis. Displays excellent field vision and awareness and has that burst you look for in a game-changer at the pro level. Patterson doesn't have the experience of many of the other guys coming out, but even if he takes a year or two to develop, you can put him back returning punts and maybe kickoffs and you'll notice an immediate impact.

I would be ecstatic if the Vikes snagged Patterson at #23.
I doubt he'll last that long.
Eli
Hall of Famer

Post by Eli »

Exciting player. Kind of a cross between Randy Moss and Percy Harvin?

Not too many mock drafts show this class of receivers going very high. A lot of them have the first WR off the board being Keenan Allen going at #12 to Miami. Those ranking wide receivers currently have Patterson ranked anywhere from 2nd to 6th among WRs, with guys like Terrence Williams, Justin Hunter and DeAndre Hopkins all ranked higher than Patterson.
Purple bruise
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by Purple bruise »

The Vikes may need to move up earlier into the first round to get the player that they covet, similar to the move they made to get Harrison Smith. I think that they have an extra middle round pick this year too.
Do not mistake KINDNESS for WEAKNESS!

Best to keep your mouth shut and be thought a fool rather than open it and remove all doubt.
Eli
Hall of Famer

Post by Eli »

80 PurplePride 84 wrote:I guarantee at least one, if not 2 or 3 of Allen, Patterson, Williams and Hunter will be on the board for the Vikings at 23.
That's exactly what I'm thinking, if the draft analysts are anywhere near correct. Wide receivers won't be flying off the board until the late first round or into the second.
VikingLord
Hall of Famer

Post by VikingLord »

Mothman wrote: I doubt he'll last that long.
Why? WR isn't a huge position of need for most of the teams that draft in front of the Vikings. Of the ones that could use a WR, many of them have even more pressing needs and there is arguably greater value on the board at other positions. Also, Patterson has put up some impressive performances, but there is equal hype around other WRs and Patterson hasn't done it as long as many of his peers in this draft class.

I suspect at least one WR will be off the board by the time #23 rolls around, although there could be 2 gone. One of them will almost certainly be Allen, while I suspect Patterson's teammate, Justin Hunter, will be the second taken. Hunter is a special talent as well that had an off year due to his recovery from a knee injury, but he began to round back into form towards the end of the season and, if he has a solid Combine and pro day, probably will go before Patterson. Heck, if he shows well before the draft I might even consider him a good fit with the Vikes as well. He's a nice, big target who can go up and get those high floaters Ponder seems to throw a lot under pressure. While Patterson is a dynamic threat to score every time he touches it, Hunter could provide that big safety blanket and red zone receiving weapon that every young QB could use. If Hunter can stay healthy I could see him develop into a Brandon Marshall-type receiver.

Anyway, the long and short of it is if Harvin can last to the early 20's, Patterson can certainly last to #23. A lot depends on how teams value this WR group as a class and how the chips fall in the 10-20 range. I just don't see a lot of impetus for a run on WR's starting before the Vikes get their pick in.
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

VikingLord wrote:Why? WR isn't a huge position of need for most of the teams that draft in front of the Vikings.
Call it a moment of cynicism. :) I'm certainly no draft expert so I could be way off with that comment. I wasn't saying he can't last that long. He just seems like the kind of talent that often rises up boards during the months of hype leading up to the draft.
I suspect at least one WR will be off the board by the time #23 rolls around, although there could be 2 gone. One of them will almost certainly be Allen, while I suspect Patterson's teammate, Justin Hunter, will be the second taken. Hunter is a special talent as well that had an off year due to his recovery from a knee injury, but he began to round back into form towards the end of the season and, if he has a solid Combine and pro day, probably will go before Patterson. Heck, if he shows well before the draft I might even consider him a good fit with the Vikes as well. He's a nice, big target who can go up and get those high floaters Ponder seems to throw a lot under pressure. While Patterson is a dynamic threat to score every time he touches it, Hunter could provide that big safety blanket and red zone receiving weapon that every young QB could use. If Hunter can stay healthy I could see him develop into a Brandon Marshall-type receiver.
Yes, but I'd be wary of drafting a WR in the first round who has already had an ACL tear. I'm not sold on Hunter at all. Of the 3, I'd prefer Allen if they could get him because I think he's the most skilled player and I believe he might be the best fit for the Vikes.
Grashopa
Franchise Player

Post by Grashopa »

I would be over joyed with Allen or Patterson, I dont want to see Hunter on this team, we already have Childs filling in that role...

I think Patterson should just fall to us in the second... but i expect come draft day that wont even be a remote possibility
Formerly AADPFan
VikingLord
Hall of Famer

Post by VikingLord »

Watching the mocks coming out is interesting, because I don't see Patterson in the middle of many of them. He's either off the board early and is the first WR taken, or he lasts into the 2nd as 2 or 3 other big names from this WR class get snagged before him.

This suggests to me that Patterson has a high probability of becoming a draft rocket this year and will likely end up being taken much higher than he probably should ala Troy Williamson. A lot depends on what he shows at the Combine and at his pro day, but good showings there coupled with what he put on tape will probably seal the deal on his ultimate draft position and he'll probably end up as the 1st WR taken.

Kind of a bummer for the Vikes, but hardly the end of the world if it happens as I think there are 2-3 legit WR prospects who merit #23 in this year's draft. Vikes could also go in other directions there as well as I think Spielman will not reach at #23 if he has someone he likes more there. Vikes might find excellent value at DT, OL, or even DB sitting at #23 as well as WR.
Rus
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by Rus »

VikingLord wrote:Watching the mocks coming out is interesting, because I don't see Patterson in the middle of many of them. He's either off the board early and is the first WR taken, or he lasts into the 2nd as 2 or 3 other big names from this WR class get snagged before him.
When it comes to wide receivers, the combine means a lot to the guys making the mock drafts. Positions where athleticism makes a big difference are heavily affected by the combine. You really have to see them directly stacked up against similiar guys to have an idea...prior to the combine, everyone has their favorites and they usually plug their fav in early (which pushes down the other guys as it's all whether or not teams have a perceived need).

Walter Football, who is pretty reliable, has him going at 12. If Justin Hunter's knee checks out and he outperforms a lot of other guys at the combine, though, he could go pretty early. Robert Woods has been pretty good at USC, too.
-Rus
nfcnorthchamps25
Backup

Post by nfcnorthchamps25 »

He kind of reminds me a little of Jerome Simpson. Except for Patterson can actually catch the ball.