Vikings screwed by refs

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

bigskyeric
All Pro Elite Player

Re: Vikings screwed by refs

Post by bigskyeric »

There is plenty of blame to go around. Part of that can go to the Refs. Momentum is a HUGE part of winning. And nobody on this board can say what would have happened if 1 of those calls were made in our favor. Maybe AD would have ripped one off for a TD. It is what it is, and like my Saints buddy says...... Ya Gotta cheat to win these days.
Seek and Destroy
Sinatra
Starter

Post by Sinatra »

PurpleKoolaid wrote: But its the Packers. And no one on earth can say, with a straight face, that Packers dont get the majority of the calls (or no calls). Period. Its a fact, its has nothing to do with being a homer.

No, that's exactly what it is. You're a homer.

In 2012, Green Bay had 103 penalties; Minnesota had 90.
In 2011, Green Bay had 76 penalties; Minnesota had 109.
In 2010, Green Bay had 78 penalties; Minnesota had 100.
In 2009, Green Bay had 118 penalties (most in the league); Minnesota had 101.
In 2008, Green Bay had 110 penalties (2nd in the league); Minnesota had 90.
In 2007, Green Bay had 113 penalties (4th); Minnesota had 86.

In the last 6 years, Green Bay has had more penalties than Minnesota 4 out of 6 years -- and one year, Green Bay led the league for most penalties. In another year, 2nd most.

So yeah, whatever. Only losers whine that the refs prefer one team.
VikeMike
All Pro Elite Player

Post by VikeMike »

Come one, he's a fan ... being a homer is kind of the definition of a fan.
Did Jordy Nelson push off? Yeah. He got away with one. It happens. Was it the reason the Vikings lost? No. Not by any stretch of the imagination. The Vikings get favorable calls, too. It's part of the game.

It's really easy to perceive that your team gets screwed by the refs. I bet if most fans were honest with themselves, they would admit that they lean that way and think their team gets the worst of it. Officials miss calls. Again, part of the game. But, I think the missed calls are across the board pretty evenly.

The Vikes lost because we didn't play as well as the Packers. It's really that simple. I don't particularly like it, but that's the way it is. But the gap between these teams closed a little this year, and we'll be back next year and, hopefully, that gap will be closed.
"Meet at the quarterback"
beardedterror
All Pro Elite Player

Post by beardedterror »

Sinatra wrote:In the last 6 years, Green Bay has had more penalties than Minnesota 4 out of 6 years -- and one year, Green Bay led the league for most penalties. In another year, 2nd most.

So yeah, whatever. Only losers whine that the refs prefer one team.
That's because green bay always gets called for the stupid penalties that they can't get away with (and they commit a LOT of them). Things like false starts, encroachment/offsides, or delaying the game because of a challenge flag when it's already being reviewed. Oh wait...
admvp
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by admvp »

beardedterror wrote: That's because green bay always gets called for the stupid penalties that they can't get away with (and they commit a LOT of them). Things like false starts, encroachment/offsides, or delaying the game because of a challenge flag when it's already being reviewed. Oh wait...
:lol:
joe h
Veteran

Post by joe h »

New England and Packers, and to a lesser extent the Steelers and Saints, have no arguments against the officiating, for at least the next ten years. Ravens were also playing dirty yesterday, with several uncalled facemasks, and head shots. I think the problem is way too many rules, way too many judgement calls, and there is no way to contest rulings. Even questioning the officiating leads to fines. The NFL created this monster, now they need to figure out a way to stop it.
Sinatra
Starter

Post by Sinatra »

joe h wrote:New England and Packers, and to a lesser extent the Steelers and Saints, have no arguments against the officiating, for at least the next ten years. Ravens were also playing dirty yesterday, with several uncalled facemasks, and head shots. I think the problem is way too many rules, way too many judgement calls, and there is no way to contest rulings. Even questioning the officiating leads to fines. The NFL created this monster, now they need to figure out a way to stop it.
Welcome to professional sports.
mansquatch
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by mansquatch »

The only officiating issue I precieved was the Packers abuse of the downfield blocking by their WR on a number of their quick passing plays. This isn't a mistake by the officials as it is currently legal, but I suspect we may see a rules change by the league to address these types of plays since the Defense is at such a disadvantage on them.

I did not take issue with the officiating this season. The only call that was really questionable was the challenge flag in the last game, but that is also a case where the rule is probably going to be changed by the league.

We would have lost on Sunday even with in the tank officiating. Webb is just not a legit NFL QB.
Winning is not a sometime thing it is an all of the time thing - Vince Lombardi
NextQuestion
Career Elite Player

Post by NextQuestion »

On that Kuhn passing TD: hah... Bulaga was practically in the end zone and well past the 5 yard mark.

Pelissero tweeted during his film review "his did Newhouse never get called for holding?"

This was same officiating crew who did the 2010 lambeau match up who overturned Shiancoe's TD catch and have Andrew Quarless a bogus TD. The stars are aligning for GB. They've got officials in their pocket and media predicting them as SB winners, even though they're playing a team that beat them down week 1. Don't let 30-22 fool you. Cobb's punt return had the biggest block in the back I'd ever seen then the replacements picked the flag up.

Anyone remember giants game last post season? Bill Levy's crew tried their hardest to get GB favored but Giants overcame adversity. Something MN can't do.
Pull yr 84 jerseys out.
Sinatra
Starter

Post by Sinatra »

NextQuestion wrote: Pelissero tweeted during his film review "his did Newhouse never get called for holding?"

This was same officiating crew who did the 2010 lambeau match up who overturned Shiancoe's TD catch and have Andrew Quarless a bogus TD.
Lol yes, because I'm sure the Vikings offensive line never got away with any holding.

As to your second point, no -- just no. Regular season and post-season crews are completely different. So much for your conspiracy theory.
dead_poet
Commissioner

Post by dead_poet »

Sinatra wrote:Lol yes, because I'm sure the Vikings offensive line never got away with any holding.
Ah yes. The old "since we do it, you must do it to" argument. Solid.

Pelissero's take:
How did Newhouse get away with some of those bear hugs?
Clearly the refs were letting the Vikings do it too. Because, you know, it just feels like that's something that happened. They couldn't have played a cleaner game.
“Some people think football is a matter of life and death. I assure you, it's much more serious than that.” --- Bill Shankly
Sinatra
Starter

Post by Sinatra »

dead_poet wrote: Ah yes. The old "since we do it, you must do it to" argument. Solid.

Pelissero's take:
Clearly the refs were letting the Vikings do it too. Because, you know, it just feels like that's something that happened. They couldn't have played a cleaner game.
Every offensive line holds. Go back and watch your offensive line. You'll see them do it constantly too.
VikingLord
Hall of Famer

Post by VikingLord »

Sinatra wrote: Every offensive line holds. Go back and watch your offensive line. You'll see them do it constantly too.
Packers got away with some pretty blatant holds, though.

I don't think this is anything that affected the outcome of the game, though. Most of the critical penalties/mistakes committed by the Vikes were solely on them (12 men on the field, Williams lining up in the neutral zone before a 3rd down stop, Sherels muffing a punt), but still, the Packers benefited significantly from a few non-calls (Nelson pushing off, Bulaga being way downfield before the ball was thrown, and multiple non-calls on holds that likely would have seen Rodgers sacked).

I have to hand it to the Packers, though - they were the better team and have every chance to get back to another Superbowl and win it. Best of luck to them.
dead_poet
Commissioner

Post by dead_poet »

VikingLord wrote:Best of luck to them.
You take that back. :twisted:
“Some people think football is a matter of life and death. I assure you, it's much more serious than that.” --- Bill Shankly