Colored Fields

Talk about the latest College games and players and discuss the NFL Draft here. Get reports on players, prospects, Draft Links, the latest Mock Drafts and other indepth analysis, plus the latest on the NCAA College games.

Moderator: Moderators

Reignman
All Pro Elite Player

Colored Fields

Post by Reignman »

So what do we think of this colored turf fad? Is it a fad or a trend? First we had Boise State and their "smurf turf" now I see Eastern Washington has red turf. I get a headache whenever I watch a game on the smurf turf because my eyes keep trying to convince me the turf is green. Then I watched a bit of the Eastern Washington game yesterday and all I could think about was how it hurt my eyes. All red uniforms on a red field was a bit too much. It didn't help that the other team was wearing red pants and red helmets too. I'd hate to see NFL teams start using colored fields. It's unique, but it makes it very difficult to watch a game.

Boise State

Eastern Washington

West Hills High

University of Central Arkansas

Lindenwood University-Belleville
"Our playoff loss to the Vikings in '87 was probably the most traumatic experience I had in sports." -- Bill Walsh
glg
Site Admin

Re: Colored Fields

Post by glg »

Reignman wrote:I'd hate to see NFL teams start using colored fields.
Thankfully the NFL has rules against it.
S197
Fenrir

Post by S197 »

Ridiculous. Look at that Eastern Washington picture, the players practically disappear with the turf. What's next, teams get to dim the lights when the other team is kicking a field goal? If they're going to continue to allow this then they should at least put in a rule that the home team needs to wear their away whites.
PurpleMustReign
Starting Wide Receiver

Post by PurpleMustReign »

S197 wrote:Ridiculous. Look at that Eastern Washington picture, the players practically disappear with the turf. What's next, teams get to dim the lights when the other team is kicking a field goal? If they're going to continue to allow this then they should at least put in a rule that the home team needs to wear their away whites.

I agree, but the striped fields are the worst.
Although it would be fun to see the Gophers play on a marroon field.
The Devil whispered in the Viking's ear, "There's a storm coming." The Viking replied, "I am the storm." ‪#‎SKOL2018
Reignman
All Pro Elite Player

Post by Reignman »

glg wrote: Thankfully the NFL has rules against it.
They have actual rules against this? Good to know. :thumbsup:
S197 wrote:Ridiculous. Look at that Eastern Washington picture, the players practically disappear with the turf. What's next, teams get to dim the lights when the other team is kicking a field goal? If they're going to continue to allow this then they should at least put in a rule that the home team needs to wear their away whites.
That's a good point, but I wonder how the QB feels about it? I mean it can't be easy for him to spot his receivers in that sea of red. For the opposing QB it must look like his receivers are open all the time lol.
PurpleMustReign wrote:I agree, but the striped fields are the worst.
Although it would be fun to see the Gophers play on a marroon field.
It's the best I could do xD

And the Vikings on purple turf.
"Our playoff loss to the Vikings in '87 was probably the most traumatic experience I had in sports." -- Bill Walsh
PurpleMustReign
Starting Wide Receiver

Post by PurpleMustReign »

80 PurplePride 84 wrote:The purple turf actually looks cool.
That was my reaction too. I thimk the colored turfs wouldn't look so bad if they weren't so freakin bright.
The Devil whispered in the Viking's ear, "There's a storm coming." The Viking replied, "I am the storm." ‪#‎SKOL2018
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

PurpleMustReign wrote: That was my reaction too. I thimk the colored turfs wouldn't look so bad if they weren't so freakin bright.
That's part of the problem too but remember, in that shot, you're seeing the purple turf from a low angle. Watching play after play of football against that color from the typical high tv camera view would get old fast.
GoldenBear91
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by GoldenBear91 »

I'm not sure that it would effect the players...because they don't have the vantage point as the cameras. I don't think the QB would really have trouble seeing his guys, if it were a back drop on the end zone walls that would be a factor.

I think this is purely a fan problem. I think it is harder to watch a game on "special' turf...not a fan.
S197
Fenrir

Post by S197 »

GoldenBear91 wrote:I'm not sure that it would effect the players...because they don't have the vantage point as the cameras. I don't think the QB would really have trouble seeing his guys, if it were a back drop on the end zone walls that would be a factor.

I think this is purely a fan problem. I think it is harder to watch a game on "special' turf...not a fan.
The photoshopped pictures are from the field not a fans perspective. If you were to put purple pants on the Vikings, even level with the field there would be some blending.
Reignman
All Pro Elite Player

Post by Reignman »

It's hard on the eyes watching on TV. Whenever Boise State is on I can't watch much of the game, and I couldn't stand watching much of the Eastern Washington game. It makes me wonder what it's like to be at the stadium watching in person. Do many of the fans go home with migraines lol?

How long will it be before they go with transparent turf or where each blade of turf is made up of fiber optics so they can change the color as the game goes, or have it display ads or a light show during timeouts? I guess if they did that they could also have the first down line running across the field so the players could see it instead of having it super imposed on TV.
Reignman
All Pro Elite Player

Post by Reignman »

Reignman wrote:They have actual rules against this? Good to know. :thumbsup:
Sure enough, glg was right. I found this researching rule changes.
2011 - Nicknamed the "Boise State Rule", all playing fields must remain green, and not be in another color like the blue turf at Boise State's Bronco Stadium, unless approval is granted by the league. This was passed in response to a few sponsors who requested to change the colors in a few stadiums.
I'm just curious to know what those "sponsors" had in mind lol.
Eli
Hall of Famer

Post by Eli »

Reignman wrote:I'm just curious to know what those "sponsors" had in mind lol.
Well, let's see...

What color do you think IBM would want to paint the field?

How about Coca-Cola?

This is one of those things with big wow factor, but the novelty quickly wears off.