D2 and D3 playoffs???

Talk about the latest College games and players and discuss the NFL Draft here. Get reports on players, prospects, Draft Links, the latest Mock Drafts and other indepth analysis, plus the latest on the NCAA College games.

Moderator: Moderators

GoldenBear91
Pro Bowl Elite Player

D2 and D3 playoffs???

Post by GoldenBear91 »

Mankato State just got beat by Valdosta in the semis of D2 football play-offs...too bad.

Anyone following the D2 or D3 play-offs? St. Thomas is in the National Championship!

Minnesota repping at both divisions :rock:
BGM
Hall of Famer

Re: D2 and D3 playoffs???

Post by BGM »

Wow! The Tommies are picking up where the Johnnies left off.

The wild thing is that Mount Union has played in the Stagg Bowl 16 times in the past 20 years, winning 10 Championships. Unreal!!

Something even more insane? Mount Union and UW-Whitewater went head-to-head in the Stagg Bowl the past seven seasons, with Mount Union winning 3 times and UW-Whitewater winning 4 times.
"You can't be a real country unless you have a beer and an airline. It helps if you have some kind of a football team, or some nuclear weapons, but at the very least you need a beer." - Frank Zappa
GoldenBear91
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by GoldenBear91 »

BGM wrote:Wow! The Tommies are picking up where the Johnnies left off.

The wild thing is that Mount Union has played in the Stagg Bowl 16 times in the past 20 years, winning 10 Championships. Unreal!!

Something even more insane? Mount Union and UW-Whitewater went head-to-head in the Stagg Bowl the past seven seasons, with Mount Union winning 3 times and UW-Whitewater winning 4 times.
I've heard that Mount Union is just full of Ohio State rejects and D1 drop downs. They must be doing something right.
BGM
Hall of Famer

Post by BGM »

GoldenBear91 wrote: I've heard that Mount Union is just full of Ohio State rejects and D1 drop downs. They must be doing something right.
My supervisor played for the Johnnies in the late 90s/early 2000s and still follows D3 closely. Apparently the strongest conferences in D3 are in the South and the Midwest/West. The East has nothing football-wise, outside of Mount Union. Actually, the MIAC and WIAC are two of the strongest conferences. The Tommies beat UW-Oshkosh to make it to the Stagg Bowl this year.

In 2000, Mount Union faced St. John's. Mt. Union romped through their side of the bracket by scoring 70+ points per game. St. John's (with one loss on the season, Mt. Union was undefeated) lost to them 10-7. They do not face the same level of competition in their bracket that the MIAC and WIAC do.
"You can't be a real country unless you have a beer and an airline. It helps if you have some kind of a football team, or some nuclear weapons, but at the very least you need a beer." - Frank Zappa
PurpleMustReign
Starting Wide Receiver

Post by PurpleMustReign »

BGM wrote:In 2000, Mount Union faced St. John's. Mt. Union romped through their side of the bracket by scoring 70+ points per game. St. John's (with one loss on the season, Mt. Union was undefeated) lost to them 10-7. They do not face the same level of competition in their bracket that the MIAC and WIAC do.
I remember that because I had two friends who went to St. John's then. It would have been awesome had they won. They did win a few years later, if I am not mstaken, right?
The Devil whispered in the Viking's ear, "There's a storm coming." The Viking replied, "I am the storm." ‪#‎SKOL2018
BGM
Hall of Famer

Post by BGM »

PurpleMustReign wrote: I remember that because I had two friends who went to St. John's then. It would have been awesome had they won. They did win a few years later, if I am not mstaken, right?
Yes they did, in 2003.
GoldenBear91
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by GoldenBear91 »

I think the D3 Championship is tonight (Friday Dec 14th) if I am not mistaken...
BGM
Hall of Famer

Post by BGM »

Mount Union 28 St. Thomas 10

Mount Union scores twice in the last 16:04 to seal the win. 11th Championship for the Raiders.
GoldenBear91
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by GoldenBear91 »

:( Thats too bad...I was hoping for a St. Thomas win! I know a few of the St. Thomas coaches from back in the day. Oh well, next year...