Gophers

Talk about the latest College games and players and discuss the NFL Draft here. Get reports on players, prospects, Draft Links, the latest Mock Drafts and other indepth analysis, plus the latest on the NCAA College games.

Moderator: Moderators

Juice
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Gophers

Post by Juice »

:shock: That Defense! 2 fumbles, 2 INTs

:appl: Really got to hand it to Jerry Kill and his staff. Future looks bright.
"They say no matter how hard you work, there's always someone, somewhere working harder than you. Guess what? I'm that someone." -Kevin Garnett
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Re: Gophers

Post by Mothman »

Jerry Kill and his staff did a great job at Northern Illinois. I suspect he'll do likewise in Minnesota.

http://college-football.si.com/2012/09/ ... =obnetwork
HardcoreVikesFan
Hall of Famer

Post by HardcoreVikesFan »

Gophers didn't do very well this weekend! :wink:
A Randy Moss fan for life. A Kevin Williams fan for life.
Juice
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by Juice »

HardcoreVikesFan wrote:Gophers didn't do very well this weekend! :wink:
:lol: Yeah, they looked like crap. Still a work in progress.
"They say no matter how hard you work, there's always someone, somewhere working harder than you. Guess what? I'm that someone." -Kevin Garnett
JellyBean2144
Starter

Post by JellyBean2144 »

HardcoreVikesFan wrote:Gophers didn't do very well this weekend! :wink:
Yeah we stunk it up a bit. But we are getting better. I just hope that we can get two more wins.
PurpleMustReign
Starting Wide Receiver

Post by PurpleMustReign »

The Gophers will not go to a Bowl Game. They are done, just like with Brewster.
The Devil whispered in the Viking's ear, "There's a storm coming." The Viking replied, "I am the storm." ‪#‎SKOL2018
PurpleMustReign
Starting Wide Receiver

http://www.startribune.com/sports/gophe ... 97441.html
Gophers athletic director Norwood Teague graduated from the University of North Carolina, so he is well aware of his alma mater's reputation as a basketball school.

Apparently, Teague and Jerry Kill operate under the assumption that the Tar Heels suddenly are a football powerhouse, too.

The Gophers backed out of their home-and-home series with North Carolina in 2013-14 in favor of trying to find a lesser opponent. The kicker is even more of a doozy: The Gophers paid North Carolina $800,000 to cancel the series. That's right, an athletic department that struggles to make budget every year is forking over $800,000 to avoid playing North Carolina.
That would be comical if it weren't so pathetic.

We're not talking about canceling a game against Alabama. Or Southern California. Or even South Carolina.
I am done with Gopher football until Jerry Kill is fired. What a tool. He must have hit his head on the floor too many times during his seizures or something because he has completely lost it. What an embarrassment to the BigTen Conference. You would never see Wisconsin, Ohio State, or even Northwestern pull this kind of stunt.
The Devil whispered in the Viking's ear, "There's a storm coming." The Viking replied, "I am the storm." ‪#‎SKOL2018
glg
Site Admin

Post by glg »

PurpleMustReign wrote:or even Northwestern
3 out of our 4 non-conference games this year were against BCS conference schools (and we went 3-0 in those games). For the next 4 years, we play at least 2 BCS schools a year. With this backout, the Gophers play none, with those 2 dates open, so at best they could play 1 each the next 2 years. The next time they'll face a non-conference BCS team is 2017-18 with a home-and-home with Oregon State.

Pathetic.
PurpleMustReign
Starting Wide Receiver

glg wrote: 3 out of our 4 non-conference games this year were against BCS conference schools (and we went 3-0 in those games). For the next 4 years, we play at least 2 BCS schools a year. With this backout, the Gophers play none, with those 2 dates open, so at best they could play 1 each the next 2 years. The next time they'll face a non-conference BCS team is 2017-18 with a home-and-home with Oregon State.

Pathetic.
If they don't back out of that one too. It is an embarrassment to the Big Ten.
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

PurpleMustReign wrote: If they don't back out of that one too. It is an embarrassment to the Big Ten.
It's pathetic. It's odd too, since when Kill was at NIU they played opponents that were "out of their league". Maybe that philosophy was a holdover from the previous era, where coach Joe Novak built NIU from a sad football program into a very competitive, Bowl-worthy team. Novak used games against high-profile opponents to help raise the profile of his program. Kill did a good job as his successor but news like this makes me glad he's gone, especially since current coach Dave Doeren has done what Kill couldn't: win Bowls game and a MAC Championship. :)

This news certainly changes the way I view Jerry Kill.
CalVike
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by CalVike »

Gophers are sad. Glen Mason had a 32-48 Big Ten record in ten seasons. Teague & Kill are stating they need to climb a mountain to get to where Mason was. I am not sure whether to laugh or cry. Go Gophers!
PurpleKoolaid
Hall of Famer

Post by PurpleKoolaid »

I dont what some of you are thinking when talking about Coach Kill. He hasnt done a good thing since he came here.
PurpleKoolaid
Hall of Famer

Post by PurpleKoolaid »

Whats even sadder to me is what Tubby Smith hasnt done to our basketball team. MN sports right now are pretty bad (
CalVike
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by CalVike »

Well, they beat Purdue today. 44-28. That's good.
PurpleMustReign
Starting Wide Receiver

YAY!!! Mediocre Bowl game here we come!!!